• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Ill post something dota related

How the fuck do I play ember spirit?I think my biggest problem is laning and farming.

thinking.gif

Learning to control creep aggro is paramount to playing any melee hero without getting totally fucked in lane(although even with it, it happens).

Talking about ember mid from what I've played I feel like level 1 to 3(common mistake I feel like is playing too scared, ember is fairly strong at those levels vs most, so trying to be aggressive can pay off) is a really important time where your play can either mean a decent to easy lane or laning hell.

Also remember ember can clear stacks well when he hits level 6 so that's always a decent backup.

Acinixys

Some guy from India just called me to inform me that he is from Microsoft, and that my computer is infected with "a very bad virus" that only he can fix by getting me to install a team viewer

Microsoft has really gone straight down the shitter since Steve Jobs died. He was the only one keeping them on the straight and narrow

Some guy from India just called me to inform me that he is from Microsoft, and that my computer is infected with "a very bad virus" that only he can fix by getting me to install a team viewer

Microsoft has really gone straight down the shitter since Steve Jobs died. He was the only one keeping them on the straight and narrow

microsoft is done
Can't wait for them going third party

Kade

I played Earth Spirit for the second time ever last night and did some really clutch shit. Might try to learn him some more.

my twitch channel is really picking up, so ill try to remember you guys when im making kaceytron money.

i know you post it a lot but link the channel so I can remember to subscribe when I get home

I need something to watch when Team 2k Shitters aka POTAstack aka Et Tu, Twobear? aka homostack aka "thank god they don't talk about kpop during actual games" is busy not queuing up for games and feeding

i know you post it a lot but link the channel so I can remember to subscribe when I get home

I need something to watch when Team 2k Shitters aka POTAstack aka Et Tu, Twobear? aka homostack aka "thank god they don't talk about kpop during actual games" is busy not queuing up for games and feeding

ive retired from dota, climbing the ladder to 8k in mario kart 8.

Kade can attest to my powers. Managed to adopt a kid already.

ag-my001

Actual game question: yesterday (or the day before), I played a bot game with someone picking Treant Protector. I noticed a new skill where he could pick a tree and basically turn it into a permanent ward. Neat, I think, so I check it out online. It's also supposed to activate with overgrowth, which I could see being involved in some mid lane team fight/chase shenanigans. Today I go to try it out, and it's not there. It's still on the website, but not in game. I don't play that much or keep up with patch notes, but is it normal to add and then remove skills over the course is two days?

TUSR

Banned
Actual game question: yesterday (or the day before), I played a bot game with someone picking Treant Protector. I noticed a new skill where he could pick a tree and basically turn it into a permanent ward. Neat, I think, so I check it out online. It's also supposed to activate with overgrowth, which I could see being involved in some mid lane team fight/chase shenanigans. Today I go to try it out, and it's not there. It's still on the website, but not in game. I don't play that much or keep up with patch notes, but is it normal to add and then remove skills over the course is two days?

You need Aghanim's Scepter (4200g item) to gain access to the skill "Eyes In The Forest."

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Treant_Protector

UrK9RGA.png

aeolist

Banned
Okay, that makes sense. When I play him I usually just grab utility items like Arcane boots, mech, vlad, and don't bother with scepter. Just thought it was odd that the icon didn't exist.

a few different heroes have this now

see: lifestealer, tusk, nyx, morphling, etc

Hylian7

yeah people have decided that the shitty parts of fire emblem should be the most important

awakening was ass
chaos-four.gif
/ 10

Honestly, while I didn't care for the waifu/pandering bits of Awakening, my main issues with it came with the gameplay. Casual mode was a stupid idea and not Fire Emblem at all, either play correctly or go home. Phoneix Mode in Fates is even worse. On top of that, there were a lot of elements missing from the game that really should have been there, like fog of war, more objectives other than just "Rout" and "Defeat Boss". The game was too easy to grind your way out of since the world map was open. Conquest sounds like it does better in this regard, since it isn't open. I liked having the challenge maps for DLC characters, Streetpass battles, especially the ones where the person put an extremely strong team there, but then when you beat it you just get rewarded with more and more characters, which if you weren't playing casual mode, you would pretty much never get to a point where you don't have enough characters to go on.

Honestly, while I didn't care for the waifu/pandering bits of Awakening, my main issues with it came with the gameplay. Casual mode was a stupid idea and not Fire Emblem at all, either play correctly or go home. Phoneix Mode in Fates is even worse. On top of that, there were a lot of elements missing from the game that really should have been there, like fog of war, more objectives other than just "Rout" and "Defeat Boss". The game was too easy to grind your way out of since the world map was open. Conquest sounds like it does better in this regard, since it isn't open. I liked having the challenge maps for DLC characters, Streetpass battles, especially the ones where the person put an extremely strong team there, but then when you beat it you just get rewarded with more and more characters, which if you weren't playing casual mode, you would pretty much never get to a point where you don't have enough characters to go on.

i dunno about phoenix, but casual mode is pretty much one of the reasons the it is the best selling title. Completely optional, and classic is still there.

You have this mentality of doing the "correct" way that it is pretty shit tbh. You also tend to show that mentality here on occasions.

Awakening suffered of being utterly unbalanced with free roaming, children being op, shit objectives and lack of maps. Radiant Dawn is still the best one in the sheer number of different maps and objectives. Elincia's Gambit is GOAT.

The lack of defense maps just made the game full offensive and the pair up was too imbalanced because of this.

Russ T

Banned
lol one of those "you're playing it wrong" arguments huh

if casual mode means other people can enjoy it it's fine get over it you big baby

Hylian7

i dunno about phoenix, but casual mode is pretty much one of the reasons the it is the best selling title. Completely optional, and classic is still there.

You have this mentality of doing the "correct" way that it is pretty shit tbh. You also tend to show that mentality here on occasions.

Awakening suffered of being utterly unbalanced with free roaming, children being op, shit objectives and lack of maps. Radiant Dawn is still the best one in the sheer number of different maps and objectives. Elincia's Gambit is GOAT.

The lack of defense maps just made the game full offensive and the pair up was too imbalanced because of this.

I still need to play Radiant Dawn, I never did.

The thing is, playing it in casual mode takes away one of the defining characteristics of Fire Emblem. It would be like playing Super Mario Bros. without the jumping. People are getting the wrong experience and should play it how it's intended to be played.

Getting angry over casual mode is like getting angry that a game has an easy mode, why is it a problem that some people want to play the game differently? People that claim casual mode "is the way the game is supposed to be played" are a different story.

You're getting the experience you want, others get the experience they want, everyone's happy(or at least they should be). You're in no position to tell others how they should be playing games.

Hylian7

Getting angry over casual mode is like getting angry that a game has an easy mode, why is it a problem that some people want to play the game differently? People that claim casual mode "is the way the game is supposed to be played" are a different story.

It's not the same at all. A typical "easy mode" in a game is usually just an easier variant of the game, for instance in older FE titles it might be something like the enemies are weaker or something like that. It doesn't take out of the game's core mechanics.

Awakening was made with casual in mind, so it is already one way to be played.

Casual is god's grace on harder modes, no one has the time to waste on resets on lunatic.

Permadeath has NEVER been an attractive quality to many people. One of the reasons Awakening sold a lot it is because it is considerably easier on normal compared to previous entries, Radiant Dawn's normal was pretty hard since it was the hard mode on the japanese version (US hard was JP lunatic), was released when there weren't many 3DS games, tight presentation, has infinite grinning, and due to the popularity of dating sim elements on other games like Mass Effect, Skyrim, etc., supports were also well received.

Considerably, games like FE7/8/9 sold a lot less because they didn't have any of these. Whatever you think it is the "way to be played", it doesn't exist anymore except on those old games.

Russ T

Banned
it is literally the same

casual mode in fire emblem is the easy mode of fire emblem

it is a variant in that the variant is there's no permadeath

get over it

you're being an elitist buttwad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom