• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Crushed said:
Since drawing Clover seems to be the "in" thing to do on the interbutts these days...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/MastahCrushed/cloversketch.jpg

Tell me how much it sucks.
Got all the main features in there.

3 fingers? Check
Backwards joints on the main arms? Check
Red stuff on the side of his head? Check
Little Dangly T-Rex arms? Check
Long tail? Check

Not as visually pleasing as some of the other renditions, but certainly a valid display of the monster.

Teh Hamburglar said:
Wasn't Elle drinking a Slusho in an episode of Heroes?
Yep, in the car. Greg Grunberg is good friends with JJ. He was originally going to be in Cloverfield but that fell through. They really wanted unknowns.

But yeah Elle drank Slusho in her car for 2 episodes. Here's some Slusho set pics:
d7c5068fyv4.jpg

ca28306bhb8.jpg

635f997cyb7.jpg

d39c470anh0.jpg

http://cipansandlipans.blogspot.com/2007/12/more-heroes-slusho-ads-muahaha.html

Snaku

Banned
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=41491

Matt Reeves is in early talks with Paramount to direct a Cloverfield sequel, and, as was previously announced, he has also made a deal with GreeneStreet Films to direct The Invisible Woman.

Variety says the timing of the projects will depend on how quickly Paramount can complete discussions with Reeves, producer J.J. Abrams and writer Drew Goddard to come up with another monster story for the Cloverfield sequel. There's a good chance the sequel will be Reeves' next film, in which case he will direct The Invisible Woman afterward.

"Woman" is a Hitchcock-style thriller that probes the mind of a former beauty queen who turns to a life of crime to protect her family.

Reeves wrote the script and will produce with Abrams and GreeneStreet's John Penotti, Fisher Stevens and Tim Williams.

Basch

Greatness Gone said:
Trying...so hard...not to bitch...

I like atmosphere in my movies. Tones make the films seem all the more real. That's my take. If you don't mind anime, check out Gantz. I believe it to be one of the best projects to come out of human history. I loved how it portrayed the world, and everyone's inner thoughts. It speaks volumes. You can have the most complex story in the world, but to really make an impact you need meaning and real-world depth. At least that's what I think. If that's not good enough, here's a list of some of my favorite movie's of last year, because my tastes may not be so popular. :D

Favorite Movies of '07

Zodiac
Sunshine
Transformers
I Am Legend
30 Days of Night
28 Weeks Later
3:10 to Yuma
The Kingdom
Bourne Ultimatum
Stardust

^ ^ The above is just a few. I saw a lot of movies in '07. Yeah. Like one to two every week. Sometimes three. I get to see quite a bit. But I still haven't seen all of 'em. Here's a list of the ones I missed but would like to see.

Waiting to See Yet, but Looking Forward To: '07

Gone Baby Gone
There Will Be Blood (technically '08)
Enchanted

Getting down to the bottom here. Not much left. A few more than that probably, but not much.

Yeah, my interests are quite varied. But it explains a lot for those that question my preferences.

Goldrusher

Saw it yesterday...don't really know what to think of it.

The posters and ads make it look like a blockbuster movie, but it's nothing but some kid's home video, which someone found and for some unknown reason we (the audience) are allowed to watch.

Why no introduction ? Why no ending ?

Ciel

Basch said:
I like atmosphere in my movies. Tones make the films seem all the more real. That's my take. If you don't mind anime, check out Gantz. I believe it to be one of the best projects to come out of human history. I loved how it portrayed the world, and everyone's inner thoughts. It speaks volumes. You can have the most complex story in the world, but to really make an impact you need meaning and real-world depth. At least that's what I think.

I didn't think it shows real world depth at all (like the bum on the tracks thing. Most would help him.) The big problem with Gantz is that it's all yelling and crying. Why are all the women so weak? The animation is mediocre too. No disrespect to you but I thought everything about it screams of great ideas that were just poorly executed.

I liked Cloverfield because everyone died. The exploding girl was gorgeous though, too bad about her.

Basch

Ciel said:
I didn't think it shows real world depth at all (like the bum on the tracks thing. Most would help him.) The big problem with Gantz is that it's all yelling and crying. Why are all the women so weak? The animation is mediocre too. No disrespect to you but I thought everything about it screams of great ideas that were just poorly executed.

*Spoilers: Cover up!*

Okay. If you really think so. I completely disagree with everything you said, but no disrespect. How well do you know Psychology? Most people often neglect a person in need if there are copious amounts of other people around. I take it you haven't seen the whole series, yet? How far did you get? There is a lot of angst in the series, but that is what it is built around. The inner thoughts of the mind come out under the most extreme of circumstances. If you had died, and thought everything was over while so much around you was still going on, I'm sure, if given the chance, you would not want to die again. If you had the chance to live, and continue your existence, what lengths would you go to insure your survival? Gantz loved to show hypocrisy. It sought to bring out the worst in humans. Not so we can be ashamed, but to learn of what we are truly suggesting. If you haven't seen the rest of the series, I would recommend you do so immediaetly. It destroys you: in a good way. :) I would love to talk more about it, but discussing too much of the series kind of ruins the whole premise. By the way, Gantz was done by Gonzo Digimation, from Last Exile, Chrono Crusade, Peace Maker Kurogane, Kaleido Star, Speed Grapher, Samurai 7, Count of Monte Cristo, Romeo x Juliet, Hellsing, Gatekeepers, and Vandread fame. They are world renowned for their top quality animation. Their image quality is second to none. Now, if you didn't like the style, I can understand that. The style is very similar to the manga it was inspired by. ;)

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Ciel said:

Woah there. Might want get some spoiler tags in your post.

MIMIC

Banned
For the people who quickly dismissed and condemned the people asking for a sequel, will you now hypocritically embrace the idea now that one has been confirmed?

Basch

MIMIC said:
For the people who quickly dismissed and condemned the people asking for a sequel, will you now hypocritically embrace the idea now that one has been confirmed?

Not finalized just yet. They're in talks. Pretty much a done deal with all the attention its been getting. :D I don't see why people would not want a sequel. More can be done.

fallout

MIMIC said:
Well, I don't think I dismissed or condemned anyone. I just didn't want one. Anyway, if they manage to do it well, then cool! Something like a documentary style movie has seemed like a neat idea since I first walked out of the theatre.

Still, this is one of those instances where I'd rather not know more. No matter how good the sequel is, it will kind of take away some of the interesting aspects of the first one.

They've already gone on record saying they have fleshed out the entire backstory of the monster and the Cloverfield event, so I don't see why this is a surprise. Why would they make up all that shit and then just sit on it? Not to mention the film made back almost double it's cost in a single weekend.

I'll be there Day 1. :D

Blablurn

omg, finally! i just saw the german version of cloverfield. i went with 9 friends to cologne to see it. they didn't really know it at first but i managed to hype them all :D

nevertheless; the movie was awesome! Here are some pros and cons:

+ It looked spectacular!
+ Awesome ending
+ Awesome monster
+ Great scenes (especially the first time the monster looks into the camere - it's where they run down to the train station)

- I hated the guy who filmed everything (i forgot his name -.- don't care about him)

I really liked the atmosphere after the movie. Everything was silent for a couple of seconds. Nobody was saying anything.

Omg, and what the fuck is that thing dropping into the ocean at the end of the movie. i guess it's the monster.

I'm still hyped °o°

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Looks like the sequel won't be handi-cam. Traditional monster movie FTW.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cloverfield/news/1706543/

"It's more the concept of that which intrigues me. There's a guy on the Brooklyn Bridge who's filming the experience and he's looking out and then we look out to see what he's looking at and there's a second where the two lenses cross."

He continues: "Just in my head I thought what was cool was that there was two movies crossing right there. It doesn't mean we'd ever actually make that movie, I don't think we'd make that parallel universe. I just loved the idea of that Rashômon point-of-view."

It seems that as yet, there are no definite plans as to the direction of the sequel, but it's clear that we probably won't be seeing a rehash of the handheld style of the first as has been reported. "The experience of making the movie was so challenging and fun in a different way," he told RT about the production of Cloverfield, "The idea of doing something so differently is exhilarating. We hope that it created a movie experience that is different.

"The thing about doing a sequel is that I think we all really feel protective of that experience. The key here will be if we can find something that is compelling enough and that is different enough for us to do, then it will probably be worth doing.

Tideas

Banned
I gotta question about what happens to the girl that got bitten. What happened to her? All you hear is a scream, and a sprout of blood. Did the scientists holding her punched her guts out or something? curious

awesome movie though. I'm guessing the ending is that

the two ppl got nuked up along with the monsteR?

Tideas said:
I gotta question about what happens to the girl that got bitten. What happened to her? All you hear is a scream, and a sprout of blood. Did the scientists holding her punched her guts out or something? curious

awesome movie though. I'm guessing the ending is that

the two ppl got nuked up along with the monsteR?
She exploded.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Teh Hamburglar said:
i didnt care about the characters and I really hated Beth. She has the audacity to show up to the party with some douche, gets impaled and then calls Rob.

Sounds pretty realistic to me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Ciel said:
The exploding girl was gorgeous though, too bad about her.

What? She looked like a crack addict.

Yixian

Banned
Greatness Gone said:
She exploded.

Didn't some hazmat dude stick a pig stick into her mouth as she was about to explode?

Also, why did they contain the peeps that got bitten? Is it just to protect everyone from their exploding guts or is it some kind of contagion or does some creature burst out of them or something?

Anyway the "BITE! BITE!" scene was just fucking sweet. I was so freaked out and surprised. I just don't understand why the others weren't like "YO WTF?! WHAT DOES BITES DO THEN OMG?!?!".

I just saw it again tonight with a friend who hadn't seen it yet, and he loved it too. There was a guy sitting next to me (who was gabbing with his girlfriend/wife throughout almost the whole movie) in the theater who said, "well what happened?" after the end. I just can't understand how people somehow need clearcut answers to every single detail in films, books, etc. Is it really that hard to use your imagination anymore?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
just came back from watching it (out in the UK this weekend). Liked it a lot.

I like the realism that comes from the handycam footage. Like that we're basically watching one group's journey through the event so you don't get all the best angles - bit like War of the Worlds on that score - you have to fill in the rest. Also liked the little critters. Fills in some of the gaps with traditional monster movies - now you can't just hide in the tunnels/avoid the big fucker, cause there are little fuckers too. Nice tying in of the 'overdub' with the splash at the end of the original footage that was a few weeks earlier.

slightly confused by the ending. I'd assumed (perhaps wrongly) that operation 'hammer drop' was going to nuke NY. I guess it was just carpet bombing? Do we assume all the main characters except the girl that went off in the helicopter are dead? at the beginning it talks about a camera recovered but nothing about whose it was.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
didn't like the helicopter scene so much. First, why were they flying so damn slowly? Surely the pilot would be going (1) very fast and (2) very high. and whats the survival rates in helicopter crashes? Autorotating landing *maybe*, but you could see central park out of the side windows- that thing was coming down on its side. Nicely shot though :)

Also didn't like the 'lets eat HUD' scene. Felt too much like trying to duplicate the T-rex in Jurassic Park. Why would such a huge monster single out one guy? would it even have noticed him, considering the shit flying around all over the place.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
***SPOILERS--->

Saw it last night with my dad. We both enjoyed it. Could've been better in a few ways......improve/drop some of the character development, have a different actor for the camera guy (if you could even call that acting), and not have so many long periods without any focus on the monster at all. But in the scope of the movie as a whole, those are somewhat minor faults. It was incredibly immersive, and the monster design was awesome.

I found it kind of unrealistic, at least for a monster movie that's trying to be believable as possible, that they couldn't do ANY damage to the monster. I mean, c'mon. They carpet bombed the fuck out of it for hours. And not a scratch? I guess they just had to do that to keep the movie moving forward.

I'd love to see a sequel. I don't understand the "Whaaa OMG sequel barf even though I liked the first one" people. I'd be interesting to see the event from another perspective and hopefully one that will shed a lot more light on where the fucking thing came from.

btw, I don't feel like skimming 20 pages of this thread.......is there anything more to know about what it was that fell out of the sky at the end?

oh, also, is there anyone online I can see pics/videos from the movie of the monster?

Also didn't like the 'lets eat HUD' scene. Felt too much like trying to duplicate the T-rex in Jurassic Park. Why would such a huge monster single out one guy? would it even have noticed him, considering the shit flying around all over the place.
Oh yeah I felt the same way. It made for a really cool shot, though.

<---SPOILERS***

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Costanza said:
no. TJ Miller is awesome.
his voice acting behind the camera was some of the worse I've ever seen/heard.

you sir, are wrong.

Tideas

Banned
Did anybody think it was stupid that the helicopter in the end flew next to the monster instead of in the opposite direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom