• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
I wish they had something in PvE that would get you to 30 without relying on RNG. I'm kind of getting tired of all the PvP focus.
I guess next Queen event will have Light +30 gears too.

Well they are working to increase the level cap in the November expansion (1 month to go)... so everybody will be prepared to get the new gears to go above lvl 30.

That is my guesses... ohhhh and the new gears will be found only on the new Raid.

Deku Tree

What do you guys think about the MIDI Multi Tool? I just unlocked the second perk and the speed is nice, but is it worth it over the VOC (which I don't have yet)?

I love my multi tool. Fantastic weapon. I don't have the VoC... I might switch to the VoC if it ever dropped for me.

Over the weekend I was doing some strike missions with my buddies and at the reward screen I got my first exotic reward, Suros, which is awesome....except that I bought it the day before from Xur. I'll just keep it for my other character that I just started.

E92 M3

No primary exotic is worth an exotic slot slot over what an exotic in the special/heavy categories can give you. None.

(in PvE)

MIDA is fun, fast movement is cool and radar while ADS is nice. The VoC puts out slightly higher DPS (100-300 more) according to some comparison data. VoC also has solar damage and is not an exotic so it will destroy mobs when solar burn is active and it doesn't take up your weapon exotic slot. Overall the VoC is a better rifle.

http://www.destinygundamage.info/#/compare

VoC full auto + stability perk makes it an amazing weapon especially for precision shots. If you get it it would be better than the MIDA since it's also legendary thus freeing an exotic slot.

Thanks - guess I will just get all of the experience and upgrade it to the point where energies are needed.

VOC considered best cuz of full auto. I like the Mida for PVE. Not sure how it fares in PVP tho.

I'm strictly talking PVE. Unfortunately, don't venture into PVP much. It's so funny, before this game launched I thought if anything I'd be playing PVP the most.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Well they are working to increase the level cap in the November expansion (1 month to go)... so everybody will be prepared to get the new gears to go above lvl 30.

That is my guesses... ohhhh and the new gears will be found only on the new Raid.

Given the fact that light level gives a piece of gear 99% of its value (let's be honest, the perks on a piece of gear are far less useful), this is going in the wrong direction if someone can get top gear from the stupid Queens missions.

Have we had a full rotation of Nightfalls now? Excluding the PS Exclusive ones?

Yeah we've already started over. PS Exclusive isn't going to be make it into the rotation (thankfully). That one would be pretty hard.

Tovarisc

What would make them overconfident though?

How I should know, it just has been usually hunter or titan eating it before neither of our groups sunbros [me + another]. I'm not saying it's always Titan or Hunter and never Sunbro, but saying that Sunbros eat it first always is meh.

Especially when any decent sunbro should know those encounters / events for which you need to have that resurrection ready, just in case, should know better than play reckless with some goblin.

Or something.

EL CUCO

Sigh...I got one more Hard Raid left in me for tonight 9:00pm EDT, before the reset.

I'll gladly join up with an experienced team in need.

Forever 29 Warlock.
PS4

Midas

I'm sunbro and my experience is reverse in Hard VoG. Titans and Hunters biting the dirt first because they got overconfident against super hobgoblin or preto. Only times I really may need my resurrection is during Gatekeeper if I do misplay with relic against preto or get sniped to back during pick up.

Yeah, I'm not the one dropping first. Might've happend once, but it's mostly other players who aren't a warlock who goes first. At least when I play.

Jinjo

Have we had a full rotation of Nightfalls now? Excluding the PS Exclusive ones?

There are only 5 strikes in the game excluding the exclusive one. So yeah, starting tomorrow we'll be over halfway in the second rotation already.

sgb

PSN : Supermangb06 Feel free to add, just getting started on PS3, so far none on my friends list have this so could use some comrades.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So that guy is saying that Bungie packaged a collection of limited and repetitive content into a shooter with fantastic mechanics and they used the best psychological techniques available to hook us into an extremely mentally addicting reward system, and that is why we keep playing...
Yes. This is one of the best analyses of the game I have seen and it's worth watching. Absolutely fantastic work, and I'm pretty sure I agree with every word, If you are at all interested in what Destiny means, especially in terms of how it relates to game design as a whole (rather than just one piece of entertainment you might enjoy or not), I urge you to watch it. If you have for some reason desired my ranting thoughts to be delivered in the form of a youtube video, go here.

I love this part:
"I think the reason that Destiny is so contentious and really divisive is it's kind of one of the purest examples of what games are."

Destiny is one of the most "videogamey" games I've played in years. If you want a game to transport you- via character development, plot twists, esoteric design choices, unprecedented mechanics- into a state where you kind of forget that you're ultimately just wasting your time playing a videogame... Destiny is a failure flat-out. But as an entrant in the honest, up-front timewasters category, it's one of the best the world has ever seen. That's not to say by any stretch that it's a bad idea for games to aim high and attempt to do this- make you forget, even for the briefest instant, that you're even playing a game, or at least examine the act beyond the experience of doing so- but if the market was dominated by games that attempted to "be The Last of Us" or "be Spec Ops: The Line" or "be Journey," the bad games with that design ethos would be absolutely intolerable. Sometimes, it's okay for a game to be just a game.

I honestly got goosebumps when he started talking about what "genre" Destiny belongs to because I was 100% sure of where he was going. No, it's not an MMO. It's certainly not a standard online shooter either. I've said since launch that the game it reminds me most of, the game with the most similar core gameplay loop, is Phantasy Star Online. I apologize to anyone who loves that series' plot, but am I supposed to remember said plot? Did it have one? I remember the planet was called Rygel, I'm pretty sure. I think Mags were actually alive? *shrug*

Now, I fucking LOVED that game, I played it nonstop on a 56k modem on my Dreamcast which alone blew my mind. I remember falling asleep with school the next morning and waking up with the controller loosely still in my hands. it was just a blast. and Destiny makes me feel like THAT again. It's an itch that games don't often even attempt to scratch because it can go so wrong, and I think that a lot of the superficial criticism of it would argue that it did all go wrong in this case. That ultimately, Destiny is more of a missed opportunity than something special.

But just look, it's still October, we're in fucking OT9. I'm pretty sure someone about there will be immediately thinking, "bah! if the whole game wasn't filled with shit to complain about and get pissed at, we would never have been talking about it so much." But that's just not how it works. Bad games, failures, it's not continuous criticism that tells the tale. It's silence. People stop complaining about them, in that they stop talking about them altogether. That, as a developer, is your worst nightmare- far more than the most hateful vitriol you can conjure to toss Bungie's way. And GAF has not been silent on the topic of Destiny.

MADGAME

Looking to get past the Confluxes on Hard this evening Central Time (PSN). I passed on my main but stupidly did not transfer to my alt.

Looking to do Oracles, Templar and chests before Gatekeepers. 29 titan with maxed everything.

Hoodbury

Yes, Titan melee is terrible and I don't understand why when we're supposed to be the bruiser / melee types.

And shoulderblock sucks.

Urks me to no end when I always get out melee'd by those wimpy hunters and warlocks. I think the only way to fix it though would be to make it so titans melee kill in 2 hits while hunters and warlocks melee kill in 3 hits. But that would pretty much make melee useless.

Warlocks have range and hunters have mobility. Titans will almost always lose out in a melee dance.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Yeah, I'm not the one dropping first. Might've happend once, but it's mostly other players who aren't a warlock who goes first. At least when I play.

Because you're just the best ever.

Any update to when the anti-cheese patch is coming? Tomorrow is raid day again.

I am dreading tomorrow. This thread becomes non-stop begging for Atheon checkpoints and cheese. Also, random people from my friends list join my games any time I set foot inside a raid. Really getting tired of that.

Self-revive can hardly be considered an offensive super, can it?

What i do...

I'll die, wait for the bastard to turn his back on my corpse and i pop revive which puts me in radiance (or whatever it's called) and i instantly start spamming my double solar grenades turning wherever i died into the surface of the fucking sun... broiling on avg 1-4 of their team... so it kinda can be?

EL CUCO

Looking to get past the Confluxes on Hard this evening Central Time (PSN). I passed on my main but stupidly did not transfer to my alt.

Looking to do Oracles, Templar and chests before Gatekeepers. 29 titan with maxed everything.

This is exactly all I need. Basically the complete Templar encounter. I already cleared Atheon with my main. Unfortunately, the odds of finding someone for only Templar is about about as bad as finding a pair raid boots. Speaking of which, you get your set yesterday?

I just got vision of confluence this weekend on my first raid run. What's the best perks for it, stability or field scout? I've been using field scout, but haven't given the stability upgrade a try just yet.

LiK

Yes, Titan melee is terrible and I don't understand why when we're supposed to be the bruiser / melee types.

And shoulderblock sucks.

Yep, Titan Melee is weak considering we're the tank type. But I feel like we're both weaker defensively and offensively against Warlocks which is stupid. If I were to have a 1v1 fist fight with a Warlock, I would lose most often even when I get the punch in first.

Bizazedo

I agree 100%. I love shoulder charge but it needs some TLC. It's just to clunky to use right now to be reliable.
I don't understand why I can only shoulder block for a set time and then it fades away while I'm still running. Does my Titan get gassed? Does he need a better cardio work out?

Sigh.
Self-revive can hardly be considered an offensive super, can it?

The self-revive is definitely not offensive in PvE, but don't they also still get their offensive benefits from it whether they use it to self-revive or not?

Hmm is that really the case?

Can't remember which sub it is but one of the Warlock classes get's that shield after melee, basically letting them take the incoming counter melee with little risk and follow up with the final hit for the kill. Not to mention their melee has extended range.

Literally the only thing that is good melee wise on the Titan is the shoulder charge but that's not very helpful against people who are aware/group up.

I just got vision of confluence this weekend on my first raid run. What's the best perks for it, stability or field scout? I've been using field scout, but haven't given the stability upgrade a try just yet.

Stability, personally. Helps pulling off successive precision shots. Barely use all the mag anyway since I frequently reload. Don't use it in Crucible though.

Midas

Because you're just the best ever.

I am dreading tomorrow. This thread becomes non-stop begging for Atheon checkpoints and cheese. Also, random people from my friends list join my games any time I set foot inside a raid. Really getting tired of that.

Must be it!

Given the fact that light level gives a piece of gear 99% of its value (let's be honest, the perks on a piece of gear are far less useful), this is going in the wrong direction if someone can get top gear from the stupid Queens missions.

To be fair, it sounds like the Queen's stuff is getting changed even more than IB. If it is similar to the last time though, I agree with you.

gunawi

Nice one.

Hard Mode Rain tonight 8:30 UK / 4:30 Eastern US
1. Megabroon (29 Warlock)
2. Seep_UK (29 Warlock)
3. ZonySUX

Send me invite if you have spare... Im on your friends list already and we raided normal together last week. Upgraded my hunter legendary armors to 29 so I can do hard raid.

MADGAME

This is exactly all I need. Basically the complete Templar encounter. I already cleared Atheon with my main. Unfortunately, the odds of finding someone for only Templar is about about as bad as finding a pair raid boots. Speaking of which, you get your set yesterday?

We should party up. I'm sure we can find a few more. Getting past the Confluxes is a bit of a pain, but we can do it.

No, I was just monkeying around at the Gatekeepers yesterday. Saw you guys already had 6 so I didn't attempt to crash the party.

I'll be on by 5pm Central if you're interested, and am flexible with time.

Hawkian I mentioned to my friends super early on that Destiny was the new PSO.

It produces the same feelings in its feedback loop. It's very nostalgic, in a sense.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Unless the event is completely redesigned rather than tweaked, there is almost no chance of Queen's Wrath gear offering raid-tier light. Her legendaries were mainly intended for "early endgame" progression- a quicker, and more guaranteed, but time-limited approach to leveling from ~20-26.
Hawkian I mentioned to my friends super early on that Destiny was the new PSO.

It produces the same feelings in its feedback loop. It's very nostalgic, in a sense.
Totally... it's a weird kind of nostalgia too, I'm almost certain it's a stronger sensation than I would get if I actually went back and played PSO itself or PSO2. weird stuff

NastyBook

Got the Invective Bounty for both my Warlock and Hunter last week. Got the KDR part of the bounty for Warlock in about 3-4 matches. Was wrapping up my session last night with my Hunter and decided to try to get the KDR part of the bounty for her out of the way. First match I went negative, then I realized I was leveling up Bladedancer. Second match I went 24-10 and nearly got the bounty right there on the spot. Got in the next match with 3 kills at the beginning from the mighty Suros. That gun and that super make for a silly combination.

NeOak

December.

X-Frame

Hmm is that really the case?

RE: Melee builds

Both Warlock classes have improved reach of their melee, which is an obvious first point in their favor.

Sunsingers get an overshield on hit while Defenders have to kill the enemy in order to get their overshield. Granted Defenders can opt for regenerating their Force Barrier or have lightning fast reloads, still the Sunsinger wins out because it should activate their barrier more often.

Voidwalkers even moreso. They have the excellent Energy Drain tree where on hit reduces the cool-down of grenades. You can use the options additionally reduce Nova Bomb cool-down or receive a significant portion of your health on kill, but that is a bonus -- the effect still activates on hit. Defender Titans don't have that.

If you choose the Nova Bomb cool-down option, and then take Embrace The Void skill perk, Nova Bomb AND grenade hits (not even kills) activate Energy Drain (without even using the melee), which further reduces the cool-down of grenades. You can use The Hunger to further increase the duration of Energy Drain, or wear the Skull of Dire Ahamkara (which I have). This way you can have Energy Drain being activated almost consistently.

So you can theoretically run an all Intellect / Strength build on the Voidwalker and still have ~25 second grenade cool-downs, plus almost stupid-fast Nova Bomb cool-downs and fast melee cool-downs. The Skull of Dire Ahamkara further reduces Nova Bomb cool-downs on grenade kills. Plus, maneuverability with Blink is excellent in close-quarters and disorientating enemies who have trouble tracking you.

It's a wonderful CQC build and I just started using the Warlock more frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom