• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? I didn't even respond to the initial post.

And don't tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about.

The content of your comment was referencing my post. Which post you quoted while commenting on my post is irrelevant.

I've been running flawless raids for god knows how many hours the last week or so and I haven't died a single time. I've helped tons of first-timers learn the ropes because it's fun for me to help people learn. I know every square inch and every minuscule mechanical detail of how the raid is supposed to function. While there have been portal glitches before, the precise nature and frequency of the current Atheon glitches is 100% new since the patch. Your previous post was completely incorrect, which is why I said you had no idea what you were talking about.

Rage is still simmering, but I'm glad to see quite a lot of you agree that the materials grind is ridiculous. It just seems so broken, conceptually. Why would you want to fill your overworld(what's the correct term for the planetary surface in destiny?) with people engaging in a super solitary grind for materials. There's not a single social hook, in fact the way it handles chest looting makes it even more anti social. There is no benefit to running chest/mat nodes in a fireteam since it simply serves to slow you down since node drops aren't shared and you need to call them over to every drop, it triples travel time for a full fireteam. Other players not in your fireteam are even worse since you're not even aware of the chest/nodes they find, and they despawn really quickly too. An other player doing a run in the same area you're running is an annoyance, and that feels wrong to me.

Furthermore the amount of materials required to upgrade even a single item can require a multiple hour time investment. I can probably gather the materials to upgrade 1 to 3 items in an hour of incredibly boring solo grinding, but I'm also really OCD, know all of the chest spawns and know a bunch of methods to increase my output. Someone playing this game casually stands no chance of gathering the required materials without looking up specific farming runs, and that feels wrong to me.

But yet it still compounds, because items require a variety of different mats in varying amounts. It's really hard to keep track of exactly how many of a specific item you need without resorting to writing it down, and writing it down just makes the grind stand out much more. It's no fun coming to the conclusion that in order to use the weapons you raided for, and spent several hours playing pve&pvp to level up are incapable of leveling up without a significant added time investment in content that is utterly unenjoyable, anti-social, and of dubious value, and that feels wrong to me.

Every item you acquire is worse than what you already have unless you spend a significant amount of time gathering the 4 required resources. There is no way to recoup those resources, no way to gather them more efficiently and they're all earned in a very specific fashion. You cannot choose which content you engage with, you're forced to engage with all of it. This would not be an issue if all of the content was enjoyable but the majority of the content isn't that great and forcing people to engage with it for several hours to make use of items they received feels wrong to me.

I feel like at it's core the end game is badly planned. You run the nightfall, the weekly, the raid on tuesday and you spend the rest of the week waking the hive and boosting around a planet staring at bushes. If you're short on ascended materials you may run a daily, but that's rare since you're raiding the vault of ass and you're probably swimming in them. That kind of feels wrong to me.

You should not make content valueless in a game that's short on it, yet that's what Bungie does time and time again. It stretches across so many things too. Bounties lose their value unless you're grinding rep or have a weapon/armour to level. Patrols are pointless if you're at rep lvl 3. The endgame content is only good once a week, the entire story is pointless except for the daily mission. Strikes serve no purpose once you've got a full set of legendaries and all the shards you could want. And the bushes aren't worth anything if you don't have an item that requires mats. (Never going to happen). Once the casual playerbase that has stopped making progress weeks ago drops off to COD you'll literally have nobody left playing anything besides the daily mission and pvp. And the people left are probably going to run everything on tuesday and shelve the game for a week until they get bored of even doing that. This feels super wrong to me.

Every single activity should offer up a goddamn smorgasbord of rewards. Mats/Engrams/Rep/Marks. All of them. Every single goddamn one. They should offer more if you do them in a fireteam, that'd be the goddamn strongest social hook you could possibly have. Shards and energy shouldn't be rewards. Just drop a weapon or an armour piece, it will get dismantled and the net result will be the same, just with slightly less dissapointment. It's not like fixing the endgame is some goddamn complicated feat of wizardry. Just increase the reward for engaging in your content Bungie. Picking up plants and opening chests should never be required, the fuck is this game? a chest opening simulator or a first person shooter? You should be flooded with mats so trading them in for rep seems like a sensible option and becomes a viable alternate means for rep progression. The loot system is robust enough that dropping more items is a logically sound idea. Increase the variety in stat distribution and perk assignment and you'll have a system where every weapon is a possible upgrade and there is no best in class. Combine that with a sensible grind to unlock a weapons potential and you have goddamn digital crack.

Right now though, Bungie has got nothing but digital asscrack. And I'm losing faith in their ability to rectify it. They haven't even identified the materials grind as being a problem and that is deeply disturbing to me personally. It seems like they're in way over their heads and are honestly clueless on how to fix this game. I wish they'd listen to me, just slightly, just enough to atleast evaluate what the hell they're doing.

i5s6WR48NOpK0.gif

Nodnol

Nightfall done...dismantled Legendary for my troubles. At this point, I just look forward to it for the XP boost, and anything extra is just that.

Is anyone feeling like this is all very...monotonous? I think, finally, with nearly 200 hours played, fatigue is kicking in. The gameplay is starting to lose its charm.

Soon Sunset Overdrive will be downloaded, and next week some of my friends will be using COD for their multiplayer fix...my dedication and fascination with Destiny may be strained.

Waldini

GAF, need help!

Im 4 rare Fusion Rifles short. Did Tiger Strikes, nothing. Checked the GunSmith, nothing (every 3 hours)....

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Right? I was wondering the same. I get enough mats by doing the triangle/pyramid vanguard missions. A half hour to 45 minute run usually gets between 15 and 20 mats along with glimmer and multiple engrams. Chests pop for 10 sometimes for me.

I just have fun shooting shit for a bit and boom next upgrade. I'm assuming people are grinding mats for multiple characters and weapons. I can see it becoming a job at that point but I have never had any frustration getting enough for a single character.

1) I never, ever gather more than one or two upgrades' worth of mats (16 or 32) at one time. It's great for, say, a 22-minute episode of something, or just killing time while waiting for a fireteam to pull together. I have a route I like for all four mats now (well, I could use some help with Helium), and honestly find it kind of relaxing and enjoyable :X I've taken off to do something else long before tedium/boredom set in.
2) 30-45 minutes can get you WAY more than 15-20 mats! Happy to show you routes sometime if you like :)
unfortunately the raid progression system will render all gear from a previous tier of raiding obsolete, unless they add a visual swap system in the game. hive raid weapons will have a higher max than 300 damage, and raid armor will carry you to 32 instead of 30. there's absolutely no point to do vault of glass outside of cosmetic reasons if you're already 30, or even 29. it's the same problem mmo's have had for decades and will continue to have because with further progression, you demand further power increases, which negates the need for earlier items.
Hmmm... the progression is obviously true with regard to light. How do you know the hive raid legendaries will have higher damage than the previous ones? It would be really awesome if they were actually equivalent but with raid/race specific perks instead. Cosmetic reasons for the armor pieces should be legitimate ones, though- the game is desperate for a transmutation system.

Regardless: the Vex Mythoclast is an exotic, which will still be desirable- then there's Timebreaker and Chatterwhite (if you somehow didn't manage to pick it up) and the ship as four unique, non-obsolescent items only obtainable in the VoG.

Furthermore... I want Fatebringer. Even if the new raid HC does more damage. Fatebringer, that's just too cool, I want it in my collection. Plus, the new gun could have totally different mods/implications for PvP. So even the prospect of it being "obsolete" to some extent wouldn't discourage me for a minute in still trying to pursue it.

The content of your comment was referencing my post. Which post you quoted while commenting on my post is irrelevant.

I've been running flawless raids for god knows how many hours the last week or so and I haven't died a single time. I've helped tons of first-timers learn the ropes because it's fun for me to help people learn. I know every square inch and every minuscule mechanical detail of how the raid is supposed to function. While there have been portal glitches before, the precise nature and frequency of the current Atheon glitches is 100% new since the patch. Your previous post was completely incorrect, which is why I said you had no idea what you were talking about.

My post was correct with reference to what I and SlenderBeans were talking about. Maybe you should have worded your post better because I'm still unsure of what you actually meant.

Its true, I haven't been able to finish hard mode because of the increased frequency and emergence of new bugs.
No fun allowed right?Right?

patchday

What do people think Bungie is going to do to convince new players to keep raiding the VoG instead of going right to the new moon raid?

Bungie won't have to lift a finger. VoG starts at L26. New raid probably start at L29. Players will probably do Bungie's job for them and won't allow 'lowbies' into their teams. Kinda like how hard raids work now

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nightfall done...dismantled Legendary for my troubles. At this point, I just look forward to it for the XP boost, and anything extra is just that.

Is anyone feeling like this is all very...monotonous? I think, finally, with nearly 200 hours played, fatigue is kicking in. The gameplay is starting to lose its charm.

Soon Sunset Overdrive will be downloaded, and next week some of my friends will be using COD for their multiplayer fix...my dedication and fascination with Destiny may be strained.
mm, monotony is the opposite of what you be getting out of any gaming experience. Definitely sounds like it's at least time for a break!

Deku Tree

Bungie won't have to lift a finger. VoG starts at L26. New raid probably start at L29. Players will probably do Bungie's job for them and won't allow 'lowbies' into their teams. Kinda like how hard raids work now

New Normal Moon raid is level 28. Hard Moon Raid is level 32.

Atheon teleporting only one player into the portal :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZImIBq047Y

5 back to back flawless raider runs, Atheon glitched EVERY time - 2 player teleports, no player teleports, no relic spawn and lastly 1 player teleport.

We had to wipe everytime to reset the glitches. Yesterday's patch makes Flawless Raider impossible to achieve.

We're at the gatekeeper's again...

Wish us luck.

Atheon says hi.

dengatron

1) I never, ever gather more than one or two upgrades' worth of mats (16 or 32) at one time. It's great for, say, a 22-minute episode of something, or just killing time while waiting for a fireteam to pull together. I have a route I like for all four mats now (well, I could use some help with Helium), and honestly find it kind of relaxing and enjoyable :X I've taken off to do something else long before tedium/boredom set in.
2) 30-45 minutes can get you WAY more than 15-20 mats! Happy to show you routes sometime if you like :)

Hmmm... the progression is obviously true with regard to light. How do you know the hive raid legendaries will have higher damage than the previous ones? It would be really awesome if they were actually equivalent but with raid/race specific perks instead. Cosmetic reasons for the armor pieces should be legitimate ones, though- the game is desperate for a transmutation system.

Regardless: the Vex Mythoclast is an exotic, which will still be desirable- then there's Timebreaker and Chatterwhite (if you somehow didn't manage to pick it up) and the ship as four unique, non-obsolescent items only obtainable in the VoG.

Furthermore... I want Fatebringer. Even if the new raid HC does more damage. Fatebringer, that's just too cool, I want it in my collection. Plus, the new gun could have totally different mods/implications for PvP. So even the prospect of it being "obsolete" to some extent wouldn't discourage me for a minute in still trying to pursue it.

i don't know for certain that they'll have a higher damage cap, but, the only reason to increase the damage on mythoclast as a buff to increase it's viability in the next tier of raiding, is because logically you'd assume the next tier of raid legendary items also have higher attack. they said they wanted it to tail into the next raid better than other weapons, and to me the verbage of tail into tells me they're going to be bigger and better items with higher damage totals and higher potential. i expect 320-330 to be the number mythoclast ends up with.

and yes mythoclast is the only thing i currently care about from the raid, outside of maybe a praetorian foil, and this only pertains to pve since pvp balance has nothing to do with damage yet. fatebringer with explosive rounds on ruins kids time. they can't aim at all. it's great.

pieman

Neo Member
Had several 2 player teleports before the latest patch. Very frustrating, must be very tough if you are going for a perfect run.

SnakeEyes

Banned
GAF, need help!

Im 4 rare Fusion Rifles short. Did Tiger Strikes, nothing. Checked the GunSmith, nothing (every 3 hours)....

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...
Keep doing Tiger Strikes. I have Fusion Rifles pop up very often, both from the Engrams but also as pre-decrypted items.

LiK

If only Bungie would test this shit patch out before pushing it onto us. They wanted to rush it out the door and now it's made Atheon even worse.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
i don't know for certain that they'll have a higher damage cap, but, the only reason to increase the damage on mythoclast as a buff to increase it's viability in the next tier of raiding, is because logically you'd assume the next tier of raid legendary items also have higher attack. they said they wanted it to tail into the next raid better than other weapons, and to me the verbage of tail into tells me they're going to be bigger and better items with higher damage totals and higher potential. i expect 320-330 to be the number mythoclast ends up with.

and yes mythoclast is the only thing i currently care about from the raid, outside of maybe a praetorian foil, and this only pertains to pve since pvp balance has nothing to do with damage yet. fatebringer with explosive rounds on ruins kids time. they can't aim at all. it's great.
well the mythoclast is an exotic, it needs to be compared to other exotics rather than other raid gear alone. I thought the mythoclast needed its PvE buff just to be a more awesome OP gun in PvE

man somebody made thorn

ethomaz

Banned
Helm is a Hard only drop. That person is mistaken or maybe it was a glitch luck.
Helm was the first armor drop I got from Raid... normal.

After that I got two chests, two gloves, one other Helmet before to get the boots on Hard.

So yes... Helm is not exclusive to Hard... using this logic Boots is exclusive to hard :D

PS. I guess I have pictures... I will check.

LordofPwn

What if bungie decided to raise the VoG raid to 32 and have 32 lvl gear drops? then people could still play it.

unfortunately the raid progression system will render all gear from a previous tier of raiding obsolete, unless they add a visual swap system in the game. hive raid weapons will have a higher max than 300 damage, and raid armor will carry you to 32 instead of 30. there's absolutely no point to do vault of glass outside of cosmetic reasons if you're already 30, or even 29. it's the same problem mmo's have had for decades and will continue to have because with further progression, you demand further power increases, which negates the need for earlier items.
Source?

Also, the exotic gear we possess today should get an upgrade so we can take them to lvl 32! I be damned if my current exotics which I have worked my ass off for will become obsolete!

Who said anything about lvl 32 gear? my understanding is that doing the story missions in the DLC will give you light levels and not the gear itself. The only weapon i know of that will be over 300 is the Mythoclast, and if the new raid stays similar to the current one, the exotic you get from it will also be over 300. but thats it.

patchday

Rage is still simmering, but I'm glad to see quite a lot of you agree that the materials grind is ridiculous. It just seems so broken, conceptually. Why would you want to fill your overworld(what's the correct term for the planetary surface in destiny?) with people engaging in a super solitary grind for materials. There's not a single social hook, in fact the way it handles chest looting makes it even more anti social. There is no benefit to running chest/mat nodes in a fireteam since it simply serves to slow you down since node drops aren't shared and you need to call them over to every drop, it triples travel time for a full fireteam. Other players not in your fireteam are even worse since you're not even aware of the chest/nodes they find, and they despawn really quickly too. An other player doing a run in the same area you're running is an annoyance, and that feels wrong to me.

Furthermore the amount of materials required to upgrade even a single item can require a multiple hour time investment. I can probably gather the materials to upgrade 1 to 3 items in an hour of incredibly boring solo grinding, but I'm also really OCD, know all of the chest spawns and know a bunch of methods to increase my output. Someone playing this game casually stands no chance of gathering the required materials without looking up specific farming runs, and that feels wrong to me.

But yet it still compounds, because items require a variety of different mats in varying amounts. It's really hard to keep track of exactly how many of a specific item you need without resorting to writing it down, and writing it down just makes the grind stand out much more. It's no fun coming to the conclusion that in order to use the weapons you raided for, and spent several hours playing pve&pvp to level up are incapable of leveling up without a significant added time investment in content that is utterly unenjoyable, anti-social, and of dubious value, and that feels wrong to me.

Every item you acquire is worse than what you already have unless you spend a significant amount of time gathering the 4 required resources. There is no way to recoup those resources, no way to gather them more efficiently and they're all earned in a very specific fashion. You cannot choose which content you engage with, you're forced to engage with all of it. This would not be an issue if all of the content was enjoyable but the majority of the content isn't that great and forcing people to engage with it for several hours to make use of items they received feels wrong to me.

I feel like at it's core the end game is badly planned. You run the nightfall, the weekly, the raid on tuesday and you spend the rest of the week waking the hive and boosting around a planet staring at bushes. If you're short on ascended materials you may run a daily, but that's rare since you're raiding the vault of ass and you're probably swimming in them. That kind of feels wrong to me.

You should not make content valueless in a game that's short on it, yet that's what Bungie does time and time again. It stretches across so many things too. Bounties lose their value unless you're grinding rep or have a weapon/armour to level. Patrols are pointless if you're at rep lvl 3. The endgame content is only good once a week, the entire story is pointless except for the daily mission. Strikes serve no purpose once you've got a full set of legendaries and all the shards you could want. And the bushes aren't worth anything if you don't have an item that requires mats. (Never going to happen). Once the casual playerbase that has stopped making progress weeks ago drops off to COD you'll literally have nobody left playing anything besides the daily mission and pvp. And the people left are probably going to run everything on tuesday and shelve the game for a week until they get bored of even doing that. This feels super wrong to me.

Every single activity should offer up a goddamn smorgasbord of rewards. Mats/Engrams/Rep/Marks. All of them. Every single goddamn one. They should offer more if you do them in a fireteam, that'd be the goddamn strongest social hook you could possibly have. Shards and energy shouldn't be rewards. Just drop a weapon or an armour piece, it will get dismantled and the net result will be the same, just with slightly less dissapointment. It's not like fixing the endgame is some goddamn complicated feat of wizardry. Just increase the reward for engaging in your content Bungie. Picking up plants and opening chests should never be required, the fuck is this game? a chest opening simulator or a first person shooter? You should be flooded with mats so trading them in for rep seems like a sensible option and becomes a viable alternate means for rep progression. The loot system is robust enough that dropping more items is a logically sound idea. Increase the variety in stat distribution and perk assignment and you'll have a system where every weapon is a possible upgrade and there is no best in class. Combine that with a sensible grind to unlock a weapons potential and you have goddamn digital crack.

Right now though, Bungie has got nothing but digital asscrack. And I'm losing faith in their ability to rectify it. They haven't even identified the materials grind as being a problem and that is deeply disturbing to me personally. It seems like they're in way over their heads and are honestly clueless on how to fix this game. I wish they'd listen to me, just slightly, just enough to atleast evaluate what the hell they're doing.

yeah those stupid mats should drop from Crucible, etc. And we should be able to get green loot from Crucible too. That way we can dismantle them. Had fun trying to level up gear on my alt that I basically leveled up in Crucible. So he had like no 'sapphire wires'

Yeah, I farmed relic iron for an hour earlier. I only got 108 of them in that timeframe because a bunch of dudes kept ruining my farm. I upgraded my light/beware one pip to 300, my atheons epilogue 4 pips to 300 and my armour one pip. I'm already out of relic iron again. I have like 15 more pips on assorted gear ready to go just waiting on relic iron. Your advice is kind of moot man. What I can gather in 22 minutes isn't even going to make a fucking dent in the stuff I'm trying to level up. It's beyond terrible and there is no excuse.

Had several 2 player teleports before the latest patch. Very frustrating, must be very tough if you are going for a perfect run.

2 players is still fine because on normal one of the two players can deal with oracles and prevent a wipe, while the third player can jump into the portal manually and help if required.

1 player teleport is insta-wipe. By the time outside team can have the portal back up, oracles overwhelm the teleported player.

Sure, we've seen a video of one player solo the portal, on hard even. But that would have taken tons of practice runs to perfect, can't expect that from us when this shit happens randomly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom