• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
technically, the map of Dota 2 is scaled down from Dota 1, but everything is scaled at an equal proportion. However this also leads to tons of range and distance issues...

BraXzy

Ugh. I hate when someone is adamant a hero is just no good. A buddy of mine is determined to prove that Templar Assassin is outshone by other mid heroes in nearly every circumstance, and I said she has many uses and is effective against quite a few mids and yadayada, am I wrong in thinking she is as good if not better than numerous mids in numerous situations?

Like for example I said she is brilliant early game and can set off great ganks with trap and meld etc. But then he countered that storm spirit is better in every way for that.

Anteo

Ugh. I hate when someone is adamant a hero is just no good. A buddy of mine is determined to prove that Templar Assassin is outshone by other mid heroes in nearly every circumstance, and I said she has many uses and is effective against quite a few mids and yadayada, am I wrong in thinking she is as good if not better than numerous mids in numerous situations?

Like for example I said she is brilliant early game and can set off great ganks with trap and meld etc. But then he countered that storm spirit is better in every way for that.

He is right, Storm can start initiate from the shadows as early as level 6 while Templar needs to be close or get a dagger. However Templar is tankier than Storm, and he will have problems using his spells early while templar can deal a lot of damage with little mana. BUT, you can render her Shield useless by using some DoT, nullifying one of her advantages.

She is a beast at mid though, and is a bad matchup for puck one of the most dominant heroes on mid (and puck can actually get runes more often than not)

BraXzy

He is right, Storm can start initiate from the shadows as early as level 6 while Templar needs to be close or get a dagger. However Templar is tankier than Storm, and he will have problems using his spells early while templar can deal a lot of damage with little mana.

That's what I said but he was still determined to rule her out as a subpar hero. I gave up reasoning :p

Anteo

That's what I said but he was still determined to rule her out as a subpar hero. I gave up reasoning :p

You know what a subpar hero is? Broodmother.
Templar is really good against heroes that rely on big nukes instead of right clicks (and in the early game right clicks are slow so she still has the edge), the only reason why Storm can deal with her is because he is highly mobile and she can't keep up.

Storm can be picked off by heroes like Lion in teamfights and counterinitiations, sheep > impale > finger. Should be death with some team help. He will need more than that (and be sure the shields are down before using finger) to take down Templar.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You know what a subpar hero is? Broodmother.
Templar is really good against heroes that rely on big nukes instead of right clicks (and in the early game right clicks are slow so she still has the edge), the only reason why Storm can deal with her is because he is highly mobile and she can't keep up.

Storm can be picked off by heroes like Lion, sheep > impale > finger. Should be death with some team help. He will need more than that (and be sure the shields are down before using finger) to take down Templar.

I've even seen competitive teams run Brood successfully lately. I'm not sure if there's actually a hero in Dota I would call "bad", as in "not effective at any skill level" (although obviously some like Sniper aren't so hot in the competitive scene)

Dendi's Templar was near unstoppable in the TI3 Grand Finals against Alliance. In the right hands she's one of the best mids and also of the scariest mid game gankers in the game.

Anteo

I've even seen competitive teams run Brood successfully lately. I'm not sure if there's actually a hero in Dota I would call "bad", as in "not effective at any skill level" (although obviously some like Sniper aren't so hot in the competitive scene)

The only problem I have with Brood is that she has a huge potential for feeding the enemy with her spiders, even if the player is aware of this it can happen. I posted a list of changes since 6.49 a while ago and you can see how it was nerfed:

Increased bounty on spiders
Decreased Armor on spiders
Decreased spiders damage on towers

She was a beast at split pushing, but I believe the bounty is to high on the spiderites (16 - 21 currenly).
They should nerf the spiderites and buff the spiderlings, increase the bounty on spiderlings and decreased on spiderites. Spiderites should work as canon meat on towers rather than being the main attack foce. Hey you could make it so they deal -75% damage on towers or something, as long as they dont give so much gold.

She can solo heroes really well, thats one thing she has on her favor.

Edit: For the record: http://dotabuff.com/matches/280408320
Yes I did not play her as her usual rol, but that was because I knew we needed to presure the enemy so they could not farm.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Looks like Valve is going to actually add more advanced sorting options to the backpack:
"DOTA_Backpack_All_Items" "All Items"
"DOTA_Backpack_EditFilter" "Edit Filter"
"DOTA_Backpack_Filters" "Filters"
"DOTA_Backpack_CreateFilter" "Create Filter"
"DOTA_Backpack_CreateFilter_Save" "Save Filter"
"DOTA_Backpack_CreateFilter_Close" "Close"
"DOTA_Backpack_CreateFilter_Delete" "Delete Filter"
"DOTA_Backpack_CreateFilter_Name" "Filter Name:"
"DOTA_Filter_Rarity" "Rarity:"
"DOTA_Filter_Quality" "Quality:"
"DOTA_Filter_Type" "Type:"
"DOTA_Filter_Hero" "Hero:"
"DOTA_Filter_ItemName" "Item Name:"
"DOTA_Filter_UnownedItems" "Collector's View"
"DOTA_Filter_NewFilter" "New Filter"
"DOTA_Filter_Rules" "Rules:"
"DOTA_Filter_NewRule" "New Rule"
"DOTA_Filter_EditRule" "Edit Rule"
"DOTA_Filter_DeleteRule" "Delete Rule"
"DOTA_Backpack_ModifyRule" "Modify Rule"
"DOTA_Backpack_Sort" "Sort"
"DOTA_Backpack_Order" "Display Order"
"DOTA_Filter_Order" "Order by:"

// New Rule Dialog
"DOTA_Filter_Type" "Type:"
"DOTA_Filter_Field" "Field:"
"DOTA_Filter_Op" "Operator:"
"DOTA_Filter_Val" "Value:"
"DOTA_Filter_SaveRule" "Save"
"DOTA_Filter_CloseRule" "Cancel"

// Filter Rules
"DOTA_Filter_Rule_Name" "%s1 %s2 %s3"
"DOTA_Filter_Rule_Name_OR" " OR - %s1"

"DOTA_Filter_MaxFilters" "Currently only 8 filters are supported. Please delete or edit an existing filter."

// Filter Types
"DOTA_Filter_Type_None" ""
"DOTA_Filter_Type_And" "(AND)"
"DOTA_Filter_Type_Or" "(OR)"

// Filter Fields
"DOTA_Filter_Field_Quality" "Quality"
"DOTA_Filter_Field_Rarity" "Rarity"
"DOTA_Filter_Field_Type" "Type"
"DOTA_Filter_Field_ItemName" "Name"
"DOTA_Filter_Field_ItemDesc" "Description"

// Filter Operators
"DOTA_Filter_Operator_Equal" "is"
"DOTA_Filter_Operator_NotEqual" "is not"
"DOTA_Filter_Operator_LessThanEqual" "is or is less than"
"DOTA_Filter_Operator_LessThan" "is less than"
"DOTA_Filter_Operator_GreaterThanEqual" "is or is greater than"
"DOTA_Filter_Operator_GreaterThan" "is greater than"

yarden24

ok guys, i found out the secret to winning against a 5 carry team :

just lose the early game really hard, and make the game go long! it was so simple all along

ElyrionX

I am now on a 7-game losing streak after a 7-game winning streak (broken up by 1 loss) which came after another 7-game losing streak. Goddamnit.

My Anti-Mage went from 6-0 to 6-5 during this streak. Is it really too much to ask for teammates who don't feed in early game? One of my games I had a Leshrac who went 0-19 in 35mins. I was laning with him and he was just walking straight into the enemies and by the end of the game he had four Boots of Speed. I checked his Steam profile and he has 120 hours in Dota 2. I'm not even making this shit up.

EDIT: Going to try single draft and hope I do better there.

shira

I am now on a 7-game losing streak after a 7-game winning streak (broken up by 1 loss) which came after another 7-game losing streak. Goddamnit.

My Anti-Mage went from 6-0 to 6-5 during this streak. Is it really too much to ask for teammates who don't feed in early game? One of my games I had a Leshrac who went 0-19 in 35mins. I was laning with him and he was just walking straight into the enemies and by the end of the game he had four Boots of Speed. I checked his Steam profile and he has 120 hours in Dota 2. I'm not even making this shit up.

EDIT: Going to try single draft and hope I do better there.

I have yet to see something top riki shadowblade

Had a fun game tonight where I was Viper in a lane against Bane and Juggernaut. Had a Vengeful Spirit on my team who refused to stun so I ended up dead four times in a row.

So, my question is, what do you do when you're the secondary carry and your lane is a complete bust? Do you just sit under the tower? We had a Nature's Prophet who dominated the jungle and I was too low level to take over mid when that player went ganking since I'd just get dived by the Nightstalker.

I tried to find farm and levels but no matter where I went on the map, everyone was higher level than me and the constant moving around just left me further behind in experience. Of course it was solo queue so the entire team just complains instead of tries to help.

you should still be able to get some levels and be around the same as the opponents. Always make sure youre in xp range.

just be patient, go for last hits where you can but don't be greedy. Its essential that you have a tp scroll with you. Inevitably space will open up on a lane, usually mid, which gives you a chance to farm a wave or two.

you can go to the easy camp in the jungle just to get some pennies. Could also stack/pull so that you can keep that farm up. Change your item build as well (viper its different). If youre not getting enough farm for a battlefury for am, don't bother.

if theyre not making space for you (your supports) then you really cant do much.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Sorry I just had to post this gem:

9IQWF7U.jpg

ElyrionX

Just got into a game which we should have won. But two guys from our side DC-ed including one rage-quit from a Tusk when we were doing pretty well. Grrrrrrr.

protonion

Continuing my noob journey in the game I discovered Huskar!

I did not bother with burning spear. Maxed the other three and after that, I leveled up my stats.

His passive and fourth skill are insane! No mana worries. I had 15 kills. Heroes fled at my sight. Mu ha ha!

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Maybe he got Pendragon to delete all other traces off the internet
kinda like the original Teemo and Rammus

Boken

Banned

I did not bother with burning spear. Maxed the other three and after that, I leveled up my stats.

His passive and fourth skill are insane! No mana worries. I had 15 kills. Heroes fled at my sight. Mu ha ha!

pls.

Now use Burning Spears and watch everyone die instead of running.

Wok

Now use Burning Spears and watch everyone die instead of running.

How do you use burning spears: do you spam the spell or do you send it once and then use normal attacks while the ennemy burns?

And another unrelated question: which are the funniest heroes to play? I like Lich for its Sacrifice in lanes, and for Chain Frost in team fights. I like Bounty Hunter for the invisibility plus the high damage when you attack an ennemy in 1vs1, it is especially fun to go in the jungle and find an ennemy who is apparently lost. Do you have other examples to try?

Does MoM lina work?

No, she already gets ludicrous attack speed. Other people get MoM because they hit hard and want to hit faster.

If you want to play right-click Lina get a Crystalis.

How do you use burning spears: do you spam the spell or do you send it once and then use normal attacks while the ennemy burns?

Spam it because each Burning Spear attack's DoT stacks with each other.

f0rk

And another unrelated question: which are the funniest heroes to play? I like Lich for its Sacrifice in lanes, and for Chain Frost in team fights. I like Bounty Hunter for the invisibility plus the high damage when you attack an ennemy in 1vs1, it is especially fun to go in the jungle and find an ennemy who is apparently lost. Do you have other examples to try?

Ogre Magi because the voice samples are good and you can randomly 1 shot people

BraXzy

OMG people who are so stupid in this game drive me up the wall. Currently in a game with a Nyx, who after me midding as Nightstalker, decided they shouldn't get courier so I could stay in lane, and that our Void should instead. When I pointed out Void was our hard carry he said and I quote

"Why you so pro, sorry Dendi"

-.-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom