• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord is being taken offline on September 6, purchases refunded

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The way the industry reads to me, employment is like a revolving door for a dev, so 8 years of relatively solid employment is a pretty good run. I imagine most devs worked hard but I wonder at a high level how much this project was being milked. Seeing as entire studios are being shut down for shit to mid tier games, I wouldn't be surprised if leadership at Firewalk saw the writing on the wall a long time ago and stretched out development for this game for as long as possible to prolong the inevitable for everyone involved.
Personally, I dont think half the employees really care that much about making a game for company XYZ. They got the skills to do their part, make good money and then move on to the next project. Only some people are FT workers from beginning to end. By the time any game launches, a bunch of them have already moved on to another company or contract gig. So whether the game does great or sinks, they probably dont really care. They did their job and got paid and already working on a different game somewhere else.

Last edited:

CLW

Forever
Lady Gaga Snl GIF
the sandlot GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Things would have been different if people just saw the PS5 Pro mode of Conconrd. Come to think of it, I wonder how much Concord x PS5 Pro marketing they had to recycling bin at the last minute? Surely it was in all the sizzle reels.
Asmongold in his videos swears by (he mentioned it a few times) that the Ps5 Pro presentation had Concord in it, but they yanked it because it was shut down. Thats why the video was so short.

NickFire

Things would have been different if people just saw the PS5 Pro mode of Conconrd. Come to think of it, I wonder how much Concord x PS5 Pro marketing they had to recycling bin at the last minute? Surely it was in all the sizzle reels.
I’m telling myself that they really thought Wolverine was coming this holiday season until sometime very recently. I can’t accept they were expecting to sell 700 (for digital only) consoles via the game they cancelled post release.

I’m telling myself that they really thought Wolverine was coming this holiday season until sometime very recently. I can’t accept they were expecting to sell 700 (for digital only) consoles via the game they cancelled post release.
the road map was leaked... there is a supposed Venom stand alone expansion before wolverine.

Rambone

Personally, I dont think half the employees really care that much about making a game for company XYZ. They got the skills to do their part, make good money and then move on to the next project. Only some people are FT workers from beginning to end. By the time any game launches, a bunch of them have already moved on to another company or contract gig. So whether the game does great or sinks, they probably dont really care. They did their job and got paid and already working on a different game somewhere else.
Yea, you're probably right. It's probably the same at most places where you got maybe a handful that are passionate about what they work on and a good majority who are just there for a paycheck and do what needs to get done and don't care what the end results are so long as they get paid.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's a close release of a first party exclusive. I'm sure they did a lot of Pro stuff in terms of optimization and marketing.
the road map was leaked... there is a supposed Venom stand alone expansion before wolverine.
I’m too lazy to find those leaked roadmaps, but if concord did well, Wolverine, and venom content were all guns a blazing right now it’d probably make sense to do Pro now. It would had all come together better and cerny would had plugged PS5 vs Pro shots of these new games. It’d be a good showcase as one part Pro and one part new games to go with it.

But the content part fizzled out and they needed to get out pro now. So it seems logical why the show was meh content wise.

Three

It's a close release of a first party exclusive. I'm sure they did a lot of Pro stuff in terms of optimization and marketing.
Why do you think that when Astrobot was a closer release and a more longterm studio and yet there wasn't any marketing or optimisation for the Pro with Astrobot.

Last edited:
Why do you think that when Astrobot was a closer release and a more longterm studio and yet there wasn't any marketing or optimisation for the Pro with Astrobot.
Didn't DF say PS5 performance for Astrobot was 'Flawless' as it is? Might be difficult to demonstrate an upgrade if there is't much to improve on in the first place.

Three

Didn't DF say PS5 performance for Astrobot was 'Flawless' as it is? Might be difficult to demonstrate an upgrade if there is't much to improve on in the first place.

It was locked 60fps with dynamic resolution scaling 1440p to 4k but this doesn't mean it can't have an unlocked 120hz high framerate mode with VRR or show the improved resolution where it would have normally dropped to 1440p.

Shubh_C63

Seeing as entire studios are being shut down for shit to mid tier games, I wouldn't be surprised if leadership at Firewalk saw the writing on the wall a long time ago and stretched out development for this game for as long as possible to prolong the inevitable for everyone involved.
You're giving too much credit to leadership at Firewalk. No way they saw shit, not until open beta.

Majukun

while some of this is true, the nomadic developer life is not for everyone,I know for sure that many devs would be very glad to settle on a team instead of jump from project to project

regarding caring or not..it's still something they put hours and hours and more hours of work in, it still bites if it crashes and burns, even if you got paid

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Asmongold in his videos swears by (he mentioned it a few times) that the Ps5 Pro presentation had Concord in it, but they yanked it because it was shut down. Thats why the video was so short.
Man, wouldn’t it be something if Concord spoiled their PS5 Pro reveal? It’s the gift that keeps on giving.

BTW the petition has surpassed 2500 signatures. I’m proud of the fans making their voices heard.

zokie

this seriously made my day as i was laughing away , thank you Asmongold and Jazzarus :messenger_beaming:
Moving on , this will be my last post on this topic

Top Bottom