• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Review Thread

If your argument is to make the experience as palatable to the widest range of people as possible you would be absolutely right. To me it sounds like my own personal hell of turning every piece of art into designed by commitee fluff.
That is not what he is saying. He is saying Kojima is surrounded by yes men

Dane

the with inferior gameplay but getting good scores because of the director name
1572665961581.png

There are lots of example of that in the meta page, as some people said, if it didn't have a acclaimed developer/label behind, it would receive lower scores.

Wink

That is not what he is saying. He is saying Kojima is surrounded by yes men
He's a control freak, clearly, but if you have a problem with that is entirely up to how much you like his games. Some would say they would definitely be better with pushback, but there's no way to be sure of that after the fact. The only thing we have to go on is Konami pusing MGSV out the door and it certainly wasn't better for it.

He's a control freak, clearly, but if you have a problem with that is entirely up to how much you like his games. Some would say they would definitely be better with pushback, but there's no way to be sure of that after the fact. The only thing we have to go on is Konami pusing MGSV out the door and it certainly wasn't better for it.
I thought most fans liked that game? It wasn’t my cup of tea tbh

Ivellios

I read/watched some reviews about it and im think im gonna give it a shot and buy it day one, which is something i rarely do, if only for the story alone and to support Kojima.

But that being said there are some things that kinda makes me fear if im gonna really enjoy the gameplay. For one thing i dont like heavy inventory management and crafting, which seems this game has lots of. Another thing is the exploration. While i like to explore games like Witcher, Zelda BoTW etc, i do it because you can always find something new, like a new sidequest, a new village, a new shrine etc.

Death Stranding world seems so very empty outside players constructions. The lack of combat in general in the game is also something im worried about.

Reactions: Isa

Wink

I thought most fans liked that game? It wasn’t my cup of tea tbh
For an unfinished game it's pretty incredible. But you gotta be the type of person who can't stop themselves from playing around with systems for it to be fun. Anyone who wants a straightforward experience is fucked. DS is gonna be the same.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

ethomaz

Banned
For an unfinished game it's pretty incredible. But you gotta be the type of person who can't stop themselves from playing around with systems for it to be fun. Anyone who wants a straightforward experience is fucked. DS is gonna be the same.
Maybe that was a the big X here.

Gamers today are used to straight forward games with easy mechanics that you rush to finish it.

I'm from SNES era and these games that have different mechanics with things you need to think a lot to find a solution is my cup of tea.

I'm interested in Dead Stranding after the reviews like no other game in years. In fact it seems like now GOTY content because I feel like I will love the mechanics.

Last edited:

Wink

Maybe that was a the big X here.

Gamers today are used to straight forward games with easy mechanics that you rush to finish it.

I'm from SNES era and these games that have different mechanics with things you need to think a lot to find a solution is my cup of tea.

I'm interested in Dead Stranding after the reviews like no other game in years. In fact it seems like now GOTY content because I feel like I will love the mechanics.
I always liked Metal Gear Solid of course. The movie that was four (I almost remember none of the gameplay) I still loved it. But I gained a completely new appreciation for the man when I found out that MGSV would be more at home gameplay wise next to Operation Flashpoint than Metal Gear. After hearing some discussions from people who liked it, not just reviews, I have no doubt that DS will be GOTY for almost everyone who "gets it" (and I'm not accusing anyone of anything if they don't, that'll just be up to personality and preference).

Hissing Sid

Entertaining thread.

I really don’t think this game is for me but I’m really glad that it’s been made and hopefully a lot of people will enjoy playing it.

I think it’s really important these days that the medium has breadth and depth. Not everything needs to be stronguglywomanwithshorthairandgunzsimulator#345732.

ethomaz

Banned
You @#$% kiddin me !!?? 🙉🙈 this thread has over 1k..for a goddamn review of the gm??!!
Kojima has as many lovers as haters.
The game is actually fine I think... a good experience for these that like different type of games and a hateful experience for these that like the industry standard experience.

You will see a lot of threads of love and hate next month.
Plus it will be in both the GOTY and TOTY list on GAF.

Last edited:

GrayChild

the with inferior gameplay but getting good scores because of the director name
1572665961581.png

So pretty much in line with titles like Deadly Premonition and Pathologic 2 which are also highly experimental, quirky titles, but ended up being loved by a lot of people due to their uniqueness which compensates some of their shortcomings.

uMhkafk.png

0qgmPSl.png

ethomaz

Banned
So pretty much in line with titles like Deadly Premonition and Pathologic 2 which are also highly experimental, quirky titles, but ended up being loved by a lot of people due to their uniqueness which compensates some of their shortcomings.

uMhkafk.png

0qgmPSl.png
Some will focus only in one aspect of the game because it is bad.
Other will look at others aspects and think that these others aspects makes the game truly special even when that one aspect is bad.

It seems like some gamers have a widen view that. others... that is fine.

For now I feel the good aspects are masterpieces and I want the try it to see if my feel ends true or not.

Day one.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You're crazy. You have Rick & Morty doing ads for this game. It's a competitive month no doubt, but it'll definitely be top 5.
I believe It will do easially over 500k in US NPD.
Err they include digital now so easily over 700k in US NPD.

Last edited:
The thing is with Shenmue there are no real micro-managing elements to Ryo that reflect real life. The only "monotony" comes from having to wait around for stuff and the job Ryo has. I think even Yu Suzuki knew that, for example, having to worry about balancing yourself with several buttons every time you decided to run would harm the gameplay experience.
In Death Stranding's case it seems Kojima has gone all in on reflecting the mundane self-care tasks that a real person in Sam Bridges' position would have to carry out. And he thinks modelling all of this and integrating into the gameplay will make the game more fun to play.

Whenever I see gameplay clips of all the packages toppling over and scattering - requiring Sam to collect them again, I can't help but think people are going to get really frustrated with that.
You're right, but you're missing my point. Shenmue back then did things extremely different just like Death Stranding does now and people hated it for that, bringing up almost the same complaints.

Compared to anything else in that time, Shenmue was full of mundane shit and wonky controls. Yu Suzuki integrated all that pointless fluff because he thought it made the game more fun, but it didn't... however it did make it more immersive, so I can see that having to balance your luggage with the triggers in Death Stranding increases the immersion. Also picking up luggage when you fell down. It will be annoying, definetly... but so was opening drawers or having to go to work in Shenmue.

So my guess is that people who liked Shenmue (or even RDR2) are going to like Death Stranding.

molasar

Banned
If not this then what is better to play this holiday season? CoD: MW, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Need for Speed: Heat or Terminator: Resistance?

Wink

If not this then what is better to play this holiday season? CoD: MW, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Need for Speed: Heat or Terminator: Resistance?
Fallen Order hype is ramping up. You have people starting to predict it'll swoop GOTY as the competition is mostly a remake and a not uncontroversial From game. (Edit: also Pokemon is gonna sell like hot cakes)

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
People are way too bound up with this idea that games need to be "fun". When by using that term all they are basically doing is drawing a circle and placing activities they enjoy within that circle, and those they don't outside of it.

The distinction for where these things fall is arbitrary. If you enjoy solving puzzles but hate twitchy action, but your friend likes action, but hates strategy, where's the "fun"?

Some people find joy in challenge and honing their skills and performance, while others just enjoy relaxing and being taken on a grand ride whilst retaining a modicum of control.

There is no absolute right and wrong unless you distill your judgement down to just what you prefer or find subjectively pleasurable. And if that's the case, why pretend to be interested in discussion? Because evidently you have that view of the world, and its all that matters.

Wink

Giving a game a 10/10 is such a dangerous thing to do because what happens if you play another game that you like more ?

People don't think before rating sometimes
You give the new one a ten as well and then make them fight to the death, because there can be only one. Make sure they know to cut the head off or it won't work.

Breakage

You're right, but you're missing my point. Shenmue back then did things extremely different just like Death Stranding does now and people hated it for that, bringing up almost the same complaints.

Compared to anything else in that time, Shenmue was full of mundane shit and wonky controls. Yu Suzuki integrated all that pointless fluff because he thought it made the game more fun, but it didn't... however it did make it more immersive, so I can see that having to balance your luggage with the triggers in Death Stranding increases the immersion. Also picking up luggage when you fell down. It will be annoying, definetly... but so was opening drawers or having to go to work in Shenmue.

So my guess is that people who liked Shenmue (or even RDR2) are going to like Death Stranding.
I don't think Death Stranding is as striking as Shenmue was. Back then there was no other game even attempting to do what Shenmue was doing. I am still wondering what is so game-changing about Death Stranding.The mundane things you mention about Shenmue didn't happen all the time. Opening drawers wasn't that big of a deal - just a couple of button presses. It didn't require the player to frequently resort to a Tony Hawks-esque kind of balancing act, which appears to be the case with traversal in this game.
Perhaps the reason why these nuanced aspects of simulated walking and cargo carrying are often abstracted and taken out of the players direct control is because when you actually turn them into gameplay elements, it becomes grating in the long run. Of course, Kojima would say that these elements were abstracted in older games simply because the tech wasn't there.
Personally, I don't think the supposedly more "immersive" form of walking and package management found in Death Stranding is gonna catch on.

Last edited:
The game is boring for the first 1/3rd, and than dull after that. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Still a high quality game though. I would easily recommend Days Gone over RDR2, its not even close in my eyes.

RDR is just a better game and has the right mix, RDR2 although very high quality just can't hit the coolness and pacing of RDR, imo.

I played Days Gone about a week before I picked up RDR2. Couldn't agree more.

RDR2 is a pile of shit.

Phase

Just pre-ordered. My first pre-order since BF3...

This is the type of project I want to support, in the face of all the gacha garbage today.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
also my stats. about 100hours in the game.

So how would you rate out of 10? I think the collider review felt very genuine and while I did not care about reviews I've changed my mind about buying the game at full price. I really have no issue traveling from one point to another for 40 hours but why the fuck didn't he add some unique stuff to find between point A and B besides some repetitive enemy encounters? Like give us some wildlife or some secret bases with cool story bits, or anything really. Wasted potential to be honest.

Last edited:
I feel like Death Stranding is the Shenmue of this generation. Some of the arguments being made here by the people who apparently hate new concepts are almost exactly the same I've heard people say 20 years ago when they were talking about Shenmue.

"How can a chore like this be considered a good game?"
"There is no gameplay!"
"You have to work in the game? You need to go to sleep in the evening? How can this be fun? This is overrated!"

I guess that everyone needs to play this for themselves, reviews are pretty much pointless for games like this.

That's why I'm more interested after the reviews. I may hate the game in the end, but I can't say I'm not excited to try it now.

Stuart360

People are way too bound up with this idea that games need to be "fun". When by using that term all they are basically doing is drawing a circle and placing activities they enjoy within that circle, and those they don't outside of it.

The distinction for where these things fall is arbitrary. If you enjoy solving puzzles but hate twitchy action, but your friend likes action, but hates strategy, where's the "fun"?

Some people find joy in challenge and honing their skills and performance, while others just enjoy relaxing and being taken on a grand ride whilst retaining a modicum of control.

There is no absolute right and wrong unless you distill your judgement down to just what you prefer or find subjectively pleasurable. And if that's the case, why pretend to be interested in discussion? Because evidently you have that view of the world, and its all that matters.
How stupid of them.

Stuart360

The amount of verbal gymnastics trying to turn this Fedex simulator into some kind of trencending high brow work of art, well its fascinating to see. Kojima is too pretentious, and like all so called 'geniuses', he needs to be brought down a peg or two. And if this is the game to do it, he will be all the better for it in the long run.

So how would you rate out of 10? I think the collider review felt very genuine and while I did not care about reviews I've changed my mind about buying the game at full price. I really have no issue traveling from one point to another for 40 hours but why the fuck didn't he add some unique stuff to find between point A and B besides some repetitive enemy encounters? Like give us some wildlife or some secret bases with cool story bits, or anything really. Wasted potential to be honest.

6, although i dont review games professionally, as a gamer i felt that the whole proccess was not enjoyable.

If i could describe my experience with few words those would be: The best game i've seen and at the same time the worst i've played.

The problem is that apart from the delivering stuff from point a to b there is nothing else, and the mechanics in between dont always work.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
How stupid of them.

Yes it is, because as I pointed out "fun" parses out to different things for different people, hell even the same person depending on their mood and outlook can seek different entertainment experiences.

Sometimes fun for me is watching a somber realistic drama like Chernobyl, other times a good action flick, or a comedy or some dispsable fluff is what I enjoy.

So tell me this, why does every game have to be judged like a Marvel movie? A style of spectacle-driven populist entertainment that ultimately has all the substance of a theme-park.

Top Bottom