• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was far from having 17 coins on his second showing.
I didn't even learnt about him before the third week, I was too busy slowly progressing to level 20 for caring for end game stuff yet.

"Should have bought it the first time" is cute, but people can have good reasons for missing previous deals.

It's not even cute. No different than stock traders saying "you should have bought Apple stock in Dec. 2002 when it was 0.97 cents/share."

No one can predict the future and to hold it against gamers in the 2nd week of release borders on elitism.

You need to focus on getting rares with more and more light until ur 24 then you have a better chance for legendaries
But marks are still the best way to go

Thanks for the reply. I'm just going to keep farming public events to get marks and hope to get some good rare drops along the way.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't think people would be so annoyed if there was a thing you could do outside of the one chance (or 3) you get at an exotic with the Nightfall. There's the raid too but with the amount I've done I've only received one. To a lot of people it's like, "Will I get something new to play with or am I going to be doing the same shit this week?"
Okay, so I don't necessarily disagree with this at all- but what is your idea? What's the thing you should be able to do get a guaranteed exotic?

I wish there were more Exotic bounties- I think they're a wonderfully implemented idea for all the whining about them. You know EXACTLY what you're getting and what you have to do, but the requirements aren't so simple that you're just handed the weapon and/or "just anyone" can get it. The fact that some people still haven't gotten a single exotic bounty is a real problem though.

I have to say, even taking my ridiculous, unprecedented-in-my-gaming-life luck getting Hawkmoon out of the equation, I haven't found my rate of Exotic acquisition to be particularly stingy. I've been able to afford almost everything I've wanted that Xur has sold, by taking concrete effort, have done every Exotic bounty, and had two lucky drops from Nightfalls (along with a duplicate of the MIDA Multi-tool dropping for me in the raid).

I think it's a tough balancing act. If there were another concrete way to get exotics, it's pretty likely I'd have them all already and I'm not sure that would increase my enjoyment.
Well, he can only potentially sell one. Your chances are already low.
This. There's one. It's a 1/12 chance each week. I want it too guys.

Jito

Banned
I hope today's weekly goes in-depth on the PVE changes. I am dying for that info.

Hopefully covers big PVE changes coming and new events next month. Not holding my breath though, bet it'll be another recap on why they changed the raid.

LordofPwn

I was far from having 17 coins on his second showing.
I didn't even learnt about him before the third week, I was too busy slowly progressing to level 20 for caring for end game stuff yet.

"Should have bought it the first time" is cute, but people can have good reasons for missing previous deals.

And thats fine, but that also sounds like an excuse. I missed out on Suros the first time and red death, they eventually had them back. just be patient, it'll take time... and that's the truth.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Hopefully covers big PVE changes coming and new events next month. Not holding my breath though, bet it'll be another recap on why they changed the raid.

I'm looking forward to hearing that the Bad JuJu and Thorn buffs are coming sometime in a future update that can't be specified, and that things are currently working as intended.

At this point I certainly have not seen anything to indicate it's not a completely random roll.

He has five slots to roll for each week.

Chance of any specific titan armor piece: 1 in 6
Chance of any specific warlock armor piece: 1 in 6
Chance of any specific hunter armor piece: 1 in 6
Chance of any specific weapon: 1 in 12

Let's think about Sunbreakers. There have been 8 rolls so far. In 3 of them, there were Sunbreakers. Voidfang Vestments, 2 out of 8. The other 3 were each a unique piece; Skull of Dire Ahamkara is the only Warlock piece to have not appeared so far, despite "so much" repetition.

Another way to look at it is: it feels like Sunbreakers have appeared soooo much because the "warlock exotic armor roll" has hit "gauntlets" 3 times, but there is only one- Sunbreakers. The Armamentarium has not only appeared the same amount of times, it's also appeared 3 times in a row. There's just less rage over that because 1) it's a most versatile exotic piece in general, and 2) there is another Titan exotic chestpiece, which he has also sold.

Random through and through until proven otherwise.

Some items might not even be in the rotation.

Someone figured out a way to solo atheon hard again, warlocks only of course and its a bit more difficult than before. You have to charge your super up completely (die to atheon until you do, if you get teleported pick up the shield or you lose super power). Having Heart of Praxis fire helps in spamming more grenades:
http://youtu.be/c_Zb1Z9X_rU

that said this way is gonna be pretty tough imo, if you mess up you have to wait/die a while to recharge your super. Still, its more fun solo'ing atheon than trying to kill him with all his bugs.

Bizazedo

Soon? No. It's during the next Iron Banner which no one knows when it is returning, most likely a while from now at the current event output rate.

I'm still banking on it coming out after the expansion, the new level 30 gear still being useless due to this, and them going "What? Why are you mad?"

I want to be wrong, though.

While I do hate that the same pieces are being sold multiple times because it offers no benefit for me, for other players who couldn't buy the items before, either because they couldn't afford it, or wasn't able to log in those 2 days that it was available, or didn't have a particular class at that time, it is useful. Imagine if it was a straight rotation. So, if you miss the ghorn on week 2, then you'd have to wait 3 months before it came around again. That sucks. I didn't even have a warlock all the times Xur sold the Sunbreakers, so I hope he sells them again!
How is this worse than not selling an item at all? Sure it sucks if you miss an item because you went out of town that weekend but at least everyone had the opportunity. If the item is never sold at all, no one gets the opportunity. A rotation is far better than what we've experienced so far but I wouldn't mind if they occasionally repeated one of the more popular items, just don't spam them three times in short succession most especially when you haven't given the alternative armor piece the time of day. Also, I'm only talking armor pieces right now of which there are not very many and it would not take long to rotate through them all. Weapons are another beast because there are so many and they rate at different prices based on if they are a primary or not.
I don't think it is completely random tbh, and I'm not saying you can't be disappointed (last week he didn't have anything I didn't already have), but I don't get the hate. He's selling exotics, just not always ones you want.
It's annoying but I can deal with him not selling what I want just yet, what annoys the crap out of me is that there is literally only one other option from the lock chest I want and it has been in the store 3 times and in close succession of each other while Praxic isn't going in at all. Then I see the same Titan chest in there for the third time in recent weeks. It's the principle of how terrible the supposed random generator is, spamming repeats and I have my doubts on how random it truly is when Bungie had a poll for what people wanted and then the top vote, Suros, immediately follows. If a lock helmet that had only been in the store once thus far was there today, I'd be disappointed because I don't want it and want Praxic, but I wouldn't get annoyed like I did with Voidfang.

E92 M3

Actually now that I think about it, it might be some dumb Halloween inspired story about the traveler dressing up as a pumpkin.

Ateron

Lol.

He's down by the crucible guys.

I can't even get Xur to sell me an Exotic handcannon in the game. I wouldn't think they exist if it weren't for my friends, people in matchmaking, and those gloating in here about them.

This isn't my first "MMO" or "loot" game. But i'll be damned if the loot system doesn't suck balls in this game.

The Last Word is baller, that feeling of being able to stop 2-3 minotaurs in the vault by yourself, hip firing and dodging bullets like a ninja, oh boy..

Your time will come,all you need is patience and some time

I've been wanting a Hawkmoon for weeks, but can't get one to drop. Same for epilogue, even though I got VoC, which is pretty damn good. It's just the way it is unfortunately. The Horn is probably the best gun in the game and that fucker sold it when most didn't even have the coins to buy it, or even knew about the existence of Xur. We just have to wait until he sells it again, or rely on RNGesus. The loot system is flawed as fuck, but it is what it is. It's up to Bungie to change things, for instance I wouldn't be against a token system for the Vault. You go in, kill bosses, clear checkpoints and get tokens accordingly. Then you decide on what to spend them.

That missing vault armor you really need, or that Epilogue you're missing. That way you eliminate the frustration of having to clear everything just to get a duplicate of something you already own. It's bad enough to coordinate 5 other people in something as time consuming as the vault, but to do it to come out empty handed knowing that you have to wait another full week for a CHANCE of something dropping is ridiculous. Either implement a token system or let us farm the vault. Creating 3 chars is not a reasonable proposition (not all your friends will do it, not all of them will want to raid with you knowing they won't get shit). I have 2 hunters just for that, and apart the coin boost and double nightfalls I haven't been able to raid more than once. Not to mention that I would love to try out the warlock or titan classes but the game forces me to have clones so I have better chances of finding gear I can actually equip. It's a flawed system all around.

Alucrid

Banned
Can someone PLEASE explain to me how Raid checkpoints work?

My alternate character has beaten the Normal raid before, but not this week. Someone tried to give that character the Hard Templar Oracle checkpoint, but it didn't work. We all wiped, waited for the oracles to spawn, I left and then checked and no checkpoint? This Alt hasn't beaten on hard before (it has, but not a full run, only atheon cheese) but that shouldn't matter?

Why isn't it working?

i think you had to wipe and respawn again after the oracle phase started

I hope today's weekly goes in-depth on the PVE changes. I am dying for that info.

Things we know are coming:

- Big update been in cert for 2+ weeks (based on weekly update)
- Exotic Weapons buff/balance (Based on several updates)
- Voice Communication during Matchmaking (Based on multiple updates).
- Strikes damage bug (Based on Dev notes)
- Suros nerf (based on Weekly Update)
- Mythoclast buff (based on weekly update)
- Vault of Glass bug fixes (acknowledged on reddit that bungie is aware at least)
- More bounty space (based on patches notes tease)
Just kidding, that's paid DLC.

The Dark Below DLC was also announced/teased this week, so I'd expect that to get some of the update.

breakfuss

Xur's current offerings are pretty weak for me as well, but I remain a big fan of the randomness. It's more exciting this way lol. And like others have mentioned it gives folks who missed something another chance. I couldn't afford Suros when it debuted so last week was freaking awesome! Now I'm waiting for ice breaker and sun breakers to come back, though I imagine that will piss many of you off.

The Halloween sparrow thread on bungie.net is going to tear itself to pieces if the weekly update doesn't drop either a clue hinting that some sort of hidden Halloween content exists, or a definitive answer that there is nothing other than what we already know. I am impressed at how many variations of missions, strikes, etc with the Halloween shit has already been attempted. Maybe we have to rank up our cryptarchs to 666 this weekend. That would be about right.

void666

Banned
Xur's current offerings are pretty weak for me as well, but I remain a big fan of the randomness. It's more exciting this way lol. And like others have mentioned it gives folks who missed something another chance. I couldn't afford Suros when it debuted so last week was freaking awesome! Now I'm waiting for ice breaker and sun breakers to come back, though I imagine that will piss many of you off.

I'm ok with it being random. But he shouldn't sell stuff he already brought last week.

E92 M3

Things we know are coming:

- Big update been in cert for 2+ weeks (based on weekly update)
- Exotic Weapons buff/balance (Based on several updates)
- Voice Communication during Matchmaking (Based on multiple updates).
- Strikes damage bug (Based on Dev notes)
- Suros nerf (based on Weekly Update)
- Mythoclast buff (based on weekly update)
- Vault of Glass bug fixes (acknowledged on reddit that bungie is aware at least)
- More bounty space (based on patches notes tease)
Just kidding, that's paid DLC.

The Dark Below DLC was also announced/teased this week, so I'd expect that to get some of the update.

Yes, I want exact details and dates! So tired of being teased.

Is p&t worth it? I know it's good for pvp but how does the cammo perk work?

From what I've read about it this morning, the camo perk isn't useful because there's a red laser that other gamers can see so the camo doesn't work well in PvP and apparently it's not that great against the computer either but that may have more to do with the fact that it takes a few seconds to kick in. What makes the gun good is it's ridiculous stability and high impact. I also really like the radar active while zoomed in perk. It's a great sniper so really all you need to ask yourself are two things: 1. Do you already have another sniper just as good or better? 2. Do you already have a great Arc weapon for when there's Arc burn in the weeklies? I personally have an Arc version of The Supremacy which is a great sniper so I may pass on P and T but am waiting to compare the two in-game.

Fitts

We're in the middle platform almost killing atheon HM. Relic holder gets disconnetcted...

This is the exact reason why I'll (probably) never attempt flawless raider. I could care less about the trophy, but the challenge sounds cool until you consider the unavoidable connection issues/glitches.

The Last Word is baller, that feeling of being able to stop 2-3 minotaurs in the vault by yourself, hip firing and dodging bullets like a ninja, oh boy..

Your time will come,all you need is patience and some time

I've been wanting a Hawkmoon for weeks, but can't get one to drop. Same for epilogue, even though I got VoC, which is pretty damn good. It's just the way it is unfortunately. The Horn is probably the best gun in the game and that fucker sold it when most didn't even have the coins to buy it, or even knew about the existence of Xur. We just have to wait until he sells it again, or rely on RNGesus. The loot system is flawed as fuck, but it is what it is. It's up to Bungie to change things, for instance I wouldn't be against a token system for the Vault. You go in, kill bosses, clear checkpoints and get tokens accordingly. Then you decide on what to spend them.

That missing vault armor you really need, or that Epilogue you're missing. That way you eliminate the frustration of having to clear everything just to get a duplicate of something you already own. It's bad enough to coordinate 5 other people in something as time consuming as the vault, but to do it to come out empty handed knowing that you have to wait another full week for a CHANCE of something dropping is ridiculous. Either implement a token system or let us farm the vault. Creating 3 chars is not a reasonable proposition (not all your friends will do it, not all of them will want to raid with you knowing they won't get shit). I have 2 hunters just for that, and apart the coin boost and double nightfalls I haven't been able to raid more than once. Not to mention that I would love to try out the warlock or titan classes but the game forces me to have clones so I have better chances of finding gear I can actually equip. It's a flawed system all around.

Not getting the exact item you want is a part of every loot game and that's ok. What's really fucked up about the system in the game is that your leveling is tied to a completely random system and you can theoretically play forever and never reach level 30.

phen0m24

Hey guys, I'm doing the 26 (not 28) Weekly with a 24. (last week was my Warlock 25) LOL

I'm doing the 26 because the 28 was just too nuts. I'm at the last checkpoint and was trying to do the "shoot at Nexus then turn around and shoot the Minotaur" thing from the upper cave. :) Tough without additional eyes or ears.

If anyone could pop on for 5 minutes of work and help me out, I would be most thankful, and I hope RNG gives you nice presents. I'm eyeing those 6 coins and a little P&T action.

If you've already done the 8, I guess you might only get drops - but I would bow in your general direction.

PSN: ColonelOCorn

Ambitious

Does anyone else need to kill Xyor for the Thorn bounty? I might be able to solo it, but the more the merrier.

Anyone know what the "plus button" on GAF does?

The one left of the "Quote" link, below the username? You can select multiple posts to quote with the plus buttons. Click on several of them and then click "Post Reply".

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Destiny isn't exactly what I imagined it'd be, namely due to how the story was handled and the overall lack of content, but I'm still having a lot of fun with it and play as much as I can.

There are some pangs of disappointment at times, because I don't think the execution at launch lives up to the game's potential, but I by no means regret my purchase. I'm eagerly anticipating that first expansion!
Yeah, this is roughly how I feel, although I legitimately didn't have any expectations outside of what I played in the beta.

The story is just the most hilariously awful misfire I've witnessed in gaming this side of Titanfall. It's almost completely inexplicable to me how threadbare and deemphasized it was. The Halo games were never narrative masterpieces, but they had memorable characters, hell named characters, a compelling protagonist and deutoragonist, memorable plot twists and some interesting explorations of the game's lore. But the only one of those that even made it into this game in a half-assed way is the last one. All the really interesting aspects are confined to the external Grimoire, which literally everyone I have heard from agrees is a bad idea.

All that said.. the story is deemphasized and honestly, the degree to which it sucked hasn't affected my enjoyment that much. Can anyone give me a rundown on what the plot was in Phantasy Star Online? Monster Hunter? Once you tell me, am I going to think "damn, I wish I'd paid more attention to that" or "haha yeah okay, not what I came for." Unfortunate a conclusion as it is to draw, Destiny isn't about its story.

There were maaaany features that could have helped it reach its full potential at launch that were cut or never implemented. One that constantly stands out to me is the lack of a grouping board in the Tower- exactly like in PSO or Monster Hunter- so that people who don't have easy access to friends who play or an online community like GAF would not have to rely on an external website/tool to find people to play with. This would be universally superior to blind matchmaking which I keep seeing people ask for. But it's just not there! There are of course many other things missing.

My thing is, Destiny at half potential is still one of the most compelling and addictive gaming experiences in recent memory, and it can only improve. The core is too strong for it to get measurably worse over time. And if you really get down to it a fuckton of you agree with me on this even if you don't realize it. we're on the 91st goddamn page of its ninth of and I bet a not-insignificant number of you are gonna buy the DLC right when it comes out too. this kind of shit just doesn't happen with bad games. it really doesn't. and before I get jumped all over about CoD or whatever multi-zillion dollar franchise is actually "shit," I will say that while those games are generally not my cup of tea. I understand that they have generally good core gameplay and a high standard in terms of production values. and regardless, on GAF especially it's a totally different scale.
How is this worse than not selling an item at all? Sure it sucks if you miss an item because you went out of town that weekend but at least everyone had the opportunity. If the item is never sold at all, no one gets the opportunity. A rotation is far better than what we've experienced so far but I wouldn't mind if they occasionally repeated one of the more popular items, just don't spam them three times in short succession most especially when you haven't given the alternative armor piece the time of day. Also, I'm only talking armor pieces right now of which there are not very many and it would not take long to rotate through them all. Weapons are another beast because there are so many and they rate at different prices based on if they are a primary or not.

It's annoying but I can deal with him not selling what I want just yet, what annoys the crap out of me is that there is literally only one other option from the lock chest I want and it has been in the store 3 times and in close succession of each other while Praxic isn't going in at all. Then I see the same Titan chest in there for the third time in recent weeks. It's the principle of how terrible the supposed random generator is, spamming repeats and I have my doubts on how random it truly is when Bungie had a poll for what people wanted and then the top vote, Suros, immediately follows. If a lock helmet that had only been in the store once thus far was there today, I'd be disappointed because I don't want it and want Praxic, but I wouldn't get annoyed like I did with Voidfang.
Did you see my post about the odds per slot? It... kind of sounds like you actually want it to not be a random/psuedorandom generator in favor of something that weights items which have not appeared recently, is that right?
Some items might not even be in the rotation.
Certainly true. I'm operating off of this list, for the moment, which hasn't yet been contradicted, but of course that only means so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom