• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

bundylove

YzxLpAr.jpeg

YzxLpAr.jpeg

Ogbert

Gold Member
No this is objectively false, they already threw in the towel for support

And it cost way more money to make than concord, it is far more in the red even if it “sold better” (what a phony victory that is)
I have no idea why you are carrying so much water for this game.

The bottom line is not the only metric. Concord is such a cosmic turkey, in terms of concurrent users, that it is causing reputational damage to Sony. They do not want to be associated with it. They do not want to ‘soft launch’ it again and see the numbers literally double to almost 200 players.

The game is an embarrassment.

simpatico

Gold Member
Everyone thinking this could come back as F2P.... do you guys really think Sony is going to start throwing NEW money at this turd? Seriously? Converting it to F2P would take a ton of dev time and effort. I'm sure Firewalk hopes Sony decides to go that route, but I've got a feeling offices are being packed up as we post in this thread.

GloveSlap

Yes

Games used to be designed on the rule of cool. Now it's about preaching a message, and that message is about 10-15 years out of date from being interesting or culturally relevant. 13 year old boys aren't going to be buying your game featuring overweight 38 year old millenials. I don't know how this is hard to see

It's the same thing I feel about Marvel style writing. It's not 2010 anymore. We can move on

I have nothing against hiring a diverse team of people. But keep that shit behind closed doors. I do not need to see a reflection of your HR policy in your character design. Like do I have to describe how fucking boring and lame that shit is? If the ideas you bring to gaming are literally skin deep nobody is going to care
Yeah, i have seen the rejection of this stuff in younger people first hand. It makes sense too since this started as a way of rebelling against "the man". The people screeching online still LARP as rebels, but they became "the man" years ago.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Yeah Ill give them credit for this. Game should’ve been canned after the beta and saved themselves the embarrassment, but it’s unfair to have people pay $40 for a dead game. Might as well take it on the chin.
Man I’m so baffled they even launched it. Everyone hated the reveal trailer. Free open beta maxed out at 2,388 concurrent players on Steam, and got a lukewarm reception from those who bothered to try it. There was nonstop bad publicity about how few people played the beta. What in the hell did they think would happen when they launched at $40??

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
At lunch, the game was at 25 people as per Steam charts. Announcement goes out and it literally spiked to 100 fast. Looks like Concord gamers want to get in their last few days of gaming asap.

Fbh

The only way the purchase makes sense to me is that the studio was already in trouble and Sony got it for cheap.

Otherwise, I don't know what the hell the bean counters at Sony were thinking.

That would at least make some sense I guess.
I think there's a real possibility though that they really thought this game was going to be a big hit and wanted to secure the studio before the game came out (at which point, assuming it was a hit, the price of the studio would have skyrocketed and other potential buyers might enter the picture)

Astray

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford I'll give you a solid piece of advice, son.

Sometimes you have to know when to take a L. It's honestly not that deep.

There's a conversation to be had about why this game failed, how much it failed, and whether that failure shapes the future of SIE or is just a freak accident. But this thread isn't the time for it lol.

Suicide Squad sold many more copies than Concord did, and IIRC at full price.
Rocksteady can come back with a new Arkham game, and if it's good then they get back in good graces.

What does Firewalk studios fall back on? I think at best this studio gets folded into other ones. At very best.

I think it's all about reputation at this point. They don't want this blemish to sustain in a year where they are launching the PS5 Pro and Astrobot. Get out ahead of it as much as possible. This will carry a narrative for bit before falling into obscurity.
Yep, it's basically them trying to pull the plug on the meme failure story.

The downside of this decision is that now the gaming public knows they will cut and run if a game tanks. That's not a good rep to have in the GAAS space, there's a reason Bethesda stuck by Fallout 76, and it's to avoid that exact rep.

blacktout

Do you think the physical game or the controller will be a rarer collectors item?

If I had a physical copy, I would pass on the refund, that's for sure. I assume any currently on shelves are being pulled, so there may only be a couple thousand (or even just a few hundred!) in the wild. You can bet those are going to be highly sought after by completionist collectors who don't care whether the game is playable or not, since they have no plans to ever take it out of the box anyway.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Because of this.

i-worry-people-are-misunderstanding-sonys-plan-for-future-v0-i921qt30aacb1.jpg

This game along with a dozen others came at the expense of the single player narrative driven games playstation fans love to play. 60% of their budget this year is wasted on these games. At a time where costs have risen exponentially, they have cut down investment in single player games, shut down studios, laid off almost a thousand people from talented studios like ND, GG and Insomniac, all to invest in trash like this.

Maybe you are not a fan of playstation. But people who are fans should look at how they cut down the sp investment by FY23 and then only brought it up to FY19 pre pandemic levels when they shouldve been increasing the budgets to keep up with rising costs of next gen game development. Concord survived while other studios got shut down or gutted by herman cunt and his band of morons.

That is why people care.
When those powerpoint slides were done, was Concord part of the GAAS tally they were promoting? If it was, you can cancel another one from the 12.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Dude, the game had an 8 year dev cycle, a new controller, and over $100M invested into this. It didn't last two weeks before Sony pulled the plug. Even Babylon's Fall lasted longer and had a higher player count on Steam. Suicide Squad had something like 12x the number of peak players on Steam and is still being updated. Concord is one of the biggest flops of all time. There's no way to spin this. It might be the costliest video game project ever.

He is the definition of

5feab358ec90530a4c2434fa2365107ec1c4cb4f

He'll fucking die on the smallest hills to protect Sony. Concord of all the hills…
Suicide Squad peaked at ~13,000 concurrent users on Steam. Concord peaked at less than 700. Yes it did.

And say what you will about SS, you can still buy a copy, and go online, and play with the 99 other people playing it on Steam (a number that Concord dipped below over a long holiday weekend).

Voila

It didn’t shut down and get into refund mode 2 weeks in

I don’t understand trying to find worse than concord.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
What does Firewalk studios fall back on? I think at best this studio gets folded into other ones. At very best.
If they really want to try and recoup some money for the company they fucked over, put together a nice PPV live stream of the HR office door on Friday. If they could get it on Steam I think it would be their highest player count yet.

Eliciel

actually an astonishingly fast and strong move, I am a bit surprised by it to be very honest. One must ask himself, if they can be so decisive in such cases, what is really going on behind curtains on showing new games, new console, new path and strategy. Do they even have one at this point? We will find out 2025.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
They are dangling the option of going free-to-play to soften the blow, but i don't think it will. I don't think ultra slim chance of success will be worth the embarrassment to Sony from the game bombing a 2nd time.
No chance Sony dumps MORE money into this game. Going F2P requires a ton of retooling. Ain't gonna happen. Sony is going to bury this and hope everyone forgets about it.

Last edited:

DonF

from purple town

2kpSjfm.jpeg

HKRibxq.jpeg

great designs bro
bruh the old lady is just Ana from overwatch and bazz, god damn, thats has to be the ugliest design ive ever seen. Not only that, it doesnt make sense as the character is supposed to be a silent assassin... who also has to reload knives! It doesnt make sense in universe to have HUGE PURPLE HAIR and HUGE PADDED SHOULDER PADS in a RED FUCKING COAT with the most horrible pair of Air Jordans!!

sachos

I cant stop thinking about the 8 years dev time. The industry has to chill the fuck out with that. So much time wasted... Full Arkham Trilogy was less than that. FromSoft made DS1,2,3 and BB in 7 years...

Yoboman

Yeah, i have seen the rejection of this stuff in younger people first hand. It makes sense too since this started as a way of rebelling against "the man". The people screeching online still LARP as rebels, but they became "the man" years ago.
Same

This is the perception and also why right wing types like Andrew Tate pop off among teenage boys. They are seen as counter culture, and counter culture has always been cool

Woke shit is not counter culture now. Maybe in 2010 it still was. LGBTQ flags are now Coke can designs and pride month PFPs for every corporation out there. Woke communities are not scrappy activists, they are entrenched professionals telling kids how to behave

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This shit was worthless even with the servers online.
My point is even if SP game is niche or didn’t do well you can still play it but online only games highly depends on other people, if there are not many people playing the game or server gets shutdown you litatraly can’t play the game you payed for…..they are worthless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom