• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
8lyuESr.png

The Phantom Menace Fear GIF by Star Wars
She's going to be incommunicable for quite some time.

Baby Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

ViperZombie

Neo Member
Where's all these modern gamers they keep making these games for, oh that's right they're probably glued to a highway somewhere saving the planet.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Wow I didn’t realize Prof was a published novelist as well:

Growt doesn’t remember who they used to be before the Pit. They were lucky to fly out, but Growt can’t fly away from what it left inside them.

Fuck this really sounds like a page turner

Fabieter

Slightly inferior $40 dollar product in a F2P field.
The worst sense of progression in any game I've played in a long time.
DEI characters made the game mockable on social media. PvP type people might react more strongly against these characters.
6 game modes had "Jack of all trades, master of none" effect.

I just hope the studio leadership gets shaken up, they do a thorough review of what it did wrong, and they're allowed one more crack at a proper, forward thinking multiplayer game. They're currently hiring for 8 positions so it's possible Sony is giving them another crack. We'll see if those job postings are still up in a month.

With the right idea, art style etc they could absolutely smash it. It wasn't all bad.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
What a move. I never thought I would see the day that we would find a Sony developed and produced game in this situation. Honestly, probably for the best. It was dead in the water due to the perception (I can't say if it was really deserved or not), and they have the opportunity to maybe change that perception. That's assuming it doesn't just got tossed in the trash and written off.

Interfectum

Gold Member
Wow I didn’t realize Prof was a published novelist as well:

Fuck this really sounds like a page turner
"I loved this book. After reading it the first time, I immediately restarted it to read it again. And then I did it again. And this was when I was already had a lot more things to do than usual.

The book was sweet, and I will no doubt return to it many, many times."

Ok "Kate" aka The Professor.

Nydius

The game is technically functional, so reworking it to be F2P probably won't take long (a couple of months, maybe). Since everyone who already bought it is getting refunded, they're kind of absolving themselves of their existing roadmap and commitments. They also have time to potentially tweak the character designs to make people actually want to play this vs the thousands of other popular free games on the market.

It'll still do laughably bad numbers, but it would allow Sony to recoup SOME costs from this turd.

Are you familiar with the idiom of “don’t throw good money after bad”? The game failed to capture any audience even when it had a free beta. After a dismal beta period and even more dismal launch, that has now culminated in today’s events, the game will forever be considered a failure.

Even if there’s a framework here, the reputation of the game has made it unsalvageable. Spending the money to retool the game into a F2P offering would be a massive waste of money, resources, and time. It would be the second biggest bungle behind letting it launch in the first place.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
To be honest, why shutting it down, load on servers has to be minimal, most likely it runs on something like Kubernetes, so I don't see a reason to shut it down, just make it F2P and it has a chance, I believe. This is weird move

Interfectum

Gold Member
Hopefully this is a wake up call for publishers to pull back on live service games. The market is too crowded now and the single player space is still wide open.
Should also be a wake up call for publishers and developers on how to treat their fanbases. The demographic those developers hate are the same demographic that will buy their game. Some day they will sort this out.

Interfectum

Gold Member
To be honest, why shutting it down, load on servers has to be minimal, most likely it runs on something like Kubernetes, so I don't see a reason to shut it down, just make it F2P and it has a chance, I believe. This is weird move
The concurrent player base dipped down to 24 players on launch week. The game is dead. Even if they paid people to play it would't move the needle. Time to cut losses and move on.

Last edited:

Astray

IP is thoroughly poisoned now. There is no point in spending one dollar more on it than is necessary.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Are you familiar with the idiom of “don’t throw good money after bad”? The game failed to capture any audience even when it had a free beta. After a dismal beta period and even more dismal launch, that has now culminated in today’s events, the game will forever be considered a failure.

Even if there’s a framework here, the reputation of the game has made it unsalvageable. Spending the money to retool the game into a F2P offering would be a massive waste of money, resources, and time. It would be the second biggest bungle behind letting it launch in the first place.
I'm very familiar with the phrase, I used it a few days ago to describe this very scenario

I'm not saying they WILL go F2P, just that Sony might still gamble a little more to try and make something back from this mess. And I agree, it would be a huge bungle.

KINGMOKU

"Concord fans..."

Making it sound like they are speaking to the masses.

Your speaking to the dozens.

"Dear moderately sized group of blue hairs..."

Nydius

just make it F2P and it has a chance, I believe

Servers cost money to run, and when the game was completely F2P on PC for a four day weekend, it got a whopping 2388 max concurrent users. Even if it did ten times that number on PS5, it wouldn’t be enough to financially justify it.

peek

Ayyyy! Hope yall ordered and bought those special concord controllers! Its gonna be a rare collectors item like the ET game xD

violence

Servers cost money to run, and when the game was completely F2P on PC for a four day weekend, it got a whopping 2388 max concurrent users. Even if it did ten times that number on PS5, it wouldn’t be enough to financially justify it.
Their message sounded like it was going free to play at a later date but now I’m questioning it.

Sony doesn't fuck around huh

I wonder how long Firewalk has before they are shut down and everyone at that studio are laid off?

8 years development and God knows how many millions spent for this LMAO

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Like I said if its on Kubernetes, price for this would in few USD per month with such a low player count

Zacfoldor

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about hero shooters (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. This isn't like Lawbreakers, which was developed for Overwatch loving assholes. If you screw someone in the Playstation community, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is that fans of hero shooters after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase GAAS games on any Sony system, nor will they purchase a PS6. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and bring back Concord for PSN or you can kiss your business goodbye.
So they alienated the pvp market and are hurriedly scrambling to slap together a soulslike(probably)? AND I won't have to fight scalpers for my PS6?

I'll allow it.

If they really want to do a GAAS that will get players back there's always Bloodborne Kart.

Last edited:

Nydius

The only person I feel bad for in this whole mess is Daniel Pemberton, the composer of the soundtrack. He did a phenomenal job with the music for this dumpster fire of a game. A shame his musical work will go unnoticed.

Quite literally the only thing about Concord that I liked.

g5XRR59.png

Top Bottom