• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchday

Should I even try the Vault of glass at lvl 24. It's listed as 26 so I figured I could push my way through with a good group but I don't want to hold people up. It's going to take me some time to get even to lvl 25 and I'm tired of doing the same thing over and over.

I have about half a vanguard level and I have lots of marks to get some more light when I get there.

I started on my Hunter when he was 26. I cant recall being a burden to the team or anything. If anything, the only thing that may hold you back is lack of knowledge more than anything

[edit] but dont do it at 24. You wont do any damage and you'll die in like 1 hit. I know a team that tried and they had to boot the L24

benjammin

I hate you and Grats. Seriously. This loot system can Fuck off. I have yet to get a legendary or exotic handcannon to drop. And they're all I use.

I hadn't got a single legendary weapon drop after 26 levels and then got the devil you know from hitting vanguard level 3 and Hawkmoon from a tiger strike within a week of each other. Your time will come!

Shoutouts to Hawkian and all the other Raiders who take the time out to teach new players the vog. It takes a special person to have the patience and goodwill to help others through the content that they've already mastered.

I went through the raid for the first time last week and it really helped to have a buddy willing to show me the ropes and it's good to see folks willing to help out those who aren't as fortunate.

breakfuss

It's amazing how the Raid groups made up of younger players(around 13-15) seem to be more likely to actually listen to any friendly advice you give them in comparison to the older crowd. I was standing bored in the tower when I got a message from someone to help their group out in the normal Raid, and since I had nothing better to do, I joined them.

When I found out they were just kids I admit I got worried, thinking that the raid was going to be chaotic and a massive clusterfuck, but it actually ended up being one of the smoothest raids I've ever done. I taught them the best ways to handle the different stages of the confluxes and oracles, I made sure everyone got lots of practice with the relic during the Templar fight, we got through the whole of Gorgon without being spotted(the first pug group I've been in that has ever done that), we beat the Gatekeepers on our first try try(again, first time I've ever done this with a pug group) and after a few wipes, we took down Atheon.

All this, without any cheeses, because they told me before the Raid started that they wanted to properly learn the Raid's mechanics, which almost brought a tear to my eye.

Maybe I lucked out, and RNG favoured me with a group of highly talented young players, but even then, it was by far a better experience than with any pug group full of older "experienced"(and I use that word very loosely) players that I've ever been in. Having not to wipe multiple times at the Gorgon's because of people being convinced their flawed method of getting through the maze was better was a great welcome, I must say.

Tl;dr Don't be afraid to join raid groups made up of younger players, they will probably be much more fun to play with.

Haha, I curse way too much (especially on hard) to ever team with a group of kids. That was really cool of you, though.

I hadn't got a single legendary weapon drop after 26 levels and then got the devil you know from hitting vanguard level 3 and Hawkmoon from a tiger strike within a week of each other. Your time will come!

same. My first legendary weapon was from doing the raid at level 27.

anyone up for a weekly or nightfall?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Running through Strikes with my group of super lucky friends with all the hand cannon exotics and Atheon Epilogues and ALL THE GUNS I WANT while i pick away at upgrading this fucking Raid Scout rifle that I absolutely despise...

An exotic engram drops ... seriously?? finally?? FOR ME!!???

Icebreaker.

whateverbitchimout.gif

Zakalwe

Banned
Running through Strikes with my group of super lucky friends with all the hand cannon exotics and Atheon Epilogues and ALL THE GUNS I WANT while i pick away at upgrading this fucking Raid Scout rifle that I absolutely despise...

An exotic engram drops ... seriously?? finally?? FOR ME!!???

Icebreaker.

whateverbitchimout.gif

Exotic engrams don't exist as drops, do you mean legendary turned into an exotic?

PS: VoC is a great gun.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Shoutouts to Hawkian and all the other Raiders who take the time out to teach new players the vog. It takes a special person to have the patience and goodwill to help others through the content that they've already mastered.

I went through the raid for the first time last week and it really helped to have a buddy willing to show me the ropes and it's good to see folks willing to help out those who aren't as fortunate.
yup yup, totally mastered the raid. raid master over here, 100%!

oh god what have I done

hahaha I'm still getting there myself, but sincerely thanks for the shout out. I consider the Vault of Glass to be some of my all-time favorite multiplayer content and I definitely want everyone to have a shot at experiencing it. And playing (and even dying repeatedly) with GAF is the most fun I've been able to have with Destiny too, so it's really not quite that selfless.

I should warn my group (2 hours to launch), in all seriousness, this will be MY first time leading a raid, so please forgive the inevitable lemmings-off-cliff moments and wrong turns here and there. I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't feel confident with each section at this point, but let's just say some more than others ;)

Nightfall boss is 1-2 hits away from death if anyone wants to reap the benefits on an alt or simply hasn't done it yet this week.

Only have room for 1. I'm on ps4

I'll add the first person that responds.

Xamdou

Did the raid yesterday and all i got was that Warlock legendary raid brace and more shards even though I really needed the raid helmet or chest. I just hope Xur sells either the exotic Warlock headgear or chest just so I can spend my shards properly to lvl up to at least lvl 29.

http://kotaku.com/destinys-atheon-is-still-a-big-dumb-idiot-1652800539

You know, there was a time when Bungie created really thrilling, challenging shooters full of emergent gameplay and memorable moments.

There wasn't really any great trick to it. They just gave the player a ton of fun mechanics and tools to use, dropped them into scenarios with plenty of opportunity to use them, and put them up against combinations of enemies that had access to most of the same tools (or equivalents) and were smart enough to use them effectively.

You want to win? Use your own tools intelligently and skillfully.

That's it. That was all it took.

Now where are we. 'Challenge' is defined by random bullshit. A final boss isn't difficult by virtue of the tools at his disposal or his ability to use them effectively to counter your own, he's difficult by way of big bullet sponge, being surrounded by enemies that show no AI beyond 'march straight toward players and overwhelm with numbers or explode on contact' or - and this is even better - do NOTHING but merely exist and wait for a timer to kill everybody regardless of line-of-sight. And just in case you thought teamwork was a satisfying element, nope, we added another random element to rob that from you too.

Instead of obsessing over fixing all the ways players find around fighting against this boss Bungie, why don't you focus on making a boss that's actually fun and thrilling to fight against and defeat 'properly'? Why don't you try getting back to making battles that feature smart enemies that flank and retreat, and support each other, and complement each other, vs waves of faceless cannon fodder that only serve to distract from the large, barely mobile, personality-devoid boss characters.

/rant

Ok, one thing I will say, I do appreciate what Bungie tried to do conceptually with some of these boss fights. They basically tried to add a bit of Zelda-style 'puzzle-boss' elements around the core shooting. Conceptually, that's a great idea, and more over, the specific 'puzzles' they created aren't bad either. But the bosses aren't fun to play against and neither are the adds, and that's BEFORE you factor in glitches and rampant connection problems, so it's no wonder people are by-passing all of Bungie's creative design in effort just to get through it for the gratification of the loot drop.

coy

My RL friends have some scummy shitstain gaming buddies that I cannot tolerate any longer. I have gamed with GAF, joined the clan and all, but I would mainly play Destiny with these friends. Unfortunately, they also game with others sometimes but fuck is it a chore to even be around folks like them. I've let my buds know all this and that I will be shifting more of my time to playing with ppl from GAF instead. Had to get that out thanks.

That's not to say my week in Destiny has not been fortunate. Got Monte Carlo as a Crucible drop (immediately vaulted), Nightfall rewarded me with Thunderlord (needed an arc heavy badly), a legendary heavy engram turned into a solar Swarm, and another engram for helmets turned into the last remaining piece to replace the blues on my 26 altlock. Also got the raid towel for my titan alt which is snazzy. Hope the in-game luck continues even if the social aspect took a nosedive.

Matush

Is Fatebringer any good? I don't usually use Hand Cannons (already have TDYK), but that Arc demage is nice to have in Primary Weapon Class.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You're doing Gods work. Any chance of you or one of the raiders livestreaming?
Would be fun to watch. ; )
Suppose I could. I should really start streaming more, I can't believe how simple it is. though this would probably magnify the likelihood of embarrassment many times over I imagine.

I don't know how/if I can make everyone's voice from chat appear on the stream though, so it might just sound like me talking to nobody :p

Steroyd

Is Fatebringer any good? I don't usually use Hand Cannons (already have TDYK), but that Arc demage is nice to have in Primary Weapon Class.

It's fucking awesome, enemies explode when precision damage kills, and as you say arc damage in the primary slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom