• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Olivier said:
I seriously thought the monster would be something completely unexpected and make me go "what the fuck is that?" just like the first time I've seen the smoke cloud in Lost. I'm not giving up on this monster, but it does look more "traditional" than I wished. That's just my tastes though.
We've seen what has some small chance of being the back tip of it. How do you know it's not a "wtf is that". They seem to be using the phrase "It's alive". This seems to lend it to a theory that this is one of the WTF is that things. If it was a traditional based animal or Godzilla type thing, why wouldn't you say "It's a dinosaur" or something.

If it was the smoke thing, then I might tell someone: "The smoke, ITS ALIVE"

Don't count anything out yet.

cjdunn said:
Okay, at about 1:12 there is a medivac scene and in silhouette you see two guys in hazmat suits holding a woman and she's kind of... inflating? bloating? asploding? with the an awful, wet splort sound.

...yes...god yes...easily the shot that genuinely creeped me out the most

AgentOtaku said:
...yes...god yes...easily the shot that genuinely creeped me out the most
You also see in the scene right before that with the blurred face marine, when they're talking about her dying. They have a florescent light hanging at her stomach area.

In the promo shots she has a bloody side, and it's making her cry blood.

Then moments later: SQUISH.

Zyzyxxz

well its gonna come out soon and no matter what I dont think the monster is gonna leak until near the premiere,

I'd recommend staying out of this thread to avoid spoilers as the date of release nears. If this monster is truly as unique as the producer wants it to be then I want to be surprised.

One thing I hope is that we dont get some kind of philosophical monster sh!t like in The Village

I think I will be seeing a screening of this on December 8.

I will return with much spoilage. You don't have to look at it if you don't want to.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
I recently learned about the monster's appearance from an inside source. As it was described to me, I think we'll be surprised and satisfied, definitely unusual but not anything too weird or left-field. I don't want to spoil it for anyone and I'm not sure you'd believe me if you heard what I have to say anyway. :lol Also expect mucho destruction of the city.

Another thing that surprised me was just how much green screen work was done. A LOT of the city shots you see in the trailer are all CG (well, matte backgrounds). They shot location stuff in NYC too of course, but a lot was done in LA on various lots. It's a very effects-heavy flick (obviously) but the budget was really pretty low for a movie like this.

I'm more excited now than I was already, I needs me a good well-done massive monster rampage movie!

Snaku

Banned
WickedAngel said:
That would be the lamest mega-monster in the history of mega-monsters. Sam the Spiteful Superspermwhale.

It's a more interesting design than GINO's. In fact, I'm almost positive the actual monster's design will be worse.

Len Dontree said:
I recently learned about the monster's appearance from an inside source. As it was described to me, I think we'll be surprised and satisfied, definitely unusual but not anything too weird or left-field. I don't want to spoil it for anyone and I'm not sure you'd believe me if you heard what I have to say anyway. :lol Also expect mucho destruction of the city.

Another thing that surprised me was just how much green screen work was done. A LOT of the city shots you see in the trailer are all CG (well, matte backgrounds). They shot location stuff in NYC too of course, but a lot was done in LA on various lots. It's a very effects-heavy flick (obviously) but the budget was really pretty low for a movie like this.

I'm more excited now than I was already, I needs me a good well-done massive monster rampage movie!

You will PM me spoilers right now!

Realyst said:
It's also a lion.

No. Cut that shit out.

Olivier

Count Dookkake said:
I think I will be seeing a screening of this on December 8.

I will return with much spoilage. You don't have to look at it if you don't want to.

Already? I thought they'd keep the "identity" of the monster secret for as long as possible.

YakiSOBA said:
Can it shoot fireballs?

No. It can throw cardboard lighting bolts.

Joe Molotov said:
The top secret real title of this movie is Call of Cthulhu 2: Cthulhu Takes Manhattan.

thanks alot ass, now I have to rethink our marketing and the movies title.

Odrion said:
Putting my money down on a giant cat.

It came from the water. Cats hate that shit. It is a Zoidberg.

JdFoX187

Banned
Len Dontree said:

Post the description of the monster in spoiler tags.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Some tidbits from a preview for ASC's February mag.
Cloverfield (Paramount)

Michael Bonvillain, ASC helped director Matt Reeves try a new take on the monster movie with this scary vision of New York City under siege. The duo brought intriguing creative strategies to the time-honored terrors of a “hideous creature run amok”: there is no traditional scene coverage, no score, and the entire story unfolds over the course of 7 or 8 hours. Working on a short schedule of 33 days (with just 3 days of additional shooting), the filmmakers shot most of the picture with Panasonic’s AG-HVX200 “prosumer” HD camcorder to lend a documentary-like realism to the fantastic events onscreen. Scenes involving visual effects were shot with either a Thomson Viper or Sony’s new F23 CineAlta 24P camera, and a few sequences were even captured with a consumer-grade Panasonic camcorder. Bonvillain will give a full rundown of his approach to AC assistant editor Jon D. Witmer.

Mdk7

Olivier said:
:lol :lol

No, not at all. In fact I'll probably be there day one.

But so far I find the monster to be disappointing. I was expecting something new and surprising, such as Lost's smoke thingy.

Otherwise the movie looks interesting, especially the perspective from which the story is told (shakeycam pseudo-documentary a la CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST).
Fixed, since Blair Witch is a complete, shameful rip off of Deodato's masterpiece.

I'm really hyped by the project btw, and the idea (posted by someone) of not seeing the monster ever (even during the movie) got me both mad and intrigued at the same time -even if i know we're gonna see it/them.

Can't wait to see what JJ has in mind this time...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the problem with hiding the monster is that you build up expectations. at least with king kong/godzilla you can relax and just await the wanton destruction.

While a great monster would be fantastic, how would you feel if you're sitting in the theater and a 50ft Alien Resurrection Ripley turns up?

mrklaw said:
While a great monster would be fantastic, how would you feel if you're sitting in the theater and a 50ft Alien Resurrection Ripley turns up?
I'd walk out of the theater.

Anyway, I doubt this will happen. I'm betting it'll be more like Cerberus from Lost.

Snaku

Banned
71guwc1.gif

Snaku

Banned
From the waist down it looks like GINO, and from the waist up it looks like Orga (from Godzilla 2000).

Now I really wish they'd have used that whale design.

Snaku said:
From the waist down it looks like GINO, and from the waist up it looks like Orga (from Godzilla 2000).

Now I really wish they'd have used that whale design.

yeah Whale design is rather good...Cthulu would be tits as well

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I am so freaking pumped for this movie. I want to not see the monster but I want to see and read every bit of info that leaks.

kurahadol

Wellington said:
I am so freaking pumped for this movie. I want to not see the monster but I want to see and read every bit of info that leaks.

On the same page as you. I almost freaked when I opened up to this page and saw that sketch. Thankfully it was fanart.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
As someone that loves monster movies I'll definitely be seeing this day 1. I wish the genre was more popular but at least they're a nice occasional treat. This one just plain looks great, both entertainment-wise and artistically.

Joe Molotov

RoboPlato said:
As someone that loves monster movies I'll definitely be seeing this day 1. I wish the genre was more popular but at least they're a nice occasional treat. This one just plain looks great, both entertainment-wise and artistically.

Same here. I was one of the 5 people that were there during opening weekend to see Godzilla 2000. :lol

im really hyped for this, and im not a Abrams fan at all...this might be the first movie since 300 that i actually see in theaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom