• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT| To Hell and Back and Back to Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.D

So, I decided that I want to play Meepo...

What do I need to know? ;p
I guess the most important thing is to get actual experience playing him and how to micro all the different characters, but aside from that? as far as items go, I understand that Blink, Heart and Aghanim's Scepter are the most common ones? do people often get a Mek on Meepo as well?

I know about the Poof + Blink combo and have managed pull it off, but no in an actual game..

What do you do when you get the first Meepo? Do you just send him to jungle while you are still in lane > send him home when he's low on health > poof back to you > back to jungle?

Procarbine

Forever Platinum

I guess the most important thing is to get actual experience playing him and how to micro all the different characters, but aside from that? as far as items go, I understand that Blink, Heart and Aghanim's Scepter are the most common ones? do people often get a Mek on Meepo as well?

I know about the Poof + Blink combo and have managed pull it off, but no in an actual game..

What do you do when you get the first Meepo? Do you just send him to jungle while you are still in lane > send him home when he's low on health > poof back to you > back to jungle?

You're going to fail and eventually give up.

shira

practice blink poofing with all 5.
practice flash jungling while laning

download the meepo scripts

But yeah - good luck - you need that kind of extra-dimensional multitasking to kill other humans.

ksan

Control groups: 1. main 2. rest 3. all
Turn on smart cast when playing meepo, just practice a couple of bot games, focusing on learning how to blink poof as said
Then just practice and be prepared to lose a lot of games, boxing is especially important as it will be the way you control the low hp meepos

But he really isn't that hard anymore since they added smart casting, the only problem is that you can get fucked easier than any other carry if you get ganked a lot, get behind, and your team has zero map control

sixghost

Mek and Vlads are bad items on Meepo. In most games your build should be tranquils->poor man's shield->scepter->blink->eye of skadi->ethereal blade. You can substitute the skadi for a sheep stick if you are up against a good split pusher with an escape like PL or antimage, or someone like enigma or magnus that will lock down all your Meepos after you blink in. A heart is overkill and really doesn't give you that much more HP than a skadi, and the skadi gives you extra attack speed and armor from the agility.

After you get level 6, send the second meepo into the jungle. Clear the easy camp, stack the hard camp at :53. When the hard camp has 3 or 4 stacks, bring both Meepos to clear the hard camp with poof (make sure they both poof in range of the camp so you get the full damage). You really shouldn't need to send the jungle meepo back to fountain since you'll have tranquils.

Once you have 2 Meepos, you're actually fairly strong in lane. Net with the lane meepo, poof the 2nd meepo to 1 while he walks up to the enemy, then poof the first meepo and net with the 2nd meepo. You'll have them slowed a bit with geostrike (and an orb of venom if you buy it), so you have a decent chance of getting the kill.

Max poof and put points into net and geostrike equally when that's done. Smoke into rosh the first chance you get once you're 16 with aghs. Break your 4 secondary meepos into groups of 2 and clear the jungle camps two at a time while using your primary meepo to be with your team if necessary.

Get used to using hotkeys. Put primary Meepo on 1, all other meepos on 2, all meepos on 3. If you want to get fancy, put groups of 2 meepos on 4 and 5 so you can easily micro them in the jungle. Turn on quick cast or auto cast, whatever it's called, if you can't get the poof tabbing down. There's nothing worse than poofing out of a shitty spot then realizing you misclicked and left one behind.

Meepo is fantastic at split pushing, even without BoTs. You can push other lanes with poof while keeping your primary meepo near your team in case a fight breaks out. Just ask if you have other questions. It takes a lot of games before you have any idea what your doing, and even more before you feel comfortable.

Also, go mid with him. The solo exp really gives you the best chance to snowball around 25 or 30 minutes and he's honestly not that bad unless you're up against one of the top tier mids like Qop. Playing him as the farming hero in a trilane isn't bad either.

ksan

i prefer stout -> tranq -> sobi -> agha (ogre axe first) -> blink -> vlads (disassemble tranqs) -> BoT -> heart -> eb (or whatever)

and while meka sucks on meepo, vlads is pretty damn good

and meepo is 100x more fun with travels

sixghost

i prefer stout -> tranq -> sobi -> agha (ogre axe first) -> blink -> vlads (disassemble tranqs) -> BoT -> heart -> eb (or whatever)

and while meka sucks on meepo, vlads is pretty damn good
That build seems good if you want to split push. Once I get blink I just like to fight, since unless I've died 3 or 4 times, you're usually the strongest person in the game once you have scepter, blink and treads. Ideally I'll have aegis at that point too, which makes meepo a fucking terror in team fights. If we can win a big teamfight at that point, you can really start to snowball and stack skadis until you're walking around with 5 meepos at 2900 hp. I don't really care for heart on meepo anymore since you're not actually getting that much more health on the secondary meepos, and your are giving up such a huge amount of right click damage, which you really need later on to stand up to the other carry.

ksan

yeah, i see what you're saying, i just like yolo builds and usually go for pick offs with bots then go team fight with an advantage
so im def gonna try skadi next time!

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I never build heart on Meepo, instead I just get 3 reavers. I don't see Meepo as a main carry when playing him, more like a huge teamfight annoyance, which makes the enemies focus me more often than not.
Going for high HP build allows me to safely, TP/poof out while still dishing out lots of damage while the main carry in my team wrecks their shit.

sixghost

I never build heart on Meepo, instead I just get 3 reavers. I don't see Meepo as a main carry when playing him, more like a huge teamfight annoyance, which makes the enemies focus me more often than not.
Going for high HP build allows me to safely, TP/poof out while still dishing out lots of damage while the main carry in my team wrecks their shit.

I usually find it's pretty hard for anyone on the team but Meepo to get too big. He's like a vacuum that sucks up all the gold and exp from the rest of the team.

Razzer

No, because of how the dota community are in general. Did you see how he responded to the person asking for help?

It was a joke (people generally know each other well in here) and there are tons of other posts giving plenty of great friendly advice. I'd say this was a great show by the DOTA GAF community actually.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I played a Meepo bot game just so I could understand how hard it is. It's hard.

Every now and then I play a match with a good Meepo though, it's my absolute favorite thing to watch.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Pro's just being a realist (maybe too real (return of real talk??)). Many players who are better than you have trouble playing Meepo well. Becoming a good Meepo player is like DOTA 2's endgame in terms of difficulty.

fiore

Banned
Pro's just being a realist (maybe too real (return of real talk??)). Many players who are better than you have trouble playing Meepo well. Becoming a good Meepo player is like DOTA 2's endgame in terms of difficulty.

Well, that's good to know. just thought what he said went a bit too far.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I have only played Meepo in practice games, and everytime it has resulted in me rage quitting at about 15 minutes.

shira

No, because of how the dota community are in general. Did you see how he responded to the person asking for help?

crystal_maiden_by_ivayasan-d6mkhmk.jpg

Reddit is so cruel.

Haly

It overs too much of the courier but I don't think it's a bad concept. It's more unique than generic sparkly particle effects like so many of the other chests.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Well, that's good to know. just thought what he said went a bit too far.

If a guy on the internet making a joke is too far, then I have no idea how you even manage to stay on anything internet related.

You make one baseless assumption about the community convenietly ignoring all the other helpful posts picking the one (obvious) joke post.

Haly

Let's all calm down. No one can pretend the broader DOTA 2 community isn't a cesspit of scumbags and Pro's post might've been too evocative of that kind of vitriol for a newcomer to see it as anything other than a put down when it was just cynical humor.

I played a Meepo bot game just so I could understand how hard it is. It's hard.

Every now and then I play a match with a good Meepo though, it's my absolute favorite thing to watch.

Played a match with a decent Meepo and a really good invoker the other day. Was the most visual game I've seen. The invoker was rotating spells like crazy and at one point said he was unsure how he even pulled something off.

Are there any decent guides or button set-ups for multi-unit control in Dota 2 that I should check out. I really like heroes like Visage, Enchantress and Chen but I am awful at juggling the multiple units to grab and use a specific ability, especially when the shit is hitting the fan. I really have taken a liking to Visage, his familiars are great for crowd control in lanes if there's no carry to take the farm in a lane and it needs pushing back. He's great for pushing towers. I like his slow in run downs and his full-charge soul assumption can just melt the right target. But pulling off those timely familiar stuns in the middle of a heated fight is my biggest weakness with him right now.

The hardest part to Meepo are levels 1-6. Basically you have horrible damage for last hits and a huge target on your head. I normally play this phase extremely safe, even if I'm not able to last hit very well, plus I can make it up after 6.

A lot of people start with Poof or the Net, but I like to start with Geostrike to help with last hitting and then pick up Poof. Level 1 net is really mostly useful when you need to run and if you watch your positioning you shouldn't be getting caught out of position anyway.

Also, like others have said, main Meepo is 1, all clones 2, and all Meepos 3. Turn on smart casting. Your life will be much easier.

Risible

Ok, I need Expert-Dota-Gaf's help. Could someone watch the first 8 minutes of a game and explain something to me? Match ID 313750514.

I played as Undying and got stuck with mid. I was laning against a Faceless Void.

We finally kill each other simultaneously at the 8:35 mark. At that point he is 11 and I'm 8. I don't understand how he has 3 levels on me. He has more last hits than me, but one less deny. The only time I leave is to grab the rune twice, and to use tangos.

What am I doing wrong? How could he get so many more levels than me in that time frame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom