• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Review Thread

GrayChild

From VG247's review:

Sometimes you take a shit and an advert for Reedus’s AMC motorbike show pops up on the shower curtain. Why do you take a shit? Because the game turns your shit, piss, and sweat into different types of grenades. The poo one? EX Grenade Number Two, obviously.

I repeat:

The game turns your shit, piss, and sweat into different types of grenades.

This alone makes the game 10/10 and you can't convince me otherwise.

Neff

Real talk, Is the game boring because not enough people are playing it yet?

If not, then I expect Kojima and pals scrambling to get that 'fun' balance patch ready.

JimiNutz

Banned
Ign makes me wonder if my suspicions of the gameplay being weak is correct.

Is the ign review the only one that criticised the gameplay?
From what I've read most reviews criticised the gameplay, some are just willing to overlook that because of the storytelling or 'ambition' of the game.

With games, I'm always in the camp that thinks gameplay is king and the most important factor above everything else. That said, I appreciate that not everyone is the same and others are perfectly willing to overlook gameplay 'flaws' if the rest of the package makes up for it.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Lol resetera is probably in full meltdown.

What I expected, yikes at that ign review.

GHG

Gold Member
Real talk, Is the game boring because not enough people are playing it yet?

If not, then I expect Kojima and pals scrambling to get that 'fun' balance patch ready.

Based on a couple of reviews I've watched if you're not playing this online then you're missing out. I don't know why you would play offline though considering a PS+ sub isn't required.

Apparently the shared world component of the game is key and makes a huge difference as you make progress.

If you want to watch a review that gives you a good idea of what it's about then watch skill ups:

Jtibh

Banned
Yep i called it. Not a good one.

But then again the only review i care for is ACG's.

Deep sale it is.

If anything, the review scores seem to emphasize that Death Stranding is hugely dependent on what players expect from a game. If you prefer a cinematic experience and a story-heavy focus over gameplay, you will enjoy this game much more. If you prefer gameplay and a straightforward story, you might get less out of Death Stranding.

The divisive reviews tell you nothing, if you don't know what you seek in a game. That doesn't mean that the game is bad or good, it just means you have to know what kind of gamer you are.

DeeDogg_

Banned
84 Metacritic is average? Does this mean Gears 5 is average?
is that a trick question?

and mind you, the only reason its that high is because its a kojima game. And it seems hes not even content with his "amazing" review scores since he's retweeting accounts complaining about IGNs review score

Javthusiast

Banned
I hear it's so vanity project pretentious in it's story trying to be some deep philosophical shit, but actually being shallow as a puddle that keeps repeating the story themes in hour long cutscenes to the end without much nuance.

Paired with same cumbersome gameplay loop and I keep losing faith in spending full price day one.

ALL THESE MOTHERFUCKERS COMPLAINING THAT DEATH STRANDING IS MOSTLY EXPLORATION BUT SAID NOTHING WHEN 90% OF BREATH OF THE WILD WAS THE SAME FUCKING THING.

HopefulNervousCoqui-size_restricted.gif

Vawn

Banned

and mind you, the only reason its that high is because its a kojima game. And it seems hes not even content with his "amazing" review scores since he's retweeting accounts complaining about IGNs review score

It's not a trick question. You can't say "84 Metacritic - see? Gears 5 is great!" and also "84 Metacritic - see? Death Stranding is horrible!"

Even if you play the conspiracy card that the entire reviewing world agreed to trash Xbox games and praise PlayStation games because of "reasons".

DeeDogg_

Banned
It's not a trick question. You can't say "84 Metacritic - see? Gears 5 is great!" and also "84 Metacritic - see? Death Stranding is horrible!"

Even if you play the conspiracy card that the entire reviewing world agreed to trash Xbox games and praise PlayStation games because of "reasons".
The game isnt a PS exclusive anymore. No need to defend it so hard

bilderberg

I wonder which game will be remembered a decade from now.

vpance

IGN reviewer hasn't really reviewed anything of note. A couple Yakuza remakes, Judgement, Quantum Break. So random.

drganon

Yes. He dropped the game after about eight hours or so because of how much he hated it.

He also called it (paraphrasing) the most unenjoyable major release he's ever played.
Cant take what Dan says too seriously. The man has the intelligence and attention span of a gold fish.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

He only retweeted that one guy. Let's not exaggerate. I will admit some of the reviewers are more forgiving because it's a Kojima game and the scores would probably be at mid 70's if this was a Konami only game for example. Everybody already knows this. Doesn't mean consumers like us won't love it.

ROMhack

So true.
Iam playing right now days gone.A game with 7.1 score on Metacritic.And I love it so far

The Last Guardian got very bad reviews as well and it is one of the best games i ever played.
I am looking out for this one

This is one of the weird things about gaming — if something has high expectations then reviewers tend to apply a lot more scrutiny to it.

I noticed myself when reading the reviews of DS this morning that they're covering certain things that they wouldn't ordinarily ask about games. It's good because that's what criticism should be about (being critical!) but it really doesn't happen very often.

Last edited:

vpance

Oh okay then the score means nothing then. Only the positive ones count

Didn't say that. Just saying it would be nice if they had reviewers that had a solid background to do the big reviews so I can get a better understanding of where they're coming from.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Gears 5 = "Great scores for a great game."

Some of the very same people a month or so later...

DS = "Haha, told you, look at the scores, hack, overrated, boring, cinematic BS, walking sim, etc.."

I see you. :messenger_weary: :messenger_ok:

It is all so fucking tiring.

Just goes to show you that Sony first party is held at a higher standard; to fanatics of every circle. Ironic, eh?

Last edited:
Top Bottom