• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Futureman said:
Something irks me about this. The reactions of the people just feel off to me. The dialogue is kinda dumb. "Maybe you shoulda left town earlier!! LOL!" It totally felt like a set when they ran out onto the street.

Seems like a really cool concept, I'm just not digging the execution. Seems like something someone really capable at effects and action (Spielberg) could really hit out of the park, but from someone who's only directed TV shows?

Spielberg schmeilberg. Kubrick should have done something like this.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I think the reality TV direction is interesting but if it turns out to be a way to cheese out of showing anything more than the monster's hindquarters, no thanks. I respect the attempt to reinvent the monster movie, but you still gotta give me the monster.

adelante

loving it....specialfx sure have come a long way to be so freakin seamless, especially given the documentary-style camerawork and the nighttime setting

Flynn

Ether_Snake said:
Looks good, but it's like the camera man doesn't exist, and NO ONE IS SWEARING DAMNIT!!!

He's a dork. That's why he walks around the party with a camera instead of getting his mack on with all those hot ladies. Even his friends think so, that's why it takes them two or three times to hear when he's trying to tell them when he saw it.

Anyway, that's my guess.

Tr4nce

That clip was awesome, but the moment where people start
to take cover in the shop
, reminds me very much of September 11th footage.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Tr4nce said:
That clip was awesome, but the moment where people start
to take cover in the shop
, reminds me very much of September 11th footage.

So the Empire State Building collapsing and the dust cloud doesn't? :p

steve

Banned
Linkzg said:
yeah, no one is laughing either.

I would be laughing my ass off in that situation.
No, you wouldn't. Speaking as someone whose close friend was at ground zero when the shiat hit the fan, there is nothign remotely funny about that situation when you're standing there watching it unfold.

steve said:
No, you wouldn't. Speaking as someone whose close friend was at ground zero when the shiat hit the fan, there is nothign remotely funny about that situation when you're standing there watching it unfold.

who said it would be funny? im talking about nervious laughter thinking this is an unreal situation.

bud

that looked really good to me, and in a way it kinda reminded me of war of the worlds. i just hope the ending isn't lolworthy.

Some interviews with The Director:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/841/841636p2.html
http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=4027

Points of interest:
Matt Reeves said:
The other thing I think is very exciting is this monster is huge and you see everything. You see it in a way that is if you're shooting it with a Handicam. If you're hiding under a car, you see it that way, and there are other moments - I can guarantee you - you are seeing this monster in a huge way.

If there's a monster moment - you might not have this grand shot of him, you might get it after the fact because you want to have realistic action. But you will absolutely see everything - and you will see the monster in very intimate detail. You will get a very close look. People who have seen the trailer might think we are using this style to avoid seeing the monster, but that is definitely not what we're doing. We're using it to build dread and anticipation.

At the last minute, when we were shooting the trailer, we wanted people to know - 'cause we hadn't created the monster yet - that it was a giant monster movie, we wanted a tease of that. I jumped to the microphone and said the line, "I saw it! It's alive! It's huge!" And one of the most amusing things is I had come home and someone on the web had taken that section and started to do an analysis on it and thought I said, "It was a lion." The way I speak was too fast sometimes and they couldn't make it out.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The text says "area formerly known as Central Park", so my guess is the movie ends in Central Park, and everything gets absolutely, totally destroyed.

Tr4nce

Wellington said:
So the Empire State Building collapsing and the dust cloud doesn't? :p

Yes, ofcourse. You're totally right, but the moment I was talking about reminds me so very much of some shots in the september 11th documentary shot by those two French guys.

It also had these people hiding in a shop or something, and it was filmed exactly the same. From my memory anyway.

Anyway, I'm really curious how this movie is going to handle the monster shots, and how they will look. Also curious about the ending of the movie. Will they kill the monster, or will it escape eventually or something. Man, it's a shame this movie is not going to make it here in the Netherlands until March. :(

Knight77

Tr4nce said:
Yes, ofcourse. You're totally right, but the moment I was talking about reminds me so very much of some shots in the september 11th documentary shot by those two French guys.

It also had these people hiding in a shop or something, and it was filmed exactly the same. From my memory anyway.

Anyway, I'm really curious how this movie is going to handle the monster shots, and how they will look. Also curious about the ending of the movie. Will they kill the monster, or will it escape eventually or something. Man, it's a shame this movie is not going to make it here in the Netherlands until March. :(

Well here in Italy it won't be out until February but even only one month I think will be too much: the spoilers from US will come before...

GrayFoxPL

Buttonbasher said:
"I saw it. It's a Lion/Alive. It's Huge!"

Get it?

I heard it like: "I saw it. It's GAF. OMGLolz!"

I could be hearing things thou.

Could be that this monster is a tie in to September 11 in similar way Godzilla is tied to Hiroshima, Nagasaki bombings and WW2?

The best monster movie is still: 'Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack'.

Everyone should see it.

Vyer

I really like the concept, and some of the way the effects are handled in that clip are very good; i'm wanting to see the movie.

But man, the acting/reactions are just horrible. Very, very cheezy....very made for TV, in fact.

Combined with the film style (which I still think is interesting), it turns out just...wrong. IF the acting was well done, with that 'reality cam' style, it could be really awesome. As it is it feels like a college flim course project...with a budget.

I'm hoping that gets better.

Shorty

Banned
First Review is online!
SPOILERS
I got to see Cloverfield Monster Goes Apeshit two weeks ago. We’ve been on double shifts at Wetzel’s Pretzels because we’re selling these goddamn frosting and cinnamon pretzels that are supposed to look like a snowman waving at you and guess what all our retarded customers like biting the heads off of?

Also, the “snowmen” don’t look like snowmen – they look like fat babies that can stand up and wave, and that someone has spooged on (the frosting).

But Cloverfield Monster Goes Apeshit was the perfect movie for me to get to see, because now every time one of our swamp-ass customers comes in and wants a Sal-Tee the Snowman I can imagine the Cloverfield monster biting their goddamn heads off.

And yes, in the movie, the Cloverfield monster bites off some fucking heads. Only you get to see it from a way you don’t normally get to see heads getting bitten off, so basically the movie – which I’m just going to call Cloverfield for the rest of this review because typing out that long-ass title is pee-hole – basically makes other head-biting-off-movies look like Georgia Rule with a peppermint cock in its ass.

The movie starts off really shitty though, with all this stuff about a young couple that’s in love, and she’s hot and he’s hot and I’m all like, “Who’s filming the Ambercrombie and Fitch catalogue?”

But then it’s like the movie heard you calling it a pussy so it puts on its dick-stomping boots and then surprises your dick with a punch from a fist wearing a cock-punch glove.

Things just don’t get scary – they get FUCKED UP. And I mean fucked up like the whole movie’s shot through a hand-held video camera, so you feel like this is happening to you (apparently, the video camera was recovered by the government, so at the beginning of the movie, when you’re told this, you think, “Man, something bad must’ve happened to whoever filmed this”, and you imagine a lot of shit, but then when you get to what ACTUALLY HAPPENS you’re like, “Fuck you, imagination, this was ten times worse than I thought” and then to get back at you your imagination makes you think about 2 Girls 1 Cup if Rhea Perlman and Edith Bunker were the girls)

So here’s the story: a monster attacks News York City.

But that’s not the fucked-up part.

The monster RIPS THE LIVING SHIT out of the city, and everyone in its path. It’s like the Iraq War and Hurricane Katrina and Kathy Griffin’s vagina combined and turned into a giant murder-beast and it’s hungry for every hip person in Manhattan.

Which is another cool thing about the movie – everyone that’s getting eaten are like characters you see in those annoying movies that are always on IFC and Fagdance. Movies with titles like Thinkin’ ‘Bout Being Sad and Zoe Gets a Latte and 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath and a Whole Bunch of Cock-fucks Running Their Mouths.

And if that wasn’t bad enough, the giant monster starts rubbing itself on buildings, and then stuff falls off it’s gross body and crawls the fuck away – only the crawling-away stuff doesn’t stay away for long, if you know what I mean.

And then – and THEN – and I mean, at this point, the movie’s like a speed freak yelling at you, as if the giant monster and the things crawling away weren’t bad enough, there’s a third, even more messed-up thing the monster can do to a person, which I won’t spoil ‘cuz it made me kind of sick and the people on this website are the kind of assholes who’d come in to the W.P. at two minutes before I have to clean the cinnamon nets and order ten Sal-Tees so fuck everyone, so maybe you’ll see it and get sick and not want a Sal-Tee and I can go the fuck home.

Also, I don’t know if the movie-makers are looking for poster quotes, but this movie is like a pussy that eats YOU out.

So, here’s my final thoughts:

The good: Monster fucking everything sideways, creepy-crawly things fucking everything that’s still not fucked, indie movie characters getting eaten and mutilated before they can talk about coffee or e-mails or their feelings.

The bad: Smarty-pants story-telling shit where the video you’re watching has un-recorded bits where you see the hero’s relationship a few weeks back, before the monster shows up. Except then there’s this final shot (from the flashback section) that’s actually kind of awesome ‘cuz it’s this very sweet, sunshine-y shot of something, except at that point you’re thinking some really bad thoughts about what the shot represents.

The shitty: I had a long dream about the male star of the movie two nights after I saw this, where we both had shirts off and he was helping me do sit-ups. So fuck this movie for that part.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35100
Didn't read it though^^

Before anyone loses their mind over that review, note that it's by 'infamous' comedy reviewer Neil Cumpston, an occasional contributor at AICN.

It's widely believed that Cumpston is a psuedonym for comedian Patton Oswalt. He's done roughly a dozen reviews in the same overly hyperbolic style, and they're absolutely hilarious. If you get the chance, search AICN's archives for 'Cumpston'.

Eric P

my first thought on reading the first paragraph is "i bet that's an aicn review" and i scrolled down to delightfully see i was right.

pxleyes

Banned
OGB said:
Before anyone loses their mind over that review, note that it's by 'infamous' comedy reviewer Neil Cumpston, an occasional contributor at AICN.

It's widely believed that Cumpston is a psuedonym for comedian Patton Oswalt. He's done roughly a dozen reviews in the same overly hyperbolic style, and they're absolutely hilarious. If you get the chance, search AICN's archives for 'Cumpston'.
It sounds exactly like his blog posts, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Artadius

I couldn't find a link elsewhere to this on this topic... so my apologies if this is old.

Filmwad found a post where someone discovered the following image (link in spoiler):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/Artadius/Cloverfield.jpg

If that REALLY is it... not too bad. Seems as though the smaller 'monsters' that have been rumored are parasites... looks like they attached themselves to a blue whale or something and have mutated it and made it go nuts or something. The parasites, for me now, are the more interesting aspect of this.

Then again, could be a hoax. Stranger things have happened.

Falch

Artadius said:
I couldn't find a link elsewhere to this on this topic... so my apologies if this is old.

Filmwad found a post where someone discovered the following image (link in spoiler):

If that REALLY is it... not too bad. Seems as though the smaller 'monsters' that have been rumored are parasites... looks like they attached themselves to a blue whale or something and have mutated it and made it go nuts or something. The parasites, for me now, are the more interesting aspect of this.

I thought that picture was already proven to be a fake?

bluemax

Banned
Artadius said:

Yeah this is really really old.

So.

Real monster pic (Could be) surfaced today . From the Cloverfield Marketing Style Guide (See Guerrilla Marketing):
cloverfieldsf.jpg

cloverfieldpromos.jpg

I can't decide whether or not I should link to it though. On one hand I would spoiler tag it, but it only takes one person to post the image in the thread and spoil people that don't want to be spoiled.

Just know that its out there for now.

Maybe here:
http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/index.php?f=227

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom