• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

Huskar and Ursa, two guys a lot of new players have trouble with, can be crushed by any stun. Especially Huskar since his whole gimmick is that he kills you with barely any health. Keep in stunned for just a bit, and it gives you enough time to whittle down his health. Someone like Vengeful Spirit would be good against him or at least buy you some time.

Pic dump:

24B21A65C2DE1FF0FDE8E9C96EE704509780AEDD

80FC616179CBC7DA860A156691C179C49D873F79

5EB65F46ED60BDD3757D5CD0CEDAD81FCF09FDEF

BDFC486429091B1037E0DAC52DEB9E056ED592E1

84CC838C10FCCB990DAA6B0B3CAA3A612279086E

CEABB6C0C3407950719F1513ADFF2549D6708CCC

23C6AF7D330DB27DE7451187D03E15D11ECFF67E

D191FFE9D8F437CC97C4C44F24EFB70F95AE977E

48AFF067C4637CC9A731B6381AD48573B0CDB30A

D46FEC3486DEED15D031EBB60D5E5696BD4A6814

8CECF30D7E38F702DFDBFA5F106194713BAB4122

776E7AA98DBCBE85A38468E31B086DEEB3D9367A

F35A782F9DA5DAA1C73D594924926E6CF37FED06

SamVimes

Huskar and Ursa, two guys a lot of new players have trouble with, can be crushed by any stun. Especially Huskar since his whole gimmick is that he kills you with barely any health. Keep in stunned for just a bit, and it gives you enough time to whittle down his health. Someone like Vengeful Spirit would be good against him or at least buy you some time.
Yeah totally, too bad you can't even tickle him with magic damage.

Yes, I have fought against a competent Huskar. Have lost quite a lot of those games but he CAN be countered with an Eul. Not easy, but possible. Better if you have heroes that you can deal pure damage against him, which makes him not not as dangerous as he could be.

I fucking hate that hero, but you are REALLY labelling him as unstoppable, which he isn't.
Unless you pick a counter he's a huge pain in the ass the whole game, he falls off lategame but it's just so annoying to play against that shit.

edit: actually yeah, heaven's halberd is probably the best item to deal with him.

woodland

Yeah totally, too bad you can't even tickle him with magic damage.

Unless you pick a counter he's a huge pain in the ass the whole game, he falls off lategame but it's just so annoying to play against that shit.

edit: actually yeah, heaven's halberd is probably the best item to deal with him.

The point is stopping his lifesteal and massive damage, not killing him with stuns. Besides, if he's doing the Ghost Scepter build like is currently popular, stuns will be somewhat more effect, obviously not a ton though.

SamVimes

The point is stopping his lifesteal and massive damage, not killing him with stuns. Besides, if he's doing the Ghost Scepter build like is currently popular, stuns will be somewhat more effect, obviously not a ton though.

His lifesteal doesn't do much of anything anymore which is why i'm always happy if i see an opponent buy dominator. The reason that he wants to buy ghost scepter is that magic damage is still not doing anything to him, so he's pretty much invulnerable for the duration.

Really hope that patch is soon, I think it's best if I quit playing. Shit's worse than lycan. Atleast with lycan they didn't hand him a BKB 8 mins into the game.

Snowdrift

Are players colours representative of their skill level like in HoN? eg: Blue/Pink are the best players on the Radiant/Dire sides, and Orange/Brown are the worst.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Are players colours representative of their skill level like in HoN? eg: Blue/Pink are the best players on the Radiant/Dire sides, and Orange/Brown are the worst.

Not at all, just depends on what random order the game decided to put you in when you joined the game.

For Captain's Mode games, the team's will always set-up in the lobby with their captain first so they can be the one drafting, but other than that the order doesn't matter.

Once you're in a game, there's no way at all to tell how much apparent skill a person does or doesn't have until you watch them play.

KingKong

Bounty Hunter has such boring sets. Someone needs to give him a hoodie or something, the different sets might as well be recolors of each other

Bounty Hunter has such boring sets. Someone needs to give him a hoodie or something, the different sets might as well be recolors of each other

that one beard is really unique. I don't really remember what crate it was in or if it even drops, but it's really nice.

Other than that, his weapons are pretty bland. He has some decent backpacks though.

dorkimoe

Is there a way to find out which skill bracket you are in? I'm assuming I'm in low but it'd be interesting to know.

You used to have to go search through your old games and you can filter by tier. I dont know how accurate that was though ;\

Why are a bunch of the players still in Seattle? Seems like a very long trip

RubxQub

Is there a way to find out which skill bracket you are in? I'm assuming I'm in low but it'd be interesting to know.

In the game, go to the "Watch" tab and to "Recent".

In the filter, type your name as the player, and change the skill bracket setting to Very High and run. See if you pop up and when the games were.

Then change the filter to High.

Then to Normal.

Will give you a decent indicator.

Dotabuff also added this functionality back on a game by game basis, so you can check your recent games there and see what bracket you're in.

BraXzy

In the game, go to the "Watch" tab and to "Recent".

In the filter, type your name as the player, and change the skill bracket setting to Very High and run. See if you pop up and when the games were.

Then change the filter to High.

Then to Normal.

Will give you a decent indicator.

Dotabuff also added this functionality back on a game by game basis, so you can check your recent games there and see what bracket you're in.

Yeah I'm mainly normal, guessed as much, ahh well :D

RubxQub

Yeah I'm mainly normal, guessed as much, ahh well :D

If you checked Dotabuff, make sure to actually view games you've played vs. just looking at your overview.

It'll say every single game you've played is "Normal" on your overview, but you need to drill into the specific games to see what bracket they really were.

Have seen that tidbit trip some folks up in the Reddit comments.

KingKong

that one beard is really unique. I don't really remember what crate it was in or if it even drops, but it's really nice.

Other than that, his weapons are pretty bland. He has some decent backpacks though.

yeah that does look nice http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Wraps_of_the_Seasoned_Veteran

who would you guys say has the best sets? It seems like Nyx is batting 1000 right now and he'll probably get this set next http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=111487571

Rubick has a pretty good diverse collection of sets. Each one has a very unique style to it.

Nyx has so much diversity his sets don't really mix and match that well. Rubick sort of has this issue too.

I guess that's the problem with diverse items, they're hard to mix and match.

RubxQub

Rubick has a pretty good diverse collection of sets. Each one has a very unique style to it.

Nyx has so much diversity his sets don't really mix and match that well. Rubick sort of has this issue too.

I guess that's the problem with diverse items, they're hard to mix and match.

Something that's funny about the mixing of Rubick sets is that if you use the inscrutable set hood with the default face, you have his little top-knot popping out of the hood, which is actually kind of a cool look.

Nothing beats the Rubick Inscrutable set to me, though. Love it.

gDddtD9.png
u0T8ObC.png

I use the hood with the councilor's mask and it works great. The hood has a little decoration where the knot clips through, so it looks like it's supposed to be there, and looks fine.
I was mostly thinking about that other set Rubick has that clips with everything badly, even his default items.
His new set seems to work fine with other items though. Vlad usually keeps his items pretty low key and compatible with nearly everything. Kind of curious what that new mask looks like with the hood.

I remember being so afraid the Zeal set would be removed. Valve was smart with it though, didn't remove it, ignored the stupid "remove it volvo lol" feedback and made improvements to the textures to make it fit better. And now it's one of Rubick's most used sets, it might even be his most used set, although I think as a whole the Councilor's set is a little more popular as it has the best mask of any set.

Anyway, the Storm Size increase is probably because he's being made more muscular and larger in general. Probably to keep in line with the pretty large Ember Spirit art work.
Veno is going to be made more scary and less "cute." No more banana jokes.
This wasn't early Shadow Fiend art, the one is the middle is his remake. The other two were other ideas for his remake.
Clockwerk is also being remodeled. Probably going to look similar to his unused higher res model, where his helmet is open and you can see his face slightly.

These four bits of info come from a contributor who toured Valve during TI3 and asked about them.

Dota network looks like it went down right after I won my first game and now it's not showing up. Welp, that's disappointing. :(

Went 6/0/13 as Ogre Magi, felt pretty good

RubxQub

Storm Spirit size up is a huge difference, that is some Elder Titan shit.

Storm Spirit being a zippy little fucker seems to lend itself more to a smaller size vs. a larger one anyways in my mind.

I'm hoping the size increase is minor vs. this major shift.

...also I need to practice my Elder Titan now that he's in CM. I've been dabbling in my micro intensive heroes so adding ET to that list makes sense.

RubxQub

Some random things I was thinking about that are good to know if you're looking to advance your game a bit that I don't see mentioned often:

- You can pick-up and/or buy items at your enemies fountain by standing next to it. When you're pushing over their base, you can pick up something that will help secure a win or a TP to get back. (see: TI3 Game 5 w/Admiral Bulldog)

- Try and always have the high ground on your enemies. When you're roaming around, you should almost always be taking high-ground paths to get to where you want to go to prevent walking blindly into the enemy team. Using the high-ground to bait the enemy is also a useful tactic...camping people up on the high-ground to jump a would-be roamer who can't see you. High ground is important.

- There are more ways to pull than just the standard medium camp pulls on both sides. On the Dire top-lane you can pull the heavy camp into the lane either diagonally towards the Dire tower or horizontally towards the Radiant tower. Also if you aren't able to stack, you can always pull another camp into the currently unstacked camp just as they're dying to kill off the entire creep wave and secure the full XP for yourself. On the radiant side you do this by using a tango or quelling blade to cut the trees on the normal medium camp and pull the above medium camp through the hole you punched.

- Situational warding: try and know what is going to be important or is important and ward accordingly. Don't just keep warding the rune spots the whole game...while they are useful, having vision on the Rosh pit specifically around the time Rosh becomes a feasible target for either side is important. Having wards around objectives that you're trying to take to help secure the objective are also very important (warding near or behind a tower you're pushing so you can see if anyone is coming to stop you). Don't be afraid to throw a ward in a weird place from time to time if you know it's going to be a choke-point for a fight or if you feel the enemy will congregate there in an attempt to jump you. Also...you can ward the enemy base from outside the walls, and I highly recommend you do this when attempting to go high-ground on them. Give you vision inside the base whereas you normally have none. Just do it outside the range of towers, and be careful of heroes on the enemy side seeing you do this an initiating on you.

...probably more stuff I'm not thinking about right now, but I've started focusing more on these things and they have a lot more value than you'd think.

Do you guys think it'll be alright to have a dedicated Tournament based thread in the Gaming Thread, or is it out of the question? I see LoL has a Championship series thread up in there, so was thinking if a 2013/2014 Dota 2 Season series could also exist in the Gaming Thread.

Would be a nice way to bring more people to watch Dota 2 :D

Anteo

I just realised how bad techies is going to disrupt my current way of playing. Going around smoked in the enemy forest with no gem? Death. Lose the gem somehow? your safest option is 5man towers and spam sentries (walk in the lanes so the creeps clean the mines for you)

Do you guys think it'll be alright to have a dedicated Tournament based thread in the Gaming Thread, or is it out of the question? I see LoL has a Championship series thread up in there, so was thinking if a 2013/2014 Dota 2 Season series could also exist in the Gaming Thread.

Would be a nice way to bring more people to watch Dota 2 :D
I'm fine with having competitive and stream discussions in a separate thread and leave this one for general game and patch discussions.

Ketch

The Giant Bomb chat channel is another great place to find premades.

I've had a lot fun and success playing with those guys.

wut, apparently Shadow Demon, Ogre Magi and Undying are also on the list to be remade, according to a random employee at TI3.

So yea, the list of remakes coming

Viper "will be shipped before TI3"...
Venomancer "don't bother making items, we're remaking him" 4 month ago...
Storm Spirit, pulled from item creation 4 months ago with Veno, said to be remade to be slightly more muscular and god like to match Ember Spirit better. Apparently a mix of what we have now and that concept are we saw before that we all thought was Zet.
Zeus is on the list
Ogre Magi?
Shadow Demon...?
Undying? He's not even an old hero.
Clockwerk
Shadow Fiend confirmed remake based on that sick awesome concept art

Who needs new heroes when 10% of the cast is being remade haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom