• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization: Beyond Earth |OT| - The Future of Mankind

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
From the IGN review:

That really sounds crappy for a Civ game. I hope he's mistaken somehow, this sounds like it would make the conclusion of each game kind of unsatisfying.

It's correct, in my experience. I encountered the same scenario that IGN's reviewer did--losing suddenly, and not knowing exactly why until I reloaded. There's no after-action report.

That really sucks. I think I'll wait a bit on buying this to hear user reviews and such first. IMHO Civ 5 is kind of light on the after action report end of things, if Civ:BE is even worse then that's not acceptable to me.

I'm sure I'll buy it eventually, but that makes it sound like the game needs a few patches or an expansion first....

Sevenfold

That really sucks. I think I'll wait a bit on buying this to hear user reviews and such first. IMHO Civ 5 is kind of light on the after action report end of things, if Civ:BE is even worse then that's not acceptable to me.

I'm sure I'll buy it eventually, but that makes it sound like the game needs a few patches or an expansion first....

Definitely a bug. The audio video has mention of sompletion screens.

My game is unlocked!

It's 2am

Shit

See you in the morning!

OMGOMGOMG!

BibiMaghoo

This thread makes me sad I don't get paid until the 31st.

Hope you all enjoy the game. Come back and tell me how much it rocks.

My friends and I are going to play a "blank slate" game tomorrow since we're all getting it. All of us are goin in blind in terms of the tech and starting stuff and strategies and all that jazz. Should be fun, before they put 100 hours into the game and can kick my ass left and right.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

I'm expecting plenty of problems to be patched over time. Just the nature of the civ beast. But if the turn to turn gameplay is fun I'm in.

CloudWolf

Ths is a bad time for a PC gamer and student like myself. Civ: BE and two pretty substantial expansions for Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV in one month. Goddammit, I have papers to write, I've got no time for all this strategy goodness.

Phades

When I play Civilization it's basically like I step into a wormhole that transports me 8 hours into the future.

Only 8? There have been days where I forgot that there was daylight at some point in time and that I probably should have eaten about 20-30 turns ago.

Dr Dogg

Well Firaxis sure know how to make a intro to get you excited!

This is a copypaste of TotalBiscuits "WTF is" impression summary...courtesy of reddit.
locked at 60 fps, apparently no performance issues (do consider that TB's machine is very powerful)
WTF is...Civilization: Beyond Earth video.

Yeah wouldn't take TB's advice on anything too technical as he's been found wanting time and time again. For example.
2EAIMDc.png

That's a little more than 60fps.

Serandur

Ths is a bad time for a PC gamer and student like myself. Civ: BE and two pretty substantial expansions for Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV in one month. Goddammit, I have papers to write, I've got no time for all this strategy goodness.

I think you mean you have three games to play, you've got no time for that paper-writing nonsense.

your education/career only last until you retire, these games are forever.

Dr Dogg

Turn vsync on with a 120hz monitor...? Pretty sure that's what he means.

Nope VSYNC works fine in line with refresh rate.

Granted my 120hz monitor is going a little wonky and only gave me 1680x1050@109hz (I have no idea, probably due to not restarting) but with VSYNC engaged, and more importantly restarted the game (as the tool tip tells you) it syncs at your refresh rate.

Maybe I should be a snakry cynical Brit and make YouTube videos :p

Well that's disappointing, can't select a resolution over 1280x720. Others saying same thing on Steam forums.

Hmmm well on my usual monitor I get these show up with Nvidia's DSR enabled (yes that works folks)

But plugging in my 120hz 1920x1080 LG monitor didn't give me my appropriate resolutions that were available in the system. Could be something odd going on but drivers are always a good first port of call to check.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Damn having issues launching the game. Monitor is going to a black screen but I can hear the music in the background. I think this happened with civ 5 too. Anyone know how to fix this?

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Seems like they got a bit of inspiration from Endless Space.

I'll probably get this when my paycheck gets transferred in the next day, regardless of some of the iffy reviews.

BeesEight

Hah, so here's an interesting take on it. Saw this pop up in my feed, one guy has some thematic issues with the game: http://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...on-beyond-earth-reviewthe-mistakes-of-ma.html

I don't know. It is, ultimately, a civilization game. To complain that Beyond Earth is hollow because it contains the standard 4x gameplay mechanics of a 4x strategy game seems somewhat pointless. I also think it's telling that the author didn't give any suggestions of what the gameplay should contain.

It's nice and all to think that a futuristic game isn't forward-thinking enough but I don't know what he expected. This mostly comes across as "this isn't different enough for me even though I don't know what I want it to be." There's nothing to suggest that the future isn't going to be filled with aggressive, dominating colonization any more than we'll reach some weird Zen bliss and mutuality where we descended from our spaceships like some weird communism deities here to spread the good word of equitable communalism. The whole point of the affinity mechanic appears to be the representation of a clash of ideals and how the different factions handle that clash.

I mean, if you're Harmony and all you want to do is sing kumbaya with bull ants, what are you going to do when a Purity faction comes through to murder your beloved alien nests and clean up their eco-system in order to plant a whole bunch of invasive Earth species?

It would be nice to see a game with a robust diplomacy system but at no point can you really ignore the option that people are likely to solve their problems with bullets. Plus, it's a base release. Every version of Civ is kind of "bare bones" on launch. The article even mentions that Civ V didn't become truly complex until its two expansions.

Nephrahim

I don't doubt that they'll hotfix this in a couple of hours, or even minutes, but stuff like that is just mind boggling. Really. How can you fuck up that bad.

I don't even understand how it could happen. Were they not playing at 1080p when they were testing?

Sevenfold

There is no 1920 x 1080 choice in video options... So looks like I'm having the same problems as others.

Weird 1080p was fine in fullscreen for me, playing in 1650x1050 windowed just like Civ 5 and it's great. Performance is super.

Does anyone have a list of keyboard shortcuts? I'm missing my yeild and resources buttons.

So is it actually safe to use VPN to unlock games on Steam? I remember some reports of people getting banned for that, but that might just have been misinformation. Is there a clear consensus or is it still somewhat risky to do that?

Chariot

So how easy to use are VPNs? I'm getting tired of waiting.
it took me about a minute with this guide bjaelke posted

Follow this guide: http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=148418

In step 6 you just have to pick one of the countries in Zone 1 instead of US.

---

So is it actually safe to use VPN to unlock games on Steam? I remember some reports of people getting banned for that, but that might just have been misinformation. Is there a clear consensus or is it still somewhat risky to do that?
Buying in the shop with VPN is bad, but unlocking games earlier is ok, as far as I heard.

Lucifon

Okay so, how do you spend energy on units? It says to press 'purchase' and choose a unit but...I don't see purchase anywhere.

Edit - found it :D On the city 'map' style screen.

Strider

Weird 1080p was fine in fullscreen for me, playing in 1650x1050 windowed just like Civ 5 and it's great. Performance is super.

Does anyone have a list of keyboard shortcuts? I'm missing my yeild and resources buttons.

What kind of monitor are you using? I did a little bit of reading on the steam forums and it seems 60 hertz monitors are fine but 120/144 hz are the ones that seemed to be bugged at the moment.

Sevenfold

What kind of monitor are you using? I did a little bit of reading on the steam forums and it seems 60 hertz monitors are fine but 120/144 hz are the ones that seemed to be bugged at the moment.

Ah. Yeah playing on a Sony W55-955 at 60hz. Everything is the same as Civ 5 resolutions wise. Maybe create a custom res at 60hz as a workaround until they hotfix?

Sevenfold

^^ I do believe it's a bug. In the soundtrack/audio design vid on Youtube there is mention of the report.

it took me about a minute with this guide bjaelke posted

---

Buying in the shop with VPN is bad, but unlocking games earlier is ok, as far as I heard.

Yeah besides spamming a server to get in, it was a few seconds. Valve would struggle to police VPN for early unlocks, no doubt they've got the metrics to show the surge come release and it's been going on for years. It doesn't hurt them in any way. Also it shows they aren't blind to the stupidity of staggered releases no matter how small in this day and age.

Top Bottom