• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shito

Okay, advise me.

Where I am: I'm a lv28 Titan, with no exotic armor and maxed out legendaries, except the helmet which is close. I have one single exotic weapon, The Last Word, that I received in a lucky drop. I've completed normal Raid once (got nothing but Chatterwhite), but I've made friends and will definitely get to run it more.

What I want to know: I have 41 Strange Coins saved up. Should I give any to Xur? The first time I had enough to buy anything from him, I didn't because he was selling Armamentarium and I kinda wanted one of the helmets instead. Then he had Armamentarium again the next week, and again a third time. Maybe I should go ahead and buy Alpha Lupi. I mean, it does look cool, and then I could get to lv 29. And I could worry about picking up Inmost Light or whatever when it comes around, although knowing my luck, that'll be next week.

And as for Truth, I guess I probably don't need it, although I do have a Thorn bounty I've been sitting on forever... I guess it could help there. But getting Thorn is kind of a low priority for me now that I have TLW.

I don't know. Maybe I should just save my coins one more week. But they sure are burning a hole in my pocket.
I'm sorry to be the one, but: you should have bought Armamentarium. This is a crazy good set of perks, probably one of the best exotic armors in the whole game.
How many motes do you have? You should try betting on the helmet engram first...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
that fucker gave you the hawkmoon bro, is that how you treat your friends
So far as I'm concerned, the Speaker gave me Hawkmoon. Blessing of the Gifted mon ami
Hate what? Me for doing rough generalization about how relatively easy it's to farm Atheon or that farming Atheon is relatively easy giving people end game lootz?
...the bold part. Specifically the permeation of people getting hard checkpoints at atheon and obtaining the rewards via one play who could do the cheese.

I don't want to make anyone feel bad for choosing to avail themselves of cheese, and have absolutely no problem with it- none at ALL- when used for the weekly strike content. But it makes me feel just a little sad thinking about how many people out there have some of the items I want the most in the entire game, from the absolute most difficult content in the game, as a result of something that took potentially no skill or even effort :-/ As someone who plans to pursue them legitimately, it's going to feel really good whenever I manage to get my hands on Fatebringer or the Mythoclast, but with just a twinge of discomfort thinking about how so many people got them without even necessarily clearing the raid legitimately one time. *shrug* It's not something that I'm going to let affect my fun but I guess I can't help but look at it from the perspective of the raid designers. It must feel so shitty to see content you put a lot of effort into making difficult trivialized like that for so many people.

I know a bunch of people reading this are probably thinking "um, with all the fucking glitches, I had to cheese Atheon to even kill him at all on Hard after trying 20 times" and I completely sympathize with that, and that's a totally different story from just grabbing/hopping in for the checkpoint and standing around for the cheese in my mind.

I hope I didn't offend anyone. I COMPLETELY understand the appeal of using the cheese when it makes such good rewards so easy to get. And obviously it's all on Bungie for allowing such simplistic methods of circumventing design to provide the same rewards. Just my perspective.

I'm sorry to be the one, but: you should have bought Armamentarium. This is a crazy good set of perks, probably one of the best exotic armors in the whole game.
How many motes do you have? You should try betting on the helmet engram first...

Yeah, I guess I probably should have. And Alpha Lupi, though it looks cool, has no perks that work very well for me (wielding TLW; preference for Striker).

I did the mote gamble last week; got warlock gear and I don't quite have enough to do it again this week.

Dante316

Okay, advise me.

Where I am: I'm a lv28 Titan, with no exotic armor and maxed out legendaries, except the helmet which is close. I have one single exotic weapon, The Last Word, that I received in a lucky drop. I've completed normal Raid once (got nothing but Chatterwhite), but I've made friends and will definitely get to run it more.

What I want to know: I have 41 Strange Coins saved up. Should I give any to Xur? The first time I had enough to buy anything from him, I didn't because he was selling Armamentarium and I kinda wanted one of the helmets instead. Then he had Armamentarium again the next week, and again a third time. Maybe I should go ahead and buy Alpha Lupi. I mean, it does look cool, and then I could get to lv 29. And I could worry about picking up Inmost Light and/or Saint 14 when it comes around, although knowing my luck, that'll be next week.

And as for Truth, I guess I probably don't need it, although I do have a Thorn bounty I've been sitting on forever... I guess it could help there. But getting Thorn is kind of a low priority for me now that I have TLW.

I don't know. Maybe I should just save my coins one more week. But they sure are burning a hole in my pocket.

Ouch, how did you not buy the armentairum, one of the best exotic armors. As for crest idk if its worth it...

Cømet

Banned
So far as I'm concerned, the Speaker gave me Hawkmoon. Blessing of the Gifted mon ami

...the bold part. Specifically the permeation of people getting hard checkpoints at atheon and obtaining the rewards via one play who could do the cheese.

I don't want to make anyone feel bad for choosing to avail themselves of cheese, and have absolutely no problem with it- none at ALL- when used for the weekly strike content. But it makes me feel just a little sad thinking about how many people out there have some of the items I want the most in the entire game, from the absolute most difficult content in the game, as a result of something that took potentially no skill or even effort :-/ As someone who plans to pursue them legitimately, it's going to feel really good whenever I manage to get my hands on Fatebringer or the Mythoclast, but with just a twinge of discomfort thinking about how so many people got them without even necessarily clearing the raid legitimately one time. *shrug* It's not something that I'm going to let affect my fun but I guess I can't help but look at it from the perspective of the raid designers. It must feel so shitty to see content you put a lot of effort into making difficult trivialized like that for so many people.

I know a bunch of people reading this are probably thinking "um, with all the fucking glitches, I had to cheese Atheon to even kill him at all on Hard after trying 20 times" and I completely sympathize with that, and that's a totally different story from just grabbing/hopping in for the checkpoint and standing around for the cheese in my mind.

I hope I didn't offend anyone. I COMPLETELY understand the appeal of using the cheese when it makes such good rewards so easy to get. And obviously it's all on Bungie for allowing such simplistic methods of circumventing design to provide the same rewards. Just my perspective.

There'll always be those lazy sods who don't put in any effort, even once, no matter the game. Even a game like Mario Kart Wii had cheaters ruining the time trial leaderboards, how pathetic is that?

You'll get it soon enough. I've got three now, and one I don't even use- it'd be all yours if trading were a thing. At least it's a gun worth the wait. Really love my Fatebringers (which is why I'm levelling two).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay, advise me.

What I want to know: I have 41 Strange Coins saved up. Should I give any to Xur? The first time I had enough to buy anything from him, I didn't because he was selling Armamentarium and I kinda wanted one of the helmets instead. Then he had Armamentarium again the next week, and again a third time. Maybe I should go ahead and buy Alpha Lupi. I mean, it does look cool, and then I could get to lv 29. And I could worry about picking up Inmost Light and/or Saint 14 when it comes around, although knowing my luck, that'll be next week.

So, first thing, you want an Exotic helmet- do you have 25 motes? You have a 3/9 (one in three) chance of getting one you can use, which isn't great, but motes are otherwise used only for cosmetics.

Alpha Lupi ain't a bad piece. It's great for "general PvE" and Nightfalls especially- the quick revive can save runs. If you're already level 28 I don't know, but if you're not yet, go for it.

Truth is worth the coins. It'll be your go-to for bosses until you get something better and CLEANS up during Void burns.
The only "legit" reason to hate on Xur is that he makes acquiring Exotics too easy.
I don't consider that a legit reason at all!

1) He can't sell every exotic
2) What is or isn't "too easy" is so beyond skewed on this forum that it drives me nuts. We seem to lose sight of where we are in the playerbase skill/intensive play curve like every 30 seconds. There are lots of people that struggle to get their Weekly done at all and have coins to bring to the table each weekend, let alone so many that you can just buy what you want at will (like many of us can)
3) Exotics aren't meant to be super-exclusive, painfully rare items that the average player has no hope of ever acquiring. They're a crucial part of gameplay and even more casual players NEED access to them to get the most out of the game. If this concept offends you, if it's too much of a concession to the casual crowd or you don't want your Exotic of choice to be "available to everyone," Destiny is literally at odds with you philosophically. You'll be butting heads with its design every step of the way

edit: To be clear, I'm not saying "you," Bizazedo, just the generic you
But yeah, he's needed or else people would really hate the RNG / rarity. People don't like hard games.
lol yeah, it's nice that he keeps people from hating on the game XD
It's pretty funny.
It's... kinda funny :X

Honestly guys. I'm fairly sure i'd have quit by now if not for Xur :-/ Several of my most prized items are from his stock, and I know I earned them rather than just getting lucky. Xur is everything the Cryptarch is not, it hurts my soul to see them compared.

Lima

Anyone on Xbox One wanna run some salvage tonight or any other time this weekend? My usual crew is playing that piece of shit advanced warfare and I hate it.

zewone

Honestly guys. I'm fairly sure i'd have quit by now if not for Xur :-/ Several of my most prized items are from his stock, and I know I earned them rather than just getting lucky. Xur is everything the Cryptarch is not, it hurts my soul to see them compared.

Earned is a stretch regarding Xur's exotics. If anything, getting lucky requires more time spent than just doing weeklys and saving coins.

jred2k

I agree with your sentiments. I think the biggest problem is Bungie fixing things when it's already too late while simultaneously giving no incentive to do it the right way. From the loot cave on, it's felt like if you try and play this game the way it was intentionally designed, you're doing yourself a disservice.

I don't know if you'd agree, but I've always had a problem with them allowing you to use the vault across all characters for things like Strange Coins and Motes of Light. I can understand the need for it if you get a piece of equipment you can't use with one character, but allowing the people with the most time to get up to 27 SCs a week while capping everyone else at 9 just seems broken to me.

So, first thing, you want an Exotic helmet- do you have 25 motes? You have a 3/9 (one in three) chance of getting one you can use, which isn't great, but motes are otherwise used only for cosmetics.

Why is it a 2/9 chance? Shouldn't it be 1/3? Or are there more helms/possibilities for the other classes?

Edit: edited.

Friday Morning? time to look up what Xur has today and end up enraged at his trolling! *reads posts* Sunbreakers???? Sunbreakers???? So Sunbreakers 4, Praxic Fire 0 Truth? We just had that shit! Where's Ballerhorn, you know, the only weapon that he sold too early for most to have enough coins and then never sold again? Dark Lord Xur strikes again! Death to Xur! Off with his head! One day you will be revealed as the final boss of the final raid and I shall dance on your corps, dance I say!

Xur is Rahool's secret identity. He gets a body double to play Cryptarch when Xur "visits".

This....makes too much sense. They aren't evil brothers, they are the same douchey evil trolling conniving scumbag! Shove some incense in your hood to make a smokey effect to throw people off..brilliant!

And now back to your regular scheduled programming of discussing glitches, further lamenting what gear we don't have, and flawless Raid attempts.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Cømet;137773450 said:
There'll always be those lazy sods who don't put in any effort, even once, no matter the game. Even a game like Mario Kart Wii had cheaters ruining the time trial leaderboards, how pathetic is that?

You'll get it soon enough. I've got three now, and one I don't even use- it'd be all yours if trading were a thing. At least it's a gun worth the wait. Really love my Fatebringers (which is why I'm levelling two).
Oh man, please don't think I was complaining about not having Fatebringer! I haven't even done the hard raid yet. I'm glad I don't have it yet, honestly (I'm sure I'll change my tune after doing hard Templar 6 times with no drop, but for now)... it'll feel like something when it does drop for me :)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=928186

guys I know you want your gjallarhorn, but this is taking things too far.
well... damn I. don't even know where to start. just a game...
Why is it a 2/9 chance? Shouldn't it be 1/3? Or are there more helms/possibilities for the other classes?
I forgot an insurmountable skullfort (which I have XD)

edited it.

JoeTonic

Neo Member
What's the general consensus around Multiplayer-reliant exotic bounties, or any gear that's tied to actual performance?

I see a lot of posts with players saying "I don't play PvP, which makes this bounty impossible", for example.
Isn't that, like, the point? It feels to me like Destiny has very few pieces of gear that can't be earned through sheer grinding. Gear that when you see it makes you think "damn, he must have been though hell to earn that". Off the top of my head it's only Thorn and the Mythoclast that make me admire the player wielding it. Everything else is just a slow grind or completely RNG based.
It doesn't exactly create a 'tale' behind your gear if you just cashed in an arbitrary currency to some hunchback in a hood, or played the same strike 50 times.

I feel like I'm against the majority here though. Not sure.

Tovarisc

I don't know if you'd agree, but I've always had a problem with them allowing you to use the vault across all characters for things like Strange Coins and Motes of Light. I can understand the need for it if you get a piece of equipment you can't use with one character, but allowing the people with the most time to get up to 27 SCs a week while capping everyone else at 9 just seems broken to me.

If I have time and put that time and effort into leveling 3 characters to state where I can clear Weekly + Nightfall + Raid with them each week I want be rewarded for it accordingly.

Game already makes you feel that no matter how much time you invest into it you aren't getting rewarded enough, at least it seems to be very common feel about Destiny, so why something like Coin gains should be normalized just because X played less than Y that week?

Also without Mote + Coin share I would just abandon my hunter alt. Gearing up is such chore and awful experience as you get rewarded so little for time invested. Hours of strikes, 0 legendaries gotten and hunter is stuck at level 25.

Shito

What's the general consensus around Multiplayer-reliant exotic bounties, or any gear that's tied to actual performance?

I see a lot of posts with players saying "I don't play PvP, which makes this bounty impossible", for example.
Isn't that, like, the point? It feels to me like Destiny has very few pieces of gear that can't be earned through sheer grinding. Gear that when you see it makes you think "damn, he must have been though hell to earn that". Off the top of my head it's only Thorn and the Mythoclast that make me admire the player wielding it. Everything else is just a slow grind or completely RNG based.
It doesn't exactly create a 'tale' behind your gear if you just cashed in an arbitrary currency to some hunchback in a hood, or played the same strike 50 times.

I would agree with you if we had some interesting / challenging pve-only exotic bounties. Or even more pve-only exotic bounties to begin with.
As is, though, I can't agree: nearly every exotic bounty tries to force pvp upon you at one point, which is just not a good idea.

ERMint13

I still am without a Exotic hand cannon or Fatebringer. I just can't get them to roll. I think I have all of the exotics(and raid guns) but for the handcannons and gallahorn.

I am hoping one of them drops soon. I've done hard raid at least 6-8 times by now so it's tough watching others get it on a 2nd run through.

At some point Xur has to sell the Last Word right?

zewone

I agree. Xur is my least favorite part of the game.

I've only played a few other loot/MMO games (PSO,BL1&2, FFXI&XIV) and I can't think of any time a RNG loot game would just sell you the best gear.

vctor182

My main hunter, lvl 28, doesnt have an exotic armor yet my lvl 7 warlock has Sunbreakers and Skull of Dire Ahamkara waiting in the vault WTF??

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Earned is a stretch regarding Xur's exotics. If anything, getting lucky requires more time spent than just doing weeklys and saving coins.
Well... I respect your opinion but disagree completely. Getting lucky doesn't require time, it requires luck. Surely you've heard of people getting three pieces of raid gear and vision of confluence their first-ever run while veterans get 20 energies.

And it sucks a little bit to be told that I haven't earned my coins. I've done every single Weekly at 28 so far legitimately at least once. Even when being helped through with a lower level character and playing cheesy/conservatively with people carrying me, I made sure to return and help someone else with it legit before the week ended.
I agree with your sentiments. I think the biggest problem is Bungie fixing things when it's already too late while simultaneously giving no incentive to do it the right way. From the loot cave on, it's felt like if you try and play this game the way it was intentionally designed, you're doing yourself a disservice.
Well, I guess you mean tangible incentive. For me, it's satisfying to accomplish a challenge as presented regardless of digital reward. But it's minority view, I know, and they do have to do better.
I actually don't agree with that- let's go full hypothetical.

Say you have three characters, after a few months you've got them to ~26-28. From then on, if you do the 28 weekly on a monday, wednesday, and friday night- you have 27 coins to spend on Xur, for whichever of your characters you like. This is skewed toward longitudinal play time- as long as you have the time to play each week, for a brief session, you can obtain the currency to make weekly purchases.

Now contrast a system that would actually skew toward people with the most time (intensive play). Imagine if there were an unlimited amount of coins you could obtain each week, by repeatedly completing a hard strike or what have you. Someone with a ton of time- 8 hours to devote to the game in the course of a day- they could easily earn enough coins to buy every item in Xur's stock, or multiples, every week, solely because of how much free time they had to play.

Any system that doesn't literally time-release rewards will be a compromise on this topic, but this is a pretty decent one.

LordofPwn

i have 3 of the 9 exotic helms, but everytime i buy the engram i only get Achlyophage Symbiote, and Apotheosis Veil, hoping to change that today.

jred2k

If I have time and put that time and effort into leveling 3 characters to state where I can clear Weekly + Nightfall + Raid with them each week I want be rewarded for it accordingly.

Game already makes you feel that no matter how much time you invest into it you aren't getting rewarded enough, at least it seems to be very common feel about Destiny, so why something like Coin gains should be normalized just because X played less than Y that week?

Also without Mote + Coin share I would just abandon my hunter alt. Gearing up is such chore and awful experience as you get rewarded so little for time invested. Hours of strikes, 0 legendaries gotten and hunter is stuck at level 25.

I think it has a lot to do with why people dislike Xur. When you can make enough of a enough of a currency to get one or two items a week it diminishes the sense of accomplishment. However, if you had to save up for a couple weeks and be more picky about what you bought, it will feel like more of a reward when you were finally able to purchase it.

OMFG. Twice I made it with my alt hunter to the tank in nightfall, twice the fucker gets a lucky shot past the two trees, cliffs and fucking rock to get me in one shot.

I perch on the rocky ledge to the left hand side of the entrance to that area. You can actually sit there with your IB and snipe all the enemies, 3 generals and the tank won't even shoot you as you effortlessly pick off its wheels. It literally won't fire a songle shot at you at that distance.

Bizazedo

edit: To be clear, I'm not saying "you," Bizazedo, just the generic you
Haha, I know. I am just playing Devil's Advocate. I don't hate Xur.

I was just saying there is a group of players who want hard games, so for them Xur would be anathema. I could see why they'd be justified in hating him since he immediately makes Suros, for example, no longer prestigious.

Gimme some weapon engrams. Make it 50 Motes, I don't give a fuck.

I am surprised we haven't seen them yet. Make 'em 75 motes!

They should be true trolls and allow us to gamble coins.

30 coins and you have a one in three chance of Gjallahorn! Do you dare?

Milennia

I was just saying there is a group of players who want hard games, so for them Xur would be anathema. I could see why they'd be justified in hating him since he immediately makes Suros, for example, no longer prestigious.

30 coins? id buy 5

Carn82

OMFG. Twice I made it with my alt hunter to the tank in nightfall, twice the fucker gets a lucky shot past the two trees, cliffs and fucking rock to get me in one shot.

I dont like that spot. I prefer the ledge above the entrance (where the vehicles are). great sniping spot.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I don't have a problem with any of the exotic bounties. they give you a guaranteed exotic. if you can't pull off the requirements you don't get the exotic. there's such a ridiculous spectrum of opinions here it just blows me away. like three posts apart, you'll have a post saying the Thorn bounty is horrendous design because it forces you to do shit you don't want to and it makes it way too hard to get, and a post saying Xur is awful because it makes exotics too easy to get.

per the bold, and any quotes about Bungie saying that about gear:

Every single piece of Raid gear is only obtainable in the Raid. If not for the cheese, all of it would fit the bill of seeing it and recognizing what a player had accomplished to get it. Furthermore, the exotic bounties basically give you an explicit story to tell- not that they're all equally interesting- of how you acquired that item.

I have no idea why the Mythoclast would have this effect on you any longer considering how many have been obtained by joining someone's game and sitting in the corner of a room while a Sunsinger threw some grenades...
I agree. Xur is my least favorite part of the game.

I've only played a few other loot/MMO games (PSO,BL1&2, FFXI&XIV) and I can't think of any time a RNG loot game would just sell you the best gear.
It really isn't "the best gear." exotics have a lot of limitations. they're very important though. There's not a particularly good equivalent in any other game. the itemization in general has nothing to do with diablo/pso/BL. There is gear you ABSOLUTELY NEED to hit level 30 that Xur will never, ever sell.
Are Sunbreakers worth buying? I currently have Guns of the Hexen Lords and Nerigal Savant III gloves.
They're a very solid piece, do you have an exotic armor piece yet?

Cømet

Banned
Oh man, please don't think I was complaining about not having Fatebringer! I haven't even done the hard raid yet. I'm glad I don't have it yet, honestly (I'm sure I'll change my tune after doing hard Templar 6 times with no drop, but for now)... it'll feel like something when it does drop for me :)

well... damn I. don't even know where to start. just a game...

I forgot an insurmountable skullfort (which I have XD)

edited it.

I think of it more as pining for Fatebringer, like I'm pining for Jellohorn ;) But damn son get on it, I might not have a wide selection of end-game HCs right now but I'm gonna be hard pushed to want to replace FB!

I think the odds of Templar dropping him are fairly good, every time I've done it at least two have gotten it. Last time I got FB and Praetorian Foil, the time before FB and Praedyth's Revenge. Once you get started it won't take you long to get. And if you need a HM hand I'm totally there to lend it!

NB: Wish I had as much luck with getting raid armour. Just need Corrective Measure and Hezen Vengence now.

Bizazedo

30 coins? id buy 5

Yes, I know you would. You're a powergamer I remember from WoW ;). I was trying to be reasonable, though, since 30 coins is a lot for a more normal gamer. It's not for me, but real life buds at work rocking one character barely hit 15 in a week and this would be just for a chance.

I would gamble them in a hart beat. I bought a couple of things from him that I don't even want, just cause. I still have about 70 coins.

I really wish he sold a stack of platesteel plating. I need a mountain of it. It's the only thing keeping my alt out of the hard raid.

Carn82

so, also in need of some advice.

my main-hunter (almost maxed out including exotic armor) doesnt have an exotic helmet. If I understand correctly; raid-helmets are hard to come by. So if I want to get to level 30, I can do a few things:

- buy a helmet-engram from Xur and wish for luck
- buy Mask of the Third Man from Xur (I guess it's pretty neat since I mostly play as bladedancer in PvE)
- just wait for a exotic Hunter helmet drop.

what to do what to do.

I would gamble them in a hart beat. I bought a couple of things from him that I don't even want, just cause. I still have about 70 coins.

I really wish he sold a stack of platesteel plating. I need a mountain of it. It's the only thing keeping my alt out of the hard raid.
Just buy armor from your vanguard(the dinky green armor)
Guaranteed(albeit expensive) way of getting it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom