• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

XBOCT thinks it's a good enough pick up to buy first on spec in comp games, but then again he's only 4/10

Why the fuck would you go orb of venom on puck? It's garbage.

But he also went Vanguard, which seems like the "I'm going to do absolutely nothing but just exist." item combination to me. There are a million better choices than those, especially against that scary Drow.

Looks like you fed too much compared to him.

Basically the team let Drow have freefarm, and poor item choices from the Spectre lost us that game.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Its a good item on most strength or agi heroes as long as you pick your fights well and get the correct accompanying items.

For strength heroes, they can usually afford to take the damage. I've gotten it on Doom and DK before, but not before Id get a heart or something.

For agi heroes, you need to be able to come in quick and do damage and leave. Preferably the hero needs some sort of mechanism to stop enemies from attacking you. PA has evasion, Drow has the slow, Riki has the cloud. Accompanying items include Basher or Shadowblade, etc.

In summary just play smart and its a damn good item.

Strength heroes, sure, but some of those like Doom and DK you want other things over MoM, but the rest it's way too risky. Saying "Just play smart and it's a good item." would make it viable on Shadow Shaman, and we all know that is garbage.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Blood seekers silence is stupidly good early game, I wonder how much longer until he gets popular in competitive. Maybe just make thirst global, and or give him bonus agility under the effect. A bit more of anything should make him really viabal.

It's really good the entire game, honestly I think all he would need is an improvement on his cast point, he takes forever to cast that silence.

Gofu

Banned
But he also went Vanguard, which seems like the "I'm going to do absolutely nothing but just exist." item combination to me. There are a million better choices than those, especially against that scary Drow.

Basically the team let Drow have freefarm, and poor item choices from the Spectre lost us that game.

Strength heroes, sure, but some of those like Doom and DK you want other things over MoM, but the rest it's way too risky. Saying "Just play smart and it's a good item." would make it viable on Shadow Shaman, and we all know that is garbage.

Why am I quoted in this

Manus

Watched a buddie's game earlier and saw him playing against Death Prophet who went Blade Mail. Never seen the build before, but it seemed to work out. I can't imagine it being that great.

Played Dark Seer for the first time today. This guy is a lot of fun. Got one good ulti combo off, along with a couple of decent ones. We lost in the end but I got a hand in most of the kills we DID get.

Let me get one thing clear though: Ulti first, then vacuum, or vice versa? I've been going ulti first but I don't know how the reverse would go down.

By play smart I mean adapt your item build and strategy so that it is a useful item. There is no situation at all where a shaman could use MoM well lol. Only int heros it could be viable on are Windrunner, OD, Silencer, and Enchantress. But there are far better items to get on those heroes.

You say there are far better items to get on the heroes I listed... I have never done better with any item build on DK and PA other than the ones where I got MoM. And I do it consistently. I wouldn't say other items are bad, but for the way I play... MoM solves a lot of issues I have with several heroes.

Inversive

how to beat scrub tinker pickers who use bots+blink to push sidelines by blinking into trees and using March+rocket spam? shit is fucked up.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The lifesteal stacks so yeah unless you are a carry

Kinda relevant - reddit found a whole stack of Korean hypersexualized heroes
B1OGNOF.jpg

NSFW
http://imgur.com/a/lcgel
Kikiki oh Korea your art will be most welcomed.

edit: Wow it even has the TI3 dagon nice

Its not sexualized at all guys! That's just how the character designs are!

Hylian7

how to beat scrub tinker pickers who use bots+blink to push sidelines by blinking into trees and using March+rocket spam? shit is fucked up.

Heroes: Clinkz, Spirit Breaker, etc.

Items: Scythe, Euls, Basher, MKB, anything to disrupt his Rearms/TPs. Make stuff unsafe for him.

Also I wouldn't say that's a "scrub" way to play Tinker, it's pretty legit

Inversive

Heroes: Clinkz, Spirit Breaker, etc.

Items: Scythe, Euls, Basher, MKB, anything to disrupt his Rearms/TPs. Make stuff unsafe for him.

Also I wouldn't say that's a "scrub" way to play Tinker, it's pretty legit

hmm maybe not scrub, just seems like a very scummy playstyle.

Hylian7

Speaking of which how the hell do I carry with this guy? Every time I play him something bad happens without fail.

Generally offlane, but you can go in other lanes too. The idea is to get your Treads, Aquila, and Orchid up as soon as possible. You Orchid someone, Strafe, Searing Arrow them down. Death Pact for health, damage, and extra cash. For items beyond that it depends on the game situation.

Go 1-1-1, max Searing Arrows first, then Skeleton Walk, and Strafe last. Take ult at the usual 6/11/16. If you can, every time the ult is ready, go off to the jungle and om nom nom a Centaur or an Ursa (the red ones). If you can't find something, just eat a melee creep or something.

Hylian7

hmm maybe not scrub, just seems like a very scummy playstyle.

But that's kind of Tinker's game though, he splitpushes if you let him farm and you're dealing with pressure on all the lanes and one slippery bastard you can't catch because he's all over the map, and with more farm he can keep you permanently disabled or just blow you up himself.

Sheep, Rearm, repeat is soooooooooo goood.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Speaking of which how the hell do I carry with this guy? Every time I play him something bad happens without fail.

Your Ult is weirdly out of character which is why I think a lot of people forget it, but its also very good. Grab a creep from the jungle any time you're about to go for a gank or else any time the ult is up in general.

Sibylus

Banned
That's practically the only way to make the pick work, the hero is balanced around Rearm and BoTs. You have to get to him early, gank him with a hero with similarly global reach (Io, NP, AA, etc), and focus him in teamfights (force him to buy a BKB and hurt his own fight potential).

Mordeccai

anyone else having connection issues?

*raises hand* I just tried to que up another round and cant find the dota network. Steam was down for a bit it looked like. Appears to be functioning now though.

fast edit: On boot I now have no "Find Match" button on the play tab lol. VOLVO Y U DO THIS?

Generally offlane, but you can go in other lanes too. The idea is to get your Treads, Aquila, and Orchid up as soon as possible. You Orchid someone, Strafe, Searing Arrow them down. Death Pact for health, damage, and extra cash. For items beyond that it depends on the game situation.

Go 1-1-1, max Searing Arrows first, then Skeleton Walk, and Strafe last. Take ult at the usual 6/11/16. If you can, every time the ult is ready, go off to the jungle and om nom nom a Centaur or an Ursa (the red ones). If you can't find something, just eat a melee creep or something.

Your Ult is weirdly out of character which is why I think a lot of people forget it, but its also very good. Grab a creep from the jungle any time you're about to go for a gank or else any time the ult is up in general.
I don't really have a problem with building him or that the ult exists (I was used to going 0-3-2-1 by Lvl 6 though so taking a level of Strafe is surprising), it's more of a 'how do I get past my teammates being dumb and carry them with Clinkz' thing.

It's like he triggers some terrible reaction in people to play badly.

Hylian7

I don't really have a problem with building him or that the ult exists (I was used to going 0-3-2-1 by Lvl 6 though so taking a level of Strafe is surprising), it's more of a 'how do I get past my teammates being dumb and carry them with Clinkz' thing.

It's like he triggers some terrible reaction in people to play badly.

That early point in Strafe is what you are missing then. Basically that's what facilitates early kills. You use that, turn on Searing Arrows and right click to finish someone when you're in position with a teammate.

The troll summoners and large satyrs also have as much HP as the red hellbear. Pretty much know where the large camps are and eat the biggest creep there.

That early point in Strafe is what you are missing then. Basically that's what facilitates early kills. You use that, turn on Searing Arrows and right click to finish someone when you're in position with a teammate.
Fair enough. Thanks.

The troll summoners and large satyrs also have as much HP as the red hellbear. Pretty much know where the large camps are and eat the biggest creep there.
What about the centaur?

Played Dark Seer for the first time today. This guy is a lot of fun. Got one good ulti combo off, along with a couple of decent ones. We lost in the end but I got a hand in most of the kills we DID get.

Let me get one thing clear though: Ulti first, then vacuum, or vice versa? I've been going ulti first but I don't know how the reverse would go down.

I prefer to shell one of the opponent (and have on team mate if possible as well) then cast ult, vac, then finally cast speed on someone to chase down runners. If you mix shell in when you vac them together you will get extra damage. Also casting shell on the opponent may make them run off and miss the upcoming team fight since they don't want to damage their own team.

Kard8p3

Guys, help me get better with Nyx.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/289480734

I just feel like I didn't contribute that much this match(of course it doesn't help I was playing by myself, so I have no chemistry with my teammates, plus they did not speak english.)

His damage output just isn't that great IMO.

I didn't go dagon because I couldn't get it before 20 minutes, and so I decided to skip it.

I want to like Nyx, but at this point I feel like if I'm gonna play an invis hero I will just play Bounty instead.

Hylian7

Guys, help me get better with Nyx.

http://dotabuff.com/matches/289480734

I just feel like I didn't contribute that much this match(of course it doesn't help I was playing by myself, so I have no chemistry with my teammates, plus they did not speak english.)

His damage output just isn't that great IMO.

I didn't go dagon because I couldn't get it before 20 minutes, and so I decided to skip it.

I want to like Nyx, but at this point I feel like if I'm gonna play an invis hero I will just play Bounty instead.

http://hydra-images.cursecdn.com/dota2.gamepedia.com/1/16/Nyx_blink_02.mp3

Even in games where I do get the Dagon by 20 minutes, I still usually pick up a Blink, just becasue you can easily jump behind someone, Vendetta, and open up on them with the combo, with the Dagon to top it off if you have it. If you don't have Dagon, no big deal. You can still do all that burst quickly and your team should help you out.

Sibylus

Banned
lol

Does he even play SC2 anymore? Last I saw he was like trying to transition into being the host for tournaments.
Yeah, he's doing mainly casting for SC2 now (and playing Dungeons and Dragons :p).

And doesn't rule out moving on to other games, seems he's #esports for lyfe.

I would only get blademail on Spectre if I was having a very, very sad game.

And funny you guys mention Clinkz. I always feel like the games are hard when I play him, but my record says otherwise. Once you get an Orchid pretty much anyone caught alone is dead with no repercussion - you melt people in about 2-3 seconds.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Yeah, he's doing mainly casting for SC2 now (and playing Dungeons and Dragons :p).

And doesn't rule out moving on to other games, seems he's #esports for lyfe.

The big sc2 esports dude have to branch out for more work nowadays :/

Kard8p3

http://hydra-images.cursecdn.com/dota2.gamepedia.com/1/16/Nyx_blink_02.mp3

Even in games where I do get the Dagon by 20 minutes, I still usually pick up a Blink, just becasue you can easily jump behind someone, Vendetta, and open up on them with the combo, with the Dagon to top it off if you have it. If you don't have Dagon, no big deal. You can still do all that burst quickly and your team should help you out.

Thanks! I will definitely get that!

Also question, is it worth it to upgrade the dagon? Or no? I would assume so, but if not, I don't want to waste the money.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I thought the Dagon rule was you either get LVL1 or LVL5.

I have sometime upgraded it to a Dagon 2 when dealing with Anti Mage, they often refuse to build any HP items until they have a Yasha, and with his Strength Growth of 1, an extra 100 damage, even after spell shield, can be all it takes to ensure he actually dies even as he continues to level up farming the jungle. So 1250 to buy your team a 5 more minutes.

This is likely horrible logic.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Guy on reddit posted a site showing how many users were playing in each region. Valve patched out the ability to see this data within 2 hours.

Welp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom