• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord bombs on Steam with less than 1k players on launch day

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
HfbBAo1.jpeg
Thanks - yes this was the image, I did indeed remember 20M in there but it was for another tier. And it all makes sense now.

There’s no justification for anywhere near the $100m estimate you guys are reeling out. None.
The reason I called out to XB1 launch is that it had one title that was the closest comparison to HB2 scope I can remember (even down to gameplay mechanics - or lack of thereof).
That cost 25-30M but over a decade earlier. Inflation alone adds 50%, and of course game industry costs have escalated a lot in general since (HB2 fidelity is after all - dramatically higher as cutting edge of current gen).
You can argue studio frugality to counter that - but that's a bit nebulous, and MS was involved in paying the bills in both cases (which leads to certain pressures on time & scope etc). Also the developer in 2013 was pretty cost effective in their own right (and I could bring in European costs being lower than UK especially back then). Maybe 100M is pushing it - but under 50M would be lowball IMO - so that gives us the interval, and it likely landed somewhere in between.
Note these budgets include marketing spend etc. too (where og. HB was - practically all grass roots campaigns, so extra cheap).

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So the only one that can remove that is the store page owner, usually the devs themselves? I don't know how tags work on steam.

I believe Valve can if its something super offensive, but essentially yes.

"Order and weight of tags
The tags given the most weight govern your visibility more than those given less. Your title's top 5 tags should paint a fairly clear picture of your game as those tags will also be used to describe your game. Tags are ordered on your game page by the amount of weight each has on your game, as a result of your own sorting in the Tag Wizard. This can be modified over time as a number of players apply particular tags to your game. Some store filters prioritize the first 15 tags, so be sure that these are sorted in order of relevance to your title.

As customers add more tags, the weight for those tags will increase. You can remove any tags you find unwanted ("family friendly" for a horror game) or inaccurate ("2D" for a 3D game)."

Last edited:

Filben

Bad and/or almost non-existent marketing, too few or no new ideas, characters that lack the personality compared to Overwatch which was top-notch in that regard, over-used and over-saturated genre in a highly competitive environment with GaaS games coming out every month, 40EUR price tag for a genre that has F2P or lower-than-40EUR price conventions, AFAIK PSN requirement for PC version.

I think these are the main points. I'm not really surprised.

Lupin25

‘Mercy…

Probably why Sony has Astrobot coming in less than 2 weeks.

Let this come & go, get that bad taste out of your mouth. Then start marketing Astro
& September we’re back to gravy & biscuits.

Last edited:
How many games does Mr Corporate Kiss Arse buy a year

gHoFzu5.jpeg

Self righteous shaming of the consumer always works every time, amirite? But there a lot of tells going on with these posts, a shift in their approach. Now we are discussing remakes and the death of original games. Methinks their usual well is running dry on effectiveness. Now... it's about original stories vs. corporate remake sequel slop. Shit is changing.

Last edited:

Nydius

That's a bullshit take. This game isn't failing because it took risks. It is failing because it simply does not appeal to hardly anyone.

Exactly. In fact the game took exactly zero risks except for the DEI/SJW stuff. The game itself is a bog standard shooter that just copied the homework of a bunch of other games and fails to stand out in any meaningful way. It's the epitome of a "safe" game. They thought they had a blockbuster on their hands simply because they were chasing a popular trend, and that people would overlook everything else.

Trend chasing is just as bad, if not worse, than an endless cycle of remakes and remasters.

Self righteous shaming of the consumer always works every time, amirite? But there a lot of tells going on with these posts, a shift in their approach. Now we are discussing remakes and the death of original games. Methinks their usual well is running dry on effectiveness. Now... it's about original stories vs. corporate remake sequel slop. Shit is changing.

It’s the arrogance that gets me. Does that twat even buy games?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Exactly. In fact the game took exactly zero risks except for the DEI/SJW stuff. The game itself is a bog standard shooter that just copied the homework of a bunch of other games and fails to stand out in any meaningful way. It's the epitome of a "safe" game. They thought they had a blockbuster on their hands simply because they were chasing a popular trend, and that people would overlook everything else.

Trend chasing is just as bad, if not worse, than an endless cycle of remakes and remasters.
Even the DEI stuff probably seemed like a safe bet 8 years ago when this game was conceived (and might’ve helped them get funding). You know they were all drinking the kool aid “oh the modern audience is diverse and they want characters who look like them!”

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
rFhUWP0.png

Currently 4.6k viewers on Twitch, meaning there are about 80 or so categories/games more popular right now.

3,859 of those viewers are from 4 streams with women in various states of undress.
It's now at 4,900 viewers on Twitch.

4,700 of those viewers are on a single channel that's disclosed they've been paid to play and stream the game. There are 40 other streamers streaming the game right now, with 200 views distributed between them.

I guess the popular stream is some sort of semi-famous Overwatch streamer? Anyway, this fuckin overlay on the stream lol

7gbMEXI.png

This is Saturday afternoon following a Friday launch. There are more people watching this ad for the game on Twitch than there are people playing it on Steam. It's deader than dead.

Last edited:

Complistic

4,700 of those viewers are on a single channel that's disclosed they've been paid to play and stream the game. There are 40 other streamers streaming the game right now, with 200 views distributed between them.

I guess the popular stream is some sort of semi-famous Overwatch streamer? Anyway, this fuckin overlay on the stream lol

7gbMEXI.png

This is Saturday afternoon following a Friday launch. There are more people watching this ad for the game on Twitch than there are people playing it on Steam. It's deader than dead.
Maybe they should pay everyone to play the game?

7gbMEXI.png

Thats Emongg, a prominent long-term Overwatch streamer with a dedicated audience.

He's 100% being paid to play it and try and get some exposure for the game. Take the bag and run, my friend. It won't make a difference for them in the end.

He's a good guy and I've watched him many times(great tank player) but his audience won't resonate for it either.

Last edited:
Perhaps developers finally realize that this whole woke thing is hurting their business. Before the start of all these things, I don’t remember anyone complaining about missing representation in games.

And especially this kind of genre was always rather targeted at a male audience. But some people thought suddenly that men and women should be the same and have the same kind of interests.
Men and Women are different and have different interests and that is a good thing. I always imagine what a boring life it would be if my wife would have exactly the same interests like me. Through her I get to know new stuff and that is a good thing.

And then the whole push for diversity and queerness. Do developers really believe it is a good business idea to target their games to queer people (who are around 20% of the population) and drive in the process the main audience away. And I can’t also remember queer people asking for more queer content in games, so it is really strange where this whole push is coming from.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

7gbMEXI.png

UWvDupu.png

Looks like it’s gonna peak 30% lower on Saturday than it did Friday. Can’t even hold a player base for 24 hours, I wonder how many refund requests so far.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

gHoFzu5.jpeg
They spent years working on it and they were paid for their time, despite having no talent or ability to produce something consumers want. And now we’re not even on the hook to pay the bill for the dreck they made, and can safely ignore it. It’s a win-win for all of us! Except for Sony.

SkylineRKR

Yeah no.

Stellar Blade and Black Myth are new IP too. But obviously they don't fit their agenda.

Anyway, Concord might be a new IP. Its yet another GaaS shooter with F2P written all over it, and its as safe as they come. It carefully avoids any sort of discussion for the sake of inclusion and diversity. Why would you applaud this? Sorry but I'd take a remake (RE, FF) or sequels (Infinite Wealth, Tekken 8) over this shit any day of the week. Games like Concord that lack any kind of soul and are filled with DEI are in fact the reason I rather play remakes or sequels instead.

These guys poured their heart and soul into a project that no one asked for. Had Sony released a new Socom game instead the player count would probably be higher.

It isn't altogether dissimilar from Suicide Squad, but even that got a significant delay.

(and I don't for a minute believe it was for polish, it was to try and hope the time would alleviate some of the negative discourse surrounding its reveal)

These developers made a game almost nobody wanted and it's astounding they went ahead and pushed forward.

They, not to put too fine a point on it, made a game for 1% of the population and well, it looks like thats exactly what they got.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

gHoFzu5.jpeg
A bad product that took years to make, got lousy reviews, and with gaming it can be a pain in the butt to just get a refund, the studio deserves it. Animator worker calling out people on Twitter does no favours either.

Nothing wrong with remakes and safe sequels. Companies do that all the time whether it's a movie, annual FIFA and COD, or Oreo cookies being sold for 100 years. A good product doesn't have to be mindblowing or reinvent the wheel.

At least if there's going to be a lot of time and budget put into it, pick a product that has a chance to sell. And not funnel it all into a niche product with zero hope of breaking even. That's when you know the company is going agenda hopping, instead of trying to make a product someone wants to make some money to survive another day.

Last edited:
Stellar Blade and Black Myth are new IP too. But obviously they don't fit their agenda.
Stellar Blade is a new IP. Black Myth - not exactly.

Nothing wrong with remakes and safe sequels. Companies do that all the time whether it's a movie, annual FIFA and COD, or Oreo cookies being sold for 100 years. A good product doesn't have to be mindblowing or reinvent the wheel.
But the reason they are doing that is because they know that it is hard to replicate a successful idea. Remakes and remasters are also done to the games that used to be quite popular or have a cult status now.

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

This is what you get Sony, give us some real shit now, Socom, Resistance, Killzone, The Getaway, or some new ip on that level.

I know I make so many pro Xbox post that should be coming at you as some joke but speaking honestly for me personaly (as a PS5 owner, and every PS console in the past) Sony have been a bigger let down this gen than Microsoft. Im a gamer its my passion since I was a kid, fuck me I jist bust 800 great British bangers on a Rog Ally X, I love hardware, consoles, PC, but most of all games. Both of these mobs have produced dogshit this gen, lets be real between them there top boys are what Halo, Forza H5, ForzaM, Hellblade2, God of War, Horizon FB, GT, fuck all that AstroBot hype, is I was 30yrs younger it would be on my radar but not now.

Im glad these woke joke games are bombing hard, fuck them pussy mandem that make them aswell time to get in the mines and rough yo hands up for onces as creating good games aint for you.

Fingers crossed times will change and we will start to get more game reminiscent of what we have had before bur with modern tech, if not Enjoy more wasted money on these giant piles of stanky shit.

Top Bottom