• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixghost

Do you guys have any tips for learning to play from behind? It's so easy to fall into the mindset of "we're behind so we can't farm safely, but if we don't farm we'll never get back in the game."

Opiate

Well that certainly makes it easier, and also explains why I no longer had any keys! I assumed they were given away in Bingo, but now it seems more likely they vanished when the closed beta did.

Do you guys have any tips for learning to play from behind? It's so easy to fall into the mindset of "we're behind so we can't farm safely, but if we don't farm we'll never get back in the game."

Merlini had an episode on youtube about it. One of the things he suggested is that you need to re-establish some map territory. Like ward up your jungle and roam as a 5 giving priority farm to your carry.

Here's the episode

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
wut, apparently Shadow Demon, Ogre Magi and Undying are also on the list to be remade, according to a random employee at TI3.

So yea, the list of remakes coming

Viper "will be shipped before TI3"...
Venomancer "don't bother making items, we're remaking him" 4 month ago...
Storm Spirit, pulled from item creation 4 months ago with Veno, said to be remade to be slightly more muscular and god like to match Ember Spirit better. Apparently a mix of what we have now and that concept are we saw before that we all thought was Zet.
Zeus is on the list
Ogre Magi?
Shadow Demon...?
Undying? He's not even an old hero.
Clockwerk
Shadow Fiend confirmed remake based on that sick awesome concept art

Who needs new heroes when 10% of the cast is being remade haha

where is my goddamn new shadowfiend; i can't wait anymore

shira

vJPZrbR.jpg

shieeeet indeed

KingKong

dota 2 store is still fucked and it seems like so are the fantasy points? maybe theyre sorting that out before giving rewards, dont make me wait another week Valve please :(

BraXzy

Could anyone that has experience with Natures Prophet be kind enough to view my recent game with him and let me know how I did? I've played him about 5 times now and starting to get to grips with him, I still suck at farming fast enough. I went for quite a high DPS build.

Scratch that, I don't think it counted, or it wasn;t recorded, due to the restart :/

On a side note, my TI3 courier which had the Unusual name but not effect, is now as it should be. With the shiny glowy green goodness :)

The fantasy team item boxes have proper backpack icons now (not ms paint text over an immortal box) but there aren't any items in the schema for them.

I wonder if they'll give lockless crate items. That'd be kind of cool, maybe each level giving a different number of them.

We're back to regular red background now - no more fancy green for TI3.

Will have to add the -international2012 command back in for the sexy blue.

Oh and the bug with the duplicate TI tags seems to have been fixed. Store is still down though. Too many hats to handle I guess.

woober

The green TI3 background reminded me of Breaking Bad's theme. It felt like meth was cooking behind the scenes lol.

God that spectre set is a joke. DonDon should sue them

$15 for the weiner dog

When can we expect chests with the weiner dog to show up?

Yeah that new Morph set is overpriced. All his other ones look as good if not better and are half the price or less.

New Spectre set is underwhelming too. I really dig the pieces I got from the TI3 chest.

Drow and QoP set are pretty decent though, even if they're not everyone's cup of tea. Drow set might be the best one currently available for her.

Had another kickass offlane Morphling game and this time actually won the match. 14-2-15. We were up against a toll Pudge/Chen combo but the Pudge couldn't land a hook if his life depended on it. I don't think I've ever gotten an Eaglesong that quickly.

store is up

cant believe they're charging 12 bucks for the morphling set. Nyx is only $8 too. Man thats tempting

I just bought the Luminary of the Dreadful Abyss recently for 2.50$, it looks just as good as that new one and it's literally a quarter of the cost.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Whenever I watch Dota 1 videos it always seems like things are much more spread out. The lanes in particular seem much wider. Is this accurate, is there an actual difference? And if so, does Dota 2 adjust the "unit system" so that things like spell radius and movement speed still effect the equivalent "fractions" of the map?

BeesEight

Had a fun game tonight where I was Viper in a lane against Bane and Juggernaut. Had a Vengeful Spirit on my team who refused to stun so I ended up dead four times in a row.

So, my question is, what do you do when you're the secondary carry and your lane is a complete bust? Do you just sit under the tower? We had a Nature's Prophet who dominated the jungle and I was too low level to take over mid when that player went ganking since I'd just get dived by the Nightstalker.

I tried to find farm and levels but no matter where I went on the map, everyone was higher level than me and the constant moving around just left me further behind in experience. Of course it was solo queue so the entire team just complains instead of tries to help.

Anteo

Whenever I watch Dota 1 videos it always seems like things are much more spread out. The lanes in particular seem much wider. Is this accurate, is there an actual difference? And if so, does Dota 2 adjust the "unit system" so that things like spell radius and movement speed still effect the equivalent "fractions" of the map?

You know.. I actually had the opposite impresion, Dota2 map felt bigger the first time I played it. I do wonder about the unit system, that thing was so broken in Wc3 for programed spells that I wonder if they ported as it was or they fixed it:

Example:
There are 2 types of spells on dota, hardcoded and programed.

-Hardcoded spells are default spells used by the wc3 engine. In this case, if a AoE spell has 300 radius, you only need part of the model to be inside the AoE so the unit is affected.
-Programed spells are spells that are programed using in game triggers, generally speaking you program a behavior and use hardcoded spells/buffs in sequence to get a effect. For example Zeus: Creates a invulnerable-non model-unit really high on top of every hero, orders the unit to use Chain of Lighting on the hero (so it looks as a thunder comes down).
Now, when you have hardcoded AoE spells (so when you look for every unit in a area to apply a effect to each one) the center of the unit must be inside the circle or it wont count.

What this means? If you are on the edge of a AoE spell, it most likely not hit you if its a programed spell.
How do you fix it? Make the AoE sighly bigger without telling the players, so a 300 radius spell shoudl actually look for units in 316. That should make it so enemis as big as 32units should be hit (so the edge of the model, 16 units from the center is at the border of the circle), however heroes like Phantom Lancer that are only 8units big will be hit even if they are outside of the theorical range (So if he is siting at 316, the closest part of his model to the center of the AoE is at 308, outside of the theorical range)

Is a mess, but I do wonder if they preserved the interaction for the sake of accuracy, or they just fixed and used the detection for aoe spells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom