• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Silent Hill 2 Remake - PS5 Tech Review - An Authentic UE5 Recreation... But What About Performance?

Imtjnotu

Can we have one DF thread without Alex BS please.
Discover No Way GIF by ADWEEK

nkarafo

UE5 so you already know it's going to run like shit.

I'll probably go into next gen with a nice little backlog of UE5 games I'll wait to play in a non subpar capacity
Shader stutters can't be brute forced with better hardware. These games will always be infected with those stutters.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Dead Space Remake when i've played on pc was smooth as butter.
i played dead space 3 months after launch. stuttering mess.
then again 6 months after launch. stuttering mess.
i played it again 18 months after launch and it was a suttering mess.

i dont care what gpu or cpu you have, it will always have a stutter. maybe you have a cpu from the future.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah but reflections are only a small component of the overall image and aren't used in every area, so while it looks better it's not that significant to the overall look of the game. Which is the case for most RT solutions. I find them to be a bit overrated in general given the typical performance hit unless they are done intelligently (like SM2). They just don't make that big of a difference most of the time if the rest of the game is using good reflection techniques that aren't RT.
Nope. RT reflections arent only being applied to puddles and mirror like surfaces. RT reflections can reflect lighting to bounce from one object to another creating its own gi solution. thats why reflections are literally called diffused lighting. They can and do enhance the overall image.

callisto has the best example of this that John points out in his review. there is no RTgi in this game, just rt reflections and shadows. and they apply to more than just reflective surfaces.

Timestamped:

the reason why last gen games didnt benefit from this is because they used low tier assets that didnt have reflective properties. as we move to next gen and better assets and materials are used, you will begin to see reflections affect lighting more and more and thats where rt reflections really shine.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Nope. RT reflections arent only being applied to puddles and mirror like surfaces. RT reflections can reflect lighting to bounce from one object to another creating its own gi solution. thats why reflections are literally called diffused lighting. They can and do enhance the overall image.

callisto has the best example of this that John points out in his review. there is no RTgi in this game, just rt reflections and shadows. and they apply to more than just reflective surfaces.

Timestamped:

the reason why last gen games didnt benefit from this is because they used low tier assets that didnt have reflective properties. as we move to next gen and better assets and materials are used, you will begin to see reflections affect lighting more and more and thats where rt reflections really shine.

Like I said, the effect is subtle and probably not worth the performance hit in my view. They'd be able to crank up the detail substantially more without it.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
UXEYbmX.png

Is it me or the OG is scarier in this scene? There's something with the film grain and low resolution that reminds me of an old VHS and this adds to the eeriness and unnatural atmosphere. I've never played the original, so it's not nostalgia speaking. As beautiful and atmospheric the new game is, there's a little something in the original that makes it a lot more frightening to me. I probably would shit my pants playing the PS2 version, but I would have no problem with the remake.

Edit: Watched the full video and Tom shares the same sentiment. The found footage VHS quality definitely takes the dread to a new level.

Last edited:

vpance

Is it me or the OG is scarier in this scene? There's something with the film grain and low resolution that reminds me of an old VHS and this adds to the eeriness and unnatural atmosphere. I've never played the original, so it's not nostalgia speaking. As beautiful and atmospheric the new game is, there's a little something in the original that makes it a lot more frightening to me. I probably would shit my pants playing the PS2 version, but I would have no problem with the remake.

Edit: Watched the full video and Tom shares the same sentiment. The found footage VHS quality definitely takes the dread to a new level.

The crisp and cleaness of the remake does change the feel from the original. But as a game that's expected to show off graphical upgrades I think it's mostly a fine decision.

Their filter options could have been more extensive with the grain and grittyness though.

I don't trust that Alex guy. He exaggerates most of the time. According to him Dead Space Remake or Black Myth Wukong with RT are stuttering mess, but I have played these games and still had a joyful experience. I also can't understand why he's so obsessed with locked 60fps, because in 2024 pretty much everyone is playing on VRR displays.

Autistic retards and their fucked up triggers have taken over all discussion regarding graphics.

Top Bottom