• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

realcZk

Midas Multi-Tool. I got it from the Nightfall and have no idea what my emotions should be. Is it good? Is it worthwhile?

I'm just starting to dip my toes into scout rifles because in game modes like salvage, I've seen them used to devastating effect in ripping apart AR users at range on maps like Shores of Time and Rusted, so it came at a good time since I was just starting to level up one....

....but is this one any good? I am really a dirty whore for Thunderlord and although I have Jolder's Hammer / other good ones....I love my T-Lord.

It's a... scout rifle. It doesn't do a particularly amazing job at being a scout rifle, but its a good one. The biggest problem I have with MIDA is justifying it's place in my only weapon exotic slot. It's good for farming runs because of agility, but I don't find myself using it in the raid/strikes or anything. That's not to say its not good there, I just have exotic secondaries I prefer.

Mida Multi-Tool. I got it from the Nightfall and have no idea what my emotions should be. Is it good? Is it worthwhile?

I'm just starting to dip my toes into scout rifles because in game modes like salvage, I've seen them used to devastating effect in ripping apart AR users at range on maps like Shores of Time and Rusted, so it came at a good time since I was just starting to level up one....

....but is this one any good? I am really a dirty whore for Thunderlord and although I have Jolder's Hammer / other good ones....I love my T-Lord.

Mida is the best exotic SR in the game. VoC is the best overall SC.

Re: asking before joining a fireteam, I feel that it would just be expected etiquette. I've never popped into someone else's fireteam unannounced nor would I ever.

With that said, I always keep my fireteam open even when I'm trying to "Destiny Souls" solo some content. I have people on my friends list (Gaffers and otherwise) pop in unannounced all the time. If they're not very skilled or underleveled for the activity, I don't mind carrying them through. I totally get why it's viewed as an annoyance and it absolutely should be, but I just enjoy playing the game so I'm pretty chill about it. :)

If anyone happens to be lurking this thread and has a habit of popping in unannounced feel free to add me. You may be asked to leave if I'm waiting on someone, but otherwise I'm typically down for whatever.

PS4 PSN: EinFurDieDamen

Well said, people need to be friendly and civil. Don't just boot them right away, tell them whats up. In the end, the options are there in the game and people should and will use them.

The social features are awful enough, we don't need to be an added barrier for the community.

Fair enough, and you're right it should save your selection.

As I said above I usually ask on my mic as soon as I join, there are times when I can't even send a message on PSN so it's just easier for me that way.

lol get over it. You know what's a courtesy, set your FT to solo so other players don't join your group and get kicked or ruin your experience...It's really not that difficult.

I was never not over it. I just find it a bit laughable/immature. Guess I'll boot people whenever I please and not really worry about it. It's not difficult, right?

Navy Bean

Once you get off the daily treadmill of grinding it's hard to jump back in. I've been away for about a week and I only have a small urge to do a Nightfall and a possibly run the raid. Maybe Xur can lure me back with the Gjallarhorn...

ocean

Banned
Sending and reading messages on PSN is so slow and clunky that it's impractical to message people before joining a Fireteam. If you're patrolling Mars and I need some Relic, I think it'd be cool to just join you and ask right away "Hey man mind if I tag along?". If you want to run solo you can just say "hey sorry I'm actually waiting for 2 people" or whatever and it's all cool.

I've had bad experiences with people here who get really rude and dump me immediately with apparent offense at my having joined their Fireteam without notice. Result? I run solo exclusively unless I get a partner through the message board previously. I'll post here and wait until I find someone who answers. I guess it's OK but I won't lie: it kinda bums me out that people aren't a little nicer about this.

If I'm doing something and you randomly join my team I'd never feel it's OK to be rude to you. If I don't want to play with you for any reason and had forgotten to set team to Private or Invite Only, I can be nice about it and just say it decently, no hard feelings.

Cømet

Banned
I don't think they do. It's good manners to ask someone who you don't
know very well before you join their game.

I always ask before I join unless I know the person or have played with them a lot.

Not everyone has the same preferences.

Hell yeah. I mean if I see you or Roth or someone doing a strike/nightfall or otherwise I'll drop in to help. But if you're in a raid I know you're trying a flawless run, so if I just dropped in without asking that's unfair and rude, especially since it's likely you're waiting for someone already.

It actually is once you factor in the time it takes to write and send a message on PSN these days and voice chat not working properly most of the time.
It seems way easier to set the fireteam to invite only everytime you play.

"can I join you" takes seconds. Voice chat can be a pain, but you know it never takes me more than a few minutes to get it fixed if it stops working. It's not so much a problem for me, considering I plan activities here and with friends before doing them so the fireteams are always full- but if someone drops and a random joins, you can be sure you're getting booted.

I don't hate when people join- if you're a pain, you get booted, if you die a lot I'm not gonna keep reviving you- I just find it rude for people you hardly know to jump in without asking. Even my RL PSN buddy invites me to a chat so we can talk about what we need to do.

Neither is changing your fireteam setting. In fact it's quicker and forces people to ask, which is what you want.

Same as Bizazedo. It's open so actual RL and good friends can join me whenever they want. I don't mind a good buddy sitting at my table without asking, at least not most of the time. It's open for people I know, not the people I don't or have played with maybe once.

I used to say this - I've complained about people randomly joining my fireteam before. And I still feel that way about raids - don't join my raid randomly please. At least ask first. However, if I am doing a story mission, or a nightfall, or a weekly heroic, and you want to join w/o asking, and I have it set to "friends" instead of "invite only", then go for it. Hop on in.

I wouldn't join without asking, so that's the behaviour I expect. If it's too much trouble for someone to ask, it's too much trouble for me not to boot them for a friend or someone that did.
Random joining a raid is just a huge nono. I've had strangers do that and I hate it. Usually if my fireteam has a spot open, it's because someone's been disconnected or we're waiting for a guy, though.

Slight tangent- who really wants to sit in on my fireteam if all I'm doing is collecting mats? Nothing to see here folks.

PS4 here, we need one to the Vault of Glass, Hard, just opened. At least 29 and decent weapons please, we speak English and Spanish. Add me PSN Vasilisk.

Fixed1979

I was never not over it. I just find it a bit laughable/immature. Guess I'll boot people whenever I please and not really worry about it. It's not difficult, right?

Dude play the game however you want, I don't really care. But your comment about MTV generation etc was silly, and honestly if that's what you're breaking your argument down into then I feel you're missing the point.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It actually is once you factor in the time it takes to write and send a message on PSN these days and voice chat not working properly most of the time.
It seems way easier to set the fireteam to invite only everytime you play.
Well, they're solving different problems :p But I guess I will set my fireteam status every time, I see the other argument.

The one thing I'll hate about this is
I wish more people will open it up during Crucible tho. Everyone disables joining. I want to play with friends and not randoms.
yes arg. when I'm playing Crucible I'd want to have it open. lots of swapping in my future
Angel of Light > all other perks. The difference it makes in PvP is astounding. Don't really want to go back to Voidwalker cause of how good that perk feels.
I thought I was the only one that liked it, I never bring it up cause it's usually "lol hope you like getting shot out of the sky"
So this thread is devolving
again
into "Don't join my fireteam." Sigh.

A) If you join someone's fireteam, ask if they could use a hand as you're looking to help and/or make friends. If they're rude, take the hint.

B) If someone joins your fireteam and you weren't expecting them, nicely let them know that you're waiting for someone or soloing.

All this talk of "dumping people" in a cool community like this just makes people sound like exclusionary elitists. No offense intended - just as a junior member I read these and think "Gosh I hope I never tick that person off.."
Well that's the long and short of it yeah. to clarify I haven't ever kicked someone out of a fireteam that joined me regardless of how they did so (unless it was for a reserved slot, and I will send a message to apologize for having to do so)

Sending and reading messages on PSN is so slow and clunky that it's impractical to message people before joining a Fireteam. If you're patrolling Mars and I need some Relic, I think it'd be cool to just join you and ask right away "Hey man mind if I tag along?". If you want to run solo you can just say "hey sorry I'm actually waiting for 2 people" or whatever and it's all cool.

I've had bad experiences with people here who get really rude and dump me immediately with apparent offense at my having joined their Fireteam without notice. Result? I run solo exclusively unless I get a partner through the message board previously. I'll post here and wait until I find someone who answers. I guess it's OK but I won't lie: it kinda bums me out that people aren't a little nicer about this.

If I'm doing something and you randomly join my team I'd never feel it's OK to be rude to you. If I don't want to play with you for any reason and had forgotten to set team to Private or Invite Only, I can be nice about it and just say it decently, no hard feelings.

So very much this. PSN messaging is awful. Like I've said, be civil. Bungie needs to enhance their social features (well, add entirely because there barely are any) so messages can be sent in game, or status' or whatever to help this as well.

Cømet;137471779 said:
Hell yeah. I mean if I see you or Roth or someone doing a strike/nightfall or otherwise I'll drop in to help. But if you're in a raid I know you're trying a flawless run, so if I just dropped in without asking that's unfair and rude, especially since it's likely you're waiting for someone already.

"can I join you" takes seconds. Voice chat can be a pain, but you know it never takes me more than a few minutes to get it fixed if it stops working. It's not so much a problem for me, considering I plan activities here and with friends before doing them so the fireteams are always full- but if someone drops and a random joins, you can be sure you're getting booted.

I don't hate when people join- if you're a pain, you get booted, if you die a lot I'm not gonna keep reviving you- I just find it rude for people you hardly know to jump in without asking. Even my RL PSN buddy invites me to a chat so we can talk about what we need to do.

Same as Bizazedo. It's open so actual RL and good friends can join me whenever they want. I don't mind a good buddy sitting at my table without asking, at least not most of the time. It's open for people I know, not the people I don't or have played with maybe once.

I wouldn't join without asking, so that's the behaviour I expect. If it's too much trouble for someone to ask, it's too much trouble for me not to boot them for a friend or someone that did.
Random joining a raid is just a huge nono. I've had strangers do that and I hate it. Usually if my fireteam has a spot open, it's because someone's been disconnected or we're waiting for a guy, though.

Slight tangent- who really wants to sit in on my fireteam if all I'm doing is collecting mats? Nothing to see here folks.

Oh good, someone here gets it.

ocean

Banned
i think it was xLiKx, i also tried the flawless raider with him and he ruined it for everyone during the jumping puzzle

id recommend avoiding him if possible

:| Now I really feel trying Flawless will be a nerve-wrecking experience. Such pressure haha

There is no excuse for not setting it to invite only if random drop-ins are a big deal to you. None. It's lame and needs to be addressed that you can't save your preference right now but jesus do you have to be extremely lazy to not make this very quick change before setting out on whatever activity you're going to begin. There are multiple privacy settings for a reason people, use them! It only makes sense that if you have it set to "Friends Only" you're saying it's ok for anyone on your FL to jump in. The permissions set the edict for us and you don't have to deal with awkward situations.

Greenymac

Dont wrry, I probably do hard raid with u, nobody wants to do it from beginning, im joining others on oracles and templar, might not even do gatekeeper it seems.

Going from the beginning is cake for me now. People keep wanting to cheese stuff and Im like its easier to just do it. Weak dicks.

Qwell

+1
I randomly join people all the time, not trying to be carried just trying to accomplish stuff and have some fun. I ask when I join just to make sure its cool and don't mind leaving if they were waiting. The flawless run ... yah that sucks... but again you know now that you should set to invite only if you are trying that, I can't think of another scenario where it would totally screw up something if someone accidentally randomly joined. You are still the fireteam lead so even if the person is a jerk, you can just boot them out.

Also totally agree about the PSN message speed, you are lucky if the person can even see the message 5 minutes after you send it, so you are stuck waiting. Or you take 20 seconds, join the fireteam, ask if it was cool and leave if you need to.

Tovarisc

So this thread is devolving
again
into "Don't join my fireteam." Sigh.

A) If you join someone's fireteam, ask if they could use a hand as you're looking to help and/or make friends. If they're rude, take the hint.

B) If someone joins your fireteam and you weren't expecting them, nicely let them know that you're waiting for someone or soloing.

All this talk of "dumping people" in a cool community like this just makes people sound like exclusionary elitists. No offense intended - just as a junior member I read these and think "Gosh I hope I never tick that person off.."

What about person like me who usually don't have any PS4 audio enabled when doing solo stuff as I don't expect need for communications and put something to my 2nd monitor?

I guess I would be that "rude person" from which you would need to take a hint from :D

I boot you if I don't want you there, if no coms on

Then set your shit to invite only when you're in a bad mood about people joining you.

Also option to ask before joining is there so there really isn't good excuse to crash in unannounced. You just assume that everyone with "open" fireteam is ok with you just joining in.

My bad excuse for letting people crash in is that I rarely remember adjust that toggle each time I start the game or swap characters. Funny how game saves every other setting user puts in, but not this one.

realcZk

:| Now I really feel trying Flawless will be a nerve-wrecking experience. Such pressure haha

lol i was just poking fun at lik, and yeah there can be a lot of pressure, just gotta chillax hard and remember its just a game and these people that you make angry cant titan punch you through the tv :)

LiK

lol please dont, we havent even been on our second date yet
Alright, lol

I'm pretty locked down with the platforms now. Not even an issue anymore. I just fly past them.

That was actually my first Flawless run so yea, I fucked it up. Other than a lag that caused my death recently there, I've had no problems.

The worst is worrying about everybody else dying there for whatever reason.

phen0m24

So very much this. PSN messaging is awful. Like I've said, be civil. Bungie needs to enhance their social features (well, add entirely because there barely are any) so messages can be sent in game, or status' or whatever to help this as well.

This times
pocket
infinity. ;)

It takes 5 minutes to send a message on PSN, and 20 seconds to say "Need a hand?"

MADGAME

Which is more of a hassle - giving a player the boot every time one joins your fireteam unannounced or changing the setting once per session?

The laziness is laughable, you have tools at your disposal to get the desired result. If you would rather try to drive community behavior instead of 3 button presses to get what you want, more power to you.

ocean

Banned
lol i was just poking fun at lik, and yeah there can be a lot of pressure, just gotta chillax hard and remember its just a game and these people that you make angry cant titan punch you through the tv :)

:p

Every time I run Normal VoG now I try to make it all the way without dying so I'm ready for a flawless group when the time for that comes. I've made it all the way to Gatekeepers without dying (other than Gorgon maze wipes where I wasn't at fault) but haven't nailed Gatekeeper down yet. I've had better luck clearing Atheon without dying (again, discounting team wipes when someone else messes up). Gotta keep practicing I guess :p

Palocca

I woke up a little earlier than usual since I'm still getting used to the daylight savings time change. I figured I should try to solo the Nightfall since I had the free time. I was awarded with The Last Word, and a blue engram that I picked up turned into the Epitaph legendary sniper w/ Void. Since I had some time to spare, I ran the Daily too. I was awarded a legendary helm engram along with shards. It turned into 2 ascendant energies, but still. I felt like I won the lottery this morning. I was contemplating whether or not I should call in sick to work just to see how far I could ride the good luck.

LiK

:p

Every time I run Normal VoG now I try to make it all the way without dying so I'm ready for a flawless group when the time for that comes. I've made it all the way to Gatekeepers without dying (other than Gorgon maze wipes where I wasn't at fault) but haven't nailed Gatekeeper down yet. I've had better luck clearing Atheon without dying (again, discounting team wipes when someone else messes up). Gotta keep practicing I guess :p

Yea, just practice and you'll get better. The glitches make it harder but adapting to that shit is part of the challenge until Bungie fixes this shit.

Much more useful for really close range encounters. Often times I notice someone about to come around a corner on the radar, I jump up, start aiming and pop off multiple headshots with my auto rifle before they even notice where they are being shot from. Using it from across the map is a big no no.

Gotcha. Makes sense but considering how many low hanging ceilings there are in almost every map I think it would just frustrate me.

Plus I don't know if it's worth the trade off traversal-wise. I'm one of those assholes that blinks over people's heads and drops down for the two piece melee shotgun/handcannon combo so the super slow glide would eff with my play style.

Atkison04

I can see both sides kind of. I never join someone's session unless i know them in real life or if it was arranged in here or destiny lfg. As far as people joining up with me,I really don't mind. I do have a couple of Co workers that play and one of them I game with most of the time, the other is kind of annoying so I try to act like I didn't see him just join my fire team. I'll log off quickly, log back on and set my team to invite only lol.

I did run into someone a week or so ago thru destiny lfg that I cheesed atheon with. Sent friend request and a week later the dude randomly joined me while I was doing a solo Nightfall. He saw that I was at the beginning and bounced without saying anything. That just made me think dude was just trying to hop on at the end for a quick reward, which is fine if i post in here that I'm at the boss and offer for some of you guys to join in for the reward, but not as cool for some random I met on destinylfg.

I guess bottom line is if someone joins and contributes, it's all cool with me.

patchday

You probably missed or grazed them? I can take out both of those attacks with RLs just fine.

I'm getting better at shotgunning Bladedancers as well.

I used to think Bladedancers were a little OP. Then I made one and discovered all the limitations. Went back to my Titan and now I just plain murder those guys. When I see someone pop bladedancer super I switch to the shotty and grenade'em. Usually keep a super around for'em for extra security.

It's gunslingers that scare me. I run far when I see golden gun. Was so pissed at a random other day. I was dead already and saw a hunter go Golden. Teammate decides to be dumb and rez me so we can both die to golden gun.

/begin rant -> This game really fucking needs the ability for randoms to talk to each other in Crucible. It's so stupid. Even Halo had this. Bungie has gotten so awful since working on Halo. Been playing CoD: AW lately to take a break and cooldown. /end rant/whine/tears

The game allows you to join in session, just because you think its rude doesn't mean it isn't allowed. Maybe Bungie should provide better social features. Until then I don't really care about joining in on people.

I am Level 30 and 29 with my characters, so I can hold my own. The cliques here are ridiculous.

I think it's common courtesy to ask before joining. Just because there is an opening it doesn't mean you can just join. Maybe the group is waiting for someone or maybe someone got booted which happens quite often.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Midas Multi-Tool. I got it from the Nightfall and have no idea what my emotions should be. Is it good? Is it worthwhile?

I've played around with it just a little bit and I think it's underrated. Cool to be able to swap out Knucklehead and retain that functionality. That said, it could use a buff to justify spending your exotic slot on it.
You can send a voice message on PSN... I do so, and receive them, all the time. It's quick and easy :X I don't think it should be considered impractical by a long shot to do this, considering how many times I've been on the sending or receiving end and done so successfully.

If you just join (my fireteam ingame) without warning and ask "Mind if I tag along?" out loud and I'm on Vita or playing in my bedroom without my headset or watching TV or something, it's going to seem like I'm ignoring you and that sucks. Generally speaking, I'll shoot them a PSN message at this point to let them know what's up and apologize that I'm not doing something more exciting or able to talk at the moment. But I get that I should just switch to invite only any time there's a risk of this and then switch back when I'm ready for anything, have my headset on, and would be happy to have people join blindly. If the status were persistent it would be much easier to manage.

yeah... I always try to err on the side of common courtesy, for sure.

patchday

I think it's common courtesy to ask before joining. Just because there is an opening it doesn't mean you can just join. Maybe the group is waiting for someone or maybe someone got booted which happens quite often.

Yeah I have my parties set to Invite only for this reason. I had to boot a guy from friends list because he'd join me and just play horrible. He had no mic. He screwed up in a Heroic weekly and normal raid.

Pimpwerx

If you get booted from a fireteam, there's no reason to take it personally. Everyone has their reasons. I drop in randomly on people, and sometimes I message or join their party first to ask. It depends on my mood and the task at hand. If I get booted, I don't sulk or fret. I've booted people from my fireteam when I've been trying to solo Atheon, or when a friend and I are trying to keep our fireteam size down. If they can't hear me before I issue the kick, that's their own fault. It's never personal, as I don't personally know most of the people on my friend list.

If you're finding this is an inconvenience for you, maybe you should add more friends to your list (the GAF friends list threads are excellent for this) in order to increase your hit rate. Most of the time someone drops in randomly on me, and I don't know them, I can guess they're from GAF. Most of the time I welcome it. Nothing better than getting an extra, helpful gun when shorthanded on a mission. PEACE.

phen0m24

What about person like me who usually don't have any PS4 audio enabled when doing solo stuff as I don't expect need for communications and put something to my 2nd monitor?

I guess I would be that "rude person" from which you would need to take a hint from :D

I boot you if I don't want you there, if no coms on

Also option to ask before joining is there so there really isn't good excuse to crash in unannounced. You just assume that everyone with "open" fireteam is ok with you just joining in.

Tovarisc hey, please understand I wasn't trying to say you or anyone was rude, if you or anyone else has a legit reason for not wanting someone on your fireteam - it's a free country. But whether it was you or the number of folks saying "I cleared out my friends list" type statements just sound really edgy to me. Basically - why? Here's this epic gathering of freaking cool people that I'm psyched to game with - and we're talking about dropping friends like clearing a browser cache? gulp

I'm not someone that would be offended by Hawkian, or you, or likely anyone else saying "Hey man, I'm waiting for someone - catch you next time" even if you were having a bad day or whatever else. I get it.

I'll gladly comply with requests for permission rather than forgiveness, but would think with classy people as such as inhabit this forum the golden rule would be the norm. shrug

If we ever get the chance to play together, maybe you'll put your headphones on. I promise I'll be nice. hehe Thanks for your reply. :)

I tried the sparrow surfing from that video posted a few hours ago. It's really funny, especially when randoms near you stare at you and wonder what the fuck is going on :p

Got 5-6 messages from randoms asking me how I was glitching the game.

Also, one random sent me a message saying I misspelled ruthless in my psn id (ruthlesbarbarian).

Tovarisc

The laziness is laughable, you have tools at your disposal to get the desired result. If you would rather try to drive community behavior instead of 3 button presses to get what you want, more power to you.

That argument cuts both ways. If e.g. I'm "lazy" for not each time remembering switching toggle then you would be "lazy" for not sending short message before joining my fireteam. Both actions are low effort, but can result in better experience for all parties involved.

Community doesn't behave as "party joiners" as a whole, some people within said community does. Just like some people [e.g. me] at times don't want "party joiners" in their fireteams even if option to join is there.

So basically if you would laugh at me for being "lazy" and not remembering toggle then I would laugh at you for being "lazy" and not typing up 3 words :S

If we ever get the chance to play together, maybe you'll put your headphones on. I promise I'll be nice. hehe Thanks for your reply. :)

If I'm organising group stuff [nightfall, raid, pvp...] or just expecting friend to join I'm always rocking coms. When I'm solo and not expecting anyone I usually have PS 4 audio stuff unplugged and rocking some podcast via my headphones. Also crashing on me doesn't mean automatic boot, it depends so much on what I'm doing etc., but I just find crashing rude.

Thats all.

Bossun

Is there a place in a hard raid for a first timer (hard raid, I already did the normal one a few time)?

Level 29 sunsinger or voidwalker. Fully upgraded Atheon's Epilogue and Icebreaker.

LiK

I tried the sparrow surfing from that video posted a few hours ago. It's really funny, especially when randoms near you stare at you and wonder what the fuck is going on :p

Got 5-6 messages from randoms asking me how I was glitching the game.

Also, one random sent me a message saying I misspelled ruthless in my psn id (ruthlesbarbarian).

Yea, major typo dude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom