• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I call this film Clovomit. I'll wait for the DVD to watch it again! Great movie though, I was feeling a panic attack coming on near the end.

Blablurn

Blablurn said:
awesome pictures!!! thank you!

stupid question: due to the fact the movie was made with these standard cameras; will there ever be a hd version (on blu ray for example).
If there are HD versions of 28 Days/Weeks Later than this movie will most definitely have one.

batbeg

Oh my God... that movie was fucking awesome. Saw it yesterday, I guess opening day here in the UK, and it was almost completely empty (though, to be fair, it was 1pm). But oh my God oh my God oh my God was it ever good. I honestly wasn't expecting anything, haven't followed it all, and only saw it because I knew my fiancee wanted to.

:D So glad I went now. Terrific acting, it was all very natural and intense, and it was a very beautiful ending with the
I love you screams.
My fiancee kept saying that
she wanted them to explain more of it in the movie or afterwards, but I just thought that would have ruined it. You knew pretty much from the beginning you weren't going to get that anyway, as it was a home video.

So so awesome. Is there any real explanation for it out there on the internet?

Mason

justjohn said:
so i just saw this movie last night, and wtf is with the black looters? anyone noticed that :(

I noticed that too! There were a bunch of black people looting the electronics store and some white people finding batteries and other rations.

batbeg

Sequel? Awesome. I like the fact they're moving away from handi-cam if true, as it would feel like a gimmick in there after what is almost an exposition. The movie was fantastic at showing tone and the feeling of what they want, as that was almost entirely what it was, so I'd be very happy with a sequel focusing on plot and the monster.

So good.

Snidely Whiplash said:

... :(

HugBasket

Banned
Mason said:
I noticed that too! There were a bunch of black people looting the electronics store and some white people finding batteries and other rations.

To be far they Abrams probably said "Do what you would given the situation."

demon said:
***SPOILERS--->

btw, I don't feel like skimming 20 pages of this thread.......is there anything more to know about what it was that fell out of the sky at the end?

oh, also, is there anyone online I can see pics/videos from the movie of the monster?

Oh yeah I felt the same way. It made for a really cool shot, though.

<---SPOILERS***

Apparently it was a satellite from what i've read. http://tagruato.jp/deepsea2.php this is a part of the viral marketing but if you notice there is a station off the coast by new york city. The thing that fell was a satellite that hit a deep sea trench and ended up waking the monster. Though this is still just speculation but fun to consider. Rob was going to work for the tagruato company as vp and a funny note is that slusho is a subsidiary of tagruato.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
justjohn said:
so i just saw this movie last night, and wtf is with the black looters? anyone noticed that :(

Aside from the mystic camera (I want one of those!), thats the only thing that really stood out as a "wtf" moment. It wasn't really necessary, and, they were all black, because?

At any rate, the movie was awesome. Its one my favorites now. I am so, so, so very happy they handled the subway scene the way they did. To many times the subways and anything underground, tends to be a safe haven against "terrible things". They got wtf owned. :lol One rule I will always follow is, "if you see animals running away from something, its a good sign that you should too." I dunno what I would have done in that situation, but, I do know that as soon as those rats brushed past my foot, I would have bolted: fuck the light jogging. :lol

Rob was a douchebag in the beginning, but, he redeemed himself. Hud...I wanted to get punched in the face. I've been around people that like-to-talk, but, he was floating between annoying, and annoying as hell.

That shot in the helicopter in the end was pretty damned amazing. I'm looking forward to the sequel now.

Oh, and I can't wait to see Romero's movie. Hopefully he is bringing his A-game, and making his movie better than this one.

Tideas

Banned
krispyclean said:
Apparently it was a satellite from what i've read. http://tagruato.jp/deepsea2.php this is a part of the viral marketing but if you notice there is a station off the coast by new york city. The thing that fell was a satellite that hit a deep sea trench and ended up waking the monster. Though this is still just speculation but fun to consider. Rob was going to work for the tagruato company as vp and a funny note is that slusho is a subsidiary of tagruato.

wait? At the end? As in after the credits? Cuz I dont remember seeing anything that falls out of the sky

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Tideas said:
wait? At the end? As in after the credits? Cuz I dont remember seeing anything that falls out of the sky

It's just before the credits when those two are at coney island on the ferris wheel.

Saw it today.
I found the story to be pretty bland and generic, and the overall acting slightly above average (Maybe because I didnt seen it in original language). The Script was pretty meh too.

But, artistically, its one of the best movie of the last 10 years. The several long takes in first perspective really made the film an interesting and pleasurable experience.
Expecially in the
subway scene
and the
helicopter one

Overall, I find that the movie is technically outstanding, but that the story would have never worked if they chose a different directing route.

JdFoX187

Banned
serotonina said:
Saw it today.
I found the story to be pretty bland and generic, and the overall acting slightly above average (Maybe because I didnt seen it in original language). The Script was pretty meh too.

But, artistically, its one of the best movie of the last 10 years. The several long takes in first perspective really made the film an interesting and pleasurable experience.
Expecially in the
subway scene
and the
helicopter one

Overall, I find that the movie is technically outstanding, but that the story would have never worked if they chose a different directing route.
Of course, the story was centered around the film style.

Az987

all good things
I dont know if this has been said already but I read in a article that the monster in cloverfield was just a baby going crazy because it couldnt find its mother.

I wonder how big the mother is !

Mason said:
But the theoretically the only character to live...Nah I'm not going there.

batbeg said:
I honestly never noticed this?
Loads of people missed it.

Blablurn said:
stupid question: due to the fact the movie was made with these standard cameras; will there ever be a hd version (on blu ray for example).
Well it wasn't shot on standard cameras. It was shot with the same types of movie cameras that shoot normal movies. It's just shot in a different style. They added a lot of the camera shake afterwards.

Christopher

batbeg said:
I honestly never noticed this?

it's honestly nothing - I never noticed and saw a video on youtube. It's really nothing at all.

thinking about it now all those people
died
for Beth in reality...is she THAT hot? I say yes,
dieing
for her ass? ehhh...

dalyr95

Brilliant movie, I'd love for the sequel to be the same event but from a different perspective, say a newscrew following the event, where you'd see more of the monster and the military build up

Christopher said:
it's honestly nothing - I never noticed and saw a video on youtube. It's really nothing at all.

It's there. Until you either notice it in the theater, or on the DVD release you won't see it. It's not going to show up on low quality Youtube.

Buttonbasher said:
Well it wasn't shot on standard cameras. It was shot with the same types of movie cameras that shoot normal movies. It's just shot in a different style. They added a lot of the camera shake afterwards.
I don't think that's right. I remember reading that three consumer-level cameras were used to shoot the movie. There was a "regular" handycam for the party and indoors stuff, for more intense indoor scenes and outside they used a more expensive and advanced camera, and for the special effects shots they used a top-of-the-line Sony HD camcorder. I'm pretty sure I've read about it in this very thread, too. But I know that they didn't use regular movie cameras.

Edit:

imdb.com said:
What cameras were used to film this movie?

The camera used "in-universe" was likely the Panasonic HVX200.

In production, the HVX, the Sony F23, and the Thomson Viper were used.

[Director of Photography Michael] Bonvillain used the Viper in FilmStream mode [4:4:4 RGB Data], since some of the trailer footage would be incorporated into the film, recording to tape, but also relied on a variety of other cameras throughout production. We shot with $400 cameras and $80,000 cameraswe used whatever worked for a given scene. Basically, if we could use the [Panasonic] HVX[200], and there were no visual FX, we did. It is really small and felt the most like a small consumer camera. After testing the Viper, the Panavised F900 and the then-brand-new Sony CineAlta F23 at night in downtown Los Angeles, Bonvillain decided to use the F23 for the New York phase of shooting. I found the F23 to be more sensitive in available light situations. Unlike the Viper, which comes back with a green bias that has to be dialed out, the F23 looked a lot more natural to my eye.

-- International Cinematographers Guild, "A Monster on the Loose"

The actual Panasonic HVX-200 video camera supposedly used to film "Cloverfield" was sold on eBay on January 23, 2008, for $4,605.00. The starting bid was $2,500.00. The eBay item number was 130190870984, and the listing was entitled "PANASONIC HVX-200 CAMERA USED ON THE MOVIE CLOVERFIELD". An additional copy of the eBay listing and its photos of the camera can be found here in case the eBay listing link expires. The listing contained the following description: "THIS FANTASTIC CAMERA IS A TRUE 24P HD MOTION PICTURE CAMERA, AND IT WAS USED EXCLUSIVELY FOR THE MOVIE "CLOVERFIELD". I was the Digital Imaging Supervisor on the movie, and we used the HVX-200 extensively. "Cloverfield" is shot entirely from a video camera's point of view and THIS is that camera!! I bought this HVX as a backup camera to our main shooting cam. It was BARELY used throughout shooting, as shown by the picture below which lists the Operation and Recording Hours (6 Operation Hours and Not even ONE Recording Hour).".

Also, Gizmondo did a little report on Sony's camera, though their deduction is flawed because HUD was recording onto a tape, which the government then transferred to an SD card.

And this is the eBay auction for the "in-universe" camera.

JdFoX187

Banned
WordAssassin said:
I don't think that's right. I remember reading that three consumer-level cameras were used to shoot the movie. There was a "regular" handycam for the party and indoors stuff, for more intense indoor scenes and outside they used a more expensive and advanced camera, and for the special effects shots they used a top-of-the-line Sony HD camcorder. I'm pretty sure I've read about it in this very thread, too. But I know that they didn't use regular movie cameras.
This is true.

WordAssassin said:
I guess.

Matt2BReeves2Bwith2BLizzy2BCaplan2B.jpg

From the Party, then from behind the scenes footage I see they are using a huge professional movie camera for the scene outside Sephora.

Also theres this: http://gizmodo.com/347463/the-real-camera-behind-cloverfield

EDIT: I see we google similar terms. :lol

Either way they don't seem like something the everyman would carry around. That's all I was trying to say.

Yeah, even the in-universe camera, the Panasonic, is well over a grand. But, I dunno, Rob seemed like a pretty well-off guy.

Also, holy shit:

imdb.com said:
On Hud's official viral Myspace.com page his height was changed on the day following the movie's debut to 2'6" implying that his lower body has been severed from his upper body and all that remains is 2'6" of his upper body. The monster has chewed him in half, whether it swallowed his lower half is a mystery.
:lol :lol That's fucked up :lol :lol

superfly

Feeling very sick, but wow what a great movie. I forget what dick heads populate the cinemas for these kind of movies, but hey that film was very well executed. Will definitely cop the Blu Ray (if Paramount wakes up and stops sucking HD DVD dick) when it gets released.

8/10

There's one thing I'd really really like explained from the movie. Why did the bites from the smaller creatures cause people's chests to burst? Was it a chemical reaction or something that sped up body functions? Did they burst as a method to spread contagion or just as a natural consequence of the poison? Or are we talking chest-bursters here?

keeblerdrow said:
There's one thing I'd really really like explained from the movie. Why did the bites from the smaller creatures cause people's chests to burst? Was it a chemical reaction or something that sped up body functions? Did they burst as a method to spread contagion or just as a natural consequence of the poison? Or are we talking chest-bursters here?

Could be any one of those things

Pick your favorite

keeblerdrow said:
Movie was codenamed The Parasite, so maybe the teeth shoot parasites into the person.

All speculation here but apparently the deep sea nectar used in Slusho drinks causes side effects, in the ARG there are "documents" that show it has very weird side effects and were dismissed by the slusho company. On another website someone claimed that the nectar is what caused the "mother" creature to become so big.

Note: Just speculation

krispyclean said:
All speculation here but apparently the deep sea nectar used in Slusho drinks causes side effects, in the ARG there are "documents" that show it has very weird side effects and were dismissed by the slusho company. On another website someone claimed that the nectar is what caused the "mother" creature to become so big.

Note: Just speculation
Thats what they were supposedly drilling for at the Chuai station. The monster or the mother of the monster took the station out though. Maybe it needs the Deep Sea nectar to survive.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So if I get this right, they could easily make a Cloverfield video game set at a different time or something like that, maybe on the Oil Rig or some such, or even after the first movie. Also make comic books. TV series. Crap like that, and make the story overly complex.

I think they will!

Tideas

Banned
so if a satellite fell into the water and woke up the monster...then...

do you guys know that an old US spy satellite is gonna crash onto the Earth pretty soon? They're gonna try to steer it into the ocean http://www.reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUSN2628127620080126

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. intelligence satellite has lost power and could fall to Earth sometime in February or March, a government official said on Saturday.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the spy satellite can no longer be controlled and it was not known where on the planet it might come down.

Life imitating fiction anyone? If I were you guys living in NYC, I would go on vacation in Feb, haha

-Rogue5-

I was massively disappointed; excellent idea, and amazing execution... in theory. But I think they should have known after 5mins that blair-witch-style on steroids is NOT a good thing, regardless of how robust the story is and how well it suits the scenario.

The only thing more frustrating than the actual movie was knowing how much potential they wasted.

-Rogue5-

Tideas said:
take away the first person-cam approach, and what potential are there? then it'll just be a B-monster movie

No, I mean, they should have realized that running with a camera for 2/3rds of the movie, and having only 1/3 bearly watchable was the mistake... it should have been 1/4 running max, and 3/4s watchable. Sacrificing watchablity to have faux-realism killed it and they should have known that after 5mins. They went waaaayyyyy too overboard with the handheld... it was a mistake.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I didn't read through the whole thread, so maybe this was mentioned already, but has anyone been reminded of Disaster Report games when watching this?
Most especially during the trip to Rob's gf's appartment, climbing buildings etc - it was eerily reminiscent, and it just got me thinking that if this movie ever did get made into a game, it should be done in the same vein as Irem's stuff, just perhaps in first person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom