• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

trinest

Ysiadmihi said:
I have to say I'm not liking the DLC approach to this game. If there was an expansion coming I'd probably be amped for some new civs but when they release new ones every few months it just doesn't feel exciting.
I avoid the DLC- mainly because I don't got the cash/not playing the game ATM. But when I do finally buy it- it will be one admazing game.

Botolf said:
The AI definitely seems less stupid as of this patch.
Indeed. You can no longer declare war on your neighbour, bait him into a choke point and pick off his entire army. Instead, the AI will hang back in his own territory, forcing you to make the first move. It's certainly more challenging to keep your casualties to a minimum.

Sblargh

Banned
I used to autowin when trying to do a domination or diplomatic victory, but now, with better AI and tweaks to the policies, I have a much easier time playing pacifist. It is completely viable to have just a few cities and play defense (also, it is a lot of fun to defend against bigger number) and steamrolling the AI with few units is no longer a thing.
-
And I'm biting the DLC, but not really sure if I recommend, I don't think the extra civs are making the game significantly different.

Shambles

trinest said:
I avoid the DLC- mainly because I don't got the cash/not playing the game ATM. But when I do finally buy it- it will be one admazing game.

Yeah, it looks like Civ5 is starting to shape up pretty decently but when a dev rolls out DLC like this it only causes me to wait a year or two until there is a GOTY edition with all the DLC included for dirt cheap. Creating expansions is not only much more enjoyable for me as a consumer but feels more honest as well since I know i'm not getting content cut in order ot fill DLC plans.

Sblargh

Banned
Shambles said:
Yeah, it looks like Civ5 is starting to shape up pretty decently but when a dev rolls out DLC like this it only causes me to wait a year or two until there is a GOTY edition with all the DLC included for dirt cheap. Creating expansions is not only much more enjoyable for me as a consumer but feels more honest as well since I know i'm not getting content cut in order ot fill DLC plans.

Well, I associate civ expansions more with new mechanics than new civs. If an expansion adds no civs, but stuff like espionage, corporations and UN votes, I'll bite.

Meier

I want to buy the DLC for this but I don't think it has ever put it on sale... is it worth it? Any recommendations?

Edit: Looks like previous posts are about it, guess I better read up. :)

Firebrand

Seems like the new DLC is available for purchase over at D2D. They're available to some EU countries even at the US site.

US: http://www.direct2drive.com/2/10786/product/Buy-Sid-Meier's-Civilization-V---Denmark-and-Explorer's-Combo-Pack-Download?hph
UK: http://www.direct2drive.co.uk/10786/product/Buy-Sid-Meier's-Civilization-V---Denmark-and-Explorer's-Combo-Pack-Download (standalone Civ DLC costs more than combo pack, error?)

Think I'm going to hold off until the Steam summer sale myself though, just bought the 4 other DLC Civs during the Steam 2K sale.

Meier said:
I want to buy the DLC for this but I don't think it has ever put it on sale... is it worth it? Any recommendations?
Edit: Looks like previous posts are about it, guess I better read up. :)
I think they're fun if you play a lot of Civ5, esp Incas and Polynesia which have got unique tile improvements. As Incas you'll want to find mountain ranges with tiles adjacent to multiple mountain tiles, and full movement + no tile improvement cost in hills can be incredibly convenient. As Polynesia building long ranges of moai along coasts can give significant early game culture boosts, though at the cost of not being able to build other improvements on those tiles. I find Babylon and Spain less exciting, though Spain has some nice peace music. :)

If you're not in a hurry though, I'd suggest you wait for a sale on Steam or D2D. I'm assuming they'll keep dropping more DLC and it $5 / €3.50 per single civ adds up, it's not great value.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So buy it. The DLC was on sale for 2-3$ and the game's been on sale for 22. There's no reason to hold out when it hits that price again.

leroidys

The scenarios for Mongols and Spain/Inca are actually pretty good making the dlc almost worth it... the scenario for polynesia is awful but its probably the coolest civ in the game, so its a tough call. They are overpriced, but its definitely not throwing your money away if you get the dlc.

leroidys

Meh the Danish civilization is incredibly boring compared to the last couple releases. I'm regretting this one.

I'm also surprised that they put them in at this time, since copenhagen is already a city-state. I was expecting a netherlands/indonesia, as neither of them are represented in the city states (as far as I remember) and would make great civs.

evilwart

Copenhagen and Oslo have been replaced with Sydney and Quebec, so I guess having a city-state in game doesn't necessarily rule out a civilization.

leroidys

evilwart said:
Copenhagen and Oslo have been replaced with Sydney and Quebec, so I guess having a city-state in game doesn't necessarily rule out a civilization.

Oh cool I didn't know that they were replaced, thanks. Whether it rules them out or not though, a Netherlandish city or Indonesian (4th most populous country in the world!) city are conspiscuous in their absence.

Cday

Banned
I recently started playing this again and there have been I want to say 5 or so updates since I last played it. I get to the point where I have nukes and rebase it to find that the incredibly annoying bug that causes the nuke to still show up in the city it used to be in is still present. How can this still be a problem? There's no excuse for this crap.

r1chard

I've never played any single-player scenarios in a Civilisation game before, but decided to give the Khan scenario a go last night. Looks like it could be good fun!

Did they change something? Instead of getting mad at me for settling too close or allying with the wrong person, a country just declares war with no warning.

Firebrand said:
I find Babylon and Spain less exciting, though Spain has some nice peace music. :)

Spain is a hit or miss civilization due to the power of Isabella's bonus, but its pretty incredible to have a combat/settler unit if you don't mind the culture cost.

I know these DLC aren't the cheapest offerings out there, but I must admit I've found myself buying them as fast as they come out. Civ is crack.

I haven't been playing for awhile (work and such), and I was planning to read the manual so I could bring myself back up to speed, but have all the patches and updates rendered the manual useless (or is it fine, but of course also read the patch notes)?

Oh why did the game get 500 1 star reviews on Amazon? I was just looking today and was just deeply confused. I've had a ton of fun with the game and nothing to think that it's awful.

RhombusPrime said:
Has there been any word on adding a hotseat mode?
Apparently there is a much requested feature coming soon... I'm hoping it's Hot Seat.
Teh Hamburglar said:
Did they change something? Instead of getting mad at me for settling too close or allying with the wrong person, a country just declares war with no warning.
The AI will now attack weak civs with no warning. You'll need to field a stronger army to maintain peaceful relationships.
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Any thoughts on the manual question?
The manual will still help with the basics, but so many units and buildings have had their costs/abilities changed (considerably), that you can probably throw it away and just read the changelogs.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
marvelharvey said:
The manual will still help with the basics, but so many units and buildings have had their costs/abilities changed (considerably), that you can probably throw it away and just read the changelogs.
I thought the move to a digital manual was partly driven by the fact they could update it to reflect balance/patch changes? Is this not the case?

XiaNaphryz said:
I thought the move to a digital manual was partly driven by the fact they could update it to reflect balance/patch changes? Is this not the case?
The filename for it was 1.0. To the best of my knowledge it hasn't been updated since Day 1.

marvelharvey said:

So basically pages 17-115 are still useful (and perhaps Air Combat and Nukes)? Any good site for a list of all the Changelogs?

XiaNaphryz said:
Last time I checked, it was still 1.0.

EDIT: The in-game help has been updated however.

marvelharvey said:
The AI will now attack weak civs with no warning. You'll need to field a stronger army to maintain peaceful relationships.

holy shitsnacks. Gotta retool my strats! Damn you Queen Elizabeth! Damn you all to helll!

Sibylus

Banned
Teh Hamburglar said:
holy shitsnacks. Gotta retool my strats! Damn you Queen Elizabeth! Damn you all to helll!
Yeah, I got wtfstomped by the Arabians in my last game, they'd subject me to a degenerative cycle of war and peace, continual men/materiel/money losses meant I couldn't keep up in terms of technology and troop quality/numbers. All I had going for me were my Citadel chokepoints, but the AI often avoided them and thinned my lines elsewhere. Before I conceded, I lacked the manpower to even man the silly things and guard other places simultaneously.

KingK

Why is there such a big jump in difficulty between difficulty 3 and 4? Whenever I play on 4, it's so hard to keep my civ happy and I almost always run a deficit. So I usually play on 3 because it's more fun when your not struggling to keep your civ happy the entire game, but I would prefer more challenging AI opponents.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
KingK said:
Why is there such a big jump in difficulty between difficulty 3 and 4? Whenever I play on 4, it's so hard to keep my civ happy and I almost always run a deficit. So I usually play on 3 because it's more fun when your not struggling to keep your civ happy the entire game, but I would prefer more challenging AI opponents.
Starting around Prince you will probably have to devote some time to erecting buildings such as coliseums that bolster happiness (and if you are really struggling, you can always aim for the circus maximus). Until then, you can trade for resources that you don't have for a short reprieve from temporary bouts of unhappiness. You might also want to be a little more discriminatory of city locations and size. It's best to mold cities in such a way as to maximize happiness. Choose locations based on access to resources.

For some reason I had a lot of trouble the first time I tried Prince, even though the first three difficulty levels were a breeze. However, happiness is an acute problem once you reach Immortal, which I still have never really beaten fairly, since the AI can still city spam on the higher difficulty levels. I wish that they'd rebalance the AI: take away their advantages but scale the intelligence and strategic ability.

noise36

Been playing since civ 1 and so very dissapointed in the paid dlc.

No respect for the fans charging so much for so little.

One thing I like about Civ is how you can create little narratives based on what other civs do.

I accidentally the whole night last night (the slowdown for this on Macs is so horrendous that I couldn't even pull up the Steam overlay to check the time...)

Anyway, I was England, and Germany decided to be an ass and attack me from about the 1400s to 1600s, taking Nottingham since I had a small army at the time. I eventually made a bad peace (for me) and slowly built up my forces and tech, eventually coming back to retake Nottingham as well as capture Berlin and a couple other cities in a long war that lasted from the 1800s to about the 1940s (England at war with Germany, hah!) handily defeating the massive amounts of lower tech German units with rifleman and the like. I had no access to horses for the longest time since Nottingham had those -_- and there wasn't any iron in my empire for awhile either.

Anyway, my tech was a bit stunted since I had been at war for so long, and all of a sudden in the 80s the Ottoman Empire rolls up with like 4 artillery and a ton of infantry and handily takes Nottingham, now my only source of Uranium. Before this, Gandhi was kind of being warmongering ass (as usual). So now even though I have developed the Manhattan Project and the ability to make nuclear bombs, I don't have access to the resource needed to end the war. The Ottoman Empire is bearing down on London and various other cities and my army has been small and immobile ever since I defeated the Germans and splintered their territory.

Probably just going to start a new game (on my Windows partition) since it was not looking good for me.

And what's the deal with Open Borders agreements? The AI always wants them, but hell if I'm agreeing to letting others units roam around in my territory. In Civ 4 this would always end up poorly for me with whomever moving a settler into the one little bit of unclaimed land between my cities that I had intended to connect by road/border expansion.

Deku

Banned
AI knows your military strength via demographics screen (granted human players can't see strength for each Civ but you can sort of guess based on where you're ranked)

However, the AI won't know your weak points , and troop placement without scouting your territory. They do however see into your territory within visual range of their units.

Protip, do not give open borders if you don't trust your neighbour.

Instro

noise36 said:
Been playing since civ 1 and so very dissapointed in the paid dlc.

No respect for the fans charging so much for so little.

I give them a break considering their patches have been so comprehensive. Besides all the DLC was 50% on steam recently, which is when I grabbed a few of them. I dont feel too bad about it.

Spl1nter

Instro said:
I give them a break considering their patches have been so comprehensive. Besides all the DLC was 50% on steam recently, which is when I grabbed a few of them. I dont feel too bad about it.

the patches that fix the things broken in the game?

Instro

Spl1nter said:
the patches that fix the things broken in the game?

A lot of those patches have also added or retooled game play elements, all I'm saying is that their post game support has been pretty solid.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Instro said:
A lot of those patches have also added or retooled game play elements, all I'm saying is that their post game support has been pretty solid.

Yup. I went for a few months without playing and when I came back it felt like a complete expansion pack had been done in terms of game mechanics. As much as I hate this DLC model I definitely don't have a problem with it funding patches.

Instro

Ysiadmihi said:
Yup. I went for a few months without playing and when I came back it felt like a complete expansion pack had been done in terms of game mechanics. As much as I hate this DLC model I definitely don't have a problem with it funding patches.

Thats been my experience, I haven't been able to play the game regularly but every time I come back there seems to have been some significant changes which is nice.

Any word on a Pitboss server yet? Nothing comes up when googling about it :(.

Considering the rapid pace, and that most of my games are MP, I don't really care to jump in until I know I'll be able to play in my regular games.

electricpirate said:
Any word on a Pitboss server yet? Nothing comes up when googling about it :(.

Considering the rapid pace, and that most of my games are MP, I don't really care to jump in until I know I'll be able to play in my regular games.

One of the problems with this game was that it was actually developed without an experienced MP programmer. They've had a job posting for one on their site for several months now and the position has gone unfilled. All improvements made to A.i. are still a long way coming IMO, especially given the volume of flaws regular MP has.

markot

Banned
I am currently playing on a map, and there have been 0 deposits of Aluminium and coal on it >_>

WHAT!!!!!!!!!

No other civ has them, and they are no where to be seen!

I just started a game on the Continents + map and, uh...Alexander is batshit insane.

I'm playing as the Vikings - I started quite peaceful, but pissed off Alexander for settling a city too near him. I apologised, but then he started acting like a dick, comparing me to barbarians and telling the world what an asshole I am. I ignored it for the most part, but started massing an army at his border. He got pissy about that and declared war on me. I marched my army in, took one of his cities and was about to take another when he capitulated and gave me a ton of resources and three of his remaining cities in exchange for ten turns of peace!

The very next turn he complained that I was buying too many tiles near him (wtf?) and ten turns later declared war, lol. I'm about to crush Athens. Fuck you Alexander, you're almost as crazy as Ghandi.

Bootaaay said:
I just started a game on the Continents + map and, uh...Alexander is batshit insane.

I'm playing as the Vikings - I started quite peaceful, but pissed off Alexander for settling a city too near him. I apologised, but then he started acting like a dick, comparing me to barbarians and telling the world what an asshole I am. I ignored it for the most part, but started massing an army at his border. He got pissy about that and declared war on me. I marched my army in, took one of his cities and was about to take another when he capitulated and gave me a ton of resources and three of his remaining cities in exchange for ten turns of peace!

The very next turn he complained that I was buying too many tiles near him (wtf?) and ten turns later declared war, lol. I'm about to crush Athens. Fuck you Alexander, you're almost as crazy as Ghandi.

I love Ghandi. That SOB goaded me into declaring war against Montezuma (who had a huge army), then immediately turned around and declared war on me. Now, whenever the AI asks me to go to war with another AI, I tell 'em to go take a hike.

Gaborn

so, there is a new patch upcoming:

And before anyone asks, the ETA is still the same as before: late June or possibly early July.

[NOTES]
Pacing has received a large amount of work. Expect to have more of a challenge managing your empire at higher difficulty levels than you did before. Consider dropping a difficulty level if you have problems.
Existing saves will work correctly. However, the balance pass may make your existing happiness lower than expected when loading into your existing save post-patch.

[UI]
Civilopedia now available in the Main Menu (under “Other”)
Replay is now available at the end of the game, and through the main menu. You can choose Map, Graphs, and turn-by-turn. Only games played post-patch will apply.
Great People progress UI addition (upper-left Info Corner UI).
Combat preview for Aircraft UI addition.
Fixed aircraft UI issue causing the aircraft selection UI to duplicate itself when rebasing aircraft.
When loading save game files, you can now order the list by name, or last modified.

[DIPLOMACY]
Made backstab routine more transparent (the dialog will clearly state that they are backstabbing you).
AI now remembers when it has been nuked, for a permanent diplomatic penalty.
AI now recognizes a player that captured their capital for a permanent diplomatic penalty.
End declaration of friendship as soon as war is declared (so can't later get a notification that it has expired).
AI remembers if you satisfied one of their requests (positive modifier, decays over time, based on value of items granted).
AI remembers if you fought against a common foe (positive modifier, decays over time, based on damage done to the common foe).
Track trades between players and allow that to positively influence relationships (the better the deal for the AI, the stronger the modifier). Particularly useful for bribing a hostile AI.

[AI]
Rebalanced AI flavors and strategies for unit training to improve AI army composition and build choices.
Allow the AI to consider Pikeman units for offensive roles when they can't build Swordsman or Longswordsman.
Allow Alexander and Darius to consider Hoplites and Immortals for offensive roles in early game.
AI players may now use a Great General in early rushes on higher difficulties.
Modified flavor tags for Atomic Bomb and Nuclear Missile so AI builds them only when it decides it specifically wants Nukes.
Block City States from building carriers, atomic weapons.
Strategies for building mobile units now persist into Modern era to help AI decisions for when to build tanks and modern armor.
Dampen early game Grand Strategies to give the AI time to expand (AI were sometimes stuck in a single city until late in the game).
Victory adjustments to AI behaviors, including alternate victory paths as “back-ups” (for example, building the Apollo Program, even if they are not going for a Spaceship victory).
Revise code calculating recommended army size (using smaller armies if the threat is low).
Correct issue that was causing late-game continent-bound AI’s to over-build units intending to invade, and never properly execute the amphibious invasion.
Scale recommended army sizes based on difficulty level.
AI grand strategy and flavor weighting balance pass.
AI policy choice weighting balance pass.
AI tech choice weighting balance pass.

[GAMEPLAY]
Player is now given the option to return a CS worker that they free from barbarians.
Roads under captured cities no longer charge maintenance.
Machu Picchu no longer destroyed when capturing a city containing Machu Picchu.

[MULTIPLAYER]
Multiplayer AI is now consistent with Single Player AI.
Hot-Seat is now available through the multiplayer menu.
You can have as many humans playing as available slots in the game.
Password protection is built in.
All maps, including purchased and user-created, are available to play in Hot-Seat.
While play-by-email is not yet implemented, we did include an in-between turn saving option for those that want to play via email.

[BALANCE]
Mechanics
Policy “Finishers” added to all 10 policy trees. Taking all policies in a tree will grant an additional bonus effect. See policy notes below for more information.
Tweaked Policy cost formula (cheaper earlier, more expensive later).
Reduced per-city Policy cost increase by 50%.
Culture from City States tweaked (less early, more later).
Killing a barbarian for a city state now gives 12 influence (was 5).
Production cost adjustments for units/buildings/wonders (mostly a little cheaper, much cheaper late game).
Unhappiness per city increased to 3 from 2.
All great person tile improvements now connect all strategic resources.
Reduced Culture from Goody Huts to 20 from 30.
Defense penalty and city assault bonus promotions are now lost with upgrade.
Research agreements now give a tech boost instead of a free tech. Tech boosts start at 50% of the median value of all techs you can research. Can be boosted to 100% if you both start Rationalism and build the Porcelain Tower.

Terrain, Resources, and Improvements
New bonus resource: Stone (+1 production, improved with a Quarry). See the Stone Works building note below for additional details.
Map generation improvements to integrate Stone into production-poor terrain, reducing the temporary usage of Cows. Additionally, will switch grass bonus resources from Cows to Stone when production is needed.
Marsh and Fallout terrain penalty reduced from -33 to -15.
Academy yield increases with Scientific Theory.
Customs House yield increases with Economics.
Manufactory yield increases with Chemistry.
Marble wonder production mod reduced to 15%.
Luxury resources now give 4 Happiness, down from 5.
Remove penalty for improving Tundra, Snow and Desert.
Railroad improvement now takes 3 turns, down from 7.
Scrub Fallout now takes 2 turns, down from 5.
Repair improvement now takes 2 turns, down from 3.
Well improvements now remove jungle/forest/marsh.

Buildings
New building: Stone Works: +1 Happiness and +1 production, and +1 production for each source of Marble and Stone worked. Requires Marble or Stone.
Burial Tomb now correctly has an Artist slot.
Mud Pyramid Mosque reduced 1 Culture.
Circus moved to Trapping.
Forge maintenance reduced 1 gold.
Windmill production modifier reduced 5% to 10%.
Monastery base Culture reduced from 3 to 2. Per resource Culture unchanged.
Mint gold per resource reduced by 1 gold.
Colosseum maintenance reduced by 1 gold, Happiness reduced by 1.
Theatre maintenance reduced by 1 gold, Happiness reduced by 1.
Stadium maintenance reduced by 1 gold, Happiness reduced by 1.
Broadcast tower cultural modifier reduced to 33% but now gives 3 Culture.
Armory maintenance reduced by 1 gold and moved to Machinery.
Military academy maintenance reduced by 2 gold.
Arsenal moved to rifling and now provides city defense instead of unit production.
Walls now gives 4 Defense (was 5).
Walls of Bablylon now give 6 Defense (was 7.5).
Mughal Fort now gives 6 Defense (was 9).
Castle now gives 4 Defense (was 7.5).
University maintenance reduced by 1 gold and now gives a 33% boost to science instead of 50% (will increase to 50% after adopting Free Thought Policy).
Military Academy now requires Armory instead of Barracks.
Arsenal now requires Castle instead of Military Academy.
Military Base now requires Arsenal.
Wat now requires Library.
Mud Pyramid Mosque now requires Monument.
Harbor naval production reduced 10% but now increases sea resources yield by 1 hammer.
Seaports no longer require a sea resource, they now require a Harbor. Production per sea resource reduced by 1 hammer.
Factory production increased by 1 hammer but modifier decreased to 10%.
Solar/Nuclear plant cost greatly reduced.
Solar/Nuclear plant production increased by 1 hammer but modifier decreased to 15%.
Public School science per population reduced by 50% and now provides a flat 3 science.
Research Laboratory modifier reduced by 50% but now gives a flat 4 science.
Workshop production modifier reduced by 5%.
Barracks, Armory, Military Academy and Krepost now provide experience to all units trained.

Wonders
National College moved to Philosophy and reduced by 2 science.
Oxford University now gives 3 additional science.
Great Lighthouse now also provides a free Lighthouse in the city where it was built.
Great library now gives 3 additional science, and provides a free Library in the city where it was built.
Porcelain tower now additionally increases the Science granted when completing Research Agreements by 50%.
Hermitage moved to Acoustics and much cheaper to build. Now requires Opera Houses but gives only a 50% boost to Culture.
Stonehenge Culture reduced to 6 from 8.
Pyramids worker speed increase reduced to 25% from 50% but now give a free Worker when built
Hanging Gardens now give 10 Food instead of 1 population per city and Happiness.
Great Wall now obsoletes with Dynamite instead of metallurgy and gives 3 Culture. Additionally, a free Wall is provided in the city where it was built.
Hagia Sophia great person modifier reduced to 25% from 34%, and gives a free Great Person of your choice.
Eiffel Tower now give 5 Happiness plus 1 for every 2 Policies adopted.
Chichen Itza now grants an additional 4 Happiness.
Machu Picchu trade route gold increased by 5% and also gives a flat 5 gold.
The Colossus now gives an additional 5 gold.
Notre Dame now gives 10 Happiness, up from 5, and 3 Culture.
Sistine Chapel Culture modifier reduced from 33% to 25%.
Kremlin global city defense mod reduced to 25% from 50% but now gives 12 defense in the city where it's built.
Cristo Redentor Policy discount reduced from 25% to 10% but now gives 4 Culture.
Pentagon upgrade cost reduced to 33% from 50% but now gives 3 Culture.
Sydney Opera House moved to Mass Media and gives 50% Culture in the city where it's built plus 4 Culture.
Big Ben hurry modifier reduced to 15% from 25% but now gives a flat 4 gold.
Himeji bonus reduced to 15% from 25%, and provides a free Castle in the city where it was built.

Civilization Unique Abilities
Arabia: Bazaar now gives 2 gold on oil/oasis.
America: Remove river start bias.
America: Increase plot buy modifier to 50% from 25%.
China: Great General trait reduced to 50% from 100%.
Babylon: Great Scientist trait reduced to 50% from 100%.
Germany: Now receives a 25% discount on land unit maintenance.
Ottoman: Now receives a 67% discount on naval unit maintenance, and can upgrade Galley’s to Trireme’s.

Policies
Liberty and Autocracy are no longer mutually exclusive.
Freedom, Autocracy and Order are now mutually exclusive.
Tradition
Aristocracy now provides +15% Production when building Wonders down from 20%.
Landed Elite now provides 1 Happiness at every 10 Citizens in each City.
Tradition Finisher: +15% Growth and +2 Food in each city.
Liberty
Meritocracy: +1 Happiness for each city connected to your capital, and -5% Unhappiness from citizens in non-occupied cities.
Republic now adds an additional 5% building production modifier.
Liberty Finisher: Great Person of your choice.
Honor
Honor Opener now additionally provides Culture for each barbarian killed.
Warrior Code now also gives 15% melee unit production.
Military Caste now provides +1 Happiness and +2 Culture for each city with a garrison.
Professional Army now reduces cost of upgrading units by 33% and provides +1 Happiness per defensive building (Walls, Castle, Arsenal, Military base).
Honor Finisher: Grants gold for each enemy unit killed.
Piety
Piety Opener now provides a 15% production bonus on Culture buildings.
Free Religion now provides only 1 free Policy but increases the Culture from Monuments, Temples and Monasteries by 1.
Organized Religion now gives 1 Happiness per Monument, Temple and Monastery.
Reformation now increases Culture in all cities with a Wonder by 33%, and starts a Golden Age.
Theocracy now increase gold yield by 10% in cities with a Temple.
Piety Finisher: -10% Culture cost of future Policies.
Patronage
Scholasticism reduced from 33% to 25%
Patronage Finisher: Causes other players’ influence with City States to decrease 33% more per turn than usual.
Commerce
Naval Tradition policy now also gives +1 moves to embarked units.
Commerce Finisher: +1 Gold per Specialist.
Rationalism
Rationalist Opener now increases the Science granted when completing Research Agreements by 50%. Stacks with Porcelain Tower.
Free Thought now also increases University science yield by 17%
Humanism now also affects Public Schools and Observatories.
Rationalism Finisher: +1 Gold from Science buildings.
Freedom
Freedom Opener now provides 25% Great Person Points in all cities.
Democracy now provides -50% Unhappiness per Specialist.
Constitution now provides +2 Culture per Wonder.
Free Speech now provides 8 maintenance free units.
Freedom Finisher: +100% yield from Great Tile Improvements and increase length of Golden Ages by 50%.
Autocracy
Police State now provides 3 Happiness per Courthouse, and reduces the time it take to build Courthouses by 50%.
Total War now provides +15% Production when building Military Units and +15 XP for new units.
Autocracy Finisher: 30 turn attack bonus of +20%.
Order
Order Opener now provides +1 Happiness per City.
Socialism and Planned Economy swapped places.
Socialism buff to 15% reduction in building maintenance from 10%.
Planned Economy now increases Science yield by 25% in cities with a Factory.
Communism now provides 2 Production and 10% Production towards buildings in each city.
Order Finisher: +1 Food/Production/Science/Gold/Culture per city.

Technology
Reduced cost of Calendar, Civil Service, Iron Working, Gunpowder, Rifling and Dynamite.
Scaled up costs of all sciences starting in the mid-renaissance era and on (larger increases later on).
Metal Working requires Construction.
Railroad now requires Dynamite.
Radar now requires Combustion.
Globalization requires Computers, and the cost is increased.
Computers require Radar.
Particle Physics no longer requires Globalization (Space victory now possible without overlapping Diplomatic victory).
Future Tech requires Globalization.
Tech Aesthetics: moved Dynamite and all future technologies around by 1 position for better alignment.

Units/Combat
Destroyers no longer start with extra sight.
Extra Sight promotions are now lost with upgrade (Caravel).
Great General promotion spawning effectiveness reduced by 50%.
Mohawk Jungle/Forest bonus reduced to 25% from 50%.
Gunship anti-armor promotions now work correctly.
Jaguar now gets Woodsman promotion.
Minuteman now start with Drill I.
Mohawk Warriors no longer require Iron.
Carriers no longer require Oil.
Destroyer moved to Combustion.
Mechanized infantry moves reduced from 4 to 3.
Galley now upgrades to Trireme.
Ironclad now upgrades to Battleship.
+1 moves for Tank, Panzer, Modern Armor, with no sight penalty.
Increased combat strength of siege weapons to 50% of their ranged strength, increased intrinsic city attack promotions (10%/30% -> 20%/50%).
Increased Incan slinger combat strength slightly.
Increased Crossbowman and Chu-Ko-Nu combat and ranged strength.
Decreased Longswordsman, Fighter, Bomber, Guided Missile, Jet Fighter and corresponding UUs strength.
Removed Mandekalu Cavalry city attack bonus promotion (but still has no penalty).
Reduced Tank, Panzer, Modern Armor to lower tier city attack penalty (-25%, instead of -33%).
Aztec Culture from kills now stacks with new Honor Policy branch opener for double Culture killing barbarians.
Boosted Chariot Archer to strength 4 and ranged 7 (Egypt War Chariot as well).
Drop combat value of Berserker and Huscarl to match Longswordsman.

[MODDING]
Fixed a bug in Lua where "Events.<SomeEvent>.Remove" was not behaving correctly.
(Lua) Added GameEvents.CityCanBuyAnyPlot(ownerID, cityID) (TestAll)
(Lua) Added GameEvents.CityCanBuyPlot(ownerID, cityID, plotX, plotY) (TestAll)
(Lua) Added GameEvents.CityCanCreate(ownerID, cityID, projectTypeID); (TestAll)
(Lua) Added GameEvents.CityCanMaintain(ownerID, cityID, processTypeID); (TestAll)
(Lua) Added GameEvents.CityCanPrepare(ownerID, cityID, specialistTypeID); (TestAll)
(Lua) Added GameEvents.CityCanTrain(ownerID, cityID, unitTypeID); (TestAll)
(Lua) Added GameEvents.PlayerAdoptPolicy(playerID, policyTypeID); (Hook)
(Lua) Added GameEvents.PlayerAdoptPolicyBranch(playerID, policyBranchTypeID); (Hook)
(Lua) Added GameEvents.PlayerCanAdoptPolicy(playerID, policyTypeID); (TestAll)
(Lua) Added GameEvents.PlayerCanAdoptPolicyBranch(playerID, policyBranchTypeID); (TestAll)
(Lua) Added GameEvents.PlayerCanConstruct(playerID, buildingTypeID); (TestAll)
(Lua) Added GameEvents.PlayerCanCreate(playerID, projectTypeID); (TestAll)
(Lua) Added GameEvents.PlayerCanEverReseearch(playerID, techtypeID); (TestAll)
(Lua) Added GameEvents.PlayerCanMaintain(playerID, processTypeID); (TestAll)
(Lua) Added GameEvents.PlayerCanPrepare(playerID, specialistTypeID); (TestAll)
(Lua) Added GameEvents.PlayerCanResearch(playerID, techTypeID); (TestAll)
(Lua) Added GameEvents.PlayerCanTrain(playerID, unitTypeID); (TestAll)
(Lua) Added GameEvents.TeamSetHasTech(teamID, techID); (Hook)
It's now possible to have the tech tree "dead end" where the final technology is not repeatable.
New graph datasets used by the replay viewer can be added by mods.
Action Icons now use the database in the same way as other icons instead of using ActionIcons.lua.

Top Bottom