• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster will not award “Erotica” points for taking cleavage and crotch photos like original

Draugoth

Gold Member
Journos are mocking anyone who dislikes Dead Rising censorship, calling them terminally online and praising that censorship. This is an +18 game, and they replaced the original VA to appeal to the modern audience. They also praised BG3 scenes

journos-are-mocking-anyone-who-dislikes-dead-rising-v0-thxx2ev77vhd1.jpeg

SkylineRKR

I am replaying DR1 right now and the Erotica thing is very minor, but it does suit Frank's character. I don't know, he just comes off as a sleazy douchebag. He isn't really likeable and making such dirty shots does fit him. But I feel more things are going to be censored. Such as the 69 kill by female zombies, Jessie's cleavage, perhaps some psychopaths and other details. DR was also quite a dirty game and this was part of its charm.

Some people can’t seem to distinguish reality from video games and get offended, so they in turn white knight to look cool and progressive.
But there is nothing progressive about being a moralist puritan wanting to enforce their ideals of decency upon others. I believe the ole opposite side has that schtick covered.

This is why as a liberal of a previous time I just look at the new crop of progressive as sus as fuck. Authoritarian busy bodies that would have gotten along with previous incarnations of the religious right and their views on gaming if they only agreed on certain other issues. Same tactics. Same vibe. I have said it before.... I don't know what these mother fuckers are.

The erotica points were dumb. Full stop. They aren't offensive nor problematic or whatever the fuck these words mean now. The fact the devs felt it was a point to address cause of this puritan mindset in the industry now is the discouraging part. The fact that there are people willing to jump to defend selective outrage is the problem. The fact there is people who are gleefully onboard the constant march of censorship is the issue. The lack of erotica points specifically is not the issue for me.

Last edited:

Impotaku

It was crass humour at best but hardly something so offensive that it needed to be addressed and stripped out it was the same stupid shit as you been able to humiliate zombies by throwing pies at them and taking pics for the comedy tag. Where is this DEI shit going to stop? What else will be stripped out to appease the eternally offended? will the psycopaths be changed too? Can't have any looking like rednecks as thats a harmful stereotype, same with fatties too, oh no hope there's nobody in there with none white skin can't have them been the bad guys.

Whats next, frank isn't allowed to take a pic of a female zombie unless he asks for consent first. In fact go further he isn't allowed to attack any female zombies at all as thats perpetrating violence against women.

It starts off as small stuff and nobody pushes back, then they get bolder and totally change larger parts of games to appease the weak minded. Hate censorship in games it protects nobody.

Toons

its a video game its no real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This argument can be used for so many things gamers complain about today, that are viewed of indicative of real life problems in their entertainment and their community that I cannot believe you used it.

Also, the comment i was responding to was pretty literslly insinuating that you must be a real life pedo if youdont like this. Thats... also something addressed by your response.

Last edited:
Jesus some right neck beard responses in here, they removed a small insignificant section that simply doesn't gel with modern society and people are going nuts!?! Jesus, the era of Lads Lads Lads is over, it was fun at the time but we've moved on, it's now fucking cringe
Modern society now is many women leaving all kinds of professions or forgoing schooling altogether so they can make a living selling nude selfies on OF. I'd say it gels better now than it did back in 2006.

Dean Winchester Facepalm GIF

These people are like children. It's a game where we can mutilate zombies. Rip out their intestines, explode their heads, shoot guns, use chainsaws. There's humans you can murder in the game but oh no, taking pictures of cleavage, the horror. Fuckin' Jesus Christ, grow up you actual sad bastards.

I mean, fuck, we live in a world where social media is just spammed with girls taking selfies of their cleavage. Like, what?

Last edited:

TastyPastry

Everything after the first one was mediocre or crap so not a big loss

true but those were all developed by a canadian studio, this is the only chance to prove to capcom we want another DR but developed in house. i think the removal of the erotica pics sucks but i'm still getting the remake.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Journos are mocking anyone who dislikes Dead Rising censorship, calling them terminally online and praising that censorship. This is an +18 game, and they replaced the original VA to appeal to the modern audience. They also praised BG3 scenes

journos-are-mocking-anyone-who-dislikes-dead-rising-v0-thxx2ev77vhd1.jpeg

You don't take erotic pictures of the bear tho :messenger_grinning_sweat:

rkofan87

Gold Member
But there is nothing progressive about being a moralist puritan wanting to enforce their ideals of decency upon others. I believe the ole opposite side has that schtick covered.

This is why as a liberal of a previous time I just look at the new crop of progressive as sus as fuck. Authoritarian busy bodies that would have gotten along with previous incarnations of the religious right and their views on gaming if they only agreed on certain other issues. Same tactics. Same vibe. I have said it before.... I don't know what these mother fuckers are.

The erotica points were dumb. Full stop. They aren't offensive nor problematic or whatever the fuck these words mean now. The fact the devs felt it was a point to address cause of this puritan mindset in the industry now is the discouraging part. The fact that there are people willing to jump to defend selective outrage is the problem. The fact there is people who are gleefully onboard the constant march of censorship is the issue. The lack of erotica points specifically is not the issue for me.
right on.

rkofan87

Gold Member
It was crass humour at best but hardly something so offensive that it needed to be addressed and stripped out it was the same stupid shit as you been able to humiliate zombies by throwing pies at them and taking pics for the comedy tag. Where is this DEI shit going to stop? What else will be stripped out to appease the eternally offended? will the psycopaths be changed too? Can't have any looking like rednecks as thats a harmful stereotype, same with fatties too, oh no hope there's nobody in there with none white skin can't have them been the bad guys.

Whats next, frank isn't allowed to take a pic of a female zombie unless he asks for consent first. In fact go further he isn't allowed to attack any female zombies at all as thats perpetrating violence against women.

It starts off as small stuff and nobody pushes back, then they get bolder and totally change larger parts of games to appease the weak minded. Hate censorship in games it protects nobody.
they changed the asian psychopath cook to a white guy

Three

Agreed. I don't know why some people wanna have a meltdown over any little thing. Other things I might agree with them but on this no.
It's a game with game characters and it was a gameplay mechanic. Murdering countless people in a game is also not something you should do in real life but you've likely maimed them with a grenade playing CoD or Battlefield. Taking photos in a game though that's "literally killing men/women" I'm sure.

It's a game with game characters and it was a gameplay mechanic. Murdering countless people in a game is also not something you should do in real life but you've likely maimed them with a grenade playing CoD or Battlefield. Taking photos in a game though that's "literally killing men/women" I'm sure.
This is the Clown World we are living in my friend. Blowing up people with grenades in a game is normal but taking photos of women is literally the most heinous crime ever.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Agreed. I don't know why some people wanna have a meltdown over any little thing. Other things I might agree with them but on this no.

Photography as a whole is an optional to complete the game (achievement hunting is a different matter). Erotica is a small subset of that optional activity but there is a side mission in the game in that an NPC requests an erotic photo of a certain PP score, but again, it's not something that is forced on the player. Someone who enjoys the photography element of this game might be disappointed as that system is being watered down. Since that side quest will need to be altered, characterization of that quest giver (a creep) and Frank's willingness to complete the quest or not also loses some framing of who he is based on what he is willing to do. I can understand someone finding this system creepy and not wanting to engage, but when you look at "perfect" erotic photos from the original, they are hardly overt.

juliedr.png

Further, creeps and creepiness exist in reality and not depicting unsavory facets of life would lead to really boring entertainment across most mediums.

Last edited:

Toons

The outrage about these points not being in the game is just as selective. Especially when the counter argument is "some girls do only fans so this should be ok!!"

I could write a book on how dumb an argument that is, but I digress. The implication here that this is a result of "puritanism " is yet another instance of us treating old stuff as sacred just for the sake of being old. Not everything that was done before was good just because it was done before, and devs should have everh right to adjust their vision and presentation for the game.

You are actually arguing against their own free expression by hitching them to this vestige of the past, not for it.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
For the "but why is violence ok, but not this?" Crew. If you think about the game, you must engage in violence in response to being in peril.

I suppose you could make a game where you must do creepy unpleasant things or a mastermind pulling the strings will deliver some consequences that your character wouldn't be able to overcome.

Here though, the developers originally put something in which is deemed far too cringe-y for 2024, I'd argue it was too cringe-y for the original release, but nonetheless there's no good reason for the character to do it.

So, cutting it is the right thing to do.

Last edited:

peek

Ive changed my mind.

I am now thankful for the devs of this remaster for taking away such an outright OFFENSIVE and blood-boiling slap in the face to all my sensibilities feature that my other fellow puritans hated. More clothes, less skin.

habibihijababy

Neo Member
yawn. Another unnecessary remaster unnecessarily cutting content.

So what if women are over sexualized?Sexualize the men too! I actually loved DR2& 3 for the “banana hammock” outfit.

Gonzito

yawn. Another unnecessary remaster unnecessarily cutting content.

So what if women are over sexualized?Sexualize the men too! I actually loved DR2& 3 for the “banana hammock” outfit.

The irony is that men are sexualized in the game. You can dress Frank West in extremely provocative ways, hell he can even just run around in underwear. Its so fucking stupid that they removed this only for women, what a stupid world we live in

NT80

I'm saying I don't understand the overblown meltdown for taking this out not that they really needed to. Your murdering zombies and psychos here and your not usually rewarded for killing non threatening people in other games anyway and that's all that seems to be taken out not the ability to do it.

KaiserBecks

Genuine question. Help me out here. Isn’t the fact that you can buy the PS4 version right now for $10 already making this easy to skip?

Much better graphics, updated controls and survivor AI are the reasons I’m looking forward to DRDR. That being said, people who haven’t even played the last gen remaster should really stfu. This outrage by people who have no interest in the ip is ridiculous.

laynelane

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I am perfectly okay with some things not being in video games.

Being a creepy perv is one of them.

"It's just a video game!"
My dude, wanting to be a creepy perv in video games still doesn't exactly reflect positively upon you.
It's a wee bit above doing eg. an evil playthrough in a game like BG3.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
That doesn't make any sense,any form of media that's new to you was already created with a certain message. The fact there is/was a creep element to Dead Raising means the creator thought a certain segment of their consumers have a aborrent behavior.
Mauling Zombies to death is okay, panty shots are the problem.

I would say the excessive portrayal of violence is a bigger display of abhorrent behavior. But it’s a game. So booth can co exist in a virtual world.

"Since their inception in the 1970s, video games have often been criticized by some for violent content. Politicians, parents, and other activists have claimed that violence in video games can be tied to violent behavior, particularly in children, and have sought ways to regulate the sale of video games."

^I guess they were right! As for sensual content, I definitely haven't heard of someone going out there trying to "me love you long time" some random females because they got a face full of Kasumi's nubile crotch as a climax finisher during a match of Dead or Alive. Nope, never happened, and that's because the overwhelming majority of otaku and actual weeaboos prefer pixel and polygons over the genuine article.

Top Bottom