• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

ManaByte

is-it-morbin-time-v0-kkum5h0a9nmd1.jpeg

Suicide Squad peaked at ~13,000 concurrent users on Steam. Concord peaked at less than 700. Yes it did.

And say what you will about SS, you can still buy a copy, and go online, and play with the 99 other people playing it on Steam (a number that Concord dipped below over a long holiday weekend).

That’s effectively zero dude, it lost hundreds of millions more

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
from purple town

2kpSjfm.jpeg

HKRibxq.jpeg

great designs bro
Extremely lame designs all around, completely lacking in talent and inspiration.

Know what's cool, yet completely fabulous? Jojo's Bizarre Adventure characters. Universally popular with both straight and gay people.

JBg2YhS.jpeg

gV7x43t.jpeg

Because it has creativity and edge to it. It's stylishly sexy. And the characters are cool, evoking masculinity and femininity and '80s glam rock. It's willing to risk offending you or turning you away, and hasn't been designed by committee.

Just make something interesting.

The crowd that made Concord can't do it. They're from a generation of sensitivity training and declaring pronouns so as not to accidentally offend, of shying away from any kind of sexualization, of participation trophies instead of competence trophies, and of putting your medical conditions in your Twitter bio for victimhood points.

Well, congrats. You participated, all right.

StueyDuck

i feel like we are gonna soon need a thread just to document the journo meltdown, we all know it's coming.

Fatty booboo at IGN and Gamespot with purple hair is slamming those keyboards this second to get out articles to blame "fans"

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Extremely lame designs all around, completely lacking in talent and inspiration.

Know what's cool, yet completely fabulous? Jojo's Bizarre Adventure characters. Universally popular with both straight and gay people.

JBg2YhS.jpeg

gV7x43t.jpeg

Because it has creativity and edge to it. It's stylishly sexy. And the characters are cool, evoking masculinity and femininity and '80s glam rock. It's willing to risk offending you or turning you away, and hasn't been designed by committee.

The crowd that made Concord can't do it. They're from a generation of sensitivity training and declaring pronouns so as not to accidentally offend, of shying away from any kind of sexualization, of participation trophies instead of competence trophies, and of putting your medical conditions in your Twitter bio for victimhood points.

You’re right

Adventure Cherries GIF

It would be hilarious to have heros like this

Last edited:
This game has evolved to its final form; i.e. the complete pariah of gaming.

The person at Sony who saw this in development and thought, "yo guys! We gotta buy up this dev!" must be shitting himself right now.

Not only is Firewalk about to get merc'd, but also the fucking goon who bought up the studio for this shitshow.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That the new hipster shrek game coming out next week:

Concord: HR Scramble Edition

Synopsis: Two department teams must battle their way to capture point HR. The payroll manager there only has enough money to pay one team. Defeat the opposing department and you must negotiate with Payroll Petra for 30 seconds. If you succeed, you must escape to P (parking lot) and drive away.

If the opposing team intercepts you, both teams must run back to Petra and get another signed off pay cheque and safely make their way to their cars for a getaway.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
When those powerpoint slides were done, was Concord part of the GAAS tally they were promoting? If it was, you can cancel another one from the 12.
Yes, this is back in 2022 or 2023 and they had already signed concord plus fair games and that other Deviation (ex-treyarch) game they cancelled.

1. Concord (DoA)
2. FairGames
3. Deviation GaaS game (Cancelled)
4. Factions (Cancelled)

5. Marathon (Could be cancelled, focus testers refuse to play the game)
6. Helldivers (Big Success)
7. Sony London's MP game (Studio shutdown)
8. Horizon MP (leaked screenshots below) - Think this gets cancelled after Concord's flop since it has the same artstyle and diversity
9. Spiderman Great Web (Cancelled according to Insomniac leaks)
10. Sony Bend's new game
11. FireSprite's Twisted Metal GaaS game (Cancelled)
12. ??? I dont know what this last game could be. maybe they were counting Destiny 2??

9JdBdRx.png

vk2BDbv.png

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Yes, this is back in 2022 or 2023 and they had already signed concord plus fair games and that other Deviation (ex-treyarch) game they cancelled.

1. Concord (DoA)
2. FairGames
4. Factions (Cancelled)

8. Horizon MP (leaked screenshots below) - Think this gets cancelled after Concord's flop since it has the same artstyle and diversity
10. Sony Bend's new game
12. ??? I dont know what this last game could be. maybe they were counting Destiny 2??

9JdBdRx.png

vk2BDbv.png
Where are those shots from?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

1. Concord (DoA)
2. FairGames
4. Factions (Cancelled)

10. Sony Bend's new game

9JdBdRx.png

vk2BDbv.png
Going by that, the exec (I forget if it was Jim Ryan or another guy) is right. All it takes is one big one (in this case H2) to cover the rest. However, going by the trend I dont think even H2 at 12M copies will cover the rest of the list if all the rest bomb.

So far your list has one success (H2) and 6 bombs/cancels.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
What an absolute clusterfuck of a game and colossal, *rare* failure for PlayStation. Should be taken as a wake-up call, focus on what brought you here, killer, generation-defining, SINGLE PLAYER titles. Be happy something like Helldivers 2 struck gold in your grand GaaS experiment and understand it's the exception rather than the rule. These are lifestyle games, player time is limited, there are only so many pieces in the pie.

near

Gold Member
That guy is most likely Hermann Hulst
“We’re thrilled to expand upon our collaborative relationship with Firewalk Studios and formally welcome the team to PlayStation Studios,” said Hermen Hulst, Head of PlayStation Studios. “We’ve had the privilege of working with ProbablyMonsters and Firewalk for several years and our teams share the same ambition to create meaningful experiences for gamers. Firewalk’s innovative approach to connected storytelling and its commitment to high-quality gameplay continues to exceed our expectations. I think fans will be very pleased when they see what Firewalk has in store for them.

giphy.webp

King Dazzar

I know it may sound weird. But I'm genuinely intrigued as to how this failed so badly in terms of nobody playing it at all. There's an awful lot of games that leave me cold that are played by millions and sell really well that I scratch my head over. I'm talking about the games that no-one bothers reading reviews for. The average gamer Joe. I wonder what does or doesn't influence them. Was X/media, was it rubbish marketing, did they cringe at the characters like we all did.

Yoboman

JBg2YhS.jpeg

gV7x43t.jpeg

Gaming doesn't even get cool, fashionable gays and trans. It gets fat losers who decide to transition at 32 and forget to take their hormone pills every second day and still have five o'clock shadows

I would bet these types get rejected just as much in LGBT circles and are bitter about it.

Ogbert

Gold Member
I really do hope this is a watershed moment for games.

You only hope that it sends shockwaves through the industry and the executives that sign off on funding. The next time some purple haired diabetic girl boss waddles into their office and asks to make a sassy, gender atypical hero shooter, they politely get told to fuck off.

This isn’t hard.

Helldivers 2 = heroes shooting aliens. Collosal hit.

Concord = woke dogshit. Commercial AIDS.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I know it may sound weird. But I'm genuinely intrigued as to how this failed so badly in terms of nobody playing it at all. There's an awful lot of games that leave me cold that are played by millions and sell really well that I scratch my head over. I'm talking about the games that no-one bothers reading reviews for. The average gamer Joe. I wonder what does or doesn't influence them. Was X/media, was it rubbish marketing, did they cringe at the characters like we all did.
I think that no matter how big of a marketing push you have (this has been plastered all over the PlayStation blog and has had top spots in the PlayStation store for weeks), people instinctively knew that the game wouldn't be fun just based on the terrible character designs. There is no other way to feasibly explain it, considering people are typically sheep and will buy/play whatever is put in front of them the most.

Jesus Christ, that is wild. You know what, props to them for refunding the bag in these circumstances instead of just letting it asphyxiate out out existence and running away with the little they got 💰

Fabieter

“We’re thrilled to expand upon our collaborative relationship with Firewalk Studios and formally welcome the team to PlayStation Studios,” said Hermen Hulst, Head of PlayStation Studios. “We’ve had the privilege of working with ProbablyMonsters and Firewalk for several years and our teams share the same ambition to create meaningful experiences for gamers. Firewalk’s innovative approach to connected storytelling and its commitment to high-quality gameplay continues to exceed our expectations. I think fans will be very pleased when they see what Firewalk has in store for them.

giphy.webp

I fear for the future under him if he thinks that's what fans want. Or did he meant the 30 fans playing it on steam.

The Sony post says to take it back to the retailer per the retailer’s return policy so probably not. Most retailers are very strict about no refunds on open software. I suppose one could take in the shutdown notice and argue it, but I know most chains won’t budge on their “no refunds if the wrapper is broken” policy.

That’s here in the States though. It may be different in the UK and EU.

I realize it's probably a very small pool of people who went to a store and bought a physical copy of Concord, but man those few people really got screwed here.

And they've got another slap in the face coming in a couple months when it comes back as F2P.

I guess the lesson is don't buy any of these GaaS games at retail?

Kindjal

My point is even if SP game is niche or didn’t do well you can still play it but online only games highly depends on other people, if there are not many people playing the game or server gets shutdown you litatraly can’t play the game payed for…..they are worthless.
Yeah, I get you. I was just taking what you said even further, lol.

Complistic

No it is impressive it managed to connect with virtually no one. It's fascinating.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The Sony post says to take it back to the retailer per the retailer’s return policy so probably not. Most retailers are very strict about no refunds on open software. I suppose one could take in the shutdown notice and argue it, but I know most chains won’t budge on their “no refunds if the wrapper is broken” policy.

That’s here in the States though. It may be different in the UK and EU.
Hahah. In other words, most stores will say no. Gamer will be stuck with it.

That's why I was one of the gamers who didnt think theyd do a refund.

It's easy to refund digital gamers. It's an administrative pain in the ass to recall a product (been through it many times and when it involves health and safety products it's much worse because the government can get involved). But end of the day it all shakes out.

My worry was how are they going to comp disc gamers. Looks like Sony is letting gamers duke it out with store managers. Good luck gamers. You are left holding the bag unless the store's customer service counter gives you a break on an opened media box.

When there's a recall on non-gaming stuff, the manufacturer plays good guy and allows refunds even if beyond store policy (time limit). They work with the store and all return of product and the supplier comps them back so the store can comp the customer. That's why when you see a recall on stuff, you can refund it even if it's 6 months old. Going further, most recalls technically involve certain batch codes (like contaminated products), but still nobody wants to waste time or play traffic cop checking to see if that branded bag of frozen peas with ecoli is the correct batch code with germs. They'll just take back any bag and the store gets comped back, and the customer too. With media, looks like sony wants to stick with standard media refund policies at store level and not give a break to people who have it. Thats Sony for ya. Out of Nintendo, MS, Steam, Sony, it always seems in gaming threads Sony always has the worst customer service.

The amount of disc sales gamers could refund is worth hardly anything to begin with. Youre talking $40 per disc. yet Sony playing hardball. lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom