• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Sony absolutely made the right call. This was a mercy killing and they are refunding everyone. You simply can’t force people to give a shit about your GaaS slop. Biggest mistake Sony made was not delaying this and quietly canceling it after there were tumbleweeds blowing through their beta. Ubisoft has done this with several flopped GaaS attempts.

I admit Sony could had given gamers more show time. The first big showing was end of may, then a rush to some videos, beta and launch.

The marketing time frame was really and oddly scrunched. But it still had its chance. Lots of dev time, budget

Even concord gamepads promoted by Sony. Only big splashy games get that kind of attention.

DonF

The only person I feel bad for in this whole mess is Daniel Pemberton, the composer of the soundtrack. He did a phenomenal job with the music for this dumpster fire of a game. A shame his musical work will go unnoticed.

Quite literally the only thing about Concord that I liked.

g5XRR59.png
its a shame...technical presentation and sound in the game was great!

Last edited:

Nydius

So is this a thing now, where people put their disabilities and chronic illnesses on their twitter bio?

Has been for a while now. It’s just a sad attempt at clout chasing by narcissists.

“Pity me and give me your engagement because I claim to have this medical condition.” OR “How dare you criticize my work, I have (insert medical condition here)!”

Would say similar flop tho.

Suicide squad was by a famous SP developer. Cost way more. Had an established popular IP. We didn’t get a Batman game all of us wanted as a result

I wouldn’t say similar at all, expectations all around were much higher.

The fact that they are pulling the game is embarrassing but that’s really not a barometer for being the “greatest flop of all time” hyperbole

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
To be honest, why shutting it down, load on servers has to be minimal, most likely it runs on something like Kubernetes, so I don't see a reason to shut it down, just make it F2P and it has a chance, I believe. This is weird move
Its honestly a shitty move for consumers. Sony should keep it up a year minimum for the few people that bought it. But they're scrapping it instantly to save themselves money.

tommib

Its honestly a shitty move for consumers. Sony should keep it up a year minimum for the few people that bought it. But they're scrapping it instantly to save themselves money.
That tells you how much money they already wasted. They simply can’t waste any more money on this. Because it’s been an ultra money sink.

They can’t afford to keep it running. Those ultra expensive CGI vignettes would be an investment black hole. Pull the plug. Deal with the embarrassment and bury it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Wow. I don't even know what to say. Is Firewalk gone after this?

Didn't this cost like 180mil to make over 8 years, and they are refunding EVERYBODY!?

Damn I shoulda bought this. I'll never know fully why this game did so badly.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I wonder if Sony are realising the woke issue

Coming from a lefty the writing is on the wall. Woke ideas in media is dead. Not because having diversity or whatever is wrong, because it is fundamentally not cool

Right now these near 40 millenials with purple hair telling everyone how to think and behave. Sorry gen alpha and gen z to a lesser extent are going to have zero interest in what you are preaching. They think you are losers. It's the equivalent of expecting people to be interested in a game about Christian virtues in 2004
I fucking despise politics in games and in online discourse. I love that evillore banned politics on gaf. It sucks to see the industry completely fucking obsessed with pushing agendas. Star Wars outlaws is not a bad game like concord. it has a 78 on metacritic and yet its being blasted on youtube, twitter and most message boards to the point where its basically a flop now. Why? Because the main character is ugly. Why is she ugly? Because some moron decided women in modern video games cant be attractive. I do not understand. Nathan Drake is also a rat criminal and he looked like this.

NathanDrake.jpg

Why do this? Especially when your engineers have gone above and beyond creating a beautiful next gen game? Especially when your greedy publisher has allowed you to make an AAA story driven adventure instead of shoving GaaS down your throat like most other publishers? Why have a black samurai in your very first Japanese AC game? I honestly dont care about the african samurai or the ugly lead. I think the black samurai actually looks badass, and am too big of a graphics whore to let next gen games go, but I see flops like this and I am like who is responsible? I highly doubt the CEO of ubisoft wanted an ugly female lead or a black samuari. I highly doubt Herman wanted every single character in Concord to be absolutely repulsive. Have pronouns.

It's those goddamn millennial devs who have hijacked this industry and people are too afraid to call them out and stop them in their tracks for fear of being blasted on twitter. i bet 99% of millenial workers are normal and its the mentally deranged idiots who we have let take over the asylum.

Last edited:

Aenima

They are issuing full refunds. Thats the right thing to do to consumers. Game had double digit players playing the game, some ppl was already getting big matchmaking waiting times, things was only get worse and worse since launch. It was a dead game. Killing it for good and issuing refunds as fast as possible is exactly the right thing to do to consumers. Not keeping a dead game going for a year and then not issuing any refunds.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

GOOD! No reason to burn more money. Are you anti-business or something?

Reactions: CLW

Killer8

Buying the entire studio is the strongest show of confidence possible and is a huge cause for concern as Sony’s judgement is clearly way of base for the first time its history.

I’ll say it again; the move to California has killed the brand we grew up with.

The issue is not really misguided confidence, it's desperation.

People often think that Sony bought up a bunch of these no-names like Firewalk, Firesprite and Haven as a sort of tit-for-tat response to Microsoft buying some of their own. The timing of the announcements over the last years contributed to that impression, but I don't think retaliatory acquisitions against MS was the goal. I think the reality is that Sony had also destroyed so many of their own IP factories over the years and themselves needed to urgently replenish - just preferably in Jim's ill-fated live service direction.

Whenever I hear people talk about "just invest money into more single player", I have to stop and ask - what studio is going to make them? The single player studios they own already have AAA projects on their plate. These take 5+ years to produce nowadays if not usually longer. Sony are now faced with holes in their release calendar which have to be plugged with third-party exclusivity deals. Just look at this year's releases for a perfect example of that. They don't have enough studios any more to make their own content, partly because over the last couple of generations they closed restructured Japan Studio, shuttered half a dozen of their UK studios and killed off Zipper (who in a stroke of irony could've made the very live service wank they've embarked upon).

These are the teams who used to put out a lot of their genre and middle market games which filled out release calendars, as well as provided the bulk of support for their side-hustles like PSVR, PSP and Vita. Every time PSVR2 is brought up, people always ask "where's the games"? Well, there's only about two internal studios left to actually make exclusives for it. Can't really expect miracles from something so anemic. There's currently rumors of a new Sony handheld coming out and, if it's not just going to be a cross-platform / port machine (snooze...), I guarantee people will be asking the same question - because again, who's going to make them?

This is what you get when you don't invest in talent and just cut what stops immediately making you money. Both Sony and Microsoft have found this out the hard way because what they've acquired to cement over the cracks is producing dogshit.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It had a beta
Yea, but I had no interest in playing it. This sudden development is kinda historic honestly. I did the same thing with Anthem. Didn't play the beta but when it went down in flames I went and bought a copy for 5 bucks at Gamestop, just to have the game in case it shutdown. Which proved to be mostly unnecessary because I believe Anthem servers are still going.

Reaseru

Additional Level Design on Hyper Light Drifter, and Additional Sandbox Design on Destiny 2. What a resume!
And now creator of the biggest flop a Playstation 1st party studio ever released.

But something tells me this one is going to escape immaculately between the raindrops of a tropical storm.

Vyse

Gold Member
I fucking despise politics in games and in online discourse. I love that evillore banned politics on gaf. It sucks to see the industry completely fucking obsessed with pushing agendas. Star Wars outlaws is not a bad game like concord. it has a 78 on metacritic and yet its being blasted on youtube, twitter and most message boards to the point where its basically a flop now. Why? Because the main character is ugly. Why is she ugly? Because some moron decided women in modern video games cant be attractive. I do not understand. Nathan Drake is also a rat criminal and he looked like this.

NathanDrake.jpg

Why do this? Especially when your engineers have gone above and beyond creating a beautiful next gen game? Especially when your greedy publisher has allowed you to make an AAA story driven adventure instead of shoving GaaS down your throat like most other publishers? Why have a black samurai in your very first Japanese AC game? I honestly dont care about the african samurai or the ugly lead. I think the black samurai actually looks badass, and am too big of a graphics whore to let next gen games go, but I see flops like this and I am like who is responsible? I highly doubt the CEO of ubisoft wanted an ugly female lead or a black samuari. I highly doubt Herman wanted every single character in Concord to be absolutely repulsive. Have pronouns.

It's those goddamn millennial devs who have hijacked this industry and people are too afraid to call them out and stop them in their tracks for fear of being blasted on twitter. i bet 99% of millenial workers are normal and its the mentally deranged idiots who we have let take over the asylum.
Two words for Outlaws: “Pretty Patch!”.

Top Bottom