• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a killer by any means, but Destiny will be losing some of my attention (aside from raids/weeklies) to Halo MCC next week. But, that's only on Xbox. And from the look of it, I am the only GAFer who plays Destiny on the XBONE.

Granted, I own a PS4 and Destiny for it. But all my playtime has been on the Xbox since that's where my RL friends are.

I play Destiny on Xbone with an active group of raiders. I know at least half of us are going to be splitting our time starting next week (we're all Halo 2&3 buddies from back in the day).

I also have 2 alts now, so I'm always up for Nightfalls and Weeklies or donging (do the kids still say that?) in Crucible.

GT same as gaf

Hard raid still has a spot?

Lv 28 sunsinger with maxed supremacy, swarm, i. Breakers, suros and v conf.

Psn is silvertonguebr

Edit: wait, are the servers down?

LordofPwn

This would be perfect. Or for like 5-10 motes
Why was i quoted? was it because its a good idea? because it is. make it happen Hollywood!
I almost typed the exact same thing to my friend who is on the fence.

Truth is THE PvP rocket launcher. I really only use it in big maps like Bastion and First Light to snipe snipers. Few things are more satisfying than peeking out, getting a quick lock on, fire a rocket, turn away and watch the +100 points pop up in the middle of your screen.

The Truth is, that Truth is the most fun PVP rocket launcher. and that pop a few seconds later is sooooo gratifying.

Kalamari

Clearly, RNGesus is testing us, to see if we are worthy of bearing the great Gjallarhorn. We must persevere, Guardians, he has shown us the way. Praise RNGesus!

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Buys Truth
Finds Truth in PvP literally the next match.
Goddamit.
Now I finally know that feeling you all hate so much. Just Dismantle it then?

SnakeEyes

Banned
Sunbreakers, and Truth.

Needless to say I logged out of Destiny early last night. WHERE'S MY FUCKING PRAXIC FIRE CHEST, XUR YOU HEARTLESS BASTARD??!?

Buys Truth
Goddamit.
Yes, dismantle that fucker.

Ganhyun

So, some friends and I did the raid last night on normal and noticed something.

At the spire, they were spawning two minotaurs per gate at once. If you killed one, another was spawned within 10 seconds and heading to you. We've never noticed that before. Also, those fuckers sprinted to the gates. Also, they were one shotting 29s like it was nothing.

Eventually we got past that, and found that when defending the confluxes spawned minotaurs could one shot us still.

We beat the raid, and after the Templar none of the minotaurs had that ability anymore.

Anyone else seen this?

realcZk

So, some friends and I did the raid last night on normal and noticed something.

At the spire, they were spawning two minotaurs per gate at once. If you killed one, another was spawned within 10 seconds and heading to you. We've never noticed that before. Also, those fuckers sprinted to the gates. Also, they were one shotting 29s like it was nothing.

Eventually we got past that, and found that when defending the confluxes spawned minotaurs could one shot us still.

We beat the raid, and after the Templar none of the minotaurs had that ability anymore.

Anyone else seen this?

It's been that way since the Atheon hotfix, the praetorians on the gate opening come at you much faster and more frequently than before.

Hah, yeah- MCC would be a great answer if it were on the platform that most people playing Destiny are playing it on. But even beyond that, looking longer term (and if you don't believe a single other word out of their mouths, believe that Bungie is doing this too), it's a pretty specific itch to scratch that a new game would have to hit.

No, you're totally spot on. Destiny appeals to the side of me that got addicted to WoW. Loot, dailies, weeklies, progression, etc. Perfectly appeals to my addictive nature.

I started console gaming with Halo 1 when I was 12, and dumped an insane amount of time into Halo 2/3/Reach. So MCC will pull me away to get to relive some nostalgia, play through the campaigns, play around in multiplayer...but I will still play Destiny. Different "itches" as you call them.

XBone Destiny population might dip slightly for a few weeks for MCC. Probably not much though, and not for long, and especially not once Dark Below hits.

Longer term, you are right. There's not a lot in the pipe to capture regular playtime from people.

And to everyone: My XBL Gamertag is justkelson

KodaRuss

Buys Truth
Goddamit.

Happened to me with Patience and Time and Ice Breaker. Also got two Plan Cs within 24 hours of each other.

Duplicates everywhere. Including 6 pairs of boots between 3/4 weeks of raiding on two characters.

coy

I almost typed the exact same thing to my friend who is on the fence.

Truth is THE PvP rocket launcher. I really only use it in big maps like Bastion and First Light to snipe snipers. Few things are more satisfying than peeking out, getting a quick lock on, fire a rocket, turn away and watch the +100 points pop up in the middle of your screen.

I didn't pick up Truth when Xur had it last but lucked into one the following Nightfall. It is superb in the raid with that void damage (got mine to 300 and it demolishes things), but even better, this weapon has made Crucible vastly entertaining. It will clear snipers from afar and chase poor Sparrow riders. My fave moment: on Rusted Lands coming from C to B, I see someone jump over the wall to try and cap B. I launch Truth, it follows the guy upward over the wall then downward onto B. Seeing Double Down on my screen was icing as I had zero clue another person was already there but Truth solved that problem.

Still wish Horn was available.

GlamFM

Banned
Still looking for a HARD RAID.

Right now, PSN GlamFM.

EDIT: Just accidentally deleted a friend request without paying attention.

Didn´t even catch the name.

Whoever it was - invite me again!

KodaRuss

Yep, or they teleport right up to your face. Everything seems harder after fix.

Titan flashbang grenades makes the Praetorions much easier if you have a Striker Titan with you. Armamentarium works with that section also with the extra grenade.

LiK

Titan flashbang grenades makes the Praetorions much easier if you have a Striker Titan with you. Armamentarium works with that section also with the extra grenade.

Oh, I don't have any trouble with them. It's just something we noticed. It's especially shitty when they teleport behind you right up to the Confluxes during Templar fight.

Hoodbury

I did the normal raid with you a couple nights ago. Judging by your ability, you'll be just fine. No RLs in the detainment bubble or in the relic bubble. Other than that, it's the same idea.

You really think so? Is the platforming section not in the Hard mode?

:p

jk Corn

You really think so? Is the platforming section not in the Hard mode?

:p

jk Corn

Bahaha.

Hard or normal, he's still going to have to bounce to orbit and rejoin at the entrance to the final room.

Just kidding Cornhole, you'll be fine. And if you aren't fine, like I said, just go to orbit and rejoin. Problem solved.

Will never really understand the Xur complaints.
You do realize it is not his fault the game has a criminally small loot table right?

Bungie has a very different approach to loot than a lot of other loot games. 2 months in I hope this is becoming obvious.

For example, Diablo 3 has tons and tons of legendaries, but most are just glorified rares. There are only a few that are worth creating a build around. I sharded almost every legendary I got. Destiny has focused on making sure every exotic is unique and through (promised) buffs/balances are trying to make each one viable. No other loot game does this.

Most loot games, you're looking for that one piece of gear. Thunderfury for your Monk. Wand of Woh for your Wizard. Destiny isn't about optimal, it's about choices. That's why you're limited to one exotic. They're center-pieces that you build around. I have 4 titan exotics. Alpha Lupi is great for Nightfalls, Armamentarium for wreckin' shit, Inner Fire for Striker fun, Saint-14 for blinding fools. I want Skull Fort and No Back Up Plans. Each one lets you find another playstyle.

Bungie's openly stated they want us to collect them all. And here's the other advantage to having a smaller table. It let's you learn to synergize with and counter other players. Most loot games don't have PvP. There are 6 armors for each class I think. I can recognize each and know what they're doing. A smaller loot table maintains predicatibility that PvP requires.

Diablo 3 and most loot games are about BiS, Best in Slot. Destiny is about variety.

-----

Finally, as an aside, I fully approve of the "one exotic at a time" design choice. It keeps people who play 200 hours a week on the same playing field as those who only play 10. After all, they each can only have one exotic equipped. The hardcore player doesn't get a power advantage like most games, they get a choice advantage. They can run any of 12 different styles, but they're all equal to the guy who only has one exotic. It was a brilliant decision.

KodaRuss

Oh, I don't have any trouble with them. It's just something we noticed. It's especially shitty when they teleport behind you right up to the Confluxes during Templar fight.

Yes, since the patch there seems to be more that spawn faster and more aggressively most of the time. A couple times we barely got any to spawn and it was over very quickly. Kinda random.

Ambitious

Alright, my next four main goals for Destiny are:
1) Praedyth's Revenge. I am blessed by RNGesus, so I expect to get it in this week's raid.
2) Gjallarhorn. Just a matter of time until Xur stocks it.
3) One of the Dead Orbit shaders (I forgot the name)
4) The Calming (Legendary Arc Fusion Rifle From FWC)

I'm worried about the last two. Even as one of His chosen ones, the chances to get them are hopelessly low. And ranking up two factions several times will take an eternity.

And indeed I did. Thanks, RNGesus. Off to the Gorgon Maze, let's see what else he has for me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
XBone Destiny population might dip slightly for a few weeks for MCC. Probably not much though, and not for long, and especially not once Dark Below hits.

Longer term, you are right. There's not a lot in the pipe to capture regular playtime from people.

And to everyone: My XBL Gamertag is justkelson
Sorry you guys are getting screwed on the extra content/gear. I hate this platform exclusivity shit so much... offends me way more than any of the actual design decisions in the game :-/

I hope it's not TOO long before they open the stuff up to Xbox users. I get that it's intended to spur sales toward one over the other, and I'm sure it's effective to multi-console owners. But as someone who would've bought it on PS4 regardless, the idea of having "exclusive stuff" my Xbrethren don't is just sad to me, not vindicating.
Bungie has a very different approach to loot than a lot of other loot games. 2 months in I hope this is becoming obvious.

For example, Diablo 3 has tons and tons of legendaries, but most are just glorified rares. There are only a few that are worth creating a build around. I sharded almost every legendary I got. Destiny has focused on making sure every exotic is unique and through (promised) buffs/balances are trying to make each one viable. No other loot game does this.

Most loot games, you're looking for that one piece of gear. Thunderfury for your Monk. Wand of Woh for your Wizard. Destiny isn't about optimal, it's about choices. That's why you're limited to one exotic. They're center-pieces that you build around. I have 4 titan exotics. Alpha Lupi is great for Nightfalls, Armamentarium for wreckin' shit, Inner Fire for Striker fun, Saint-14 for blinding fools. I want Skull Fort and No Back Up Plans. Each one lets you find another playstyle.

Bungie's openly stated they want us to collect them all. And here's the other advantage to having a smaller table. It let's you learn to synergize with and counter other players. Most loot games don't have PvP. There are 6 armors for each class I think. I can recognize each and know what they're doing. A smaller loot table maintains predicatibility that PvP requires.

Diablo 3 and most loot games are about BiS, Best in Slot. Destiny is about variety.

-----

Finally, as an aside, I fully approve of the "one exotic at a time" design choice. It keeps people who play 200 hours a week on the same playing field as those who only play 10. After all, they each can only have one exotic equipped. The hardcore player doesn't get a power advantage like most games, they get a choice advantage. They can run any of 12 different styles, but they're all equal to the guy who only has one exotic. It was a brilliant decision.
3400 hawkian points in your direction this time. the hawkian store will be open at a future date TBD.

the concept that having every exotic (well, until the DLC hits) is even remotely within my reach is realllly addictive to me. gotta catch 'em all

dunno if this will make sense to anyone at all but Exotics in Destiny actually kind of remind me more of Keystone abilities in Path of Exile than items themselves

blackflag

Not a killer by any means, but Destiny will be losing some of my attention (aside from raids/weeklies) to Halo MCC next week. But, that's only on Xbox. And from the look of it, I am the only GAFer who plays Destiny on the XBONE.

Granted, I own a PS4 and Destiny for it. But all my playtime has been on the Xbox since that's where my RL friends are.

I just got an xbone today....Unity bundle + Sunset overdrive for 350......how could I pass it up?

But Destiny will be my primary game for a loooong time I suspect. I just love it. Excited to try SO and MCC though.

SharkJAW

Just read something really cool about this ghost fragment that covers some lore of Jaren Ward, the original owner of The Last Word and I thought I'd share it with you guys:
Loken's men found Jaren Ward in the courtyard where this had all began.
Nine guns trained on him. Nine cold hearts awaiting the order. Magistrate Loken, standing behind them, looked pleased with himself.
Jaren Ward stood in silence. His Ghost peeked out over his shoulder.
Loken took in the crowd before stepping forward, as if to claim the ground - his ground. "You question me?" There was venom in his words. "This is not your home."
I remember Loken's gestures here. Making a show of it all.
Everyone else was still. Quiet.
I tugged at my father's sleeve, but he just tightened his grip on my shoulder to the point pain. His way of letting me know that this was not the time.
I'd watched Jaren's every move over the past months, mapping his effortless gestures and slight, earned mannerisms. I'd never seen anything like him. He was something I couldn't comprehend, and yet I felt I understood all I needed the moment I'd seen him. He was more than us. Not better. Not superior. Just more.
I wanted father to stop what was happening. Looking back now, I realize that he didn't want to stop it. No one d id.
As Loken belittled Jaren Ward, taunted him, enumerated his crimes and sins, my eyes were stuck on Jaren's pistol, fixed to his hip. His steady hand resting calmly on his belt.
I remembered the pistol's weight. Effortless. And my concern faded. I understood.
"This is our town! My town!" Loken was shouting now. He was going to make a show of Jaren - teach the people of Palamon a lesson in obedience.
Jaren spoke: clear, calm. "Not anymore."
Loken laughed dismissively. He had nine guns on his side. "Those gonna be your last words then, boy?"
The movement was a flash: quick as chain lightning. Jaren Ward spoke as he moved. "Yours. Not mine."
Smoke trailed from Jaren's revolver.
Loken hit the ground. A dark hole in his forehead. Eyes staring into eternity.
Jaren stared down the nine guns trained on him. One by one, they lowered their aim. And the rest of my life began - where, in a few short years, so many others would be ended.
There's also speculation that Jaren eventually becomes Dredgen Yor, a shell of his former self, turned to darkness (from the Thorn grimoire):
"In that cool evening air, as dusk was devoured by night, the noble man ceased to exist. In his place another stood.
Same meat. Same bone. But so very different.
The first and only of his family. The sole forbearer and last descendent of the name Yor."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom