• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordofPwn

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-29-destiny-the-dark-below-expansion-content-revealed

base level cap of 20 likely wont change until destiny 2, so until then light level will increase in gear. think of expansions in destiny like raid patches in wow. each raid gear item levels rise, while base level cap stays the same. it's an increase in power through gear, and this will be the same. again, damage caps raised is an assumption, but at least it's an informed one based on every other mmo ever.

I only ask because this...

from Kotaku via Activision
Find Eris in the Tower to take on special quests that include three new missions where you will increase your Light and earn new rewards

A_Gorilla

Banned
Fucking T-mobile....

Anyway, I'm now ready to finish my Hard Atheon checkpoint. If anyone else is interested, my PSN is El_Bombastico.

Deku Tree

I suppose there's no chance of more than one patch dropping per week? Really want to see that weapon buff patch, not to mention something that fixes (some?) of the current issues.

Bungie doesn't fix or acknowledge bugs, they just fix cheeses and their fixes create even more bugs.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, I farmed relic iron for an hour earlier. I only got 108 of them in that timeframe because a bunch of dudes kept ruining my farm. I upgraded my light/beware one pip to 300, my atheons epilogue 4 pips to 300 and my armour one pip. I'm already out of relic iron again. I have like 15 more pips on assorted gear ready to go just waiting on relic iron. Your advice is kind of moot man. What I can gather in 22 minutes isn't even going to make a fucking dent in the stuff I'm trying to level up. It's beyond terrible and there is no excuse.
Right, yeah, that's 5 upgrades' worth, I could never do that all in one sitting. sorry that there were dudes ruining your farm. my advice was not intended for you (or, I guess, wasn't really advice at all- just saying how I play personally), I apologize for giving that impression.
Yep. Mats were only an issue for me once while trying to get helium for a chest and gun. I was being very conservative with my estimates so as not to get anyone's ire up, it really is easy. Mats should be fun to get is the real point. If it starts to fell like a grind then stop, do something else for a bit or play another game for a while. Your stuff will still be there waiting to be leveled when you come back. I feel like too many people are starting to treat the game like a job in many ways, thats always a recipe for a buzzkill.
*nod*

Essentially, while obviously I can understand how gathering 100+ mats in one sitting is absolutely mind-numbing tedium, I merely elect not to do that and so far it suits me just fine. A 20-40 mat session is really quick- and I pick up "kill stuff," "get drops," and "assassination" missions, and do any public events that pop in the area too. I've never continued doing it long enough to get bored. I like that there are a range of "intensity levels" for progression activities in this game, and mat/patrol stuff is perfect for when I can squeeze in some remote play on Vita, watching something on my other screen, half-asleep-no-reflexes-phase before crashing, etc.- times when I do still feel like playing but without the adrenaline rush and concentration required of Crucible or a Nightfall, or the coordination of a Raid.

Gotta clarify here: please don't think I'm saying it's an illegimate complaint to say the material farming is horrible/tedious/boring/unacceptable or that there should be no other routes of material acquisition (I really like the idea of mats having a chance to drop from dismantling greens found on that planet, or as extra Crucible match rewards from the planet the map is on). That's perfectly valid and if it has substantively affected your experience it's something I want fixed regardless of how much it affects me. Again, just stipulating how I play personally.
I do also understand the compulsion some have though. There's always that itch. I think my worst game moments so far came from forcing myself to do strike after strike until I had the 5 coins I needed for the Suros last weekend. I can see how if you were in that mindset that the game becomes work. That work was worth it for the Suros though. I can tell you I will never do it again, well, unless Xur has Ballerhorn this weekend. Lol.
Other than "play," I try to be very cognizant of any gaming-related compulsions and avoid them at all costs. I've seen what they can do to people's free time habits and even their entire lives.

When I sit down to play a videogame, I've already elected to do something I'm going to enjoy with that time period. If I'm not having fun or getting bored, or upset (outside of the moment frustration of failing my role in a raid, losing a Crucible match, etc. of course), for any amount of time, then I remind myself I should be spending my time doing something else. I keep my expectations measured and also try not to burn out from pure overexposure. Put a fuckton of time into this game guys, but it's not the only thing I'm playing either XD

I suppose there's no chance of more than one patch dropping per week? Really want to see that weapon buff patch, not to mention something that fixes (some?) of the current issues.

Bungie's lazy asses dropping more than one patch in a week?! Haha.

They can't even be bothered to fix the actual "bugs" still present in the game, especially in the Vault of Glass. Too busy looking to find ways to bone players and tell them this is how you're supposed to play.

dengatron

I only ask because this...

from Kotaku via Activision

yeah from the eurogamer list of things it says that eris only gives you the story missions. getting 2 light levels from story missions seems too good to be true however, and would almost completely invalidate the need for a set of raid gear from the hive raid outside of visual purposes. all the damage increases to a specific enemy are on the weapons outside of more supercharge on gloves and more orbs on helm, which honestly aren't that big of a bonus.

I never, ever gather more than one or two upgrades' worth of mats (16 or 32) at one time. It's great for, say, a 22-minute episode of something, or just killing time while waiting for a fireteam to pull together...
This is my approach as well. If I end up with a bunch of gear that needs upgrades all at once, I'm perfectly fine to let one or more sit unupgraded for a couple of sessions.

My post was correct with reference to what I and SlenderBeans were talking about. Maybe you should have worded your post better because I'm still unsure of what you actually meant.

I'm glad we agree about something: you don't understand. My posts have been very clearly worded but require prior knowledge from the reader. There is an important distinction between glitched and non-glitched portal mechanics.

You flippantly made an incorrect and inconsiderate post then refused to acknowledge the simple mistake. Please don't respond to any more of my posts and I will extend you the same courtesy.

Its true, I haven't been able to finish hard mode because of the increased frequency and emergence of new bugs.
No fun allowed right?Right?

The sad thing is I've still been having fun hanging with you guys and talking shit, haha. Maybe it's the sleep deprivation. Speaking of which, shouldn't you be asleep? What time is it... ?

Hey, Bungie:

22 clears combined and no fucking Corrective Measure.

12 hard mode clears and no Praetorian Foil or Mythoclast.

Fuck yourselves.

jaaz

Man, it's quite salty in here. Hope Bungie's reading. These are the die-hards and once you start to loose those...

Ambitious

I got the Venation III from the Nightfall, a legendary Dead Orbit hand cannon. Apparently it's got the same stats as The Devil You Know, except for the magazine size (8 instead of 12). It does even have the Explosive Rounds perk, though the other perks are nothing special.

Not sure what to do with it. I had actually planned to buy TDYK this week. I guess I'm going to either dismantle it or keep it for my alt.

Jito

Banned
Fuck kill the target events, it's impossible to do by myself and no one ever turns up. Been sat in the buried city waiting for the event to start for a good few mins and no other players came by. Either matchmaking sucks or Bungie wants me playing by myself most of the time in their "shared world" game.

Did you at least get the Fatebringer?

I got the fatebringer and the praedyth's timepiece in my first hard mode run.

<3 the timepiece. Haven't messed with the Fatebringer yet. No need when I have The Last Word.

Also, got the Hard Light from that left chest in the maze today. How shit is it?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This is my approach as well. If I end up with a bunch of gear that needs upgrades all at once, I'm perfectly fine to let one or more sit unupgraded for a couple of sessions.
mhm, I have two exotics maxed, and Gjallarhorn needs two more ups (and I think I actually lucked out on spirit bloom while doing a 6-venus-patrol mission last, so I may already have enough for it), and the Devil You Know is about 70% upgraded. I'm perfectly okay with that being the result of my time spent so far. Yes, of course I have plenty of weapons I still want to upgrade, but their time will come. I've chosen the ones most important to me to work on first and it's really satisfying to go down the list and max them out over time.

In earnest... not to trivialize the importance of weapon upgrades at all- they certainly do make a big difference- but I mean outside of the hard mode raid where something like a maxed Gjallarhorn can make or break an encounter... I mean, it's an FPS. That difference in DPS will just be a few more shots instead of a few less, an extra 30 seconds to your complete time, one more synthesis, whatever it may be. Not life or death.

JayEH

Looking to get a normal raid group started on PS4. Looking to start ASAP. Experience please.

Respond here and send a FR to RedViperN7.

Gordon

Leveled my Hard Light up to it's stability perk last night. Took it to the Crucible for the first time today. There's just no way around it. Auto rifles are going to dominate Destiny unless it's completely reworked. There's no point in nerfing auto rifles to shit - might as well just accept it and throw in some weapon-restricted playlists.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Man, it's quite salty in here. Hope Bungie's reading. These are the die-hards and once you start to loose those...

Its just a matter of time. Literally everything they have implemented under the guise of 'that's not our vision for how to play destiny' has been some bullshit designed to slow down player progress. Based on how they're treating VoG strategies and exploits and just their general enemy design, whoever was responsible for any good A.I. in the past is long gone and Bungie is fucking clueless.

Leveled my Hard Light up to it's stability perk last night. Took it to the Crucible for the first time today. There's just no way around it. Auto rifles are going to dominate Destiny unless it's completely reworked. There's no point in nerfing auto rifles to shit - might as well just accept it and throw in some weapon-restricted playlists.

I guess this partially answers my question.

I've heard very mixed reviews on this thing and just got it. Huh.

Fuck kill the target events, it's impossible to do by myself and no one ever turns up. Been sat in the buried city waiting for the event to start for a good few mins and no other players came by. Either matchmaking sucks or Bungie wants me playing by myself most of the time in their "shared world" game.

For some reason, the devil walker or warsat always have a bunch of people, and those are the ones I can do on my own. The kill the target always pops up when it's an empty area and it really is impossible unless you have a gjallihorn. His shields regen faster than I can reload. I think it may be that the target guy spawns in the extra boring areas that don't overlap story missions and have bad chest loops.

We have had one drop out so looking for 1 to raid on normal starting 8:30 uk which is in 2 hours 15 minutes. Ideally 28 or above with raid experience and a mic:

Looking to do raid on normal tonight / today at 8:30 UK / 4:30 eastern US.

PSN Megabroon

1. Megabroon (29 Warlock)
2. Lazykarl24 (29 Hunter)
3. Seep_UK (29 Warlock I think)
4. AbandonedTrolley (29 Warlock)
5. Jignxs
6.MrChowderClam

Edit: Full!

Cheers for the quick finish. Got myself a Gjallerhorn and another raid armor for my warlock. Plus another Vision of Confluence (that makes 3 now lol...). My alt warlock officially now has a higher potential level than my main titan does lol. This game's fucking RNG man...

Zakalwe

Banned
Going to set up another Flawless run on Friday night 8pm gmt. If any of the guys from today could make it it would be great, we had a good team and a sound strat.

I must enjoy pain.

As much BS is in this game right now, I'm still sticking with it because I think it's fun. I'll play it through the end of the year and see if Bungie will smarten up and acknowledge their fanbase. We've been voicing many complaints and they claim they're "listening to the community" but we all know that's not true at all. They're arguably masters at their craft when it comes to FPS, but they look like a bunch of amateurs with this game.

Gordon

I got the fatebringer and the praedyth's timepiece in my first hard mode run.

<3 the timepiece. Haven't messed with the Fatebringer yet. No need when I have The Last Word.

Also, got the Hard Light from that left chest in the maze today. How shit is it?
Well the only other auto rifle I've used was a Shingen, but with it's stability upgrade the Hard Light is solid in PvP. I was quite pleased. It's not Suros though. It won't be taking down scout rifles at range.

Sigh, Destiny needs to do something to keep me for next week. I am literally sitting on my couch browsing the internet with my PS4 and TV off. I am debating doing the paper I have due tomorrow (university) to avoid playing Destiny. .

I'm glad we agree about something: you don't understand. My posts have been very clearly worded but require prior knowledge from the reader. There is an important distinction between glitched and non-glitched portal mechanics.

You flippantly made an incorrect and inconsiderate post then refused to acknowledge the simple mistake. Please don't respond to any more of my posts and I will extend you the same courtesy.

692.gif

Whatever.

OK so, if I did normal raid up until the templar and stopped (before killing it-- he was glitching us), can I still join someone else's normal raid from scratch? Or can I only start from the templar this week?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
mehhh. let me know if you want my counterargument to this, I'd prefer to send if via PM.
For some reason, the devil walker or warsat always have a bunch of people, and those are the ones I can do on my own. The kill the target always pops up when it's an empty area and it really is impossible unless you have a gjallihorn. His shields regen faster than I can reload. I think it may be that the target guy spawns in the extra boring areas that don't overlap story missions and have bad chest loops.
I've done a couple of those solo with pocket infinity. Feels gooooooodman. Tough though, they are some of the nastiest mobs in the game.

About to try the raid for the first time. I'm nervous as shit.. Hope I don't screw this over and they kick me out. I'm scared of the platforming sections the most.

Holy shit they wanna play it on Hard. I'm so screwed I'm 29 though. This is gonna be so fantastic. I'm really really scared. Why? Why?

unless there going for a flawless run dont worry about the platforming. you can try again and again without hurting the party, with the excetion of thier patience. but even then its pretty entertaining watching people fall to there death over and over.

I can solo them if I have some heavy ammo synthesis. I once solo'd the target (on Mars) without using a heavy once, thanks to Helm of the Third Man and Arc Blade. The Fallen target in the rocketyard is practically impossible to solo since he teleports and regens shield while doing so.

LordofPwn

yeah from the eurogamer list of things it says that eris only gives you the story missions. getting 2 light levels from story missions seems too good to be true however, and would almost completely invalidate the need for a set of raid gear from the hive raid outside of visual purposes. all the damage increases to a specific enemy are on the weapons outside of more supercharge on gloves and more orbs on helm, which honestly aren't that big of a bonus.

But if by having this new raid set for lvl 32 it pretty much makes all current gear worthless for PvE. But if by doing these story missions you can get items to boost current gear then great, i can work with that. but having a set of legendaries that are better than all current exotics makes exotics not exotics and fragments the legendaries further. I think they should label/color the raid items differently to better differentiate them anyways, but whatever.

mehhh. let me know if you want my counterargument to this, I'd prefer to send if via PM.

Just say it man. We're all cool here.

I've done a couple of those solo with pocket infinity. Feels gooooooodman. Tough though, they are some of the nastiest mobs in the game.

You just convinced me to finish the PI bounty that I've had taking up a slot for the last two weeks. Nightfall - Here I come!

Edit:
I can solo them if I have some heavy ammo synthesis. I once solo'd the target (on Mars) without using a heavy once, thanks to Helm of the Third Man and Arc Blade. The Fallen target in the rocketyard is practically impossible to solo since he teleports and regens shield while doing so.

Never thought of burning a synth pack to do it. It usually takes me a while of failing at something before I even remember that I have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom