• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nymerio

As toxic as the community can sometimes be, a couple days ago I got matched with players that were ridiculously polite. One guy had "Game is Hard!" and "We can still win this!" on his chat wheel, and then one guy makes a mistake and apologizes and four people instantly went: "it's ok", "don't worry", "everyone makes mistakes", "we all have bad days". Was kinda surreal, really.

As toxic as the community can sometimes be, a couple days ago I got matched with players that were ridiculously polite. One guy had "Game is Hard!" and "We can still win this!" on his chat wheel, and then one guy makes a mistake and apologizes and four people instantly went: "it's ok", "don't worry", "everyone makes mistakes", "we all have bad days". Was kinda surreal, really.
I have been getting matched with nicer people as well. Maybe the report system is working?

Nymerio

I have been getting matched with nicer people as well. Maybe the report system is working?

I wish. The next game I got pinged to death because I killed the pull camp as enchantress because our Drow wanted to pull it without stacking. Then got called a tard, and everyone got told to report me.

I think I'll start sending out friend request to the nicer players I meet. Should've probably done that long ago. I don't even care if we're loosing as long as people act like decent human beings.

Our team, and especially me, got smashed. One player just stood in the base the whole time, connecting and disconnecting, I was doing nothing other than giving the opposition free gold and xp :(

I just can't deal with Sniper or Viper, especially the former. That Ultimate just wrecks me every time, then he starts teleporting up to me and battering me before I even know what's happening :(

Its gonna be a struggle getting used to this. Never played a game where I have to learn to fear players who have levelled up to the point of having a clear advantage, gotta lose those gung-ho tendencies

edit: Sniper's voice is irritating as well. One day I'll kill him and bathe in his blood

shira

KT2r0FX.png

C'mon garrad/garran. Mama needs a new laptop

BT-cul2CcAALt41.jpg

El Gato the third

Hugstable

Banned
Is there an option to be able to bind the ping to a different key other than alt click? Like I have buttons on the side of the mouse that would be perfect for it, just anything other than alt. My keyboard has a shitty alt key.

Karakand

Good play up until the last part where instead of killing all 3 you died, your teammates killed Void and then Wisp and Bounty relocated back to safety. The force staff and steal was #bigplays, but if you would have hit Void with his own Chrono it might have been highlight worthy. :)

busted

Anteo

Good play up until the last part where instead of killing all 3 you died, your teammates killed Void and then Wisp and Bounty relocated back to safety. The force staff and steal was #bigplays, but if you would have hit Void with his own Chrono it might have been highlight worthy. :)

You know Void can move in anyone Chrono right? So why would he try to hit him with it.

If you can stun sniper he's a dead sniper

Guess I don't wanna be going one-on-one with Drow Ranger then, non of her abilities have Stun capability I think. I keep forgetting to use her first ability as well, even though it should be second nature as its cheap, potentially useful and has a negligible recharge time.

sixghost

Guess I don't wanna be going one-on-one with Drow Ranger then, non of her abilities have Stun capability I think. I keep forgetting to use her first ability as well, even though it should be second nature as its cheap, potentially useful and has a negligible recharge time.

Right-click on the ability icon, or press alt+the ability's hotkey to set abilities like Frost Arrow to auto cast.

Mordeccai

Thanks!

Gonna try a bot match with that now, see if I can get a few kills with it

I'd focus less on the kills and last hits for your first few real matches and just play a game of "stay alive as long as possible." My buddy has 200 hours logged and still flips his shit when he gets no last hits or kills.... when he plays a support or has a carry in his lane that should have higher priority.

Try playing support heros that aren't farm dependent to be really awesome. I like Jakiro for this, his spells are incredible if you can land them and he basically only needs mana boots and mekanism to do well in a match.

Definitely avoid hard carries like phantom assassin, anti mage, juggernaut, and the like, because if you're bad at last hitting and can't secure kills then you will wind up underpowering your team.

I'd focus less on the kills and last hits for your first few real matches and just play a game of "stay alive as long as possible." My buddy has 200 hours logged and still flips his shit when he gets no last hits or kills.... when he plays a support or has a carry in his lane that should have higher priority.

Try playing support heros that aren't farm dependent to be really awesome. I like Jakiro for this, his spells are incredible if you can land them and he basically only needs mana boots and mekanism to do well in a match.

Definitely avoid hard carries like phantom assassin, anti mage, juggernaut, and the like, because if you're bad at last hitting and can't secure kills then you will wind up underpowering your team.

I'm a bit of a natural at last hitting it seems, haven't got the item know-how to take advantage though :(

Did it come naturally to you guys to keep track of your Active items and abilities? I always forget about them until I'm dead and its too late, so am just playing it safe with passives. Annoying because I've seen first-hand how useful blink daggers and the like can be :p

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
You know Void can move in anyone Chrono right? So why would he try to hit him with it.

That's good information that I didn't know but it doesn't change the fact that he wove a bit of a tall tale in his recounting of the events.

You'll feel it eventually.

What's that, like half of all items? That must be terribly limiting.

Yeah. I get overwhelmed and forget about even the default things like healing salves and tangos. I'm determined to get good, gonna just play bot matches until I'm more comfortable

Any general tips for winning a fight against a ranged hero when you're using a melee hero? Other than blink daggers and movement-related abilities/items, how do you get close enough to stand a chance?

This game reminds me how horrible it is to play against Riki in public games where people neglect to buy detection.

Well that's not really the case this game though, the invis on Riki was negligible compared to the high damage output and being paired up with Wisp.
and Fnatic sucking.

Are teams really that scared of both Bulldog's NP and LD that they'd rather give them Wisp? Serious question, as they seem to be invincible when having Wisp.

shira

Well that's not really the case this game though, the invis on Riki was negligible compared to the high damage output and being paired up with Wisp.
and Fnatic sucking.

Are teams really that scared of both Bulldog's NP and LD that they'd rather give them Wisp? Serious question, as they seem to be invincible when having Wisp.

It's pick your poison with Alliance. You can't outdraft them, so you can try to outplay them.

Randdalf

and Fnatic sucking.

I mean in terms of general stompiness, I always seem to end up losing when playing against either Riki or Sniper.

I mean in terms of general stompiness, I always seem to end up losing when playing against either Riki or Sniper.

Well the way to beat both is by good teamwork(getting vision in Riki's and SB's case, and ganking in Sniper's case) and that is not seen very often in pub games. I mostly get upset when a Riki or SB kick our asses because there's nothing I could do about it(lots of feeding by teammates who don't seem to understand how dangerous they are when you just wander around with no vision). So even when you know how to counter these types of heroes, your teammates need to have some level of competence.

Quesa

That's likely because Riki and Sniper are characters that punish a lack of team coordination, aggressiveness, and proper warding/detection, which you're going to see a lot of in pubs. Besides hero counters, teamwork beats those dudes every time. Those picks are relatively easy to punish, but maybe not with randoms.

Edit: Ha! Beaten to it.

KT2r0FX.png

C'mon garrad/garran. Mama needs a new laptop

BT-cul2CcAALt41.jpg

El Gato the third

My understanding is that when the pokeballs come back, so will the garrad's. They said at TI3 that that stuff will be back in stock in October or so. Unless plans have changed, it's just a matter of time. Which is why it suprises me that prices for this stuff are so high. It's inevitable that the lockless stuff will be in a fair abundance in a matter of weeks...and yet here we are watching people pay literally hundreds for some of those items. idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom