• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There is no excuse for not setting it to invite only if random drop-ins are a big deal to you. None. It's lame and needs to be addressed that you can't save your preference right now but jesus do you have to be extremely lazy to not make this very quick change before setting out on whatever activity you're going to begin. There are multiple privacy settings for a reason people, use them! It only makes sense that if you have it set to "Friends Only" you're saying it's ok for anyone on your FL to jump in. The permissions set the edict for us and you don't have to deal with awkward situations.
I think you're right. There's a certain convenience factor that is lost; it's how I initiate our raids every week (you won't be able to "Join Session" on me if set to Invite Only) but it's a fair reading of the systems to interpret a Friends Only status as "accepting random joins." I will stop being jesus lazy and set my status on login from now on.

edit: *sigh* But I also don't want to send the signal that I'm not happy to group with people. Invite Only will probably make it look like I'm waiting on a specific group or don't want to be bothered whereas I am almost definitely down to do stuff. Hopefully people will still shoot me a message rather than assuming I'm not available.

The PSN smartphone app can help if you have a lot of trouble with messaging.

realcZk

That argument cuts both ways. If e.g. I'm "lazy" for not each time remembering switching toggle then you would be "lazy" for not sending short message before joining my fireteam. Both actions are low effort, but can result in better experience for all parties involved.

Community doesn't behave as "party joiners" as a whole, some people within said community does. Just like some people [e.g. me] at times don't want "party joiners" in their fireteams even if option to join is there.

So basically if you would laugh at me for being "lazy" and not remembering toggle then I would laugh at you for being "lazy" and not typing up 3 words :S

ya'll are both lazy for posting on the forums when you should be in-game farming erotic weapons and armor!

psn messaging is such junk though, sometimes i get messages a day later, and i don't always stop what I'm doing (you cant pause destiny) to read messages. i'm not saying one argument is better than the other, i agree with both sides. i probably come off as rude a lot because of the way i handle messages

MADGAME

That argument cuts both ways. If e.g. I'm "lazy" for not each time remembering switching toggle then you would be "lazy" for not sending short message before joining my fireteam. Both actions are low effort, but can result in better experience for all parties involved.

Community doesn't behave as "party joiners" as a whole, some people within said community does. Just like some people [e.g. me] at times don't want "party joiners" in their fireteams even if option to join is there.

So basically if you would laugh at me for being "lazy" and not remembering toggle then I would laugh at you for being "lazy" and not typing up 3 words :S

I don't join other people's parties without planning, so I don't fall into that group. I do however set my fireteam joining options accordingly so I don't waste my time or someone else's. It's 3 button presses. I suppose you can argue it isn't lazy to send psn messages or voice chats or whatever, but it's certainly an unnecessary time waster when you can avoid it altogether with 3 button presses.

If you would rather have someone go through PSN and send a voice/text message saying "mind if I join?", then you go into xmedia bar to reply "going to solo this one" or whatever over and over every single time someone wants to join that is certainly your prerogative. Kind of selfish to expect the community to do that when you can restrict or allow it quite efficiently at will.

I typically prefer to solo all PvE content except Raid, but leave my fireteam open for anyone who wants to join. I will sometimes restrict if I'm chasing certain bounties or experimenting.

Edit: I'm not criticizing anyone for their playing preferences, I understand sometimes wanting to play alone or in a group. Just saying the tools are there to control it yourself without having to depend on the behavior of every single person in your friend's list. The game was designed to be social and played with friends (albeit poorly), so the allow friends option by default makes sense.

SgtCobra

Cømet;137458162 said:
Shadow Price is pretty great, but if you're looking for something more Shingen E style I'd probably recommend Atheon's Epilogue. It's like Dr Nope but better.
Buy a Shadow Price.
Shadow Price and Atheon's Epilogue.
People actually recommended me a Vanquisher VIII instead of a Shadow Price. I don't know what they were thinking/smoking that moment :(
Atheon's Epilogue sounds nice, too bad I only get shards and chatterwhite when finishing the raid. I already got 4 of them.

Did you fully upgrade it and use the stability mod? I primarily use the vanquisher for MP and don't have any issues with it, I actually prefer it over other AR's including the suros

Dude upgrade it. It gets max stability and super fast reload.

You're just used to the shingen. I was too. Now I can't go back to that. You need more impact for higher level mobs
Does it have perfect balance to unlock?

Vanquisher VIII is great and is superior to the store / base version of Shadow Price. Barely, but it is, and only due to the way the upgrades / perks synergize.

The dropped version of Shadow Price with field scout (or whatever it is that gives it like a 40+ ammo clip) is better than the base Vanquisher VIII.

You have to upgrade the Vanq to really make it worthwhile, though, otherwise it's garbage.

I am only speaking for PvP, by the way. Vanquisher is average, at best, for PvE. I never use it for PvE.
I don't really know how more recoil control will fix this mess of a weapon. My main gripe is mostly the speed, I always get outclassed by people with Grim Citizen III's, Shingens and Suros' everytime I'm in front of them. I'm even more lucky on PvP using the Monte Carlo with its Killzone-like recoil.
I'll try to max it out but the only little bit of interesting stuff this weapon has is the Perfect Balance perk, and even then my Shingen-E beats it in that regard with its full stability. What a joke.

Thanks for the advices peeps.

Yeah I have my parties set to Invite only for this reason. I had to boot a guy from friends list because he'd join me and just play horrible. He had no mic. He screwed up in a Heroic weekly and normal raid.

Sometimes people have issues joining so you have to set it to open and you forget to set it back. Last night someone got dropped during the raid and a person from my friends list messaged me asking if we needed someone. I told him what had happened and he/she was cool about it. It's just common courtesy to ask first

The RNG in this game can be so ridiculous.

A few weeks back I rolled a second titan on the weekend with the intention of running the raid twice to get a better chance at the arms I needed for level 30. On the very next raid, I wound up getting the arms anyhow. I was almost 20/30 with the second titan so finished and ran the raid with him and got two pieces of gear and essentially just needed arms again(I bought the Defender exotic helm at Xur).

Meanwhile my entire clan has about 25 really active players who run the raid weekly and my Titan was the only level 30. Until last night. Now I have *two* level 30 Titans, both equipped with a Vision and an Atheon's of their own and I have a bunch of clanmates who want bad things to happen to me.

phen0m24

If I'm organising group stuff [nightfall, raid, pvp...] or just expecting friend to join I'm always rocking coms. When I'm solo and not expecting anyone I usually have PS 4 audio stuff unplugged and rocking some podcast via my headphones. Also crashing on me doesn't mean automatic boot, it depends so much on what I'm doing etc., but I just find crashing rude.
Thats all.

No worries, amigo. If you are ever bored and want farming company, hit me up. The podcast idea is pretty dang cool - gotta admit.

PSN: ColonelOCorn

Separately guys, I have all legendary armor leveled max with an exotic chest piece the last holdout. It has two upgrade (circles) remaining and I'm about 28 7/8. My exotic chest piece (Armamentaluminium) ;) has a higher light total than its (Kabr) raid counterpart. Is it that the remaining raid armor pieces have higher light totals, or can I expect a somewhat magical jump from nearly 29 to 30 based on two upgrades?

TL;dr - Can I get to 30 with all legendary armor and ONE exotic, or do I need all raid gear and one exotic?

realcZk

I suppose there's no news of a possible weapons patch this week?

probably not since its already wednesday, historically patches/hotfixes have dropped on wednesday with notes earlier in the week. hopefully this weekly update touches more on the stuff we are really waiting for, but im honestly expecting the changes to drop with DLC :/

Atkison04

I think you're right. There's a certain convenience factor that is lost; it's how I initiate our raids every week (you won't be able to "Join Session" on me if set to Invite Only) but it's a fair reading of the systems to interpret a Friends Only status as "accepting random joins." I will stop being jesus lazy and set my status on login from now on.

edit: *sigh* But I also don't want to send the signal that I'm not happy to group with people. Invite Only will probably make it look like I'm waiting on a specific group or don't want to be bothered whereas I am almost definitely down to do stuff. Hopefully people will still shoot me a message rather than assuming I'm not available.

The PSN smartphone app can help if you have a lot of trouble with messaging.

Speaking of invites and all that, what's your psn ID Hawkian? I know I've chatted with you a bit over the course of the OT's but not sure I ever added you on psn. Making sure everything is golden for the Thursday night noob fest!

realcZk

No worries, amigo. If you are ever bored and want farming company, hit me up. The podcast idea is pretty dang cool - gotta admit.

PSN: ColonelOCorn

Separately guys, I have all legendary armor leveled max with an exotic chest piece the last holdout. It has two upgrade (circles) remaining and I'm about 28 7/8. My exotic chest piece has a higher light total than its (Kabr) raid counterpart. Is it that the remaining raid armor pieces have higher light totals, or can I expect a somewhat magical jump from nearly 29 to 30 based on two upgrades?

TL;dr - Can I get to 30 with all legendary armor and ONE exotic, or do I need all raid gear and one exotic?

hey there titan buddy, good class choice. you'll need all raid gear (or 3 pieces of raid gear + one exotic) to hit 30. Upgrading the last two bubbles on your stuff right now will get you to 29

your light level on gear increases as you upgrade defense on that gear. erotic armor and raid armor maxes at 30 light, regular legendary pieces do not

phen0m24

Raid armor to all slots OR raid armor + 1 exotic

Regular legendaries + 1 exotic gets you to 29.

Affirmative. Thanks.

Figures I would get the Kabr chest piece as I was wearing
Armamentaluminiumism
the exotic chest piece.

hey there titan buddy, good class choice. you'll need all raid gear (or 3 pieces of raid gear + one exotic) to hit 30. Upgrading the last two bubbles on your stuff right now will get you to 29

your light level on gear increases as you upgrade defense on that gear. erotic armor and raid armor maxes at 30 light, regular legendary pieces do not

Thanks real!! So you're telling me I need to hunt for the Bottle Opener helmet (only in hard mode, correct?), greaves and treads. Poor MADGAME, I told him that (as was said somewhere in this thread) "Can't un-see!" the bottle opener.

also: erotic armor. Nice. I'm working on an Erotic Bounty now. NEED RARE FUSION RIFLES.

PuMa

Unfortunately I guess I am going to have to start doing this. I don't get upset, and if I do have my headset on and we can talk about whatever they're joining to do, it's not that big a deal. It's convenient to just have it to Friends Only so that people who I'm talking to (and especially people in a PSN party for Join Session) can just Join in without needing the invite, but it makes for a lot of awkward situations. I hate the feeling when someone joins and I'm on Vita/playing with my headset disconnected and in the other room. Sometimes I'm even watching something on my second screen and have the volume turned down. I just can't communicate to tell them what's up and have no idea what content they're joining for, and I feel like I'm being a jerk just continuing with whatever I was doing. So switching it to Invite Only is probably the right thing to do. The main problem here is that it doesn't save your choice. Boot up destiny and it's "Friends Only." :-/

The crazy thing is that if I'm not in the middle of something at the time I'm just about always up for whatever anyone wants to do. Just send me a message. I'll go get set up in the other room and reconnect my headset to do a Strike or Daily or whatever help is needed with. I just don't know what someone is looking for if they just join the fireteam without saying anything, or send a blind invite. :-[

I find messaging to be pain, but I'm impatient. I would much rather jump into PSN friend's game and say "hey, can I join/help?". I don't find that to be rude as some people here have opined. Everyone has their preferences...

EDIT: Raids are different of course

realcZk

Affirmative. Thanks.

Figures I would get the Kabr chest piece as I was wearing
Armamentaluminiumism
the exotic chest piece.

Thanks real!! So you're telling me I need to hunt for the Bottle Opener helmet (only in hard mode, correct?), greaves and treads. Poor MADGAME, I told him that (as was said somwehere in this thread) "Can't un-see!" the bottle opener.

yeah, unfortunately you'll need the helm if you want to keep using armamentarium. or you could get an exotic helmet and hope for raid gloves and boots.

and its not a bottle opener man - we've been over this, it's a spoiler so titans can maintain level heads under extreme velocity when punching mans, whiplash is our greatest enemy

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you would rather have someone go through PSN and send a voice/text message saying "mind if I join?", then you go into xmedia bar to reply "going to solo this one" or whatever over and over every single time someone wants to join that is certainly your prerogative.
Well, you're right in that I need to just spend more time interacting with the fireteam status option. It's funny... I would definitely, 100% rather do this than kick someone out of my group once they'd already joined, no matter how justified. Just a quirk of personality I guess. I always, always feel shitty telling someone (once they're in the fireteam ready to go) that they need to leave or I'm not doing whatever content they were hoping to at that moment. But again, I understand that I can avoid this situation by staying on top of my fireteam status so that's what I'll do. I just hope that everyone understands that Invite Only doesn't mean I'm unwilling to group with people if they want help with anything- I'm almost always up for anything.
Kind of selfish to expect the community to do that when you can restrict or allow it quite efficiently at will.
Hahaha, it's just a really different perspective. It's not really something about Destiny or Friends Lists, it applies in my real life in general, I hate the feeling of joining even a "technically open" group of people I don't know very well without having been invited or discussing it beforehand. From my perspective, it would be selfish of me to assume that they would just accommodate whatever my needs are, and I'm setting them up to act like jerks if they tell me I'm not welcome.

But you are completely right. I'll just start swapping my status a lot more frequently and hopefully always remember to when I log in
Speaking of invites and all that, what's your psn ID Hawkian? I know I've chatted with you a bit over the course of the OT's but not sure I ever added you on psn. Making sure everything is golden for the Thursday night noob fest!
It's Hawkian! :)

Goliath

Wow, some really serious Destiny players here.

I completely understand being considerate but maybe because the kind of people I play with are cool, we pop in and out of eachother's games all the time. I never close off my fireteam. However I also have trouble finding people who wanna raid on normal hours of the day.

So for any other Destiny players who want to Raid Hard, work normal 9-5 hours and want a Destiny buddy with an "open door" policy, PSN friend me, Javy3, Warlock level 29 (all I need is a Raid Helmet!!!)

phen0m24

yeah, unfortunately you'll need the helm if you want to keep using armamentarium. or you could get an exotic helmet and hope for raid gloves and boots.

and its not a bottle opener man - we've been over this, it's a spoiler so titans can maintain level heads under extreme velocity when punching mans, whiplash is our greatest enemy

Real. Oh my gosh bro. As I read that sentence in my mind I saw it as:

"We've been over this, it's a
spoiler
..."

thanks for your help

PuMa

Hahaha, it's just a really different perspective. It's not really something about Destiny or Friends Lists, it applies in my real life in general, I hate the feeling of joining even a "technically open" group of people I don't know very well without having been invited or discussing it beforehand. From my perspective, it would be selfish of me to assume that they would just accommodate whatever my needs are, and I'm setting them up to act like jerks if they tell me I'm not welcome.

You're certainly right on it being a matter of perspective. For example, if I jump in someone's group, it's because I'm up for anything that person happens to be doing and/or want to help. "Oh, you're farming spinmetal and I don't necessarily need any? Sure I don't care!'. I just like playing.

NeOak

I'm feeling bad. I kicked some gaffer from my fireteam yesterday.
I had him in my friends list for quite sometime. But never really did anything with him.

Yesterday i was doing nightfall with a friend. Third slot was free. We were in the boss room hiding behind the crates near the entrance. Gaffer joined and stood by the door. I'd have warned him but i was in a psn party and he wasn't. Phanlaxes spawned and killed him instantly. They killed my friend and almost got me before despawning. I revived both. Gaffer took two steps and died again. Ok. Invisible, revived him again. Three more steps and he died AGAIN. This time in a place i couldn't revive him easily. Oh god. I kicked him and another friend joined.

We felt bad about it. We decided to help him through nightfall but apparently he excluded me from his friends list.

Gaffer that joins out of the blue and stands to die. Gets resurrected and dies again and again?

Please PM the PSN ID to see if I have him to delete him and block him. If people aren't talking I check if they are in a party.

Being part of GAF doesn't give you a free card to be an entitled jerk and a useless weight to be carried for free.

Enemies get more health per fireteam member, for God's sake. He's making the other 2 work harder for no reason. Whoever it was, what a prick.

Sane_Man

Fuck, I think I'm wrong. When I turned my PS4 on the first time it said 'corrupted' over the Destiny logo, so I panicked a bit and restarted and when I did the logo was back and it said added upload file in notifications and I assumed it was an update.

Now I'm thinking my fucking game has corrupted and all my data is wiped. I may have a breakdown.

:edit: yes, it's installing the fucking game again.. surely my data is saved externally though. I'm a cynic by nature so panicking.

Nope, people need to be more accepting and less exclusive. Seems to be very exclusive with a lot of people here and many I play with agree.

What do you mean by "exclusive"? Just because someone doesn't want to play with you at any given time doesn't mean you have to take it so personally. People are different. Just because I add someone to my friends list so that we can play together sometimes doesn't mean we have to play together every time that person wants to. And that doesn't mean I'm not "accepting" of others. Everyone has their own preferences. We're all a part of this Destiny gaf community and most of us have probably played with each other.

Alucrid

Banned
Fuck, I think I'm wrong. When I turned my PS4 on the first time it said 'corrupted' over the Destiny logo, so I panicked a bit and restarted and when I did the logo was back and it said added upload file in notifications and I assumed it was an update.

Now I'm thinking my fucking game has corrupted and all my data is wiped. I may have a breakdown.

i'm pretty sure it's all server side

stb

+1 for it being the onus of the person who doesn't want people to join to change the setting. This is especially true due to the lack of matchmaking for daily/weekly/nightfall/raid; it doesn't need to be any harder for people to group up for this content.

That said, i do agree that the setting should be saved from session to session, even through patches.

An alternative fix would be to replace the "join fireteam" button with "request fireteam invitation". They could even streamline the "invitation" process to be within the Destiny UI, basically by adding a "confirm invitation request" button (possibly a "deny" equivalent) where the "join fireteam" button would be for the person who requested it. This would both avoid "barging in" and reduce the message/invitation process from dozens of button presses to like 6 and would take seconds.

I don't give a flying fuck if somebody from my friends list jumps into my fireteam. They're actually my friends. Not necessarily in RL, but they are on my list because I enjoy playing with them.

Randomly send me a fireteam invite in the tower because I am level 30 and you want my help with something, and you don't even send a message with details and you are dead to me. You can fuck right off. Forever. Ten times.

Bizazedo

I used to think Bladedancers were a little OP. Then I made one and discovered all the limitations. Went back to my Titan and now I just plain murder those guys. When I see someone pop bladedancer super I switch to the shotty and grenade'em. Usually keep a super around for'em for extra security.

It's gunslingers that scare me. I run far when I see golden gun. Was so pissed at a random other day. I was dead already and saw a hunter go Golden. Teammate decides to be dumb and rez me so we can both die to golden gun.
Eh, a lot of stuff has limitations / drawbacks you don't see til you play the class. Like every time people say shoulder block from a Titan is so OP, I sigh and cry inwardly because I think it's for fun only and not what you want if you're in serious / try-hard mode. If I ever get an Exotic that allows me to shoulderblock *and* have Juggernaut?

<3 <3 <3.

Despite that, I still think Bladedancer is an amazing super.

As for Gunslinger....quick funny story, a GAF'er who reads this and I and another were playing Salvage and we saw / heard / called out on coms an opponent Golden Gun incoming.

Now, I'm not going to say I blocked him and caused the disaster. I'm not going to say he ran into me when I had good position.. I am not casting aspersions. But, noticing and reacting to the Golden Gun caused us to come far too close together and for the first time ever I had a death message of "Golden Gun Combustion" as the reason for my death.

Made sure to pulverize him and his team for the rest of the Salvage as recompense.

I don't really know how more recoil control will fix this mess of a weapon. My main gripe is mostly the speed, I always get outclassed by people with Grim Citizen III's, Shingens and Suros' everytime I'm in front of them. I'm even more lucky on PvP using the Monte Carlo with its Killzone-like recoil.
I'll try to max it out but the only little bit of interesting stuff this weapon has is the Perfect Balance perk, and even then my Shingen-E beats it in that regard with its full stability. What a joke.

Thanks for the advices peeps.

The gun becomes an entirely different weapon with Perfect Balance. Trust us :). It hits a lot harder than the Shingen-E with barely less stability at that point.

PuMa

Randomly send me a fireteam invite in the tower because I am level 30 and you want my help with something, and you don't even send a message with details and you are dead to me. You can fuck right off. Forever. Ten times.

Haha. THAT is definitely annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom