• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
However, while many qualities of the experience resonated with players, we also recognize that other aspects of the game and our initial launch didn’t land the way we’d intended​

How far does your head go up your own behind?

“Game had MANY qualities that resonated with people, but few bits and pieces did not… so we will shut the entire thing off and refund everyone”.

Yeah, keep trying to sell it as a misunderstood success… 🤦‍♂️.

havoc00

FtRkZ8x.jpeg

aerts1js

well, yeah. but this's a classic example of 'having to learn the hard way'. & a corporation as established/experienced as sony should never have to be reduced to that learning level, which's traditionally the domain of up'n'coming businesses...
I love Sony but we all know they aren’t flawless when it comes to their choices. I mean this was an extra kind of stupid but yeah.

Sony absolutely made the right call. This was a mercy killing and they are refunding everyone. You simply can’t force people to give a shit about your GaaS slop. Biggest mistake Sony made was not delaying this and quietly canceling it after there were tumbleweeds blowing through their beta. Ubisoft has done this with several flopped GaaS attempts.

Why am I not surprised that this tweet is coming from an IGN employee?

tmlDan

People like this must live in a different universe because we were “able to try” Concord as well. For two weekends no less. And we immediately saw it was a shit game.
not many people tried it even then to be fair.

And they are right, Deadlocks characters look like dog trash doo doo.

Bernardougf

Sony didn't believe in this and failed to support it? Really now? The same company that bought them and threw money on developing the game?

I am relieved Sony pulled the plug. Now they have to return to single player cinematic games that put them on the throne they are sitting on
This people never ever take accountability for anything... and so they cant improve to survive... and thats why they soon will be a footnote in a dark time covered in history books and laughter stocks for our grandsons and daughters

Killjoy-NL

People like this must live in a different universe because we were “able to try” Concord as well. For two weekends no less. And we immediately saw it was a shit game.
He's not entirely wrong, but the gaming community pretty much collectively rejecting the game says everything there is to say.

Bombolone

Gold Member
Will Ferrell Lol GIF

Not my words...
"It should not be a surprise that this stuff fails. Just make a good game and learn the art of allegory."
- reddit dude

Where are the adults? These games aren't your diaries, your college art projects.
Or just bring down the budgets to reflect that. Nothing wrong with that at all. It's Sony's fault for putting so much money into this.

Natsuko

People who say stuff like that ... do they have a tree on which money grows? I have a limited amount of money at my fingertips. If I have the choice between a game where I read shortly after launch that it will be more difficult to find matches because nobody wants to play it and something that is better received ... why exactly should I buy Concord? :pie_thinking:

Sony absolutely made the right call. This was a mercy killing and they are refunding everyone. You simply can’t force people to give a shit about your GaaS slop. Biggest mistake Sony made was not delaying this and quietly canceling it after there were tumbleweeds blowing through their beta. Ubisoft has done this with several flopped GaaS attempts.

Six months for… 10-30 players?
Yeah whatever. It's their own fault, hope some of those people sweep some streets with a rainbow-colored broom for a job

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

It’s a fantastic win.

If the company is smart enough to figure it out they won’t do it again and make a better game next time.

Other kind of companies are different because if you like popular Mountain Dew, Pepsi isn’t going to stop making it. Any new products will be addition to the classic yellowy goodness. Gaming is different as studios usually make one game at a time over 5 years kind of thing. One stinker game means they just wasted a ton of money and time when they could had made something good.

>concord going offline
>dustborn bombed
>acolyte 2 cancelled
>borderlands movie flopped
>blue hair and journos seething

VFfe4Rq.jpeg
This is a long war bro, these aren't even the first real battles. The real challenge lies ahead to get rid of the mind virus infection that the entirety of Sony's studios are filled with

Yoboman

I wonder if Sony are realising the woke issue

Coming from a lefty the writing is on the wall. Woke ideas in media is dead. Not because having diversity or whatever is wrong, because it is fundamentally not cool

Right now these near 40 millenials with purple hair telling everyone how to think and behave. Sorry gen alpha and gen z to a lesser extent are going to have zero interest in what you are preaching. They think you are losers. It's the equivalent of expecting people to be interested in a game about Christian virtues in 2004

xanaum

Neo Member
In my opinion, Sony deserves credit for handling things this way. I wish everyone would own up to their disasters like this.

On the other hand, they need to learn from their mistakes. Games as a service, combined with an obsession for diversity, is like turning on a bomb and hoping for a happy ending.

I wonder if Hermen Hulst is really the right person to lead Sony's studios, and what will happen with Fairgame$, which seems to be paired with Concord in this cringe dance.

Top Bottom