• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shito

So I have the +25 Kill Exotic bounty for the Crucible to get the shotgun

I'm terribad at PVP. I had one awesome game where my K/D ratio was 1.03, and i guess i racked up a bunch of assists and got to +8

Next match my team got totally stomped. Died like 30 times. Back to 1

Been playing control mostly, thinking the capture the flag aspect would make killing me a secondary objective, and I might have a easier time getting to +25

What is the best Crucible mode for this? Cause this isn't working.
I had nearly the same start as you did. I kept playing control and luckily found a team that knew how to play it (ie: capture 2 points and protect them, no need to rush that third one!).
BUT, after that, I've tried the simple team deathmach mode (forgot its name... scramble?), and found out I was doing way better here, by sticking around my teammates.

shem935

Banned
"Hard to get" is very relative in this case.

Just post "Looking for Atheon hard checkpoint / Looking for group at Atheon hard checkpoint", repeat X times / week depending on how many 29-30 chars you have and suddenly you have Mythoclast with low effort.

Current meta is to leave strike instantly when Valus one comes up in Tiger. It's what happened to me few times last night in Tiger, 2 other people instantly quitting.

Yeah then with my luck I would get the Psion Flayers as a punishment. Plus I just feel scumy leaving like that without a legit reason.

Ridli

I'm terribad at PVP. I had one awesome game where my K/D ratio was 1.03, and i guess i racked up a bunch of assists and got to +8

Been playing control mostly, thinking the capture the flag aspect would make killing me a secondary objective, and I might have a easier time getting to +25

I did mine on a mix of brawl and control. But its really going to be a check of learning to pvp. It can be rough learning at first. My main advice would be to look at each death objectively and try and determine if you made a bad decision (did I check my radar?, did I stay out in the open w red health?, should I have run/fight?, did I have the wrong weapon out for that engagement?). Focus on your decision making instead of weapon skills and you'll see that ratio rise.

Hzoltan69

LFG for hard raid, preferably from oracle checkpoint. Lvl 29 Sunsinger, with maxed weapons and a few hard runs completed.
PSN: Hzoltan969

Pimpwerx

I'm really curious to know how the people who bought Gjallahorn the first week managed to get enough strange coins to afford it. Not many people should've had one lvl20 character available, much less 2 or 3. How could you get so many in such a short period of time? I ask this as someone who exploited the old loot cave, so my mote and coin production was good for someone who didn't do the weekly. PEACE.

EDIT: Oh yeah, nothing worth buying this week. I have it all except third man. I need 2 more motes to roll the dice on an engram again. I'll roll the dice, and if I don't get third man, I'll buy it. It's not even like I need to save the coins, I have 100 strange coins thanks to Xur selling endless dupes for the last month. I wish I'd bought Red Death when I have a chance now. I was short sighted.

Deku Tree

Wait how do I look at my Vault now in the new iOS APP?

Can I still see how many strange coins (and other items) I have in the vault with the APP,
or does it just show that I have strange coins (etc)?
It used to show that...

Bizazedo

Do they really have matchmaking like that in this game? Where you play against better people if you're doing better yourself?

I play Control and just like in CoD I'd play Domination and I am a flag capper more than I am a killer so I get that I'm never going to have an awesome KDR. It's just that it's usually not this bad.

I believe it does. You have a rating on your Bungie profile. Also, people are eventually getting better / getting better weapons. Some are even learning heavy weapon ammo exists!

In the beginning, I wracked up a bunch of deaths, started at about a .70 K/D. This progressed for awhile, leaving me a large hole to dig out of.

Since then, gotten to 1.3 or 1.4 ish, I forget. With how many kills that took, it basically means I'm rocking at a low point 1.5 K/D usually and if I get below a 1, it's incredibly rare. My last two games last night were 3.38 and 4 k/d (and the 4 k/d game I had I had 32 kills, it wasn't a 4-0 venture). I was running solo in both games.

I bring this up because the main turnaround for me, as a Titan, and since you're a Titan, was three things. First, I stopped running around corners if I know / radar heavily suggests someone is there. Period. Shotgun deaths piss me off. Related to that, I use radar / map knowledge to know where people are going to go during swings in the fight and try to take advantage.

The second big one, and perhaps of more interest to you, is the lightning grenade. [editor's note: I have Armamentarium]. It has, by itself, made it so going below a 1 k/d was a rare instance. The grenade is incredible. It's a two hit kill and if you're really good at tossing it, you can easily, EASILY get multikills with it. A few enemy guys capping B on Twilight Gap? Toss it down and hit the back wall. It pulses once as soon as it hits, causing 122 damage. If they don't move they're dead in two seconds if the second pulse catches them. If they do move, I gun their wounded asses down.

Other spots are points B on Blind Watch and Firebase Delphi. People on B? Lightning Grenade kills errybody.

I know I've used point Bs three times, but Lightnings are amazing in Salvage and Control. They're even good in other modes because you can angle it to hit walls and hit people hiding behind walls, keeping you safe. Hell, while running away from people I've attached it to a wall and killed two pursuers because the distance it's lightning pulses go is craaaaazy.

I've gotten some insane angled tosses/kills due to it. It's the best grenade the Titan has and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

Third is learn to love Control and Salvage. Salvage I only run if I'm with at least one other person and you can steamroll people so much. Sadly, I haven't played it enough as it's rare, but a teammate got a K/D of 17 in Salvage once. My high is 12 or 14, I forget.

Summation: Take it slow, aim for the head, LEARN LIGHTNING GRENADES, and play "easier" game modes like Control or learn to crush with a team in Salvage etc.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I certainly don't get people hating Xur :(
"Hard to get" is very relative in this case.

Just post "Looking for Atheon hard checkpoint / Looking for group at Atheon hard checkpoint", repeat X times / week depending on how many 29-30 chars you have and suddenly you have Mythoclast with low effort.
THIS I hate. a lot.
Worst one... Only sold it first week when I wasn't ready....
Second week! Everybody forgets that Red Death started us off... so log ago...
So I started as a Titan Striker and was around a 1.0 KDR. I switched to Defender and it shot up to 1.15 after that. That was around a month and a half ago probably.

I was an auto rifle guy, had a rare painted suros with the "slower rate of fire but hits harder" before Xur sold Regime the first time. Then was using Regime after that.

After the weapon patch I tried hand cannon and scout rifles but that was around when I started doing bad so I switched back to Regime and improved a bit back to normalish.

But lately, last 3 weeks or so things have gotten really bad again. I don't see rubberbanding but I lose out straight up gun fights a lot where it feels like I'm dead before I can get off more than 2 shots.

Do they really have matchmaking like that in this game? Where you play against better people if you're doing better yourself?

I play Control and just like in CoD I'd play Domination and I am a flag capper more than I am a killer so I get that I'm never going to have an awesome KDR. It's just that it's usually not this bad.
There absolutely is skill-based matchmaking.

Based on the bold I'm sorry to say my best guess is that you've just hit a string of bad matches.

I also don't like Control (really lends itself to cheap multikills, so if you do like that kind of thing, hehe), so if you know the maps maybe consider graduating to the other modes.

Mupod

You're not gonna have any Strange Coins or enough Motes of Light at level 13 to buy anything from Xur :) But he has a certain kind of endgame loot called "Exotics," which are best-in-slot, but you can only have one Exotic weapon, and one Exotic armor piece equipped at one time, so it becomes about "spending" your slot on the certain piece that works best. What he carries each week (he comes on Friday and Saturday) is random.

Glimmer is best spent on Heavy Ammo Synthesis at the gunsmith, but it's not something you really need to start worrying about until ~20, when glimmer becomes much much easier to come by.

I know I don't have any of that endgame currency yet, but I plan to play a LOT over the weekend. I was curious if it's a weekly or daily-limited thing or if I could just grind it out.

As for glimmer usage, I was mostly wondering if for example buying shitty engrams to level up the vendor was at all worth it. Guess not!

Kalamari

So, basically, whenever Bungie decides they want people to come back to their game after MCC is released, they can give Xur more Ballerhorns.

Ramirez

So I started as a Titan Striker and was around a 1.0 KDR. I switched to Defender and it shot up to 1.15 after that. That was around a month and a half ago probably.

I was an auto rifle guy, had a rare painted suros with the "slower rate of fire but hits harder" before Xur sold Regime the first time. Then was using Regime after that.

After the weapon patch I tried hand cannon and scout rifles but that was around when I started doing bad so I switched back to Regime and improved a bit back to normalish.

But lately, last 3 weeks or so things have gotten really bad again. I don't see rubberbanding but I lose out straight up gun fights a lot where it feels like I'm dead before I can get off more than 2 shots.

The game doesn't use any skill matching, and if it does, it's broke.

The game needs ranks just like Halo prior to Reach.

The patch will probably hit a week or two before the DLC, should be pretty substantial given the length of time it's taken.

hydruxo

I was half asleep when I checked Xur and for a sec I thought Truth was Gjallar :(

Picked up Mask of the Third Man though. Bladedancer time!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I know I don't have any of that endgame currency yet, but I plan to play a LOT over the weekend. I was curious if it's a weekly or daily-limited thing or if I could just grind it out.

As for glimmer usage, I was mostly wondering if for example buying shitty engrams to level up the vendor was at all worth it. Guess not!
People will give you answers to this that vary, but have a look at my tag to see where I stand. that fucker doesn't have your best interests in mind.

Pimpwerx

People will give you answers to this that vary, but have a look at my tag to see where I stand. that fucker doesn't have your best interests in mind.

Post patch, the cryptarch is less of a douche. At least, I'm no longer going in with false hope. I see a purple, I know it's purple or gold now. I just get a lot fewer of them than before, but a lot less disappointment as well. Fair trade. :D PEACE.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The game doesn't use any skill matching, and if it does, it's broke.
I can't imagine why you would possibly be assigned a combat rating if not to use it for matchmaking alone. I've definitely noticed an anecdotal climb in the toughness of my competition over time but I'm sure it's not perfect either.
Post patch, the cryptarch is less of a douche. At least, I'm no longer going in with false hope. I see a purple, I know it's purple or gold now. I just get a lot fewer of them than before, but a lot less disappointment as well. Fair trade. :D PEACE.
The odds of a purple engram turning into shards or energy are still far too high. This should never happen; a Legendary engram should be an item, if that item isn't worthwhile to you or an alt you can then choose to turn it into materials.

He's a jerk. he'll always be a jerk.

Tovarisc

I always quit when it is either Valus Taurc or Dust Palace on a tiger playlist.

Ironically Dust Palace is one of the shortest and fastest to clear strikes in the game.

I'm really curious to know how the people who bought Gjallahorn the first week managed to get enough strange coins to afford it. Not many people should've had one lvl20 character available, much less 2 or 3. How could you get so many in such a short period of time? I ask this as someone who exploited the old loot cave, so my mote and coin production was good for someone who didn't do the weekly. PEACE.

I had one level 20+ Warlock back then and just played legit gearing game [never did even second of loot cave farm]. I got easily enough coins to get Sunbreakers on Week 1 and Ghorn on Week 2.

THIS I hate. a lot.

Hate what? Me for doing rough generalization about how relatively easy it's to farm Atheon or that farming Atheon is relatively easy giving people end game lootz?

excowboy

I would say Control for sure - keep out of the standard map flow paths / loiter near, but not in, capture points and pick people off / kill steal. Good luck!

Shito

There is a weekly strike that will give you 3/6/9 coins, depending on the difficulty.
You can only win a total of 9 strange coins per week with this. After that, you are left to RNGesus, and random coins when decoding an engram.

Wait how do I look at my Vault now in the new iOS APP?

Can I still see how many strange coins (and other items) I have in the vault with the APP,
or does it just show that I have strange coins (etc)?
It used to show that...
It's under the tower map and you can't see the quantity :(

Jinjo

EDIT: Oh yeah, nothing worth buying this week. I have it all except third man. I need 2 more motes to roll the dice on an engram again. I'll roll the dice, and if I don't get third man, I'll buy it. It's not even like I need to save the coins, I have 100 strange coins thanks to Xur selling endless dupes for the last month. I wish I'd bought Red Death when I have a chance now. I was short sighted.

Gjallarhorn was on sale week 2, not the first week. First week was Red Death. I had enough coins to buy it back then, but I didn't, since I had just gotten a Thunderlord. (I have 3 Ballarhorns now in case you're gonna call me an idiot for passing on it lol.) I actually didn't buy anything at all back then, because I also got the Helm of Inmost light in a drop a few days prior to then. Glad I didn't cause that enabled me to buy Suros Regime & Crest of Alpha Lupi in week three. Obviously the old loot cave was really good for strange coins and motes of light. Had never done the weekly at that point too.

Xur hasn't sold No Backup Plans since week one though. And offcourse Mask of Third Man made it's first reappearance this week since week 1. And let's not talk about the Sunbreakers lol.

Bizazedo

I certainly don't get people hating Xur :(
The only "legit" reason to hate on Xur is that he makes acquiring Exotics too easy. I think I'm up to 7 or 8 exotics that have nothing to do with Xur....out of 20 or so exotics I have. I'll have to count it up again.

And if that doesn't sound so bad, it's just because I got Mida MultiTool, Gjallahorn, and Last Word within a few days of each other and Universal Remote on last weeks Nightfall. before that I was at 3 or 4 exotics out of 15-16.

But yeah, he's needed or else people would really hate the RNG / rarity. People don't like hard games.

Deku Tree

It's under the tower map and you can't see the quantity :(

Yeah that stinks! We used to be able to see the quantity of our items in the Vault. Now they update the iOS app and we lose that ability... why are you taking stuff away from us Bungie? I want to see my 25 strange coins in the Vault (after I bought everything that I wanted from Xur this week). And BTW where is your promised day 1 full sized iPad App Bungie?

I have done 2 nightfalls so far. First one, I just got a purple engram that turned into The Culling machine gun. Second one, I straight up got The Culling machine gun.

Meanwhile my friend was with me and got Gjallarhorn last week and then Plan-C this week.

*sigh* I don't know why I keep playing this game.

Okay, advise me.

Where I am: I'm a lv28 Titan, with no exotic armor and maxed out legendaries, except the helmet which is close. I have one single exotic weapon, The Last Word, that I received in a lucky drop. I've completed normal Raid once (got nothing but Chatterwhite), but I've made friends and will definitely get to run it more.

What I want to know: I have 41 Strange Coins saved up. Should I give any to Xur? The first time I had enough to buy anything from him, I didn't because he was selling Armamentarium and I kinda wanted one of the helmets instead. Then he had Armamentarium again the next week, and again a third time. Maybe I should go ahead and buy Alpha Lupi. I mean, it does look cool, and then I could get to lv 29. And I could worry about picking up Inmost Light and/or Saint 14 when it comes around, although knowing my luck, that'll be next week.

And as for Truth, I guess I probably don't need it, although I do have a Thorn bounty I've been sitting on forever... I guess it could help there. But getting Thorn is kind of a low priority for me now that I have TLW.

I don't know. Maybe I should just save my coins one more week. But they sure are burning a hole in my pocket.

maomaoIYP

OMFG. Twice I made it with my alt hunter to the tank in nightfall, twice the fucker gets a lucky shot past the two trees, cliffs and fucking rock to get me in one shot.

BadAss2961

I was half asleep when I checked Xur and for a sec I thought Truth was Gjallar :(
Z7Xxb.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom