• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT39| Tainted Love

I just wanted to share once again how amazing the DGAF community is. Yesterday was my 31st birthday. I had a wonderful weekend thanks to my friends, family, GF,and DGAF.

My GF made reservations at a whiskey bar in the loop and I got to enjoy some Pappy Van Winkle for the second time in my life. She also got me the 60s Batman series on Blu Ray. To top it off, she made me a birthday cake and dinner last night. So, as I am enjoying this delicious cake and watching the Oscars with her I decide to check Neogaf. I see that I have a PM from none other than one JohnOfMars.

What did he send me you ask? This amazing piece of artwork!

My Warlock!

Seriously, thank you SO freaking much John! I am happy to be your Trials wingman anytime! I am always floored by the amazing people here and great friendships I have made all thanks to a videogame. This community is amazing!

PS - John's going to send it to me and I'm going to get it framed.

PPS - Thanks to everyone who sent me Happy Bday PSN messages and wished me a Happy Bday here!

People hate firebolts because it stops them camping in corners or just hard scoping all game, if you tried moving around you wouldn't get hit by them so much

I hate firebolts for the same reason I feel dirty using firebolts.

The fact is, it requires very little skill to use effectively. When I use them, all I have to do is tap my target with one pulse/scout/HC shot, and then let the grenade to the rest of the work.

So encounters go one of two ways.

A) Toss grenade, see it shoot out, and thus make contact. Use the numbers popping up to know where to aim. Go around a wide corner so I can tap my target to death. By tap, usually mean fire a pulse without even using ADS because it's not needed.

or

B) Tap enemy from distance with pulse. Throw grenade because they've ducked behind corner and assume they are at a safe distance. Watch as they burn to death.

The thing about Firebolt is that it is a guaranteed 75% damage in a very large blast radius (assuming viking funeral). It's the only grenade that does that much damage without also requiring a level of accuracy or grenade placement.

Lol, that video. You don't see me crying about Hunters having a grenade that can OHK, yet the firebolt is OP

Again you can easily jump out of the way?

What the hell is that comment supposed to be? You dont cry about hunter having a OHK nade (nevermind the fact that sunsingers also have a fusion grenade) and thats supposed to mean the firebolt is not OP? Yeah it can't OHK but in trials thats not even close to the most important thing a nade can do when you have the firebolt which can tag a whole team which makes a collapse disgustingly easy. You dont even have to tag a whole team, tag one guy and he has to change his positioning to hide (because 15 seconds out of a fight to regen is reasonable) giving your team map control which is way more important in trials.

Also "easily jump out of the way"? Now you are just being disingenuous. You cant even blink away from that shit. If you are in the initial tracking and blink 20 feet away from where the grenade landed you'll still get tagged.

it's an amazing 6v6 sniper. I wouldn't take it in 3v3s

I've never really understood why low impact snipers are supposed to be better in 6v6. I get the no revive snipe thing, but 1kYS does 167 to the body which means it's much more likely to clean up enemies damaged by your teammates relative to the ~100 damage of low impact guns. The RoF difference isn't that noticeable where you can almost as easily double-body someone with high impact as low impact snipers. You also don't have to sweat special ammo crates as much since each bullet does more damage. I dunno, it's a fine sniper. I was just trying to give you an upside for playing hundreds of IB games without getting one.

edit: you are a good man Mr. Trout but way off base on the firebolts. The only thing that avoids them is shade step invincibility frames which are also dumb and should not be a thing. Firebolts are ridiculously easy to use and auto-track nearby enemies while keeping them at one-shot status for waaay too long.

Lol, that video. You don't see me crying about Hunters having a grenade that can OHK, yet the firebolt is OP

:}
tripmines SHOULD always 1 hit kill, yet people survive them or walk through them half of the time. Tripmine master race.

Also "easily jump out of the way"? Now you are just being disingenuous. You cant even blink away from that shit. If you are in the initial tracking and blink 20 feet away from where the grenade landed you'll still get tagged.
Take it with a grain of salt Igor. Mehr loves scumbaggy kills and he's just fishing.

Firebolts, fusion grenades, incendiary 1 hit kills. I'd expect more from the company that introduced dedicated grenade buttons in shooters and got them so right in Halo.

Warlocks have Fusion Grenades which can curve to stick on to you that can ohko so I'm not sure where you're going with this. Tripmine not only has to stick, but you have to look at your target. You can also survive a tripmine stuck on a wall if you have max armor. The only way to stop getting burned is either shadestepping out of it or killing the person before they do enough damage to kill you. Firebolts are almost the same as arcbolt grenades which got nerfed.

Stickies should always 1HKO. It requires a much stronger level of accuracy to target. That said, the magnetism on some of them could afford to be turned down just a bit. Plus, they almost always only damage one single target. Compare that to a Firebolt that can deal 75% damage to 3 separate people that aren't standing immediately on top of each other.

Basically, compare the number of times you miss with a sticker (that makes the grenade worthless) to the number of times you miss with a firebolt (that makes it worthless).

Chances are, you're looking at something like a 5:1 ratio.

Warlocks have Fusion Grenades which can curve to stick on to you that can ohko so I'm not sure where you're going with this. Tripmine not only has to stick, but you have to look at your target. You can also survive a tripmine stuck on a wall if you have max armor. The only way to stop getting burned is either shadestepping out of it or killing the person before they do enough damage to kill you. Firebolts are almost the same as arcbolt grenades which got nerfed.

Arcbolts also don't have the lingering dot, which means they don't take players out of the game as long, and they also don't do as much damage.

I've never really understood why low impact snipers are supposed to be better in 6v6. I get the no revive snipe thing, but 1kYS does 167 to the body which means it's much more likely to clean up enemies damaged by your teammates relative to the ~100 damage of low impact guns. The RoF difference isn't that noticeable where you can almost as easily double-body someone with high impact as low impact snipers. You also don't have to sweat special ammo crates as much since each bullet does more damage. I dunno, it's a fine sniper. I was just trying to give you an upside for playing hundreds of IB games without getting one.

The gun has amazing stats, apart from its impact rating. The equip speed and handling for weapon is awesome. The stock reload speed is great.

It also has the best ttk (for 2 shots) than other snipes.

Thanks tho. You'd think I'd be more used to getting pooped on by RNG

I'd say being able throw an accurate firebolt has a skill factor, its not as if you have to aimlessly launch them around the map to get free kills. Picking your spot carefully and hitting the bullseye is what its all about

What the hell is that comment supposed to be? You dont cry about hunter having a OHK nade (nevermind the fact that sunsingers also have a fusion grenade) and thats supposed to mean the firebolt is not OP? Yeah it can't OHK but in trials thats not even close to the most important thing a nade can do when you have the firebolt which can tag a whole team which makes a collapse disgustingly easy. You dont even have to tag a whole team, tag one guy and he has to change his positioning to hide (because 15 seconds out of a fight to regen is reasonable) giving your team map control which is way more important in trials.

A well placed lightning grenade or Tripmine can wipe a team as well,. People just get salty with firebolts as they've been outplayed by a skilfully placed grenade

Edit and its nowhere near 20ft, geometry fucks it up as well

just wanted to say it takes way more skill to properly place a lightning grenade than it does a firebolt

firebolts do take some skill to place effectively but they are by far the best grenade in the game. no question.

I do think nerfing them would make the sunsinger super pretty useless

stickies in this game are way easier to use that halo. I feel they take way less skill than firebolts

I do love that shade step completely shits all over firebolts

LTWood12

I may not post here nearly as often but I'm always watching.

<3 u DGAF

I just wanted to share once again how amazing the DGAF community is. Yesterday was my 31st birthday. I had a wonderful weekend thanks to my friends, family, GF,and DGAF.

My GF made reservations at a whiskey bar in the loop and I got to enjoy some Pappy Van Winkle for the second time in my life. She also got me the 60s Batman series on Blu Ray. To top it off, she made me a birthday cake and dinner last night. So, as I am enjoying this delicious cake and watching the Oscars with her I decide to check Neogaf. I see that I have a PM from none other than one JohnOfMars.

My Warlock!

Seriously, thank you SO freaking much John! I am happy to be your Trials wingman anytime! I am always floored by the amazing people here and great friendships I have made all thanks to a videogame. This community is amazing!

PPS - Thanks to everyone who sent me Happy Bday PSN messages and wished me a Happy Bday here!

A late happy birthday to two top shelf duders.

Kyoufu

I don't understand
aExWDOx.jpg

The first tree of perks aren't fully unlocked lol.

Also happy birthday to Ape & Unstable.

stickies in this game are way easier to use that halo. I feel they take way less skill than firebolts

I do love that shade step completely shits all over firebolts

I think it's a tradeoff because grenade speeds in Destiny seem way slower than Halo throws.

Like. Destiny feels like playing Softball compared to Halo's Baseball.

All Destiny grenades have this floatyness to them. I think that's why the magnetism is so strong, to compensate for the lack of speed when throwing.

I don't understand

The first tree of perks aren't fully unlocked lol.

Also happy birthday to Ape & Unstable.

A long time ago they changed the first row of perks on the weapon. not sure how it did this, but I'm sure it's releated.

Stickies should always 1HKO. It requires a much stronger level of accuracy to target. That said, the magnetism on some of them could afford to be turned down just a bit. Plus, they almost always only damage one single target. Compare that to a Firebolt that can deal 75% damage to 3 separate people that aren't standing immediately on top of each other.

Basically, compare the number of times you miss with a sticker (that makes the grenade worthless) to the number of times you miss with a firebolt (that makes it worthless).

Chances are, you're looking at something like a 5:1 ratio.

Arcbolts also don't have the lingering dot, which means they don't take players out of the game as long, and they also don't do as much damage.
Arcbolt grenades in year 1 were stupid because chaining which could wipe an entire team if two were thrown. Exactly like how firebolts are stupid because it can take a team or a single person out of the game.

I'd say being able throw an accurate firebolt has a skill factor, its not as if you have to aimlessly launch them around the map to get free kills. Picking your spot carefully and hitting the bullseye is what its all about

A well placed lightning grenade or Tripmine can wipe a team as well
,. People just get salty with firebolts as they've been outplayed by a skilfully placed grenade

Edit and its nowhere near 20ft, geometry fucks it up as well
Please tell me the odds of that happening compared to Firebolt grenades. I've never even heard of a Tripmine wiping a team.

Which perk is recommended?

Depends on what you want it for.

If you're primarily using it for raids, I think the top one gives a small boost to impact, which normally doesn't mean much, but because of how Snipers do extra damage on Raid bosses, you're talking about a small about of 4000-6000 a shot. Which adds up like crazy.

Arcbolt grenades in year 1 were stupid because chaining which could wipe an entire team if two were thrown. Exactly like how firebolts are stupid because it can take a team or a single person out of the game.

Please tell me the odds of that happening compared to Firebolt grenades. I've never even heard of a Tripmine wiping a team.

Three of them and Iron Banner so the same levels as Trials

vbOG8W.gif

My Warlock!

I already mentioned it during our Trials games last weekend but happy b-day again to you good sir! Sounds like you had a most excellent day, very glad to hear that the fine folks around here could contribute to it. I already knew John was a very kind and thoughtful man, but now I know he's a great artist as well! Thanks for sharing.

edit: all this grenade conversation needs is a Breezy diagram to reach "Cycle Warz" levels of stupidity.

A well placed lightning grenade or Tripmine can wipe a team as well,. People just get salty with firebolts as they've been outplayed by a skilfully placed grenade

Nah, take the range down a notch from 8 feet (if i'm remembering the number correctly) to 5 or 6 and then i'll aknowledge that tagging someone with a firebolt takes more than a basic skill of knowing how to use a controller.

My Warlock!

I'm glad you like it, Ape. It was fun to play around with my watercolors again and see how far I could go with just two colors.

Gotta say, though, you didn't make it easy with your helmet choices. You said your favorites were Light Beyond Nemesis and The Ram.

Well, as a Titan who did play Year 1 Trials, I can and always will say f--- the Ram. But Light Beyond Nemesis has always creeped me out.

Trypophobia is the fear of small grouped holes. Not like a serious phobia, but creeeeeepy. Google that term if you want some serious nightmare fuel.

But I'm a Titan, I shall overcome.

SpecX

Are we doing tripmine gifs? Gunslinger master race. Super OP tripmines.
J6OM51o.gif

Lmao, the bodies flying over the rail. Placing a tripmine on the heavy ammo tends to be the best for mass killings. Everyone flocks to the crate and doesn't even pay attention to the fact there's a grenade on there.

Three of them and Iron Banner so the same levels as Trials

vbOG8W.gif
Well thanks for that GIF, but they were capping a flag grouped together. In Trials, literally all you do is tag one and rush them because they will not retaliate since they're focused on getting away. And again, what are the odds of that happening often in Trials?

LTWood12

Trypophobia is the fear of small grouped holes. Not like a serious phobia, but creeeeeepy. Google that term if you want some serious nightmare fuel.

But I'm a Titan, I shall overcome.

Awesome artwork man. Light Beyond Nemesis looks classy. The Ram and The Stag on the other hand look like they're taken directly from the True Detective Season 1 Carcossa cult. The Stag especially.

speaking of fears, I have a really irrational fear of things being pointed at me. Someone has a pencil stuck on their ear, or is casually pointing a pencil or pen at me when talking to me I can't look at them.

Whenever I get a tripmine stick kill, I giggle like a little schoolgirl. I wish lightning grenades would stick.

Where's that video of a lighting grenade sticking to an axiom bolt and started chasing a guy with mobile lighting haha. Now that's a sick combo. It was in a BWU.

edit: you are a good man Mr. Trout but way off base on the firebolts. The only thing that avoids them is shade step invincibility frames which are also dumb and should not be a thing. Firebolts are ridiculously easy to use and auto-track nearby enemies while keeping them at one-shot status for waaay too long.

I agree, unless it has a PR RoF but still. I don't like aiming for the body unless they're already weak. And every once and a while you run into a warlock that self rez. Good luck with that revive snipe! Even in Crimson Doubles, I switched back to 1kYS from trying Her Benevolence. Just way too used to it.

Dave_6

C'mon Bungie, show me something on the upcoming PvE content. I miss Destiny but not enough to play the ever frustrating PvP :(

stay gold

I guess im biased since I main a Sunsinger, but I find getting hit with Nightstalker smoke far more annoying than being tagged with a Firebolt. That screen effect makes Thorn look like childs play.

Still wouldn't want it nerfed though, tired of ruining everything good.

I guess im biased since I main a Sunsinger, but I find getting hit with Nightstalker smoke far more annoying than being tagged with a Firebolt. That screen effect makes Thorn look like childs play.

Still wouldn't want it nerfed though, tired of ruining everything good.

definitely

but the effective range of smoke grenades are way smaller.

they are good enough where you can smoke someone, dance, then finish them off with your primary/special

Tri4

What's wrong with tripmines OHK on sticks? Don't they have like the least aim assist of all the stickies? At least they don't seem to turn 45 degrees like fusion grenades. And the up close stickies are risky because you red light can aim at you and kill you.

As for grouped mass murder, that works with most grenades. Yesterday I got 2 triple kills in a span of 25 secs (grenade cool down) using a storm grenade, that doesn't mean it's OP. Also done the same with lightning grenades, incendiary, vortex, void wall and pretty much any other AoE grenade. They're just situational.

With firebolt you can just toss them within 10 metres of someone and it'll tag them pretty much every time. Then all you need to do is chase them and shoot like one bullet at them and they're dead.

Top Bottom