• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

Holammer

They spent years working on it and they were paid for their time, despite having no talent or ability to produce something consumers want. And now we’re not even on the hook to pay the bill for the dreck they made, and can safely ignore it. It’s a win-win for all of us! Except for Sony.
I often quote this bit from Mr Plinkett Ghostbusters 2016 review. (timestamp). Glad to be working.

They spent years working on it and they were paid for their time, despite having no talent or ability to produce something consumers want. And now we’re not even on the hook to pay the bill for the dreck they made, and can safely ignore it. It’s a win-win for all of us! Except for Sony.
Things could look a lot worse for Sony considering they only acquired them last year.

I have a feeling Haven's game is going to be Sony's BIG flop this gen. Haven basically founded the studio with Sony's money and everything is being done under Sony's wing.

When that thing flops Sony will have paid for the entire development process. That's gonna be something to witness for sure.

Saber

FairGame$ is supposedly a PvPvE Heist game, after Payday 3 flopped, there must be an audience for a heist game

That said, it will need a full-on soft reboot, because that debut trailer was cringe

-Drop the whole "Eat the rich" aesthetic, redesign the characters to look more like professional criminals, among other things

I have a better idea.
Throw away those cringe shitfest games in the fucking incinerator. The game industry does not need this vomit inducing garbage that only looks "cool" in the eyes of soycuck devs.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Question is what does Sony learn from this.

1*t4qt-t5Me0TxlNblwzGUjg.gif

Things could look a lot worse for Sony considering they only acquired them last year.

I have a feeling Haven's game is going to be Sony's BIG flop this gen. Haven basically founded the studio with Sony's money and everything is being done under Sony's wing.

When that thing flops Sony will have paid for the entire development process. That's gonna be something to witness for sure.

The back-to-back Firewalk + Haven will get some heads rolling.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
On the plus side, Concord's all time peak is better than fan favs such as: I was a teenage exocolonist, Thank goodness youre here, and that Hall of Fame game called Nothing.

Game needs to do a bit better to surpass legendary games like: Milfs of Sunville, Storage Hustle and a Lucky Hunter Demo download.

5ebmUQ0.jpeg

Last edited:

Denorion

The sad thing is that you can tell that most devs there have talent, the game came out in a polished state, with a great gunplay feel, but it's all wasted on a crappy hero shooter that probably only the studio leadership wanted to do.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
On the plus side, Concord's all time peak is better than fan favs such as: I was a teenage exocolonist, Thank goodness youre here, and that Hall of Fame game called Nothing.

Game needs to do a bit better to surpass legendary games like: Milfs of Sunville, Storage Hustle and a Lucky Hunter Demo download.

5ebmUQ0.jpeg

I'm legit curious in Steps of Debauchery now :messenger_grinning_sweat:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm legit curious in Steps of Debauchery now :messenger_grinning_sweat:
When I saw this list, I googled Vagrus to see what it was. Not my kind of story based RPG, but got to say it gave me the opportunity to check it out. I wasnt even sure what Nothing was. First thing came to mind it was a placeholder spot or a game that still had it's stat tracked but got deleted so "Nothing" used. Its an actual game. lol

5ebmUQ0.jpeg
Less than 400 people playing a multiplayer game on release week and on a saturday, backed by a huge studio like Sony...this is something i just can't wrap my hear around...holy shit.

Like...the game is actually going down as we speak...on a saturday night. This will be lucky to have 50 people playing in a few week-days.

Holammer

5ebmUQ0.jpeg
Thank Goodness You're Here! Might be a hidden gem, 97% average user rating (1978 reviews).
... very bri'ish.

lmimmfn

5ebmUQ0.jpeg
What is this "Milfs of Sunville" you speak of? Asking for a friend.

Last edited:

Killer8

How many games does Mr Corporate Kiss Arse buy a year

gHoFzu5.jpeg

People always pull this "think of the devs" shit. They tried jumping on a live service bandwagon that's ruining gaming, and a nonsense ideological bandwagon for good boy points, all while siphoning tens (if not hundreds) of millions of dollars of funding away from far more talented and deserving people. There will be hundreds of interesting projects that are financially struggling right now while this stillborn piece of shit got to see the light of day. It'll be the world's smallest violin playing Firewalk off in a few months and hopefully its narcissists like "The Professor" don't get another gig in the industry ever again.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Hellblade 2 looks to have had around 4.5 years of development in total, with actual dev work kicking off sometime in 2020, post reveal. We had a thread here that pretty much confirms this. Heck, you participated in that thread!

And it only took that long because work - including the photogrammetry capture in Iceland - was heavily impacted by COVID.

The studio confirmed that at the peak, they only ever had 80 developers at it in total. They’re based in the UK where game dev salaries are lower. Your $150k per employee estimate is laughable.

Additionally, they also implemented a lot of cost cutting and budget methods to achieve AAA, including tricks used in the first Hellblade. In their own words…

You can read this article in full here

Like I said, I’d be surprised if the game cost anything above $50, which was 5x the budget of the original Hellblade.

Half those devs, in the uk will be lucky to be on 35 to 40 grand a year.

The industry could really handle failures better IMO. Game dev processes like Concord or Redfall could really use reinvestment, retooling, redesign and repurposing so the efforts of things that worked aren't wasted. Bring in new designs, world, characters, lore, mechanics etc but surely it would be far more resource saving to move forward from such pipeline failures rather than outright drop everything.

Doesn't even have to be the same game really. I'm always surprised how little engines and all that work is not reused time and again to produce games faster and more iterative.

Honestly in the shooter, hero shooter or BR type games they could really just have a new game using the same engine and dev pipeline many times over. You'd barely even notice in the final output in terms of per game aesthetic or release or branding etc.

Re: follow-up to my previous post.

As a Black, Muslim man, it's really difficult for me to weigh into this discourse surrounding 'DEI' topics because it delves into a theme of identity politics that were a large part of my formative years. This isn't even to mention the fact it seems to be used as a dog whistle by certain corners of the poltical Right. Full disclosure; I am not unbiased when it comes to this.

Having said that, I'm not entirely ignorant of the arguments surrounding it, either. But this is not a Coor's Light moment.

Even though many gamers may have strong political views, the medium is still largely isolated from political division. Concord failed because of it's awful, ambiguous reveal; poor reception; lukewarm character designs, and being released in a saturated market at $40, while its competitors are free. It did not fail because the characters had pronouns, or because Firewalk wanted to appeal to 'modern audiences'.

What surprised me were the extent to which some people here were so persuaded that, in fact, it failed specifically because it was 'woke'. With all due respect, that's completely delusional - you are in too deep at that point.

You can be 'anti-woke', anti DEI and still think Concord failed because of a myriad of reasons games tend to fail, particularly Sony GaaS titles. If this were a chapter discussing this game's failure, the pronoun controversy wouldn't be more than a sentence. Instead, some of you have made it to be the Title; Sub-title; Captions and even the Barcode. It is extraordinarily inflated sense that really stood out to me.

Fbh

How many games does Mr Corporate Kiss Arse buy a year

gHoFzu5.jpeg

I've always hated this logic of "you say you are tired of sequels and remakes so you HAVE to like EVERY new IP".

Yeah no fuck off.
I can like and support new IP like Stellar Blade, Unicorn Overlord, Returnal, Hi Fi Rush, Lies of P ,etc. I don't need to support and defend every game that gets released just because it's a new IP

Last edited:
UWvDupu.png

Looks like it’s gonna peak 30% lower on Saturday than it did Friday. Can’t even hold a player base for 24 hours, I wonder how many refund requests so far.

This suggests a lot of people dropped the game after...what...one day?

This might fall into double digits by the end of next week. I'm blown away.

If they were to make this game free, it would cause a spiral of negative PR headlines. If they ignore it, the low player count would cause negative PR headlines. Pick your poison, Sony.

dottme

Does being forced to play Concord count as crunch?
uXu8CXs.jpeg
the real question here, is there anyone with a brain in the team? The marketing isn’t working, why are they still putting so much money down to promote the game.
who is controlling the wallet there?

Last edited:

Lumyst

As a Black, Muslim man, it's really difficult for me to weigh into this discourse surrounding 'DEI' topics because it delves into a theme of identity politics that were a large part of my formative years.

Something I was wondering about, for someone with the "identity politics" mindset, how were you first taught to have the mindset of "identity politics?" As in, what was the lesson or how was that lesson taught? My understanding of that mindset is that it is a way of looking at human relations as oppressor/oppressed? Or is there still acknowledgement of playfulness or collaboration or is it always a passive/aggressive oppressor/oppressed situation with hidden "microagressions" depending on the biological makeup of the people involved?

Like as an example, from let's say the 90's to 2010, being around different people from different backgrounds could have lead to a "clash of cultures" but it didn't feel that way because we saw the differences as superficial, to the point where we could laugh about what honestly amused ourselves about each other through comedy. The differences and attractions between the sexes could be expressed playfully, which is what I see "comical lewdness" in entertainment as (not "male gaze oppression.") The result of my own K-12 education has resulted in what I would think of as an "open ended" mindset. I think what's happening is there's a radically different mindset/set of values compared to what the education system produced before. Disclosure: I am in my 30s and was educated in California up to the late 2000s and never ended up with the "identity politics" mindset. I've actually spoken to coworkers about these things too, and all of them are around my age or older. Many do actually use the term "brainwashing" to describe what they see, to be blunt. However, there's a couple of them who are my age or older who do accept the "identity politics" mindset as well, so obviously it isn't necessarily a function of the K-12 system.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

As a Black, Muslim man, it's really difficult for me to weigh into this discourse surrounding 'DEI' topics because it delves into a theme of identity politics that were a large part of my formative years. This isn't even to mention the fact it seems to be used as a dog whistle by certain corners of the poltical Right. Full disclosure; I am not unbiased when it comes to this.

Having said that, I'm not entirely ignorant of the arguments surrounding it, either. But this is not a Coor's Light moment.

Even though many gamers may have strong political views, the medium is still largely isolated from political division. Concord failed because of it's awful, ambiguous reveal; poor reception; lukewarm character designs, and being released in a saturated market at $40, while its competitors are free. It did not fail because the characters had pronouns, or because Firewalk wanted to appeal to 'modern audiences'.

What surprised me were the extent to which some people here were so persuaded that, in fact, it failed specifically because it was 'woke'. With all due respect, that's completely delusional - you are in too deep at that point.

You can be 'anti-woke', anti DEI and still think Concord failed because of a myriad of reasons games tend to fail, particularly Sony GaaS titles. If this were a chapter discussing this game's failure, the pronoun controversy wouldn't be more than a sentence. Instead, some of you have made it to be the Title; Sub-title; Captions and even the Barcode. It is extraordinarily inflated sense that really stood out to me.
No one cares about your identity here one way or another, Meus, and it doesn't factor into whether your argument is valid or not. Just present your argument.

Anyway, it's true that people will still go to a movie or buy a game if it has "woke" elements as long as the rest of the product is seen as compelling. The compelling part is key and it's not a mutually exclusive proposition. In this case, though, it's difficult to market Concord to normal people. The game has no distinguishing characteristics other than its wacky morbidly obese heroes and pronouns. And that is likely a contributing factor to why it's seeing a stronger rejection by consumers than any other major release to date.

Much as in real life, obsessing over identity is not a replacement for having a personality. Firewalk found that out the hard way.

Top Bottom