• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jito

Banned
Sooo this weeks weekly update, anyone actually expecting any news on anything? As far as I can tell from last week, all the upcoming updates are going to be just a chance to advertise the DLC more until it comes out.

Cømet

Banned
so, also in need of some advice.

my main-hunter (almost maxed out including exotic armor) doesnt have an exotic helmet. If I understand correctly; raid-helmets are hard to come by. So if I want to get to level 30, I can do a few things:

- buy a helmet-engram from Xur and wish for luck
- buy Mask of the Third Man from Xur (I guess it's pretty neat since I mostly play as bladedancer in PvE)
- just wait for a exotic Hunter helmet drop.

what to do what to do.

If you're usually a Bladedancer, or like your helmets to not look shit, get the Third Man. Most hunter helms look like crap! And the helm is the hardest bit of raid gear to get (in theory), being HM Atheon only.

It'll save you a lot of time (or should anyway).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Cømet;137777347 said:
I think of it more as pining for Fatebringer, like I'm pining for Jellohorn ;) But damn son get on it, I might not have a wide selection of end-game HCs right now but I'm gonna be hard pushed to want to replace FB!

I think the odds of Templar dropping him are fairly good, every time I've done it at least two have gotten it. Last time I got FB and Praetorian Foil, the time before FB and Praedyth's Revenge. Once you get started it won't take you long to get. And if you need a HM hand I'm totally there to lend it!

NB: Wish I had as much luck with getting raid armour. Just need Corrective Measure and Hezen Vengence now.
Thanks a ton. :) And yeah, I'm becoming quite proud of my hand cannon collection but Fatebringer would be the Legendary centerpiece :p

Only gloves for me armor-wise so far, but Corrective Measure was the first raid weapon I got, and I also landed Hezen Vengeance :p They're fantastic.

I think it has a lot to do with why people dislike Xur. When you can make enough of a enough of a currency to get one or two items a week it diminishes the sense of accomplishment. However, if you had to save up for a couple weeks and be more picky about what you bought, it will feel like more of a reward when you were finally able to purchase it.

I only have one character and I constantly get around 20 to 30 coins just playing. I get the usual 9 from the 28 weekly, and then I get a bunch of blue engrams from playing throughout the week, specially from tiger strikes. Many of these blues turn into coins.

The current system works. If you play just a bit of course you won't have enough in a week to get anything. If you play a lot you can buy stuff, and feel like you've achieved something.

People are not starting to hate Xur because of this. They're starting to hate Xur because of the limited selection. If Xur also sold random legendaries or was another way to earn raid gear for those of us who've done many raids and got jack shit, then you wouldn't see this kind of reaction.

Honestly, I love Xur. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have half the stuff I have.

Hoodbury

I believe it does. You have a rating on your Bungie profile. Also, people are eventually getting better / getting better weapons. Some are even learning heavy weapon ammo exists!

In the beginning, I wracked up a bunch of deaths, started at about a .70 K/D. This progressed for awhile, leaving me a large hole to dig out of.

Since then, gotten to 1.3 or 1.4 ish, I forget. With how many kills that took, it basically means I'm rocking at a low point 1.5 K/D usually and if I get below a 1, it's incredibly rare. My last two games last night were 3.38 and 4 k/d (and the 4 k/d game I had I had 32 kills, it wasn't a 4-0 venture). I was running solo in both games.

I bring this up because the main turnaround for me, as a Titan, and since you're a Titan, was three things. First, I stopped running around corners if I know / radar heavily suggests someone is there. Period. Shotgun deaths piss me off. Related to that, I use radar / map knowledge to know where people are going to go during swings in the fight and try to take advantage.

The second big one, and perhaps of more interest to you, is the lightning grenade. [editor's note: I have Armamentarium]. It has, by itself, made it so going below a 1 k/d was a rare instance. The grenade is incredible. It's a two hit kill and if you're really good at tossing it, you can easily, EASILY get multikills with it. A few enemy guys capping B on Twilight Gap? Toss it down and hit the back wall. It pulses once as soon as it hits, causing 122 damage. If they don't move they're dead in two seconds if the second pulse catches them. If they do move, I gun their wounded asses down.

Other spots are points B on Blind Watch and Firebase Delphi. People on B? Lightning Grenade kills errybody.

I know I've used point Bs three times, but Lightnings are amazing in Salvage and Control. They're even good in other modes because you can angle it to hit walls and hit people hiding behind walls, keeping you safe. Hell, while running away from people I've attached it to a wall and killed two pursuers because the distance it's lightning pulses go is craaaaazy.

I've gotten some insane angled tosses/kills due to it. It's the best grenade the Titan has and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

Third is learn to love Control and Salvage. Salvage I only run if I'm with at least one other person and you can steamroll people so much. Sadly, I haven't played it enough as it's rare, but a teammate got a K/D of 17 in Salvage once. My high is 12 or 14, I forget.

Summation: Take it slow, aim for the head, LEARN LIGHTNING GRENADES, and play "easier" game modes like Control or learn to crush with a team in Salvage etc.
Thanks for the post. I'll try to keep these in mind. I too die so much from shotties it drives me nuts. I'll try and not round corners when I see red on my radar. I see it and think I can get the kill but then I'm one shotted. I'll let them come to me and see if that helps.

I use the magnetic grenade and when I switched to that at first it was treating me well, but lately it doesn't seem as magnetic as it use to be and just flies right past the person and does nothing. As a defender I don't have the lightning grenade but I'll try the spike one, I think it's similar to the lightning.

Control is about all I play. 426 games of it. I'll play the others if I have a bounty and am up for a different mode but like in CoD, I prefer objective modes to just TDM's or free for all. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm a flag capper, I see those things and can't help myself, I just have to get in on the caps so I know I'm going to die a lot going for them. And ever since I found out about Destiny Tracker and noticed I'm in the top 1 percentile for caps I just use that as fuel to cap even more, heh. Maybe that's why my KDR went down, I just suicide for caps too much now even more than I did before.

zewone

It really isn't "the best gear." exotics have a lot of limitations. they're very important though. There's not a particularly good equivalent in any other game. the itemization in general has nothing to do with diablo/pso/BL. There is gear you ABSOLUTELY NEED to hit level 30 that Xur will never, ever sell.

You can substitute a missing raid piece to get you to 30. And any exotic equipment has better perks than raid gear.
If you could run a build with Hawkmoon, Icebreaker, and Gjallahorn at the same time, that is likely the most damaging build. Likewise, if you were able to run all exotics on your armor, it will be better than wearing gear bought from a vanguard. The best exotic will always be better than the best legendary. Exotics are absolutely "the best gear".

SkylineRKR

so, also in need of some advice.

my main-hunter (almost maxed out including exotic armor) doesnt have an exotic helmet. If I understand correctly; raid-helmets are hard to come by. So if I want to get to level 30, I can do a few things:

- buy a helmet-engram from Xur and wish for luck
- buy Mask of the Third Man from Xur (I guess it's pretty neat since I mostly play as bladedancer in PvE)
- just wait for a exotic Hunter helmet drop.

what to do what to do.

Buy helmet engram first and try your luck. Motes are right now only useful for this, or a class item from the speaker.

Mask of the Third man looks cool, but it mostly affects arc blade which is completely useless in high level PvE content. But, level 30 is a huge leap over level 29. My level 29 buddies cap at 9k crit against Atheon, while I do 13k for example.

Tovarisc

I think it has a lot to do with why people dislike Xur. When you can make enough of a enough of a currency to get one or two items a week it diminishes the sense of accomplishment. However, if you had to save up for a couple weeks and be more picky about what you bought, it will feel like more of a reward when you were finally able to purchase it.

Same time you would need to start giving out A LOT less Coins in general. Now I can get enough coins each week to afford 1-2 items from Xûr / week and this is on only one character. Without actually grinding for them, they just keep coming at me from everywhere :(

If I really went after Coins with all 3 of my characters I would be swimming in em fuckers.

sitting at over 110+ coins

Milennia

Yes, I know you would. You're a powergamer I remember from WoW ;). I was trying to be reasonable, though, since 30 coins is a lot for a more normal gamer. It's not for me, but real life buds at work rocking one character barely hit 15 in a week and this would be just for a chance.

=p yeah i think its a good idea to add in exotic engrams when the new pac drops and we get some more weapons, i think hats what they are waiting for...

i hope so

Laughlin

I don't have a problem with any of the exotic bounties. they give you a guaranteed exotic. if you can't pull off the requirements you don't get the exotic. there's such a ridiculous spectrum of opinions here it just blows me away. like three posts apart, you'll have a post saying the Thorn bounty is horrendous design because it forces you to do shit you don't want to and it makes it way too hard to get, and a post saying Xur is awful because it makes exotics too easy to get.

per the bold, and any quotes about Bungie saying that about gear:

Every single piece of Raid gear is only obtainable in the Raid. If not for the cheese, all of it would fit the bill of seeing it and recognizing what a player had accomplished to get it. Furthermore, the exotic bounties basically give you an explicit story to tell- not that they're all equally interesting- of how you acquired that item.

I have no idea why the Mythoclast would have this effect on you any longer considering how many have been obtained by joining someone's game and sitting in the corner of a room while a Sunsinger threw some grenades...

It really isn't "the best gear." exotics have a lot of limitations. they're very important though. There's not a particularly good equivalent in any other game. the itemization in general has nothing to do with diablo/pso/BL. There is gear you ABSOLUTELY NEED to hit level 30 that Xur will never, ever sell.

They're a very solid piece, do you have an exotic armor piece yet?

I do not.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I only have one character and I constantly get around 20 to 30 coins just playing. I get the usual 9 from the 28 weekly, and then I get a bunch of blue engrams from playing throughout the week, specially from tiger strikes. Many of these blues turn into coins.

The current system works. If you play just a bit of course you won't have enough in a week to get anything. If you play a lot you can buy stuff, and feel like you've achieved something.

People are not starting to hate Xur because of this. They're starting to hate Xur because of the limited selection. If Xur also sold random legendaries or was another way to earn raid gear for those of us who've done many raids and got jack shit, then you wouldn't see this kind of reaction.

Honestly, I love Xur. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have half the stuff I have.
<3

Xur shouldn't sell legendaries or Raid gear- it's not his role. I'm not convinced you wouldn't see this kind of reaction no matter what he sold though. In week one, I thought a guaranteed, non-RNG source of Exotics would be universally enjoyed by everyone. I was wrong salad.
You can substitute a missing raid piece to get you to 30.
Which incentivizes having one of each armor class, which encourages experimenting with builds. All good stuff.
And any exotic equipment has better perks than raid gear.
If you could run a build with Hawkmoon, Icebreaker, and Gjallahorn at the same time, that is likely the most damaging build. Likewise, if you were able to run all exotics on your armor, it will be better than wearing gear bought from a vanguard.
Which you can't do. All of this, everything you're saying right here is making my argument for me.
The best exotic will always be better than the best legendary.
As they should be.
Exotics are absolutely "the best gear".
Except you need legendaries, and you need raid gear to hit 30... guess we're probably going in circles by this point. Agree to disagree :)
I do not.
Buy and enjoy! They look cool, and this is what you can do with them:
DentalIllAgama.gif

Tovarisc

Buy and enjoy! They look cool, and this is what you can do with them:
DentalIllAgama.gif

Ah old and good "Sunbro carpetbomber build", good fun in control. Looks so funny and deadly when you just fill cap and area around it with solar grenades, it's like making enemy walk on Sun.

As they turn into ash.

Mindlog

I perch on the rocky ledge to the left hand side of the entrance to that area. You can actually sit there with your IB and snipe all the enemies, 3 generals and the tank won't even shoot you as you effortlessly pick off its wheels. It literally won't fire a songle shot at you at that distance.
He shot at me at that spot once, but you have so much time to dodge that it's not a problem. It's a great spot.

Slim pickings from Xur this week. Looks like 100 Heavy Ammo and Emerald Coil for me. Might buy two exotic helm lotto tickets even though the only one I really want is Achlyophage Symbiote.

Sunbro Grenades are so broken that they can actually kill a Defender in his bubble even with Armor Of Light(the massive damage resistance) as long as the grenade gets inside the bubble

Carn82

Cømet;137777911 said:
If you're usually a Bladedancer, or like your helmets to not look shit, get the Third Man. Most hunter helms look like crap! And the helm is the hardest bit of raid gear to get (in theory), being HM Atheon only.

It'll save you a lot of time (or should anyway).

Buy helmet engram first and try your luck. Motes are right now only useful for this, or a class item from the speaker.

Mask of the Third man looks cool, but it mostly affects arc blade which is completely useless in high level PvE content. But, level 30 is a huge leap over level 29. My level 29 buddies cap at 9k crit against Atheon, while I do 13k for example.

Thanks! Gonna try the engram, or else buy the Mask.

This is cool btw:
http://kotaku.com/bungie-sends-one-of-a-kind-destiny-gun-to-man-who-had-b-1655893188

Tovarisc

Sunbro Grenades are so broken that they can actually kill a Defender in his bubble even with Armor Of Light(the massive damage resistance) as long as the grenade gets inside the bubble

Fun fact: Axion Bolt and Firebolt Grenade hit through bubble as long they are thrown directly to surface of bubble.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
imagine what you could do with Heart of Praxic Fire and Sunbreakers if you could equip more than one exotic
hahaha I think about that all the time, I'm reasonably certain it would be the most broken build in the game. Even more solar grenades, and if anyone got in close to shut you down, nearly unlimited-recharge flame shield..

Of course, Pocket Infinity shuts down shielded/Radianced Sunsingers too... :D

Future

I do think xur makes it frighteningly easy to get lots of the best gear. But unfortunately he is the most fun method of seeing said gear. 100s of hours played and I've yet to see one yellow engram. Had one purple turn into an exotic that dropped from some random goon in some random mission that wasn't nightfall or raid or anything interesting. This means tactics like shoot in a cave seem as viable as any to get the best gear lowering incentive to do hard tasks

Except for Xur. Since his currency is guaranteed doing weeklies and appears often in public events and nightfall, finally I am encouraged to do harder tasks with guaranteed results. The only thing not guaranteed is what he sells, but at least I'm on the road to something. I can get guaranteed results by farming factions, but that grind is long and dull and while its gear you will need at some stage, it's not the best gear. And I can't get everything from Xur, making me still want to raid

Xur would be better to me if they simply had more loot overall. His selection will start to repeat because they probably don't want him to give you everything, lowering his relevance to high level players (although highly relevant to players with alts like me)

Any tips for going up against the health regenning praetorian in the right portal on Atheon hard?

Normally, my team mates put down some nades, I sneak around the left column then hulk smash from mid air. Praetorian loses shields and most of its health that maybe one/maybe two more heavy hits should take it out, but the fucking health regen means I'm in red zone by the time I kill him and get shot to shit by goblins. Team mates would help, but I they don't focus on oracles completely we get screwed....

Deku Tree

I bought sun breakers but the only way I can equip them is if I ever get the hard mode raid helmet, or some iron banner helmet, or some DLC helmet. No way I am buying or equipping a 27 light helmet for sun breakers...

Maybe Xur's inventory is my fault, as Truth is the 1 of 2 exotic weapons I have ever gotten to drop. The other will not enter his loot table
Mythoclast

Pickman

Anyone else hope that eventually we have to fight the Jovians and they have a fleet of battleships called the Kodan Armada?

LordofPwn

I do think xur makes it frighteningly easy to get lots of the best gear. But unfortunately he is the most fun method of seeing said gear. 100s of hours played and I've yet to see one yellow engram. Had one purple turn into an exotic that dropped from some random goon in some random mission that wasn't nightfall or raid or anything interesting. This means tactics like shoot in a cave seem as viable as any to get the best gear lowering incentive to do hard tasks

Except for Xur. Since his currency is guaranteed doing weeklies and appears often in public events and nightfall, finally I am encouraged to do harder tasks with guaranteed results. The only thing not guaranteed is what he sells, but at least I'm on the road to something. I can get guaranteed results by farming factions, but that grind is long and dull and while its gear you will need at some stage, it's not the best gear. And I can't get everything from Xur, making me still want to raid

Xur would be better to me if they simply had more loot overall. His selection will start to repeat because they probably don't want him to give you everything, lowering his relevance to high level players (although highly relevant to players with alts like me)

i don't believe exotic engrams drop from anything.
someone please prove me wrong and give me hope

Cømet

Banned
I wonder how much exotic loot will be added to the pool with the DLC. I mean, surely it won't be locked behind the paywall like the raid/special missions loot, I assume they'll be adding the standard exotics and legendaries to the loot pools for regular players to get too? Surely. Will they even add more normal legendaries?

Any tips for going up against the health regenning praetorian in the right portal on Atheon hard?

Normally, my team mates put down some nades, I sneak around the left column then hulk smash from mid air. Praetorian loses shields and most of its health that maybe one/maybe two more heavy hits should take it out, but the fucking health regen means I'm in red zone by the time I kill him and get shot to shit by goblins. Team mates would help, but I they don't focus on oracles completely we get screwed....

Rocket launch his ass.

LordofPwn

Cømet;137781064 said:
I wonder how much exotic loot will be added to the pool with the DLC. I mean, surely it won't be locked behind the paywall like the raid/special missions loot, I assume they'll be adding the standard exotics and legendaries to the loot pools for regular players to get too? Surely. Will they even add more normal legendaries?

This is a question i too would like answered.

So, first thing, you want an Exotic helmet- do you have 25 motes? You have a 3/9 (one in three) chance of getting one you can use, which isn't great, but motes are otherwise used only for cosmetics.

Alpha Lupi ain't a bad piece. It's great for "general PvE" and Nightfalls especially- the quick revive can save runs. If you're already level 28 I don't know, but if you're not yet, go for it.

Truth is worth the coins. It'll be your go-to for bosses until you get something better and CLEANS up during Void burns.

Thanks Hawk! I don't have 25 motes (isn't it 23?), I only have 17 for the moment. I AM already 28, so I guess I'll skip Lupi. It's a bummer, I always loved it for the way it looks all the way back to when Destiny wasn't out yet, but practically, I know it's not really what I need.

I'll go ahead and buy Truth this week, I reckon. I do have a maxed Unfriendly Giant, but it's solar, so now I'll have a good Void launcher to compliment it.

100s of hours played and I've yet to see one yellow engram.

IIRC exotic engrams don't actually drop in the wild. There was a post on reddit (?) that listed Xur's loot table and it's basically all exotics that aren't exclusives (hawkmoon) and cant be obtained without completing a specific task (bounty/raid).

Edit: FYI here's the table that people found by changing the date on their console: http://planetdestiny.com/xurs-entire-loot-table/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Affording everything you want from Xur every week really isn't trivial to everyone who plays Destiny. I swear. I don't think there's a such thing as an exotic engram drop
Torn on this. There are still items he can sell that I want. More loot means a lower chance of the thing I want each week.

*shrug* I'm sure eventually there will be more added to his table though.

Rocket launch his ass.

I would have to depend on others as im usually the relic carrier :(... I would rocket him first but people I play with (usually 29s) panic, pick up the relic and die. Which means restart and lose half my rocket ammo..... Sick of using up like 7 heavy synths and getting nowhere

Cømet

Banned
This is a question i too would like answered.

One for the weekly Q&A I think!

Oh fuck I am so sorry I didn't see your post :S

god dammit i'm sorry mate....

No worries bud, I probably should keep a closer eye on the raid gaf thread. On the bright side, I did read another (disgustingly) boring journal that I needed to get done :p This dissertation would be going a lot quicker if I had to go to the workplace offices to do it. Too many distractions sitting at home...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Keep jump smashing! Just a tinyhop and smash. You can also use the Super shot on him if your aim is good.
I bought sun breakers but the only way I can equip them is if I ever get the hard mode raid helmet, or some iron banner helmet, or some DLC helmet. No way I am buying or equipping a 27 light helmet for sun breakers...
Well, it makes no difference in the Crucible, if the helm has decent perks.

Thanks Hawk! I don't have 25 motes (isn't it 23?), I only have 17 for the moment. I AM already 28, so I guess I'll skip Lupi. It's a bummer, I always loved it for the way it looks all the way back to when Destiny wasn't out yet, but practically, I know it's not really what I need.

I'll go ahead and buy Truth this week, I reckon. I do have a maxed Unfriendly Giant, but it's solar, so now I'll have a good Void launcher to compliment it.
Maybe it is 23, oops. Truth is a great launcher, and you definitely want a good heavy void of some kind.

You know what though, if you really really want Alpha Lupi in particular then I actually kinda say screw all the other advice. Do what's the most fun for you. It is a badass-looking chestpiece.

Are there any other weeklies you can run this week? Getting to 30 from 17 isn't out of the question if so.

Tovarisc

Nuke them down with RPG's [Truth / Ghorn] before lag / bugs kick in causing them to "regen" HP back.

Navy Bean

Torn on this. There are still items he can sell that I want. More loot means a lower chance of the thing I want each week.

*shrug* I'm sure eventually there will be more added to his table though.

This game absolutely needs more loot along with a revised loot system. I've run the raids and the Nighfall for weeks and only received one or two actually useful items. It's just a terrible system that doesn't reliably reward playing through the hardest content. Plus, if you do get some lucky drops then you really notice the lack of loot as there is almost no incentive to keep grinding (aside from the obvious joys of shooting things in the face).

Greenymac

Take down the weak guys first...It really helps if the non relic guys toss some grenades before they start on oracles. A good rocket launcher helps. Remember you can drop the relic for a few seconds and pick it back up to help with oracles if you HAVE to.

ethomaz

Banned
The game doesn't use any skill matching, and if it does, it's broke.

The game needs ranks just like Halo prior to Reach.

The patch will probably hit a week or two before the DLC, should be pretty substantial given the length of time it's taken.
It does... and it is working in some way.

I hardly get a match where the guys are not in the same level than me... like I said before most my matches are closes like 20000 vs 18000 for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom