• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord flopping = The end of the live service trend chasing

Is Concord the beginning of the end of trend chasing life service games?

• KEKW! its done boss LOL!

• LMAO! concord has no rizz loloolol not over yet kek

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Success

EDIT:

It truly is the end.

Redfall
Sega's Hyenas
Square's Foamstars
Ubisoft's Skull and Bones
Suicide Squad

And now Concord.

With Concord being an even harder flop than even the most staunchest of haters could have imagined. It sends a clear signal to the gaming industry that live service trend chasing will no longer work.

Similar to past trends from: military shooters, to tacked on multiplayer, to plastic peripherals, to everything being a battle royale.

With Black Myth being such a blow out success with about 80% of players being in China. I suspect the new trend will be single player games chasing the Chinese market.

What do you think the next trend will be?

EDIT:
I corrected Foamstar with Square instead of Ubisoft.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
With Concord being an even harder flop than even the most staunchest of haters could have imagined. It sends a clear signal to the gaming industry that live service trend chasing will no longer work.

As long as a game like Fortnite will continue to have 3 million daily players and multi billion annual revenue, other companies will keep trying to be the next success story like that.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Concord thread number 5,000. For a game that flopped people can’t help but make weird threads about it lol
Keep It Coming Sabrina Carpenter GIF by First We Feast

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I think we need a "God I hope so" option

its essentially this meme

but they keep fucking doing it, like I thought we where done 3 failures ago, but they just keep fucking doing it.

stop.

Last edited:

Xyphie

We have another trend chasing hero shooter in Marvel Rivals coming up soon which is shaping up to be decently successful if interest in the beta is anything to go by. Sony and Firewalk cluelessness just resulted in a failure to execute with Concord.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

People want it to be the end, but of course it won't be. So many service games are still coming from other developers and studios, doubt they're changing their minds at all.

If anything, maybe Sony will be a bit more cautious, but that's about it.

Killjoy-NL

Gaas is going nowhere and will co-exist with singleplayer for the foreseeable future.
Games just need to resonate with the gaming community.

BM Wukong did, Concord didn't.
Dustborn didn't, Helldivers 2 did.

It's all part of gaming.

It wont end but hopefully this will make Sony realize they are much better off crafting AAA SP games as they have always done so well. One can hope.

T4keD0wN

None of these have failed because theyre live service, they have all failed either because they suck or because theyre unoriginal, or both.

This is not the end, there will be many more projects and many more flops, some brand new creative idea ones might even do well, but the ones that seek to "steal" the playerbase from Fortnite/Destiny/Overwatch or whatever game theyre trying to replace are doomed to fail since theyd have to make a game thats better than those in every single aspect and nobody is capable of that.

Last edited:
I doubt they'll drop the live service thing entirely, it's way too profitable to ignore. They might just pivot to games with smaller budgets and shorter development times instead.

Sony could probably have made three Helldivers 2's with the time and money they spent on Concord.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
live service games are stagnant it seems, looks like the same few old GaaS franchise like fortnite, COD is the only one surviving.

New GaaS IP most likely would fail and in need of miracles to survive.

Last edited:
Any "lesson" Sony would learn from Concord would only show itself 7 years in the future. That is the problem with such lag time with game development.

Elios83

And Helldivers2 was a huge hit that has generated far more profits than expected.
GaaS chase won't end because if you get a major hit you are showered with easy money for years and for publishers chasing that kind of success is worth having a few botched attempts.
It's a risky market though, so it's important to strike a balance and not put all the eggs in a single basket.

Holammer

Nah, they'll keep on doing them. Said it before, GaaS games can be Wonka's Golden lottery ticket. Offering riches beyond your wildest dreams.
Concord's problem is that whomever funded it and Sony buying the studio is a fucking comedy of errors. If they did a good old fashioned focus group test the money people would have noticed the obvious glaring problems.

What we need in the GaaS space are games with a strong PVE/Single player component so it's not a worthless brick when player populations dry up. Like Nintendo does with Splatoon. You can play them for the story mode alone and get your money's worth. Side Order DLC is immaculate! So good.

Last edited:

whyman

Redfall
Sega's Hyenas
Ubisoft's Foamstars
Ubisoft's Skull and Bones
Suicide Squad

And now Concord.

Similar to past trends from: military shooters, to tacked on multiplayer, to plastic peripherals, to everything being a battle royale.

With Black Myth being such a blow out success with about 80% of players being in China. I suspect the new trend will be single player games chasing the Chinese market.

What do you think the next trend will be?
Did WB not announce that they would be going SAAS after the success with single-player Harry Potter. These are some of the greediest people in the world, any single-player game that does well is seen as an opportunity to do even better as a SAAS. Black Myth might be different, but it is also from oppressive communist China, and I would never spend a single euro to support that.

Why did you put Yes and No as options?

Anyways, it will be over once COD, Fortnite, GTA, Minecraft would stop being cultural phenomenon.

ByWatterson

Few people are playing Helldivers 2 right now.

But that one game made Sony way more money than they lost on Concord. They will continue to believe they just need to crack one major success.

Last edited:

Tomi

Yep, they will stop developing so many čive service games because people dont like them anymore

It might put an end to, or at least diminish DEI activist devs ruining games (Concord being a prime example that's on the radar of the whole industry now), but GaaS is here to stay.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
We need at least 20 to 30 more big budget AAA Gaas games to flop before pubs feel it big time where it hurts aka in their wallet, so it will take at least till the end of current gen, likely even couple of years into next gen too

Shubh_C63

multiple GaaS can co-exists with each other easily.

People who do play GaaS run out of content fast and mostly opt to play 2 GaaS games together casually.
It's not going anywhere.

I doubt it will do much to buck that trend. What I do hope for is that it will at least make Bungie rethink that boneheaded idea of turning Marathon into a ”hero” game.

Skifi28

historians will point to this game being the pivotal point of the end of the live service trend chasing.
Why Concord specifically and not all the other live service games that fail anually? I'd say Valve's new hero shooter failing could potentially be even bigger.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Keep dreaming, mate.

As a software engineer, I can tell you that they’ll keep pushing, no matter how pointless the project seems.

I’ve worked on several projects where everyone knew it was a waste of time, but the higher-ups insisted on moving forward.

Most of those projects never saw the light of day, but I still got paid and couldn’t care less.It’s the same with game development.

PeteBull

Gold Member
I doubt it will do much to buck that trend. What I do hope for is that it will at least make Bungie rethink that boneheaded idea of turning Marathon into a ”hero” game.
Nah bro, bungie already brainwashed to the teeth with that ez GAAS money and DEI, they are lost case, and so is their upcoming Marathon game, gotta let it bomb hard too so next dev team/another publisher doesnt get any funny ideas.
It took solid few years before companies stopped making "wow-killer", "call of duty-killer", "halo-killer", etc games, we gotta be patient and stay on course as community, let that monster eat itself from inside :)

Kerotan

Sony have Helldivers and GT7. if they'd any brains the concord studio will focus on content for Helldivers.

There's room for one more GAAS from Sony I'm just shocked they didn't back the Last of Us to be the one.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Live service isn't going to end because a game like Concord flops. Games are going to remain online, connected, and MTX funded. There's obviously a market for live service but that market can currently only support just so many of the same type of game. To succeed a game needs to be better at something than the games people are currently playing and Concord just isn't that game.

Top Bottom