• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Seems like they want this to get memory holed.

Wonder what will happen to it's episode on that Prime Video series about videogames.

Killjoy-NL

I think you are talking about Stig Amussens project

Cory came back for the GOW reboot, he was working on that separate to the rest of the studio working on Stigs doomed project
Yeah, you might be right. Was just going by memory.

But the main point was that Sony doesn't only fund guaranteed hits.
Even Japan Studio was testament to that.
Concord falls in line with Sony being willing to take risks.

This one was just a very bad one, but thats business.

Ogbert

Gold Member
Honest question... is it really better to close the game than refund it and give it with PS+ the rest of the month before even thinking of trying the f2p route?
They don’t want to be associated with it. It’s an embarrassment. It’s damaging Sony’s brand and reputation.

There are 60 people playing it at the moment. I’ve been in fast food queues with more people.

Nydius

Honest question... is it really better to close the game than refund it and give it with PS+ the rest of the month before even thinking of trying the f2p route?

Keeping the game up and doing a quick pivot to F2P would mean they’d need to hurriedly create a MTX shop, with plenty of content to sell (because keeping the lights on isn’t cheap), and they’d also have to move forward with their promise of weekly, high quality story cinematics (also not cheap).

With zero guarantees they’d attract any bigger audience, especially given that public sentiment has turned very sour.

So I’d argue that, yes, the refunds are the much safer route, financially.

CbraarR.jpeg
Yep, it's gone from Steam as well. I actually considered giving it a shot since I'd get a refund anyway but it was deleted faster than I could add to cart lol

Bojji

All I’m saying is it’s objectively not the biggest flop of all time

Not even close

A $100M game has much lower expectations than a $300M+ game

This is obvious

Suicide squad recovered sizable portion of it's budget with sales.

Concord generated less than 1m dollars in sales...

And now all that will be returned to customers so minuses only adds up. This is one of the biggest flops of all times for sure.

Yoboman

Yeah, you might be right. Was just going by memory.

But the main point was that Sony doesn't only fund guaranteed hits.
Even Japan Studio was testament to that.
Concord falls in line with Sony being willing to take risks.

This one was just a very bad one, but thats business.
Thing is Sony has generally been good at pulling the plug on projects that weren't going to work out for the past ten years

How Concord got all the way to release is baffling

Zacfoldor

My opinion doesn’t matter. Nobody’s does.

The simple fact of the matter is the game is a flaming dumpster fire of total horseshit.

This is evident as Sony would rather pull the plug and make it go away than have this IP damage its entire brand. The irony… the same ideology (DEI) that calls everything else toxic, helped something become one of the most toxic IPs in gaming history.
Been posting a lot in this thread so this will be my last one for a bit.

Allow me to go all Carl Jung on this. All Persona 5.

Our individual opinions don't matter.

However, our shared consciousness creates a zeitgeist.

In the real Mementos for gamers you are gonna have a tough time telling me that "the Concord devil" isn't a boss in there somewhere, lol.

Topher

Gold Member
Because of this.

i-worry-people-are-misunderstanding-sonys-plan-for-future-v0-i921qt30aacb1.jpg

This game along with a dozen others came at the expense of the single player narrative driven games playstation fans love to play. 60% of their budget this year is wasted on these games. At a time where costs have risen exponentially, they have cut down investment in single player games, shut down studios, laid off almost a thousand people from talented studios like ND, GG and Insomniac, all to invest in trash like this.

Maybe you are not a fan of playstation. But people who are fans should look at how they cut down the sp investment by FY23 and then only brought it up to FY19 pre pandemic levels when they shouldve been increasing the budgets to keep up with rising costs of next gen game development. Concord survived while other studios got shut down or gutted by herman cunt and his band of morons.

That is why people care.

Time to reallocate 2025.

Sony didn't believe in this and failed to support it? Really now? The same company that bought them and threw money on developing the game?

I am relieved Sony pulled the plug. Now they have to return to single player cinematic games that put them on the throne they are sitting on

Its a fucking IGN employee spewing this obvious BS. I wouldn't pay any attention to that site or anyone working for them.

You can pretty much guarantee they're going to draft up an article with the same headlines just for the clicks.

TrebleShot

The statement pisses me off.

It lacks accountability and comes across like they actually have something cool to say but didn't execute it.

No mate the entire thing is rotten you don't get record low numbers for nothing.

CLW

So expectations are something we can't measure which fits some people's narratives

Personally time and money spent on this and being a Sony 1st party title that Sony bought this studio because they showed them this game is in fact measurable

It’s a HUGE flop but nowhere close to ET which caused the video game market to practically collapse

Roberts

he greenlit Ninja Theory's Bleeding Edge which had an all time peak of 1,464 on steam.
He didn't greenlit it. It was a small side project at Ninja Theory that came out pretty soon after MS acquired them. It was popular on xbox for a while but its downfall was that there wasn't a lot of content - I played it for a week, had tons of fun, got all the achievements and left.

Killjoy-NL

Thing is Sony has generally been good at pulling the plug on projects that weren't going to work out for the past ten years

How Concord got all the way to release is baffling
For sure.

Contrary to popular believe, I wouldnt have funded the game to begin with and going by general consensus, nobody would.

Curious to know why Sony decided to go ahead with this.
Maybe they thought they had invested too much already and were trying to minimize losses by recouping some money?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Sony absolutely made the right call. This was a mercy killing and they are refunding everyone. You simply can’t force people to give a shit about your GaaS slop. Biggest mistake Sony made was not delaying this and quietly canceling it after there were tumbleweeds blowing through their beta. Ubisoft has done this with several flopped GaaS attempts.

Six months?

Bruh they didn't even give it six weeks.

Even I didn't expect this.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

Gotta admit, takes balls from Sony to put the dog out behind the barn as little Timmy (Firewalk) & Cletus (Bungie) are watching from the window.

No.

Getting your game cancelled and removed from the market is by far and away the biggest failure.

No, it just means one company had the balls to kill it sooner than the other

Neither of these games should have come to market, rocksteady is fucked now

Last edited:

The_hunter

PS plus games get a surge of players at first, but they quickly leave. For example, Deeprock galactic had 10million ps plus downloads, now it has around 300 daily players (on Playstation).

Last edited:

Fbh

This should have figured out years ago that this wasn't going to hit and cut the losses much earlier.

That's the funny part.
Not only did Sony not figure out this wasn't going to hit, but they thought it was going to hit so much they went ahead and bought the studio in mid development.

tkscz

NES World Championship was the best selling Switch game of July and it was only out for two weeks, not sure why he put that on there.

Also whats with these people on twitter and claiming it didn't have a chance. They had a two week beta and people said it wasn't good from that. And instead of postponing the game and fixing it, something they had plenty of time to do before releasing the beta, they did next to nothing and let the game release in a poor state.

Get out of here with that fix it later excuse.

Top Bottom