• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

pringles

Expansion sounds terrible.

1 new strike (for people on XB)? These should be so damn quick to throw together, I don't think 3-4 new ones at least would be much to ask for.

2 new 'small' Crucible maps and 1 big? Ouch. Again that's not enough. Especially since both the smallest and biggest maps are by far the worst, what they need more of is mid-sized maps..

"Story" missions from a new vendor? Everything Bungie 'adds' boils down to a vendor. Oh well. Maybe the missions will actually be real, substantial additions. I worry they will be what the Queen's Wrath mission were.

Basically seems like the new Raid will be the only thing making it worth buying, assuming it's on the same level as the VoG.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Also, do I have it right that wearing the faction item (in my case a cloak for FWC) earns me faction rep...but I can't buy their gear as it requires Crucible marks, rather than Vanguard marks? I don't do PvP...
That's accurate. If you don't do PvP at all, focus your efforts on Vanguard Rep and Marks.

I think she? will give out those 3 new story missions first and after completing them she turns into bounty machine that you then use to grind rep with her. You then need grind rep until X level in order to get access to gear that she is selling which then boosts your character to Y level..

Yeesh, so it sounds like Iron Banner.

Bungie, what the fuck, this expansion sounds like a letdown. Please don't call them expansions, they aren't even close to that, they are DLC packs. WoW has EXPANSIONS.

Daemul

Hmm, I wonder....Can I do today's "collect 200 of this item" bounty in the Raid? I know I can do the 100 precision kills bounty and kill three enemies with one super bounties, but can the collect 200 Pumice threads on Venus be done in the Raid aswell?

MADGAME

Hmm, I wonder....Can I do today's "collect 200 of this item" bounty in the Raid? I know I can do the 100 precision kills bounty and kill three enemies with one super bounties, but can the collect 200 Pumice threads on Venus be done in the Raid aswell?

Yes, you will accumulate them in the Raid.

jay23

Damn it seems like my nightfall luck has ran out, I got an exotic 6 weeks straight.

Hunter-10 strange coins
Warlock- doctor nope(dismantled)

Yep, we'll see how the drop off goes when MCC and CoD: AW comes out.

That's where i'll be. I've done all there is to do in Destiny far too many times. The DLC doesn't have anything to keep me besides jumping back in for a week to experience the new raid. If it's required grinding or RNG to get to 32 in this... i have NO desire to put forth that time again for the little they give us.

Cost (time) benefit (fun/enjoyment) ratio for me personally looks to greatly lean towards AW and MCC.

Jito

Banned
It's crazy Strikes have to be sold as DLC and that XB players are getting one less than PS. Really any mission in the game could be a strike, just add more enemy spawns and a larger version of an existing enemy at the end of the mission as a boss. Sorted Bungie, I just added 100% more content to your game without trying or having to sell anything.

ocean

Banned
OK so I just discovered the Voidwalker subclass. I've always used Sunsinger on my alt Warlock and only equipped Voidwalker when turning bounties in so it could level up a bit. Now that it's about halfway leveled I decided to take it out for a spin at the Crucible.

Goddamn this is deadly :| I will probably still be a Sunbro for PvE but this class is insanely fun for PvP! Shame it took me so long to try it out.

Gordon

I don't really know what this means, but I was referring to the time to invest in a decent play session.

Though, if Hawkian is still doing his VoG newbie groups in a month or two I can probably join. (Still level 22.)

Also, do I have it right that wearing the faction item (in my case a cloak for FWC) earns me faction rep...but I can't buy their gear as it requires Crucible marks, rather than Vanguard marks? I don't do PvP...
If you don't do PvP don't equip a faction class item. It'll gimp your progress severely. Even if you want to try some PvP, only bother with factions once you have Vanguard to at least 2 if not 3 for the weapons, although if you wanted to equip it strictly during PvP to override crucible rep that wouldn't hurt.

Fixed1979

You mean like xur etc? Got 8 strange coins and about the same motes of light so I'm getting there.

Nope, not Xur. The faction vendors (New Monarchy, Future War Cult, etc). You can buy a class specific item from them and all the XP that would go towards Vanguard and Crucible will go towards that one faction instead. If you're only playing a bit, and mixing between PVP and PVE it's a decent way to rank up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nope, not Xur. The faction vendors (New Monarchy, Future War Cult, etc). You can buy a class specific item from them and all the XP that would go towards Vanguard and Crucible will go towards that one faction instead. If you're only playing a bit, and mixing between PVP and PVE it's a decent way to rank up.
Note that while their armor is solid, they have only a small selection of weapons compared to the Vanguard and Crucible vendors themselves.

CornDogg

OK so I just discovered the Voidwalker subclass. I've always used Sunsinger on my alt Warlock and only equipped Voidwalker when turning bounties in so it could level up a bit. Now that it's about halfway leveled I decided to take it out for a spin at the Crucible.

Goddamn this is deadly :| I will probably still be a Sunbro for PvE but this class is insanely fun for PvP! Shame it took me so long to try it out.

Yeah, Voidwalker is a lot of fun in PvP. Blink is great, and always having a grenade available after respawning due to Voidfang Vestments is really nice.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I don't really know what this means, but I was referring to the time to invest in a decent play session.

Though, if Hawkian is still doing his VoG newbie groups in a month or two I can probably join. (Still level 22.)

Correct you need Crucible Marks to buy Faction gear, Vanguard marks so far are just Vanguard only

What you could do is if you don't do PvP is farm materials from a planet and hand them in 50 for +5 Crucible Marks, +25 Rep (Crucible or Faction), +250 Glimmer
Just go on youtube or whenever you are free and can give me 15 minutes of your time, put your mic on, follow me on how I do my loop, I'll show you 95% of all nodes/chest
You can do patrols also, so it works out very well for you

At the start you might get < 100 per hour, but once you know it like the back of your hand, you jump up to 150+ easily
You'll roughly need 1000 materials for it to become 100 marks (10:1 Ratio)
It took me 2 days of 5 hours a day to get 1200 spinmetal, (I know you can't do it like that), but over a weeks time, if you invest 1 hour+, you'll hit the cap every week w/o touching PvP

Fixed1979

Note that while their armor is solid, they have only a small selection of weapons compared to the Vanguard and Crucible vendors themselves.

Yup, I suppose it's also worth pointing out that these faction vendors only accept crucible marks (which I really dislike), so it'll still be worthwhile to level up Vanguard as your Vanguard marks will be useless without it...

There's some definite downsides to just ranking a faction, but with limited play time and a split between PVE and PVP it's worth considering as an option.

Two questions, one of which I would super appreciate some input on; I've asked it a few times before with no answer, and I want Bertram Destiny GAF opinions:

1. What are the best legendary heavy weapons available for purchase from a vendor? It's the last Rare slot I need to replace. I prefer MGs, but I'll probably get one of each to cover my bases.

2. Any tips on beating Nexus Nightfall? My friends and I can get to the boss (Sekrion?) without much trouble, but we got stomped, as none of us realized the Praetorian spawned if we stayed up there too long, even if the boss hadn't spawned. Two of us are 27, so that adds some challenge.

Jito

Banned
How could Bungie take two weeks to patch Raid "bugs" yet haven't fixed the Strike playlists? I don't want to play the Nexus Strike again for the second time in a row!

I wasn't expecting a new planet, but a new area on an existing planet with its own map, like Old Chicago on Earth or the dark side of the moon.

Agreed. The areas on disc should have been unlocked over time, or even better, unlocked via puzzle mechanics that could only be accomplished by having a patrol team with the right set of exotics equipped. Four golden gun shots and 10 warlock grenades buffed by weapons of light are needed to energize the door. New locations on existing planets and/or small moons should have been the expansion.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
So with them doubling the bounty slots are they gonna halve the exp rewards so we don't exceed bungie's expected leveling/grind rate? Cuz I could totally see that happening. Nothing besides the raid seems new or interesting in this "expansion". Oh well it's technically already payed for so I guess I'll try it. What happened to the weekly events btw? Or the Osiris trials? I take it they won't let us equip more exotic Armour either correct?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Correct you need Crucible Marks to buy Faction gear, Vanguard marks so far are just Vanguard only

What you could do is if you don't do PvP is farm materials from a planet and hand them in 50 for +5 Crucible Marks, +25 Rep (Crucible or Faction), +250 Glimmer
Just go on youtube or whenever you are free and can give me 15 minutes of your time, put your mic on, follow me on how I do my loop, I'll show you 95% of all nodes/chest

At the start you might get < 100 per hour, but once you know it like the back of your hand, you jump up to 150+ easily
It took me 2 days of 5 hours a day to get 1200 spinmetal, (I know you can't do it like that), but over a weeks time, if you invest 1 hour+, you'll hit the cap every week w/o touching PvP
He's not playing anywhere near intensively enough for this to be viable. You are correct about the changeability with hardcore farming but it's impractical based on his stated playstyle/schedule.

Ok. I'm working toward the boss right now. I'll pop you an invite once I'm there.

I don't have my Fusion rifle on me, but I do have Atheon's Epilogue and a Void HMG to help take him out.

Thanks for having me. Hard Light was on the list of weapons I want, now I just need Hawkmoon, and Gjahallon horn

I swear, I have THE worst luck with exotics. I always get something I already have.

Regardless, good job Darryl.

Last week I got 2 exotics for warlocks, and I have 3 hunter characters. Yea RNG sucks. After 3 nightfalls this week only one exotic, rest just purples that turned purple.

hydruxo

That sounds completely miserable. I know some people dislike pvp but it can't be worse than mindlessly farming a thousand mats.

Since the leak for The Dark Below's content was pretty much spot on, we can safely assume that House of Wolves will be the same as the leaked content, therefore not very much.

In this case, my guess is there will be 1 more expansion in Summer 2015 and we will get the "Nova" release that was mentioned in the court files, that will give us the substantial content we crave like new planets and the like.

The worst part is that the "free" content will continue to be crap like Queen's Wrath.

Since the leak for The Dark Below's content was pretty much spot on, we can safely assume that House of Wolves will be the same as the leaked content, therefore not very much.

In this case, my guess is there will be 1 more expansion in Summer 2015 and we will get the "Nova" release that was mentioned in the court files, that will give us the substantial content we crave like new planets and the like.

The worst part is that the "free" content will continue to be crap like Queen's Wrath.

Are Nova/Comet supposed (in theory) to be new retail games a la Destiny: Subtitle or are they more DLC packages?

CornDogg

And where is the last city, exactly? What country/region/area?

I'd like to know this as well.

Given the mountains behind the Tower, I imagine those are the Himalayas and it's in Tibet/China or India. This would also put it somewhat close to Old Russia, where the trip wouldn't be as bad in your initial junked up space ship.

pringles

I wasn't expecting a new planet, but a new area on an existing planet with its own map, like Old Chicago on Earth or the dark side of the moon.
I don't think it's even needed right now. There are plenty of areas barely used in the current game. And adding strikes/missions that go through the levels using different routes and mixing the encounter design up could easily make things feel fresh. Unless the 3 story missions are something special, this DLC is a disappointment.

I was also hoping they would add Public events and random events to the planets. Just yesterday I encountered "a roving band of pikes" on Venus for the first time. Just two enemies on pikes, no rewards for killing them or anything, but the game really needs more of these things thrown in to keep Patrol from just being people on farm loops. The one or two times I've encountered public events while on a strike rank up there as some of my favorite moments. Shame the game so rarely is what it has potential to be.

need them.

You are certainly welcome if you can make the time :)

Both great Gunslinger pieces, little overlap. Achylophage is the best raid exotic I can think of- one more free Oracle kill.

I certainly hope to be!

With ocean in, that's 3/6 slots for tomorrow, 9:00PM.

I should have mentioned, it's "newbie-only" in theme, but if you feel like just helping some newbies out or learning new roles even if you're a vet you're welcome to join. The key here is I'd like to get as many people who have been intimidated/unable to find a group/playing casually through as possible.

If you still have a spot open for tomorrow I'd like to tag along. I should be completing my 2nd raid tonight, but I have a 28 Hunter and a 28 Warlock with good weapons. I just want to get more comfortable in the raid, as my first time through I just found one role and stuck to it, so I don't have a grasp of all the moving pieces and what my teammates were doing.

PSN is Dr_LawyerCop

hydruxo

I'd like to know this as well.

Given the mountains behind the Tower, I imagine those are the Himalayas and it's in Tibet/China or India. Thus would also put it somewhat close to Old Russia, where the trip wouldn't be as bad in your initial junked up space ship.

Yeah I'd assume it's close to Old Russia.

Twilight Gap is on the "city perimeter" and it has similar architecture to some buildings in Old Russia too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So with them doubling the bounty slots are they gonna halve the exp rewards so we don't exceed bungie's expected leveling/grind rate? Cuz I could totally see that happening.
...no. XP literally doesn't progress your level at all past 20.

And you know what, while we're at it:
Why in the world did they change the story/strike bounties to 50/2500 instead of 100/5000?

Urgh.
Seems like some of the heoic story bounties got nerfed to 2500 exp rather than 5000 exp. Lame.
Why the fuck did the Heroic Story bounties get nerfed? They used to give 100 rep/5000 exp, but all of the sudden they give 50 rep/2500 exp. The only reason I even bothered doing most of them was because of the 100 rep/5000 exp, now I can't be arsed anymore.

This isn't the first time Bungie has pulled this shit, a couple of bounties rep/exp amounts were nerfed soon after the games release. Yes Bungie, I fucking noticed.
I noticed :(

Bungie are going mad with nerf power.
I noticed two heroic story bounties yesterday. Both were 100 rep/5000xp. Exactly as I thought, the amounts within the rewards are tied to the actual bounty in question. 50/2500 bounties tend to be a sub-boss within the story mission than can render the clear time ludicrously fast (just hit orbit as soon as the bounty pops). 100/5000xp bounties tend to require you to kill the end boss.

I get that part of the fun here is assuming Bungie wants to fuck you over as much of the time as possible, but it really is a bit much sometimes.

Hoodbury

2. Any tips on beating Nexus Nightfall? My friends and I can get to the boss (Sekrion?) without much trouble, but we got stomped, as none of us realized the Praetorian spawned if we stayed up there too long, even if the boss hadn't spawned. Two of us are 27, so that adds some challenge.

Now that you know he spawns back there is it just execution you're having issues with? Have someone watching for him and once he spawns call it out on the mic and all 3 of you focus fire on him. Eventually you'll get the timing down where you don't need someone watching for him and you can just peek back when you feel he's coming.

Plus the boss will have aoe attacks at the ledge so it's not like you can spam against him the whole time, so you should with 3 of you have plenty of time to look back for him.

Use void weapons on him and all 3 of you should be able to get him down easy enough. Use supers and rez each other as fast as you can.

It's still tough up top but take your time.

patchday

Yep, we'll see how the drop off goes when MCC and CoD: AW comes out.

Yeah I'm getting CoD: AW. I am actually more of a pvp focused player. The only pve I find tolerable in this game (Destiny) is the raid really. Every other boss feels rushed and pure bullet sponges. Which is a shame. Because some of the 'plain' bosses have nice concepts (like Phogoth).

But I dont think I'm gonna just straight up quit. Of course you never know when you play a new game.

Too many times have I looked for this..

Defensive Upgrade - Light Added
Group Base #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 Max
Legendary 18 2 2 1 2 2 27
Exotic 21 2 2 2 3 30
Raid Legendary 18 2 2 2 3 3 30

I wish I could find the quote, but I definitely remember Bungie saying that they had a dedicated team working 24/7 to add a stream of new content. Were they just talking about the DLC team? I mean why bother mentioning that since everybody has a DLC team? I really got the impression at the time that it was meant to be free content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom