• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT9| Suros Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku Tree

So how much EXP do you get for completing a patrol mission?
I just noticed my fancy new raid helmet gaining levels after I completed a normal Moon patrol mission... is it minimal? or is it worth farming patrol missions to level up your EXP? Does the EXP go to both weapons and armor or just armor?

Thanks!

GutZ31

I posted this yesterday and it applies to this as well in response to a question about the relic itself having a hitbox.

EDIT:

While I agree on principle that it's not a great idea, the bubble itself doesn't prevent rockets from being fired.

I have played with a ton of people in the raid that tried using a rocket launcher in the shield, and they all blew up. They had no one standing in front of them, and had nothing blocking them but the bubble the relic shield lays. If you have shot out of the shield yourself, I wish to know your secrets at doing it.
My own rockets have done the same as well.

Deku Tree

I have played with a ton of people in the raid that tried using a rocket launcher in the shield, and they all blew up. They had no one standing in front of them, and had nothing blocking them but the bubble the relic shield lays. If you have shot out of the shield yourself, I wish to know your secrets at doing it.

Yup I did the normal Atheon with one guy from here with a KBM setup (how?) and the rest from DestinyLFG. One LFG guy tried to shoot Atheon from a rocket launcher from within the Relic bubble and blew himself up. If you want to Rocket Atheon I tell players to stay out of the Relic bubble.

GutZ31

Thanks. There' some conflicting information posted below your response, but should I ever get a rocket launcher good enough to utilize during the relic shield scenarios I'll just make a habit out of popping out to fire a shot off.

Private might be right, but all of my experiences have led me to believe rocket + shield = Death.

I stand near one of the star gates and fire off rockets at the boss when I don't have the relic. Other than that, clean up the harpies so everyone thats staying behind can jump to safety.

SgtCobra

*With a sigh of relief but also of disappointment SgtCobra dismantles his Vanquisher VIII, knowing that he and his Shingen-E will be reunited once again while leaving his short mediocre track record he had behind him. After upgrading it his assumptions about the weapon sucking hard were sadly accurate. And with that, he decides he will never ever buy into weapon hype in Destiny*

NeOak

Thanks. There' some conflicting information posted below your response, but should I ever get a rocket launcher good enough to utilize during the relic shield scenarios I'll just make a habit out of popping out to fire a shot off.
You're very likely to hit someone who may be in front of to the side and you'll kill yourself.

Fitts

Private might be right, but all of my experiences have led me to believe rocket + shield = Death.

I stand near one of the star gates and fire off rockets at the boss when I don't have the relic. Other than that, clean up the harpies so everyone thats staying behind can jump to safety.

That's going to be my assumption moving forward. Thanks again for responding!

Also, if anyone's going to be on this afternoon I'd like to get some hard raiding done. I reached level 30 this week but haven't been playing much at all. I'd like to get to oracles checkpoint and spread it to at least one of my alts but ideally both. (I really want dat Fatebringer...) Still, I'm down for a full clear if others will be.

PSN: EinFurDieDamen

I'll be on in a bit but want to clear some bounties to upgrade Atheon's Epilogue before raiding.

Are they getting shot by Atheon (edit: they as in the rockets)? Since he's basically focus firing right at the center of the shield it's risky. I try to crouch and scoot off to the far right if he's close to dead and I want to get off a couple of rockets.

GutZ31

You're very likely to hit someone who may be in front of to the side and you'll kill yourself.

Alright, someone post a video of them shooting rockets within the relic shield.
I really need to know if this works or not, because all I have ever seen and done is BOOM, die.
Hell, if someone has an atheon checkpoint, I will gladly login to test if it works.

Milennia

The people with gjallar in our group jump over the shield to shoot just incase and have never died

Fitts

*With a sigh of relief but also of disappointment SgtCobra dismantles his Vanquisher VIII, knowing that he and his Shingen-E will be reunited once again while leaving his short mediocre track record he had behind him. After upgrading it his assumptions about the weapon sucking hard were sadly accurate. And with that, he decides he will never ever buy into weapon hype in Destiny*

Lol... I had the Vanquisher (vendor version) before the AR nerf. It underwhelmed post-upgrades and I went right back to Shadow Price (non-vendor version) for both PVP and PVE.

Alright, someone post a video of them shooting rockets within the relic shield.
I really need to know if this works or not, because all I have ever seen and done is BOOM, die.
Hell, if someone has an atheon checkpoint, I will gladly login to test if it works.

We need a test now. I know it's worked for me, but it could have been pre-patch. The last time I tried it I did get blown up, but there was a bubble shield nearby and I assumed that was the problem so I've been using Ice Breaker ever since.

GutZ31

We need a test now. I know it's worked for me, but it could have been pre-patch. The last time I tried it I did get blown up, but there was a bubble shield nearby and I assumed that was the problem so I've been using Ice Breaker ever since.

Yeah, I know you wouldn't lie, thats why this is bugging me.

For refrence, this is how it would happen. Relic in the center, everyone else pretty much behind the relic holder, and the rocket guy would try to get next to, or a little in front to the right. Every time this has occurred, I see a big BOOM and they are dead.
QUFmGsI.png

Hiko

Banned

You dun goofed

For refrence, this is how it would happen. Relic in the center, everyone else pretty much behind the relic holder, and the rocket guy would try to get next to, or a little in front to the right. Every time this has occurred, I see a big BOOM and they are dead.

That's pretty much exactly where I stand. Bugging me too since I have an Atheon checkpoint but will be at work all day. If anyone tests it, I'd test somewhere quiet where splash can't blow up the rocket, and would test a couple of different rockets since I'm wondering if it may have something to do with the proximity detonation/tracking of Truth/Ghorn.

EL CUCO

Does the daily story mission give any XP?

Yee

Speaking of daily. Prior to yesterday, I hadn't touched Destiny in 48hrs and hadn't done a daily in about a week.

BOTH my toons received a Lgndry engram as a reward. Coincidence? I think not.
Maybe

deafmedal

The raid was amazing too.
Congrats on the Ghorn, be careful tho... you'll put an eye out with that thing!

The people with gjallar in our group jump over the shield to shoot just incase and have never died

I used do this, but sometimes fuck the jump up and blow myself up :( I've resorted to standing on the side by myself when not holding the relic when I do have heavy ammo. Then I get blown up by supplicants I didn't see because I was aimed down sights... Ghorn has been responsible for too many deaths, it's a horrible weapon, not sure why everyone wants it
I WANT 2 MOAR!

Varvor

Dat Shingen-E! Went up against some 27 warlock rocking that gun the other day while I was using fully maxed out Vex Myth (lol). 3 out of 5 encounters he would out dps me.

Ourobolus

Banned
If anyone is doing a fresh normal raid any time soon, let me know!
(working on NaNoWriMo in the meantime)

PSN: Ourobolus (Lv 28 Hunter or Titan)

Pimpwerx

AFAIK, you can't shoot rockets from inside the shield. It's like shooting it from inside a titan bubble. It'll just blowup in your face. I could be wrong though. I feel like I've seen it work before, but no one in my raid group uses rockets anymore because of this problem. Sniper rifles only in our group. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

That's pretty much exactly where I stand. Bugging me too since I have an Atheon checkpoint but will be at work all day. If anyone tests it, I'd test somewhere quiet where splash can't blow up the rocket, and would test a couple of different rockets since I'm wondering if it may have something to do with the proximity detonation/tracking of Truth/Ghorn.

Now that I'm thinking about it more, is the rocket detonating because the relic shield acts like a titan bubble for rox, or is it detonating because of the splash damage from Atheon's torch hammer? I can't confirm it, but I've always suspected that rockets can be hit in midair by other projectiles, and that causes them to explode. I say so because I fired a rocket at a colossus the same time he fired rockets at me. My rocket hit his rocket in front of me and blew up, killing me.

So, if that's the case, then once you're inside the relic shield, you only have a small window before Atheon starts moving and shooting the shield, because the constant barrage should leave no opening for a rocket to escape. That's if that's the cause. Either way, shooting rockets from inside the shield is a bad idea. PEACE.

TP-DK

AFAIK, you can't shoot rockets from inside the shield. It's like shooting it from inside a titan bubble. It'll just blowup in your face. I could be wrong though. I feel like I've seen it work before, but no one in my raid group uses rockets anymore because of this problem. Sniper rifles only in our group. PEACE.

I've used the Gjallarhorn inside the relic shield before without blowing up, but as you said if the shots from Atheon hits your rockets it can get nasty.

Steroyd

Rockets from inside the shield does work, but unless I'm outside looking in I haven't seen a common logic to why people blow themselves up so frequently.

Zakalwe

Banned
Now that I'm thinking about it more, is the rocket detonating because the relic shield acts like a titan bubble for rox, or is it detonating because of the splash damage from Atheon's torch hammer? I can't confirm it, but I've always suspected that rockets can be hit in midair by other projectiles, and that causes them to explode. I say so because I fired a rocket at a colossus the same time he fired rockets at me. My rocket hit his rocket in front of me and blew up, killing me.

So, if that's the case, then once you're inside the relic shield, you only have a small window before Atheon starts moving and shooting the shield, because the constant barrage should leave no opening for a rocket to escape. That's if that's the cause. Either way, shooting rockets from inside the shield is a bad idea. PEACE.

I think rockets detonate inside the relic shield when they clip the side of the relic itself.

If you stand in front of the relic holder they shouldn't explode at all. I haven't tested extensively, but I tried it yesterday with no problems.

If anyone could try it and confirm it would be good.

Another Atheon patch bug?

I'm really wracking my brain to remember if I've had a successful rocket launch from inside the bubble post patch. I know it has worked in the past, but things have been more chaotic since the random teleports. More people running around, not sure of their role, letting the supplicants pile up more, dropping titan bubbles all over the place, people not jumping directly to the back to be the portal team. I just chalked up my rocket deaths to "random crap" since then.

Edit: Incoming fire from Atheon and/or supplicants will detonate a rocket.

Zakalwe

Banned

I'm really wracking my brain to remember if I've had a successful rocket launch from inside the bubble post patch. I know it has worked in the past, but things have been more chaotic since the random teleports. More people running around, not sure of their role, letting the supplicants pile up more, dropping titan bubbles all over the place, people not jumping directly to the back to be the portal team. I just chalked up my rocket deaths to "random crap" since then.

See my above post. Almost certain this is the case. I remember someone else posting it a while ago too.

Varvor

Yee

Speaking of daily. Prior to yesterday, I hadn't touched Destiny in 48hrs and hadn't done a daily in about a week.

BOTH my toons received a Lgndry engram as a reward. Coincidence? I think not.
Maybe

I heard of speculation that under the hood runs an algorithm that tracks your activity and rewards you the most when you do an action which you have done the least. Supposedly one of the reasons why people who do not pvp (as result don't do well in pvp) end up getting good RNG rolls post pvp match. But its all speculation at this point.

Milennia

I think rockets detonate inside the relic shield when they clip the side of the relic itself.

If you stand in front of the relic holder they shouldn't explode at all. I haven't tested extensively, but I tried it yesterday with no problems.

If anyone could try it and confirm it would be good.

Almost done here won't be long then I'll be on all day for leveling etc.

Will send PSN message when I'm close

phen0m24

Yup I did the normal Atheon with one guy from here with a KBM setup (how?) and the rest from DestinyLFG. One LFG guy tried to shoot Atheon from a rocket launcher from within the Relic bubble and blew himself up. If you want to Rocket Atheon I tell players to stay out of the Relic bubble.

My attempt last night failed
again

So from now on I'm going to travel THROUGH the titan bubble (if applicable), pick up my weapons of light bonus and launch away from the relative non-safety of the area around the rest of the crew. At least my rocket launcher
that sexy one that starts with a silent "G" and shall therefore not be named
is fire and forget. ;)

GutZ31

I've used the Gjallarhorn inside the relic shield before without blowing up, but as you said if the shots from Atheon hits your rockets it can get nasty.

This is probably the issue.
Atheon's splash damage over the outside of the shield intercepts the rocket, blowing it up before it can exit.

It makes sense, and also makes me even more likely not to use a rocket in the shield.

Nah bud, it is probably atheon's splash damage stopping the rockets from exiting the bubble.
No need to beat yourself up over it.
It just seems like the most likely cause. I have been killed by my own trip mine grenades because a pretorian shot it as it was in mid air, so why can't atheon do the same with rockets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom