• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaravon

Blizzard has no idea what to do with Demon Hunters having two resource pools, fucking seriously.

Also the Mara Set getting effectively nerfed may finally kill my desire to play the game depending on how they do it. I don't care about DH being the best class, but I spent over 900 hours on the class during vanilla when they were shit tier behind WAY behind all of the other classes except for brief moments before they patched Smokescreen in the first month or so then later Nether Tentacles. I'd much rather they buffed other classes and add more diversity then just effectively nerfing something because it was so much better than everything else.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
"Sentries cast your Hatred spender when you do and deal 100% increased damage."

RIP DH Meticulous Bolt + Ball Lightning build.

I suppose it still exists in some form - you just need a Kridershot for it now instead of Helltrapper.

I guess T&T no longer matter much for sentry builds...? T&T replaced with Cindercoat for Cluster Arrow spam? CDR becomes RCR? Could be interesting.

I was curious to see what they were going to do regarding the 4.15 breakpoint server overload problem. This will certainly do it.

I wonder if they'll make it something less than a 6 piece bonus to let people put together a build with the new "active" set.

Chocobro

"Sentries cast your Hatred spender when you do and deal 100% increased damage."

I suppose it still exists in some form - you just need a Kridershot for it now instead of Helltrapper.

I guess T&T no longer matter much for sentry builds...? T&T replaced with Cindercoat for Cluster Arrow spam? CDR becomes RCR? Could be interesting.

I was curious to see what they were going to do regarding the 4.15 breakpoint server overload problem. This will certainly do it.

I wonder if they'll make it something less than a 6 piece bonus to let people put together a build with the new "active" set.

But the thing with that build is the insane discipline regeneration from Night Stalker. Night Stalker changed to primary skills generate an additional 4 hatred. No way to constantly have discipline to spam Smoke Screen; SS also has a 3 second cooldown instead of 2 seconds too. At least this is to my understanding.

Ayumi

Why on earth would they nerfe Hydra? It's not that long ago since they buffed it... It does not need a nerf!

Maybe it's because of the Serpent Sparker, I dunno. Sigh. Could have been worse.. But still. So unnecessary.

Raticus79

Why on earth would they nerfe Hydra? It's not that long ago since they buffed it... It does not need a nerf!

Maybe it's because of the Serpent Sparker, I dunno. Sigh. Could have been worse.. But still. So unnecessary.

It's the "no power without gameplay" philosophy taking effect.

joesmokey

UpgradeableJewelInstructionsWeapon - Can be inserted into weapons with sockets.
This could be pretty interesting. Wonder if off-hands will work or if it's only meant as a CHD gem alternative (hopefully not).

Dahbomb

Oh boy Datamine stuff....

Let get my god damn popcorn.

The M6 change was better than I expected to be honest. I didn't think they would get the extra damage boost.

Bombless

So if I understand right, sentries lose the cooldown but can only be put down when you have charges, which you only get after a cooldown, and you can have as many as the max charges you can stock up?

Dahbomb

Knee jerk datamine analysis:

*RIP in peace Helltrapper build.

*RIP in peace perma SS.

*RIP in peace infinite Discipline and Nightstalker passive.

*RIP in peace press one button to win M6.

*Big nerf to Hydra.

Also on live server they just hotfix nerfed Boon of the Hoarder.

ZenaxPure

Also on live server they just hotfix nerfed Boon of the Hoarder.

Just the number of piles that drop, they are buffing the amount of gold in those piles again.

They've already done this once but it wasn't enough, still had to run out of your way picking shit up if you didn't have any pick up radius.

Dahbomb

Blizzard has no idea what to do with Demon Hunters having two resource pools, fucking seriously.

Also the Mara Set getting effectively nerfed may finally kill my desire to play the game depending on how they do it. I don't care about DH being the best class, but I spent over 900 hours on the class during vanilla when they were shit tier behind WAY behind all of the other classes except for brief moments before they patched Smokescreen in the first month or so then later Nether Tentacles. I'd much rather they buffed other classes and add more diversity then just effectively nerfing something because it was so much better than everything else.
We don't actually know if M6 is nerfed or buffed. The thing that was actually nerfed was the Helltrapper build but I know you didn't play that build for 900 hours. IMO it's a good thing that build got nerfed because people in parties using that build crashed my game and after that I took a break from the game.

New M6 could actually be better when it comes to raw DPS, what's being nerfed is the shit game play and "set and forget" playstyle of the set.

My only real disappointment with these changes is that it's looking like we might go back to Cindercoat + M6 Loaded for Bear DH spam. TNT is not going to be effective for DHs anymore so Cindercoat will replace it.

Or maybe double Xbow + new Multishot set becomes the hotness... who knows.

This could be pretty interesting. Wonder if off-hands will work or if it's only meant as a CHD gem alternative (hopefully not).
It's almost certainly going to be a CHD/Emerald replacement.

Seems like new m6 is a huge nerf just because now that spenders aren't spamming at a ridiculous rate, everytime they shoot at useless target is a big hit.

MrDaravon

My only real disappointment with these changes is that it's looking like we might go back to Cindercoat + M6 Loaded for Bear DH spam. TNT is not going to be effective for DHs anymore so Cindercoat will replace it.

This is what it's looking like, which is my problem.

The new DH set is potentially interesting, and the Mara changes could lead to some potentially interesting alt setups with that (Krider will likely be good among other things). Also would be nice to not need to a Taskers. But I'm getting tired of them dealing with things that are too good but just nerfing them into the ground. Also it was nice to have an option for a more passive playstyle, and if they nerf m6 into the ground like it looks like they most people will just move over to the new best setup. Not that every class doesn't have that problem, but DH seems to have had it worse in terms of endgame viable setups since launch except for maybe Barbs. I wish they would add options as opposed to taking them away, which seems to be a running theme.

Dahbomb

They ARE adding more options, they are adding the new Multishot set with potential 6 piece Nat's set down the line. Also we don't know how these new weapon Legendary gems might pan out (maybe they are so powerful that dual wield Multishot set build becomes a thing).

The M6/Smokescreen nerfs were honestly something people saw coming a mile away. We have played Blizzard games long enough to know that if 1 thing is too good and 9 other things are just "ok" then they would rather bring down the 1 rather than bring up the 9.

MrDaravon

The M6/Smokescreen nerfs were honestly something people saw coming a mile away. We have played Blizzard games long enough to know that if 1 thing is too good and 9 other things are just "ok" then they would rather bring down the 1 rather than bring up the 9.

Yeah I know, and that's what bums me out.

I'm expecting dual xbows and Kriders to probably wind up being the way to get next patch, at least right now. What's going on with the Nat set? I haven't seen anything regarding that.

Dahbomb

They said they are going to be adding a 6 piece bonus to Nat. Didn't say what but it's in the works.

I hope that new "Entangled enemies take X% more damage from all sources" Legendary is a 1H Xbow. Would combo well with Calamity for the Multishot set and allow you to have +20 Discipline from the weapons alone. The Multishot set has a Cloak so that's another +10. I wonder if it's possible to get 100 Discipline on a DH... that would make Multishot hit 10 times as hard.

ZenaxPure

Trying to buff everything to the highest level seems foolish anyway if you actually want to achieve build diversity, every time they add a new item or set to the game they have to make sure it is buffed to the strength of whatever the strongest thing is and if anything gets ahead you have to buff everything else again, it's just a never ending cycle if you constantly buff everything.

That said, I agree about the playstyle change, I don't see the point in making it more active, why can't there be options? Especially with demon hunter where the only non-dump offensive ability is RoV, every build is going to feel pretty similar since all of them will basically be try not to go out of hatred and then use your hatred dump of choice over and over. Even if builds are different technically the playstyle still feels similar, just look at crusader, almost all of their highend builds are "use all the skills that give wrath or give RCR and then spam a single nuke ability." Holy Shotgun and Stampede feel exactly the same to play except one is melee and one is ranged, I hate it.

Raticus79

Looks like support Witch Doctor's still a safe bet. It even got a buff with the 20% damage boost Haunt.

I'm expecting a nerf on Tiklandian Visage lockdown at some point unless they decide to bring the other crowd control options up to par. Still working on my WD in the mean time.

Syntek

Not sure how I feel about the Mara changes. I think it ultimately comes down to whether you play solo or group. I'm think the patch will end up being a substantial DPS buff for group play, but solo play is getting nerfed hard. DH could end up somewhat like WDs, monks, etc., where you would have a specialized build that can tackle 45+ in a group, but the top ceiling for solo would now be many more tiers below that.

This is mostly the case already, other than the handful of DHs in the leaderboard pushing 43+ solo. The average DHs that are running 43+ in groups can only manage high 30's solo. With the new Mara changes, I can see the average DHs pushing a few tiers higher in groups, but a few tiers lower in solo.

I think I'll try to get all of my gems as high as I can before patch hits. Solo DH is going to be a thing of the past, and I'm not a fan of grouping with randoms.

Raticus79

They said they are going to be adding a 6 piece bonus to Nat. Didn't say what but it's in the works.

I hope that new "Entangled enemies take X% more damage from all sources" Legendary is a 1H Xbow. Would combo well with Calamity for the Multishot set and allow you to have +20 Discipline from the weapons alone. The Multishot set has a Cloak so that's another +10. I wonder if it's possible to get 100 Discipline on a DH... that would make Multishot hit 10 times as hard.

I see there are lots of people talking about Focus + Restraint for demon hunters now too.

I had to look it up since I'm so used to ignoring those rings - "Your primary resource spenders that spent resource deal 50% more damage while you are at full resource".

joesmokey

I see there are lots of people talking about Focus + Restraint for demon hunters now too.

I had to look it up since I'm so used to ignoring those rings - "Your primary resource spenders that spent resource deal 50% more damage while you are at full resource".
Those are ones they specifically pointed out in the panel as likely getting an overhaul in the future (since nobody wants to use both rings at once).

Definitely worth hanging onto well-rolled ones.

Dahbomb

Wait does full resource mean Discipline or Hatred or both? It has to mean Hatred and in that way I don't see how it helps DH that much.

Of course they are.

When you build a house and one of your walls is higher than the others, you can do two things:

- You can lower that wall.

- Or you can increase the size of the other walls. But then you have to deal wih issues like the plumbery needing more tubes. The wiring for power distribution that needs longer cables. The stairs that need to be changed for a bigger model. And a myriad other issues.

Balancing with only buffs is a moronic way to deal with issues. Think about how things would be right now if aberrations like Whirlwind, Ice Orb or Shard of Hate had been allowed to stay. Better to just apply common sense and keep your game difficulty under control. Some noisy guys on battle.net will scream bloody murder the whole time between nerf disclosure and nerf application, and three day later, when they'll see that the sky didn't fall, they'll have calmed down.

Addnan

Thanks game, just what I needed for my Monk =/

E2z2SFbl.jpg

joesmokey

Seems like whenever I finally use a gift I've been holding onto, I manage to get another one soon after. I have only once actually had more than one at a time (not that I'm really complaining).

Maybe I should DE some of my lightning Stone of Jordans...

ZenaxPure

I'm expecting a nerf on Tiklandian Visage lockdown at some point unless they decide to bring the other crowd control options up to par. Still working on my WD in the mean time.

The messed up part is even if they nerf Tiklandian it won't matter much for WD since Halcyon is also still OP. You can keep everything but elites locked forever with just Halcyon/SMK and even then the elites can only use their default attacks because of that taunt, it's nuts.

Dahbomb

The problem with nerfing M6 was that they did it so damn late after people had spend months on it. It was OP the day they fixed the Sentries but instead they sat on it for months. Ditto for old Rimeheart/Furnace and Exploding Palm.

I expect in 5 months they will finally buckle and remove Pylons from GRs.

I also expect the next nerf to be to Monks having near perma Serenity up.

Raticus79

Perma-Serenity nerf? Hmm, I'll bet against that for now - I don't think it'll be possible to dish out enough damage even with the new SWK working with dual wield for anyone to care, but who knows. Support crusaders beat monks for group damage, and WD wins for crowd control.

The messed up part is even if they nerf Tiklandian it won't matter much for WD since Halcyon is also still OP. You can keep everything but elites locked forever with just Halcyon/SMK and even then the elites can only use their default attacks because of that taunt, it's nuts.

Does that follow the player around like the Tiki horrify too?

Syntek

Seems like whenever I finally use a gift I've been holding onto, I manage to get another one soon after. I have only once actually had more than one at a time (not that I'm really complaining).

Maybe I should DE some of my lightning Stone of Jordans...

Don't kill me.
zkUPwZw.jpg

The problem with nerfing M6 was that they did it so damn late after people had spend months on it. It was OP the day they fixed the Sentries but instead they sat on it for months. Ditto for old Rimeheart/Furnace and Exploding Palm.
It did take them what, two years to fix CM wiz and perma WotB Barb.

M6 will still be plenty strong for T6 content. My concern was that it would be rather terrible knowing that I have no chance of ever climbing the leaderboard, but now it sounds like both season AND non-season leaderboard (or Era as Blizzard puts it) will reset with season 2. I think I'm okay with this...

Raticus79

Tempest Rush with SWK gives one clone per second.

The clones are 1000% damage, not 100%.

"Philosophy note: With only some minor adjustments to supporting gear, build, and playstyle, Monks with four pieces of the updated Monkey King’s Garb should be able to match or even exceed their previous best Greater Rift time and level. With a complete optimization of the new Set bonuses, Monks should easily (or at least reliably) exceed their previous best Greater Rift time and level.
Has been redesigned
(2) Set Bonus
Casting Cyclone Strike, Exploding Palm, Lashing Tail Kick, Tempest Rush, or Wave of Light causes a decoy to spawn that taunts nearby enemies and then explodes for 1000% weapon damage
Decoy explosion now deals the damage type of your highest +% Elemental Damage
(4) Set Bonus
Enemies hit by the decoy explosion take 500% more damage from your Cyclone Strike, Exploding Palm, Lashing Tail Kick, Tempest Rush, and Wave of Light abilities for 3 seconds"

Dahbomb

Broken Crown is still ass for end game but I can see people using it in Seasons (if they are ever worthwhile to run) to gain a particular type of Gem early on. I don't personally see myself using it at all and it's still insta Salvage tier.

Helltrapper nerfed directly... cannot exceed Sentry/Caltrop/Spike Trap normal cap.

The Marauder set seems to have a different effect than before. It sounds worse now. Unless it's a misprint.

The clones are 1000% damage, not 100%.
That's how it always was, originally someone reported it by saying it was 100% but when the pics came out they were clearly 1000%.

blizzcon14_sunwukospaw_tfu_01.png

Raticus79

Looks like that 500% damage is 5x, so that's good. My LTK are hitting about as hard as my clones used to.

Tempest Rush is looking pretty good overall - I can almost keep that going with my full CDR gear with just epiphany:insight. Flurry nukes can hit hard but they take a while to build up.

Cyclone Strike: Eye of the Storm works beautifully as a left click while dual wielding. With epiphany up, you just twirl around the room and gather everything up in a second or so while doing a fair bit of damage.

These next few days should be really interesting for monks.

Dahbomb

Just noticed they fixed Bane of the Trapped for Monks.

Monks gonna be top 3 class in this patch... I am calling it right now.

I BELIEVE!

MrDaravon

The Mara set bonus in the patch notes is the same one I thought I saw in the datamined stuff which is why I was calling it a hard nerf...unless I was reading it wrong before lol.

Yeah Helltrapper directly nerfed so bye bye to that build, although that was pretty much gone anyway.

Has anyone checked Whimsydale? I wonder what they mean by it's more rewarding now.

Edit: Okay, Krider with the new Mara set is apparently ridiculously OP right now as it works with the set bonus. Someone on reddit said using it he cleared a shit GR42 with over half the time remaining. Also apparently the sentries use the current AI so they will track/aim properly at enemies when you fire. If they keep it this way I'm actually okay with the change as I went back and forth between passive M6 and playing actively with a Krider. Although I would need to get a better Krider, mine's well rolled BUT it was before they added gifts so it's rolled in a way that I can't add a socket so it's effectively missing a damage affix :/

Dahbomb

It's confirmed, the patch changes have a typo. The Marauder 2 piece bonus is ABSURD! It gives damage bonus to pretty much everything (40% per Sentry for Generators AND Spenders minus Strafe) not just Generators as it says in the patch list and you get to keep your 4 piece bonus from before (all Companions).

VvnZ8k5.png

From the looks of things DHs are actually dishing out MORE BURST DPS.

MrDaravon

It's confirmed, the patch changes have a typo. The Marauder 2 piece bonus is ABSURD! It gives damage bonus to pretty much everything (40% per Sentry for Generators AND Spenders minus Strafe) not just Generators as it says in the patch list and you get to keep your 4 piece bonus from before (all Companions).

VvnZ8k5.png

From the looks of things DHs are actually dishing out MORE BURST DPS.

Yeah if they keep it this way I'm actually pretty okay with the changes honestly, having the damage buff to most of the spenders is worthwhile. Also makes Krider pretty OP though.

Although that does make the new seasonal bow potentially really good too since I would assume that Entangling Shot procs Cull the Weak and Bane of the Trapped so you could sub that in for Frost Arrow to proc those and get the flat damage increase across the board. Hmm.

Dahbomb

Yeah if they keep it this way I'm actually pretty okay with the changes honestly, having the damage buff to most of the spenders is worthwhile. Also makes Krider pretty OP though.

LMAO @ being "OK" with a legitimate buff.

That is hands down one of the best 2 piece set bonus in the game. You can legitimately make some non M6 custom builds that can crush GR35+ with just the 2 piece bonus.

Imagine combining the new 6 piece Multishot set with just the 2 piece Marauder assuming the 6 piece Multishot set has a piece that doesn't overlap with M6 (like say a Belt). That would be absurd.

Raticus79

Just noticed they fixed Bane of the Trapped for Monks.

Monks gonna be top 3 class in this patch... I am calling it right now.

I BELIEVE!

Yup, looking good so far I'd say. It's also a lot more fun from what I've seen so far. We might even see some monk groups for greater rifts.

The SWK clone taunt is working much better now - I can see the taunt icon on their heads (looks like three claw marks) for about 2 seconds and they walk into range.

LMAO @ being "OK" with a legitimate buff.

That is hands down one of the best 2 piece set bonus in the game. You can legitimately make some non M6 custom builds that can crush GR35+ with just the 2 piece bonus.

Imagine combining the new 6 piece Multishot set with just the 2 piece Marauder assuming the 6 piece Multishot set has a piece that doesn't overlap with M6 (like say a Belt). That would be absurd.

Maybe they'll be nice and let demon hunters run the 3 piece for the pets.

kuYuri

Trying my M6 now and holy shit, the DPS is kinda insane. I'm destroying elites within seconds compared to before.

Put down 3+ sentries as soon as the fight starts and shoot a couple of LFB CAs. I'm dealing around 120 million dmg crits vs old M6 sentry casting hatred spenders dealing around 13 million or so dmg crits.

EDIT: So some crits in the 220 million dmg range, lol. My M6 dh is not even all that great compared to others, heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom