• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent

Finally, after 9 raids I got gloves to drop. They have intellect and strength but I'll take it. Level 30 here I come. Xur better have an exotic warlock helmet tomorrow as well. Need something better than Light Beyond Nemesis.

http://kotaku.com/destinys-atheon-is-still-a-big-dumb-idiot-1652800539

You know, there was a time when Bungie created really thrilling, challenging shooters full of emergent gameplay and memorable moments.

There wasn't really any great trick to it. They just gave the player a ton of fun mechanics and tools to use, dropped them into scenarios with plenty of opportunity to use them, and put them up against combinations of enemies that had access to most of the same tools (or equivalents) and were smart enough to use them effectively.

You want to win? Use your own tools intelligently and skillfully.

That's it. That was all it took.

Now where are we. 'Challenge' is defined by random bullshit. A final boss isn't difficult by virtue of the tools at his disposal or his ability to use them effectively to counter your own, he's difficult by way of big bullet sponge, being surrounded by enemies that show no AI beyond 'march straight toward players and overwhelm with numbers or explode on contact' or - and this is even better - do NOTHING but merely exist and wait for a timer to kill everybody regardless of line-of-sight. And just in case you thought teamwork was a satisfying element, nope, we added another random element to rob that from you too.

Instead of obsessing over fixing all the ways players find around fighting against this boss Bungie, why don't you focus on making a boss that's actually fun and thrilling to fight against and defeat 'properly'? Why don't you try getting back to making battles that feature smart enemies that flank and retreat, and support each other, and complement each other, vs waves of faceless cannon fodder that only serve to distract from the large, barely mobile, personality-devoid boss characters.

/rant

Ok, one thing I will say, I do appreciate what Bungie tried to do conceptually with some of these boss fights. They basically tried to add a bit of Zelda-style 'puzzle-boss' elements around the core shooting. Conceptually, that's a great idea, and more over, the specific 'puzzles' they created aren't bad either. But the bosses aren't fun to play against and neither are the adds, and that's BEFORE you factor in glitches and rampant connection problems, so it's no wonder people are by-passing all of Bungie's creative design in effort just to get through it for the gratification of the loot drop.

yea the encounter design is shit and the whole game comes down to grinding to luck into a better gun or a higher level. but when i have that stuff it's supposed to make the fight more manageable, thereby simulating some of that "thrill" and "challenge".

i don't see the point in half-playing for carrots anymore.

Suppose I could. I should really start streaming more, I can't believe how simple it is. though this would probably magnify the likelihood of embarrassment many times over I imagine.

I don't know how/if I can make everyone's voice from chat appear on the stream though, so it might just sound like me talking to nobody :p

With update 2.0, party chat members can now be heard during a livestream! Drop a link.

ethomaz

Banned
I'll add you.

I have an Aetheon checkpoint Hard save that I'll be trying to round people up to finish (legit or cheese, I don't have a preference :p).
I have the Atheon Hard checkpoint too... I want to finish it... invite me when you start... lvl 30 Warlock.

psn ethomaz

Spawnling

Our mentor Bungie bounty will be starting in roughly an hour. I expect you all to be online searching against us. Control is the game. See you on the field!

ocean

Banned
MikeHawk and ComputerMK, and the rest of the guys, thanks for the good game! I'd never gotten that far on Hard. I had fun! I'm On my way! back home again, I hope you guys have managed to get through Gatekeepers :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Ganhyun

I wish I'd never gotten the DLC ahead of time.

My willingness to keep playing this has been growing more and more distant. Each "patch" for the "bugs" just makes the game worse and worse by not fixing actual bugs, but instead adding more. The patches are more for forcing players to do the raid exactly how Bungie wants them to do it instead of actually fixing bugs. Players use the outside columns that enemies shoot at them from to shoot the boss and not die? Take it away. Players figure out that the base mechanic is to have three strong players stay by the back wall so they always teleport so that parties have roles? Take it away. I wont condemn taking away the knocking Atheon off the ledge as obviously it was unintended.

But, with the extreme lack of content (for whatever reason) already, and the DLC basically being nothing but overpriced cash grabs, I expect I'll be moving away from this game sooner than I expected. I honestly expected to have this game be my goto game for months, picking up DragonAge 3 after a price drop, and maybe a few other games as well. Now, I expect I'll go buy the new CoD game and DragonAge 3 new and drop Destiny altogether. Its a sad day when a "CoD story campaign" has more story than Destiny.

I no longer recognize this version of Bungie. Did all the people who gave a shit about the things that made Bungie good just leave and go to 343 Studios? Did someone from Activision come in and break their spirits? Either way, I doubt I buy a game from them again anytime soon.

E92 M3

I can't believe I only played Destiny for 20 minutes and had enough :(

This patch better come out soon, because baby we're drifting apart.

Strider

I can't believe I only played Destiny for 20 minutes and had enough :(

This patch better come out soon, because baby we're drifting apart.

I turned on my PS4 today to play then thought... "What am I doing? I'd rather play Sunset..."

I still like Destiny but the changes aren't coming quickly enough :/ And I really want the new content/DLC already.

Kaiken

Banned
Wish we can trade glimmer at least. Although I enjoy helping people out, being a hired Guardian sounds much more enticing.

Carn82

I've played destiny since launch but haven't attempted the Raid yet. I wonder if that's good or bad with the constant patching of things, I will probably enjoy it anyways because I've never done it pre-patching.

Deku Tree

The raid and rng is telling me to delete my level 2 hinter and create a second warlock alt. grind to level 20 then boom 29 in 2 seconds with exotic helm and two pieces of raid gear.

Is the Arc Epitaph 2261 offered by the Vanguard Quartermaster decent? Lacking in Arc Weapons and have marks to burn.

I can't remember the mods off hand but I think you can choose between a stability upgrade and field scout.

I think it's one of the few vendor bought legendaries that I still regularly use. I actually bought it twice for two characters due to being light on arc weapons.

E92 M3

I turned on my PS4 today to play then thought... "What am I doing? I'd rather play Sunset..."

I still like Destiny but the changes aren't coming quickly enough :/ And I really want the new content/DLC already.

Pretty much. I'd play Sunset if I wasn't so beat from work. I love that game - been so long to play something that is truly an old school video game. Reminds me of the Dreamcast/OG Xbox days.

I got the Vex Mythoclast. :O

Congrats - it's one of my favorite weapons as it's widely known lol

colinp

Banned
I've played destiny since launch but haven't attempted the Raid yet. I wonder if that's good or bad with the constant patching of things, I will probably enjoy it anyways because I've never done it pre-patching.

Same! I'm not in any big rush, either. Having great fun playing it my own way.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Same! I'm not in any big rush, either. Having great fun playing it my own way.
You two will be in great shape for one of my weekly thursday raids when you're ready! (if you're on PS4 ;_;)

blackflag

Wow all you people getting Fatebringer tonight....I hate you.

The game won't even give me that.

And also, as anyone here that's ran the raids with me(casmith7509) can attest, someone always gets Last Word or Hawkmoon when I'm in the raid...ALWAYS...but it's never me.

RNGESUS WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN NE

maomaoIYP

Doing the void crucible part of the thorn bounty with a maxed 77 wizard is a GODSEND. I finished half it within 3 games of control.
I've always been a shotgun dude but after getting a 15 kill streak with this monster alone I'm a new man.....

micah

Damnit to hell.

2nd Time beat raid in hard. They give me the legendary sparrow and 6 shards.

1st time it gave me 2x vision of confluences...when I already had one. I think it hates me. :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom