• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydruxo

yeah i actually wanted patience and time.

people get upset when he sells stuff that they already bought
people get upset he wont sell something he already sold and that they missed out on.

yall shoulda bought the gjallarhorn when he sold it the last time, cheaper than the suros

He had Gjallarhorn the first week. Most people weren't high levels yet. Not to mention, nobody really knew how good of a weapon it was until weeks later.

I'd have bought it if I had the coins & if I had known it was so good.

Yeah, but are most people going to use P&T outside of the occasional Arc burn weekly/nightfall? I doubt it will replace IB for most other situations. People are disappointed because they wanted TLW or Gjallarhorn since it would probably become the main exotic they equip.

Disclaimer:
I bought P&T from Xur today.

I can only speak for myself but my issue has never been with the weapon he's sold. I'm annoyed on principle that the same armor pieces are being sold over and over again while a couple pieces are never getting sold. For example, there are only two exotic chests for Warlocks and yet only one ever gets sold. Sun Breakers three times in the amount of weeks Xur had come at that point was ridiculous. If it's truly random, it's a really shitty random generator. That may be a disingenuous comment but I've experienced many a random generator in my time and haven't ever seen so much repetition. You see it with the Strike playlist too, doing the same strike three freakin times in a row.

Iceman829

Anyone looking to do a normal raid this afternoon on xbox. I'll be getting home in about 30-45 minutes and wouldn't mind getting shafted on some drops with my alts.

Ok I have a question does anyone know what controls the exotic bounties?

I've done pretty much done everything in this game, lvl 30 warlock ext... But i have never had one?

I'm not overly fussed just find it weird.

Yikes, that's weird.

I think it's just purely random but you should've at least had one by now.

Greenymac

I have a Hard checkpoint at Gatekeepers. Anyone up for it tonight?

Ive got a checkpoint too Javier. Same spot. I should be around.What time are you talking? If you get this message pm me or send me a psn message. Thread moves too fast for me to keep up at work.

Namikaze1

Basically. He's actually selling a new weapon this week and people are complaining more than when he sold the Suros again.
People just want Hypehorn. Should have bought it when it was on sale really. I for one am glad it's a new weapon this week. Last week should've been Last Word's week though.

Eyeron

Hi all. If anyone is planning a normal raid tonight, I'd love to join. Still haven't run it yet.

28 Sunsinger with TLW, Pocket Infinity, Ice Breaker. I have a headset/mic. Please save me from another night of material farming. :/

PSN: Eyeron80

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I can only speak for myself but my issue has never been with the weapon he's sold. I'm annoyed on principle that the same armor pieces are being sold over and over again while a couple pieces are never getting sold. For example, there are only two exotic chests for Warlocks and yet only one ever gets sold. Sun Breakers three times in the amount of weeks Xur had come at that point was ridiculous. If it's truly random, it's a really shitty random generator. That may be a disingenuous comment but I've experienced many a random generator in my time and haven't ever seen so much repetition. You see it with the Strike playlist too, doing the same strike three freakin times in a row.

While I do hate that the same pieces are being sold multiple times because it offers no benefit for me, for other players who couldn't buy the items before, either because they couldn't afford it, or wasn't able to log in those 2 days that it was available, or didn't have a particular class at that time, it is useful. Imagine if it was a straight rotation. So, if you miss the ghorn on week 2, then you'd have to wait 3 months before it came around again. That sucks. I didn't even have a warlock all the times Xur sold the Sunbreakers, so I hope he sells them again!

Shito

I don't know why people are always raging over Xur.
Guy is selling RANDOM exotic pieces, to help people fill in our collection / get some of those if we're being too unlucky with loots / bounties.
It is not meant to magically spawn the one piece of armor or weapon you're missing or so desire. It is a backup mechanic. If he happens to be selling something of interest, fine, but if not, well, there's always next week.
I reaaally want Gjallahorn, and some more warlock armor pieces for my alt, but I also actually don't want him to sell those *right now* because those things are currently what is keeping me interested in playing the game. Selling different things each week would mean people would gear up at an insane pace, which would only worsen the already abysmal lack of content in the game.
Be patient guys.
Your time will come.
In the meantime, enjoy the weeklies, the nightfalls, the coop with your friends and play other games as well.

#rant

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Yikes, that's weird.

I think it's just purely random but you should've at least had one by now.

I will go to my grave believing that the chances of getting an exotic quest greatly improves if you (a) turn in 3 or more quests at once and (b) turn in the bounties AS FAST AS YOU CAN CLICK. I've received so many exotic bounty offers that I purposefully click slower so I don't have to bother to accept/abandon the exotic bounty quest line. I'm definitely over 30 exotic bounties offered so far.

M3Freak

Banned
I'm 27. Issue your verdict.

But, you didn't say if it's very fun or not. :p

No. But PSO and Destiny are roughly in the same subgenre.

Which explains why I'm not enjoying Destiny as much as I thought I would. That being said, I still play for an hour or two almost everyday. But, it's almost always Crucible games.

This is a terrible, just god-awful, approach as a consumer. If nothing else, you have learned a valuable lesson for future purchases right?

Hold your horses for a minute. Don't make assumptions! I usually take note of upcoming games and then look a bit into what they're about. If I see something that sounds interesting about that game, it goes on my "to buy" list. I avoid trailers and try not to read too much about them. Invariably, those trailers and articles will contain something that I would consider a spoiler which lessons the "holy shit!" impact I would get if I experienced that something for the first time IN THE GAME.

With Destiny, I watched a couple of trailers and read maybe a couple of articles. That's it. I knew Bungie was behind it and I knew they'd done Halo, so I was sold. I don't think I made a mistake in my decision process.

Shit happens. I've been burned like this before. I used to buy games developed by Insomniac blindly. I won't do that anymore: after the huge disappoint of Resistance 2 and a couple of Ratchet and Clank games that simply did not live up to their previous efforts, I now have to do some research before I deicde to buy.

Shito

I will go to my grave believing that the chances of getting an exotic quest greatly improves if you (a) turn in 3 or more quests at once and (b) turn in the bounties AS FAST AS YOU CAN CLICK. I've received so many exotic bounty offers that I purposefully click slower so I don't have to bother to accept/abandon the exotic bounty quest line. I'm definitely over 30 exotic bounties offered so far.
I can safely say my experience with them strongly goes against your theory.
Shit is pure random, that's all there is to it. ^^

Got 4 exotic bounties, all of them while clicking slowly, and 3 out 4 were on my first returned bounty.

Deku Tree

If you do that then don't you always accidentally pick up the first exotic bounty whenever you get it and lose the change to pick up the other two?

lunlunqq

I know. I have 20 strange coins but I think the piece of armor Xur has will be one I purchased a legendary version of from the Vanguard, meaning I wasted the marks and should have waited.
Sorry. I was a tard bit late to warn you about that last night. Keep you're coins for now. Next week Xur will bring in something else. An Helmet would be a better choice for your first exotic anyways.

ThisOne

Is there really any point in owning and/or upgrading more than one piece of exotic armor (chest, helmet, arm)? They take so long to upgrade that it just seems pointless to replace my fully upgraded exotic helmet with an non-upgraded exotic piece of armor from Xur. Is there something I'm missing here?

Wow, I actually did good in a game using Hard Light. Because of the crazy recoil even with perfect balance it's RNG if you can land headshots after the initial round and I think rngesus smiled on me that time.

It has really good dps if you can keep it steady but shit is hard. It should kick around a bit less. It's effective range is in fusion rifle one shot territory

I really wish they were doing more for Halloween than just the pumpkin head things. For a community-based game you'd think they'd have more fun stuff.

And they really need to do more things like the Queen's stuff and Iron Banner. I thought they'd really bring out the big guns in the coming weeks with all of the competition coming out in November, but instead they're just throwing some overpriced DLC at us in December?

I still like this game a lot but I'm wondering if I'll be playing it still by then.

I don't think it is completely random tbh, and I'm not saying you can't be disappointed (last week he didn't have anything I didn't already have), but I don't get the hate. He's selling exotics, just not always ones you want.

SkylineRKR

Yeah when he had the Horn I wasn't even ready for Weekly heroics yet. I could never have enough coins to get it.

But I am VERY satisfied with Patience and Time. Its a combination of my other 2 snipers. It has the handling of Praedyth, and the hard hits of Ice Breaker. I was never lucky enough to get a Queen sniper so this will do.

I was working on Pocket Infinity but put that one on the back burner for this one. I really should create alts...

Deku Tree

Is there really any point in owning and/or upgrading more than one piece of exotic armor (chest, helmet, arm)? They take so long to upgrade that it just seems pointless to replace my fully upgraded exotic helmet with an non-upgraded exotic piece of armor from Xur. Is there something I'm missing here?

You might want to have several different builds based upon the weapons you are using or based upon your play style. I bought the titan exotic chest piece today because I want to level up this week and I don't want to wait for next friday or RNG for a chance to get an exotic titan helm and to get to 27-28 with my Titan, and I am not starving for strange points. It also means I can wait for the exotic titan helm that I really want instead of taking the first one that comes along.

Fixed1979

Just the different bonuses they provide. I have 4 exotics for my Titan (only the two helmets have been completed leveled up) just for collecting purposes originally, but once they're all leveled up I'll try a couple builds out depending on what bonuses the armor has.

Ambitious

I have a Hard checkpoint at Gatekeepers. Anyone up for it tonight?

That's the part where we stopped yesterday. It was getting late, and nobody felt like finishing the raid, so we were just fooling around in the jumping puzzle area, trying to find secrets.

So if you still need someone, I'd join. In how many hours would that be?

J-Rzez

:lol I don't understand why there's so much hate for Xur today.

Some people are upset he didn't sell an item he once sold. Others, like myself, are tired of him selling the same item types over and over, sometimes even the same exact weapon.

They really need to work on their RNG/loot system if they want people to come back for their DLC packs. Which I find their packs to be "OK" content to price wise on paper, but this being a "MMO" people generally expect more from their updates.

dB Viper

Can someone PLEASE explain to me how Raid checkpoints work?

My alternate character has beaten the Normal raid before, but not this week. Someone tried to give that character the Hard Templar Oracle checkpoint, but it didn't work. We all wiped, waited for the oracles to spawn, I left and then checked and no checkpoint? This Alt hasn't beaten on hard before (it has, but not a full run, only atheon cheese) but that shouldn't matter?

Why isn't it working?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
But, you didn't say if it's very fun or not. :p
Some of the most fun I've had in years; it rather explicitly reminds me of the early Dreamcast era playing stuff with friends on a 56k modem and staying up, you know, just one more hour, until it's 4:30am.
Which explains why I'm not enjoying Destiny as much as I thought I would.
makes perfect sense-
That being said, I still play for an hour or two almost everyday.
...oh, haha, well, that's something to be said for it as well.

Hold your horses for a minute. Don't make assumptions!
Okay, well, I apologize. This direct quote:
I bought Destiny on Bungie's name alone.
Led me to believe that you didn't necessary even know what genre the game belonged to.
With Destiny, I watched a couple of trailers and read maybe a couple of articles. That's it. I knew Bungie was behind it and I knew they'd done Halo, so I was sold. I don't think I made a mistake in my decision process.

Shit happens. I've been burned like this before. I used to buy games developed by Insomniac blindly. I won't do that anymore: after the huge disappoint of Resistance 2 and a couple of Ratchet and Clank games that simply did not live up to their previous efforts, I now have to do some research before I deicde to buy.
You still feel as though you didn't make a mistake in your decision process, considering that your premise is that Destiny is "not very fun"?

As a consumer, the best thing you can do to both ensure value in money spent and avoid disappointment is to be informed. Marketing will attempt to universally attempt to sell you the product of your dreams regardless of existential quality; going in blind ensures that your odds of being completely disappointed are multiplied exponentially, because you will always- even subconsciously- have expectations that are likely to be unmet unless you know what to expect.

I don't think it is completely random tbh, and I'm not saying you can't be disappointed (last week he didn't have anything I didn't already have), but I don't get the hate. He's selling exotics, just not always ones you want.

I don't think people would be so annoyed if there was a thing you could do outside of the one chance (or 3) you get at an exotic with the Nightfall. There's the raid too but with the amount I've done I've only received one. To a lot of people it's like, "Will I get something new to play with or am I going to be doing the same shit this week?"

LordofPwn

He had Gjallarhorn the first week. Most people weren't high levels yet. Not to mention, nobody really knew how good of a weapon it was until weeks later.

I'd have bought it if I had the coins & if I had known it was so good.

It was the 2nd week. Red Death was the 1st week, Suros was the third. and Gjallarhorn was only 17 coins.

Shito

It was the 2nd week. Red Death was the 1st week, Suros was the third. and Gjallarhorn was only 17 coins.
I was far from having 17 coins on his second showing.
I didn't even learnt about him before the third week, I was too busy slowly progressing to level 20 for caring for end game stuff yet.

"Should have bought it the first time" is cute, but people can have good reasons for missing previous deals.

CornDogg

Destiny isn't exactly what I imagined it'd be, namely due to how the story was handled and the overall lack of content, but I'm still having a lot of fun with it and play as much as I can.

There are some pangs of disappointment at times, because I don't think the execution at launch lives up to the game's potential, but I by no means regret my purchase. I'm eagerly anticipating that first expansion!

J-Rzez

where's xur and please tell me he's selling a handcannon. or gjallarhorn.

Lol.

He's down by the crucible guys.

I can't even get Xur to sell me an Exotic handcannon in the game. I wouldn't think they exist if it weren't for my friends, people in matchmaking, and those gloating in here about them.

This isn't my first "MMO" or "loot" game. But i'll be damned if the loot system doesn't suck balls in this game.

Kalamari

I don't think it's random either.

Armaterrarium just became the new Sunbreakers!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
At this point I certainly have not seen anything to indicate it's not a completely random roll.

He has five slots to roll for each week.

Chance of any specific titan armor piece: 1 in 6
Chance of any specific warlock armor piece: 1 in 6
Chance of any specific hunter armor piece: 1 in 6
Chance of any specific weapon: 1 in 12
Chance of any particular exotic engram type: 1 in 3 (? Assuming they can only be armor, which they have so far. It's technically possible but unlikely that he has weapon engrams in there.)

Let's think about Sunbreakers. There have been 8 rolls so far. In 3 of them, there were Sunbreakers. Voidfang Vestments, 2 out of 8. The other 3 were each a unique piece; Skull of Dire Ahamkara is the only Warlock piece to have not appeared so far, despite "so much" repetition.

Another way to look at it is: it feels like Sunbreakers have appeared soooo much because the "warlock exotic armor roll" has hit "gauntlets" 3 times, but there is only one- Sunbreakers. The Armamentarium has not only appeared the same amount of times, it's also appeared 3 times in a row. There's just less rage over that because 1) it's a most versatile exotic piece in general, and 2) there is another Titan exotic chestpiece, which he has also sold.

Random through and through until proven otherwise.

Lol.

He's down by the crucible guys.

I can't even get Xur to sell me an Exotic handcannon in the game. I wouldn't think they exist if it weren't for my friends, people in matchmaking, and those gloating in here about them.

This isn't my first "MMO" or "loot" game. But i'll be damned if the loot system doesn't suck balls in this game.

Well, he can only potentially sell one. Your chances are already low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom