• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Silent Hill 2 Remake - PS5 Tech Review - An Authentic UE5 Recreation... But What About Performance?

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Can't even imagine how it looks in max settings on PC. I did some back and forth between performance and quality on PS5 and it's absolutely shocking the difference between those modes. It's like skipping a full generation of graphics in some areas. Even worse than Callisto. Anyone currently playing SH2 on PS5 in performance mode should be cursed by 1000 Pyramid Heads.

And this is why I NEEED THAT PRO!!

It is maddening how many times I choose QUALITY because the difference is just staggering to my eyes. The extra detail >>>> frames for me in slow paced games. It looks far more next gen.

Pretty soon I won't need to choose (or if I do, it means the quality mode on PRO will look even more insane!)

Senua

Gold Member
disgusted homer simpson GIF

And this is why I NEEED THAT PRO!!

It is maddening how many times I choose QUALITY because the difference is just staggering to my eyes. The extra detail >>>> frames for me in slow paced games. It looks far more next gen.

Pretty soon I won't need to choose (or if I do, it means the quality mode on PRO will look even more insane!)

One thing is certain, the PS5 Pro will not be running Silent Hill 2 at a locked 60 fps, based on the performance of the base version.

It would be nice if the developers added a 40 fps / 120 Hz mode for the Pro but somehow I think we'll still get the same "up to" 30 fps and "up to" 60 fps modes, but I would expect the 30 fps Quality mode should be a bit more stable with the 10% boost to the Pro's CPU.

Vick

Gold Member
One thing is certain, the PS5 Pro will not be running Silent Hill 2 at a locked 60 fps, based on the performance of the base version.

It would be nice if the developers added a 40 fps / 120 Hz mode for the Pro but somehow I think we'll still get the same "up to" 30 fps and "up to" 60 fps modes, but I would expect the 30 fps Quality mode should be a bit more stable with the 10% boost to the Pro's CPU.
uBVvC08.gif

There's always a chance Bloober could come up with one lazy, lackluster Pro support.. but I bookmarked this post.

4PacvBk.gif

Bojji

uBVvC08.gif

There's always a chance Bloober could come up with one lazy, lackluster Pro support.. but I bookmarked this post.

4PacvBk.gif

30fps PS5 version can run in 45fps on pro.

This is just using 45% increase.

If they add pssr, performance uplift will be less than that. Unless they also drop resolution.

Of course I'm talking about software lumen, hardware lumen is even more demanding.

I GUESS that they will keep 30fps mode but change software lumen to hardware and swap their AA with pssr.

Performance mode will be the same but with higher res (and pssr?).

30fps PS5 version can run in 45fps on pro.

This is just using 45% increase.

If they add pssr, performance uplift will be less than that. Unless they also drop resolution.

Of course I'm talking about software lumen, hardware lumen is even more demanding.

I GUESS that they will keep 30fps mode but change software lumen to hardware and swap their AA with pssr.

Performance mode will be the same but with higher res (and pssr?).
If they drop res to 1080p on quality mode, and go with PSSR, they will run it at 60 for your demise

Bojji

If they drop res to 1080p on quality mode, and go with PSSR, they will run it at 60 for your demise

It already drops to resolution not much above 1080p in quality mode (and still drops frames):

NeRLhG7.jpeg

But it has reconstruction (TAAU, TSR, FSR2? Not specified) to 4k so cost of PSSR should be almost 0. Maybe using performance mode settings but with quality mode lumen would get them to 60fps?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm playing it on PC and I think it looks fantastic. My PC is not the best in the market, so the framerate dips slightly. To be honest it doesn't bother me. Maybe I'm just weird but I think it's a good experience..

kevboard

It already drops to resolution not much above 1080p in quality mode (and still drops frames):

NeRLhG7.jpeg

those numbers make sense. I started it on my RTX3060ti PC, with hardware RT on I have to use DLSS settings that correspond to roughly that PS5 performance mode resolution.

I'm playing at 1440p DLSS Balanced with hardware Raytracing enabled. this is about 1485x835 internal resolution. all other settings I have on medium. I wonder which ones the PS5 uses there.

I get a range of 50~70fps with that. but with the typical Unreal Engine I/O stutters of course sadly... god how I hate this dogshit engine. oh, and dynamic res seems to be absolutely broken on PC too... at least it absolutely doesn't work right when I tried using it in combination with TSR

Last edited:
Top Bottom