• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkham

Any way to cheese the 200 kills with a fusion rifle in Nightfall for the exotic quest?

I just got a 2nd exotic quest on the same character and need to free up a slot lol

don't go where you are supposed to, search out another darkness area with level 28 enemies, if you die fighting them you wont get kicked out to orbit

Any way to cheese the 200 kills with a fusion rifle in Nightfall for the exotic quest?

I just got a 2nd exotic quest on the same character and need to free up a slot lol

Hit the first darkness zone in the nightfall then back out. Then go to an area where you normally go do missions or do the dust palace strike. Any kills there will count and you won't get kicked out should you die. I haven't done the bounty on Mars but I would suggest heading to the subway station with cyclops and the vex warp gates. Should be plenty of enemies there. Shouldn't take more than an 30 mins or so

So The Truth and Sunbreakers again from Xur. Well that plain sucks.

I have Heart of the Praxic Fire and don;t use solar grenades at all so not point in 'breakers really.

I also already have a fully upgraded legendary void RPG. It it worth trading it in for The Truth? I do have the coins to spare.

Truth has tracking that works really well. Besides that probably not

KodaRuss

Having problems going from a Hunter to a Warlock feel slow as hell

Going from Titan and Warlock to the Hunter was really tough for me to get used to the double jump. I kept wanting to tap twice quickly it to get higher up.

Things are all good now that i have unlocked triple jump

Tovarisc

It must be P2P. Once it gets past a certain time say about 10ish which kinda coincides with US peak times, I barely go on. The lag is ridiculous. One time in blind watch, the doors were not even opening for me but I was still getting killed standing in front of them

I also suspect that it's some weird P2P + Matchmaking thing that puts people from across globe into same lobbies causing insane lag issues. Or then it runs on dedicated hw that is located only in US and then matchmakes people into lobbies from across globe which gives players from US insane advantage.

I know some players are actually good in this game, but it's so hard to hear "I have KDR of 4! I have skillz" or stuff like that and not laugh out loud when your own experience with Crucible is lag, garbagio hit detection, doors that don't work, getting shot around corners etc...

Jinjo

Any hard raid groups on PS4 setting out and still need a person? Titan lv30 here, looking for a group. I'm the go-to relic carrier in my normal group, so I got plenty of relic experience. Also, I got a nearly maxed out Ballarhorn to blow up shit. Anyway, if anyone's still got a spot: pls add me: JinjoNL

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think people are failing to realize that Xur is just as useful as he always has been. Claims that he is bringing "useless" gear is predicated on the idea that every single player has seen and had a chance to buy as much as the most invested players. That simply isn't true.

I got frustrated last week when he had nothing I wanted. Then I realized...I have so much exotic gear, that my wish list has become tiny. The odds of him bringing something I would value get smaller as I gear up other ways.

But not all players are in that boat! Not everybody has 100 strange coins banked with their vault full of yellows. Every week, Xur brings something that somebody somewhere is stoked to get. The odds of him bringing the exact one or two pieces of gear you REALLY want are realistically pretty low. This is compounded by the fact that he only comes once per week so your perception is skewed towards him globally bringing no value to the game.

You seeing every single Xur visit with enough coins to buy whatever you wanted...that's the outlier. The average player will routinely get value out of Xur's visit, and that will probably always be true as more content comes out and potentially more gear is added to his table.

We are the minority...a small, dedicated, vocal community of pretty hardcore players. And our experience skews our perception of the reality behind how this game works. Is the system without flaws? No. Is there room for more catering to the hardcore playerbase? Of course. Those flaws considered, there are still systems in place which are working just fine.

Your cup runneth over with coins, mine does too. They will have their time, and you will be thankful you had them banked.
i award this post like 3400 hawkian points

That's why Xur is bullshit. I'm willing to bet you guys won't see Xur selling Ballerhorn until after the DLC hits.
What if Xur's first roll is slot, and the second roll is the item? There's only one arm exotic so it would make sense that Sunbreakers alway show up.

If you look at the 9 weeks Xur has been up (for Warlocks), the slot breakdown is almost equal. (Arms 4x, Head 2x, Chest 3x)

Wk 1: Arms (Sunbreakers)
Wk 2: Arms (Sunbreakers)
Wk 3: Head (Apoth Veil)
Wk 4: Arms (Sunbreakers)
Wk 5: Chest (Voidfang)
Wk 6: Head (Light Beyond Nemesis)
Wk 7: Chest (Voidfang)
Wk 8: Chest (Voidfang)
Wk 9: Arms (Sunbreakers)

So usually people get better at video games the more they play. Why am I getting worse?

My KDR has dropped from 1.15 to 1.07 in the last month. And at 6165 kills, it takes quite a bit for a shift to happen. I've been doing horrible lately. I can barely get two games in a row where I'm positive anymore. Now I'm usually around .8 or .5.

I seriously wonder if they did something to their netcode around a month ago when they were trying to fix all the bugs. I use to be someone who would get Bee, Baboon, and Beaver error codes around 10+ times a night of playing. But when I wasn't getting DC'd by those error codes I was able to do pretty good in the crucible.

They've been fixing their error codes the last month or so and I haven't gotten DC'd in the last two weeks now at all. And now I can't kill anyone barely.

I'm not trying to make excuses for my suckiness, but I seriously wonder if whatever they did to fix the error codes changed up their netcode and made me worse. I get a ton of assists, it's just that I always die so fast and can only get a few shots in before I die, but then a teammate finishes them off.

They did nerf auto rifles so that might be it. Might explain all the assists you've been getting

Zakalwe

Banned
Any experienced flawless raiders/groups fancy giving flawless a shot later?

80% of my group completed it without me and they're not as active anymore. :(

Pickman

I think people are failing to realize that Xur is just as useful as he always has been. Claims that he is bringing "useless" gear is predicated on the idea that every single player has seen and had a chance to buy as much as the most invested players. That simply isn't true.

I got frustrated last week when he had nothing I wanted. Then I realized...I have so much exotic gear, that my wish list has become tiny. The odds of him bringing something I would value get smaller as I gear up other ways.

But not all players are in that boat! Not everybody has 100 strange coins banked with their vault full of yellows. Every week, Xur brings something that somebody somewhere is stoked to get. The odds of him bringing the exact one or two pieces of gear you REALLY want are realistically pretty low. This is compounded by the fact that he only comes once per week so your perception is skewed towards him globally bringing no value to the game.

You seeing every single Xur visit with enough coins to buy whatever you wanted...that's the outlier. The average player will routinely get value out of Xur's visit, and that will probably always be true as more content comes out and potentially more gear is added to his table.

We are the minority...a small, dedicated, vocal community of pretty hardcore players. And our experience skews our perception of the reality behind how this game works. Is the system without flaws? No. Is there room for more catering to the hardcore playerbase? Of course. Those flaws considered, there are still systems in place which are working just fine.

Your cup runneth over with coins, mine does too. They will have their time, and you will be thankful you had them banked.

I'm a filthy casual only just now starting to play more Destiny since I let my buddy borrow Shadow of Mordor for a day about a week ago and haven't seen it since.

I've still gotta get lucky enough to get 2 more strange coins in order to pick up the Sunbreakers, and my sunslinger isn't even half full yet. I'm at the point where I'm just excited to potentially get something good.

GhaleonEB

Aye. I have a grand total of five strange coins, and no exotics. I'm looking forward to buying something from Xur, someday, maybe.

i award this post like 3400 hawkian points

Yeah you and I pretty much have the same outlook on this game. I don't post much, but I read everything you post (not creepy I swear) and I've tallied a fair amount of Kelson points for you, whatever value that holds.

I thought you had accidentally logged into an alt account or something, heh.

Long lost brother.

I'm a filthy casual only just now starting to play more Destiny since I let my buddy borrow Shadow of Mordor for a day about a week ago and haven't seen it since.

I've still gotta get lucky enough to get 2 more strange coins in order to pick up the Sunbreakers, and my sunslinger isn't even half full yet. I'm at the point where I'm just excited to potentially get something good.

Aye. I have a grand total of five strange coins, and no exotics. I'm looking forward to buying something from Xur, someday, maybe.

Edit: Cases in point.

Temidien

Neo Member
Any vets willing to help me sherpa some raid newbies through normal tonight around 6-7 EST? I'd really appreciate it!

PSN: Temidien

patchday

Anyone that calls Xur useless is just not thinking it through properly. He brings those useful telemetries. I spend my coins only on weapon telemetry :)

Happy xurdays!

ethomaz

Banned
Going from Titan and Warlock to the Hunter was really tough for me to get used to the double jump. I kept wanting to tap twice quickly it to get higher up.

Things are all good now that i have unlocked triple jump
Yesterday I did the Raid with my Titan again and died four times at the jump part... it is too easy with Warlock and a hell of hard with Titan for me.

I'm guessing how it will be with Hunter :D

Shito

So, I have 2 exotic helms, for titan.
I gamble on the helm exotic engram, because heck, I have 7 chances out of 9 to get something I don't have!
And only a mere 2 chances out of 9 to fall on a repeat!
I let you guess the result... :)

3 shards

gatti-man

I would LOVE to hear from Bungie if Crucible is P2P or dedicated server gametype.

If dedicated then if there is regional servers to minimize latency caused issues.

If P2P then how matchmaking it done to guarantee that people got low latency lobbies for best possible experience.
I did some port forwarding off of their website and the pvp seemed to get better for me. My kd definitely improved but that doesnt mean anything necessarily.

Keep jump smashing! Just a tinyhop and smash. You can also use the Super shot on him if your aim is good.

The relic's R2 air smash is basically the Titan Striker super with an instant cooldown. And the relic bubble is basically a Defender super that you can shoot through. So it's super-powered power versions of both sub-classes.

Kabr was the most bad-ass Titan ever.

Navy Bean

Yeah... I hear you, but I dunno. You're just asking for the game's design to be fundamentally changed and while you'd like it better, I wouldn't like the game nearly as much if they did that. You're actually asking for more randomness even if you don't realize it. I've also received multiple Legendaries I really like from the Nightfall, and you need Legendaries, so turning it into an "all-exotic buffet" wouldn't necessarily be an improvement. I guess it starts to look differently once Exotics start piling up for you.

I love Xur because I can cut through any RNG to a direct reward of my choice. It's literally impossible to get something from Xur you don't want. If he doesn't have something you want you don't spend your coins. Even with the armor engrams, what you actually get from him for your motes is the engram. Then it's up to Rahool to screw you over.

edit:

lol I can't stop saying Mars and Venus either

Well said, but I still disagree completely...lol. I think a system having additional reliable avenues to acquire exotics (nightfall, completing x number of dailies, raid bosses, etc) would be much more fun than waiting for a once-a-week vendor to sell you something.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If Xur is truly random, someone should run the odds on how likely it is for him to have sold Sunbreakers this many times already. It's likely similar to being struck by lightning three times while holding a winning scratcher ticket.
Fine, haha. And it's nothing like that. :p

In each armor slot, every week, there are a total of 6 possible pieces (he pulls from the full pool of armor pieces, seemingly).

That means a 1 in 6 (3 helms, 2 chests, 1 gauntlet) chance of "the piece you want" or "Sunbreakers" being a "hit" on the roll. There have been 9 rolls so far.

So n (total number of rolls) = 9, x (number of successes) = 4, and and there's a 1/6 chance of the "hit" event each time (p = 0.1666...); we're looking at how likely it is to have 4 "hits" and 5 "non-hits";

We have to do a binomial distribution for this... i.e. { n! / [ x! (n - x)! ] } * Px * (1 - P)n - x

Thankfully they have calculators for this shit, like this one.

So, there's a ~5% chance of Sunbreakers having appeared 4 or more times (4% of exactly 4 times).
That might seem tiny, but the odds of being stuck by lightning in your entire lifetime are ~0.03%.
The chances of Voidfang having appeared 3 or more times, which they have, are considerably higher at 18%.

Of the 9 weeks so far 4/9 have been Sunbreakers, 3/9 have been Voidfang Vestments, and 1/9 each for Apotheosis Veil and Light Beyond Nemesis. Skull of Ahamkara and Praxic Fire are the two that have not appeared. It seems about as obviously and completely random as any small sample could possibly be.
That's why Xur is bullshit. I'm willing to bet you guys won't see Xur selling Ballerhorn until after the DLC hits.
Hmmm.

It's a 1/12 chance for weapons and there are 5 visits before the DLC. The odds are in your favor, so nobody take this bet -_- Nothing to do with it not being random.
What if Xur's first roll is slot, and the second roll is the item? There's only one arm exotic so it would make sense that Sunbreakers alway show up.
If it does work like this, the odds are DRAMATICALLY different and skewed in favor of the type of armor with the fewest "second roll options," i.e. Gauntlets.

However, No Backup Plans has only appeared once and Young Ahamkara's Spine never has- so it's actually more likely that it's a pure 1/6 roll and Warlocks have been unlucky. Poorlocks :*(

LordofPwn

The relic's R2 air smash is basically the Titan Striker super with an instant cooldown. And the relic bubble is basically a Defender super that you can shoot through. So it's super-powered power versions of both sub-classes.

If they... When they make a Destiny movie, Kabr's story is the one i want to watch. Discovering the vault solo
and going mad. that shit is gold hollywood

Navy Bean

Anyone that calls Xur useless is just not thinking it through properly. He brings those useful telemetries. I spend my coins only on weapon telemetry :)

Happy xurdays!

I would be back on the Xur train if he sold materials. Say, 1 coin for 25 of your material of choosing...

LiK

The lore is so much better than anything in the game, sigh

LordofPwn

Fine, haha. And it's nothing like that. :p

In each armor slot, every week, there are a total of 6 possible pieces (he pulls from the full pool of armor pieces, seemingly).

MATH.

I approve, but last time i did math it almost de-railed the thread. Now what are the odds of me getting 3 mythoclasts from 4 hard raid clears, and better yet, 4 exotic fusion rifles from 4 hard raid clears?

Good point, never noticed that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I would be back on the Xur train if he sold materials. Say, 1 coin for 25 of your material of choosing...
I support that although that sounds like the deal of the century, lol.
I approve, but last time i did math it almost de-railed the thread. Now what are the odds of me getting 3 mythoclasts from 4 hard raid clears, and better yet, 4 exotic fusion rifles from 4 hard raid clears?
hahaha.

unlike Xur's inventory, raid loot rolls seem to employ HEAVY weighting, so I have no idea whatsoever... but suffice it to say "holy fuck they are tiny." It's not impossible that you are the only player in Destiny to have had that specific scenario occur.

whoa, awesome post. damn that's cool. The super actually has something in common with the leaked possible third subclass too O_O
Crusader
Super: “Purge” You shoot this giant horizontal column of light directly in front of you.

Sanke__

If you look at the 9 weeks Xur has been up (for Warlocks), the slot breakdown is almost equal. (Arms 4x, Head 2x, Chest 3x)

Wk 1: Arms (Sunbreakers)
Wk 2: Arms (Sunbreakers)
Wk 3: Head (Apoth Veil)
Wk 4: Arms (Sunbreakers)
Wk 5: Chest (Voidfang)
Wk 6: Head (Light Beyond Nemesis)
Wk 7: Chest (Voidfang)
Wk 8: Chest (Voidfang)
Wk 9: Arms (Sunbreakers)

But for hunters the arms have never come up and i think theyve only been up once for titans

SkylineRKR

Is the rep good too?

Ah, I misread. For rep its Bounties. And Patrols can go quite fast if you do it with a fireteam and know what to skip (Scans, scouts etc). Those VIP Kill's give you 25.

Later on, when you're higher level it goes faster because of 20% Nightfall bonus exp and 400 from Nightfall itself. But you could try to tag along with kind players. We sometimes carried a level 25 without much trouble.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What's the best way to farm vanguard rep when you're level 24? Tiger strikes are just so slow.
Bounties by far, the 26 weekly strike if you can do or get carried through it, and finally patrols (emphasize Assasination, then "kill everything," then "collect drops").

Has anyone noticed if the Dailies get you rep btw? I have been so lazy doing mine XD

Once you get to 25 you can get carried through the Nightfall, which gets you freaking 500...

The only exotic I want is Gjallahorn. I don't see how my 100+ coins will ever be useful.

I just meant if his table gets bigger with the expansion, and there is more gear you might want. If you have alts, as well.

Vague chance coins could be used for something else in the future, too.

LordofPwn

unlike Xur's inventory, raid loot rolls seem to employ HEAVY weighting, so I have no idea whatsoever... but suffice it to say "holy fuck they are tiny." It's not impossible that you are the only player in Destiny to have had that specific scenario occur.

whoa, awesome post. damn that's cool. The super actually has something in common with the rumored possible third subclass too O_O
Crusader
Super: “Purge” You shoot this giant horizontal column of light directly in front of you.

ftfy

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If multiple people need rep, you guys can form a fireteam, head down to a Patrol and split WAY up (different areas of the entire map completely). Completion of any patrol beacon will count for all of you, kills or pickups by all 3 feed into the mission, odds of one of you being right next to a scout/scan spot are amplified, etc.

So don't hesitate to ask if there are others that need rep and group up. 300+ rep/hour is easily obtainable if you do this.
oh rest assured, I assume it's merely interesting bullshit until I hear otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom