• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

Reknoc

This game gives me pretty big Terranigma-vibes somehow.

Yes. The game has been making me think of quintet games a lot (more than usual). The world rebuilding gives that similar vibe to soul blazer and terranigma. I also find that when you go back to the island later gives me a pretty similar feeling to those games.

goldenpp72

You trying to give it back? Go to his house (The one at the top right).

No I'm about 30 hours in and need it. The evil uncle sold it to some asshole that can't stay in one place.

Also I guess I'll ask now, other fragments I need are hinted to be in a whirl pool and one is gaurded, and another is in a hidden passage in a temple. I'm seriously lost in all directions right after I got a new means of transport, frustrating. Any help is appreciated.

Kinsei

Banned
No I'm about 30 hours in and need it. The evil uncle sold it to some asshole that can't stay in one place.

Also I guess I'll ask now, other fragments I need are hinted to be in a whirl pool and one is gaurded, and another is in a hidden passage in a temple. I'm seriously lost in all directions right after I got a new means of transport, frustrating. Any help is appreciated.

The one in the temple:
Go back to the temple in the desert in the past and talk to the queen.

goldenpp72

Got that one now so thanks, and it opened a new area so hopefully by the time i finish that someone else here could answer the other stuff lol.

Got that one now so thanks, and it opened a new area so hopefully by the time i finish that someone else here could answer the other stuff lol.

Different modes of transport, use them. You need the Flying Carpet to get to the rich guy's main mansion (try looking for a river you couldn't cross earlier)
at L'Arca
, and you need the Ship to revisit the whirlpool.
Same place it is at in the Past, just above the waves this time.

Slaythe

I am kinda losing interest so I'm gonna ask or I'm gonna give up the game.

Everybody and everything tells me to go to Hubble for the festival.

Once I'm there, nothing is ready still. I don't know what the trigger is.

The traveler's tablets definitely make getting monster hearts a lot easier. I would recommend anyone trying to master all the monster classes to use traveler tablet dungeons that spawn heart dropping monsters to get hearts.

Master 7 basic monster classes. Don't have enough hearts of the other 7, so back to mastering the advanced human classes.

I am sure there are some people rolling your eyes at how much I am grinding jobs.

goldenpp72

So I just got to this brutal black dragon boss thing and I guess I'll ask another couple questions before bed. I'm about 30 hours in and level 23, what's the best place to grind? Also, I set marribelle to be an attack mage but her hp is so bad she dies in one or two hits.. tips?

First DQ game so still learning, lol.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I have a few tablet related questions...

I just reached the town
where everyone is turned into animals.
I unlocked the download bar and also received some seeds that are supposed to help me recruit monsters. However, I haven't recruited anyone yet after many battles. Am I supposed to do something specific to get monsters to join me? Or are only certain monsters recruitable under certain circumstances?

Is it possible to tell which tablets you have downloaded from the download bar? The process is slow because of the menu lag/delay + the need to save after every single tablet retrieval. It's a really cumbersome process that drags on and on and on.

There's a lot going on with Haven. Different traits of visitors that I have downloaded and found, my town is growing, I can "find tablets" (not sure how yet), and I've read that you can "evolve" your town? Is there a good primer on this system? It doesn't seem explained very well in game.

Arkeband

Banned
I forgot how long it takes to get
a fourth party member after you drop back down to 3.

edit: spoilered after seeing the carnage below

rpmurphy

When you say 'find', are they optional or do they join through the main plot?
They are part of the main plot.

So I'm pretty lost again. I'm hunting down some guy for a sizzle stone and he is never anywhere. The maid said try his primo pallaso or something and i feel relentlessly stuck. The guides I found all use different names too so that didn't help.
You have to visit his other homes first in Grondal and El Cicle, then he'll show up at his palazza.

Yeah once you get 12+ hrs in the scripting gets a bit loose. Definitely some plot steps that require you to "talk to everyone in town" to push the story forward, despite anything your partychat has to say. All I can do is chalk it up to QA fatigue. The game is still ridiculously big.

asagami_

Banned
Hello people, I will join to this OT now I have bought this game. It's my first Dragon Quest! I don't know if is thanks to Dragon Ball Super influence, but I am so invested in Toriyama art and I really love how his art shines in this game.

Almost an hour, without an real battle, but I like the sense of discovery and adventure. Someway this remind me a lot to One Piece .

Ah, I am from Mexico and the game is in spanish. I think the localization is the same from Spain (or highly resembling to it), so it's a nice change of language about how I play the games. Kudos to Nintendo.

Aeana

I wish they updated the item management. Should have just gotten rid of character inventory and have everything in the bag.
That would completely change the game balance. Although the bag did too; in order to preserve the resource ablation mechanic they should have made it a bank system where you actually have to visit to deposit/retrieve items.

redcrayon

I quite like the DQ games where you have a wagon- in the field, you have access to the bag, all characters and their support spells, and in a dungeon only the party and what they are carrying.

The bag does make it nice and simple though. Some of the dungeons in VII are quite long and with several places to buy equipment and find loot like Alltrades Abbey, a party-only system would be much tougher there when you already don't have any healing spells.

OK, so I've gotten to the town where all the people have been turned into animals and my party is telling me to find someone who can talk to animals. I know the woodcutter on the home island can do so, and I've gone to talk to him, but nothing happens when I do so. So I can't figure out what I need to do to trigger the next story event. What am I missing?

redcrayon

OK, so I've gotten to the town where all the people have been turned into animals and my party is telling me to find someone who can talk to animals. I know the woodcutter on the home island can do so, and I've gone to talk to him, but nothing happens when I do so. So I can't figure out what I need to do to trigger the next story event. What am I missing?
Did you talk to the
dog chained up in the back-right house?

JimPanzer

I wish they updated the item management. Should have just gotten rid of character inventory and have everything in the bag.

It wouldn't be so bad if the menus weren't so damn clunky and unresponsive. I'm 35 hours in and really love the game, definitely in my top 3 of games I played this year, but the menus are the worst. I hope for DQXI they think of a way to have both, nostalgic and functional menus.

magnetic

Yeah once you get 12+ hrs in the scripting gets a bit loose. Definitely some plot steps that require you to "talk to everyone in town" to push the story forward, despite anything your partychat has to say. All I can do is chalk it up to QA fatigue. The game is still ridiculously big.

Yeah, the party chat + the story so far + recent developments must be quite the intricate web of triggers. And adding to that the overall length of the game, the large amount of NPCs and story items - no wonder that occasionally the system misses something.

I definitely noticed some instances where apparently I missed talking to an NPC, or sometimes the party chat would give me conflicting information depending on where I currently was (for instance, telling me to go to the river, and when I went there nothing happened, because I didn't trigger something in town).

It wouldn't be so bad if the menus weren't so damn clunky and unresponsive. I'm 35 hours in and really love the game, definitely in my top 3 of games I played this year, but the menus are the worst. I hope for DQXI they think of a way to have both, nostalgic and functional menus.

The lag in the menus feels like when you use a smartphone that is way too weak for the OS. Going from the DS ports to VII feels like when my iPod Touch "upgraded" from ios5 to ios6 and got sluggish as hell.

I'm seriously considering putting a custom firmware on my 3DS since according to Aeana that can fix the lag - but on the other hand I'm not really in the mood to hack my system just to get responsive UI.

What are banks for?
Also
yes or no, are all of the worlds connected to in the Past? Cause they're totally ok with tourists when they're the sole fuckin island!

JimPanzer

I'm seriously considering putting a custom firmware on my 3DS since according to Aeana that can fix the lag - but on the other hand I'm not really in the mood to hack my system just to get responsive UI.

It can? I'm running a CFW. Is there a patch for that?

Arkeband

Banned
Has Nintendo ever released a performance patch or N3DS compatibility update before?

I feel like the only 3DS game that ever got any love was Smash Bros and that was just balance and content updates.

MoonFrog

So, advanced class abilities aren't available when you change to another advanced class or basic class. Are they available when you are in a third tier class?

I like that there is some tied-to-class to discourage just grinding everything for complete ability access and the ability bloat from the basic classes gets to me, but it does sort of get in the way of my idea of having, say, Merwyn be Paladin/Sage with Multiheal and all. Is that why people are talking about the monster classes? Does the Heal Slime version of the spell stick?

Oh, looking at it I see Godhand got Multiheal in DWVII. Guess just shoot for Godhand in his case then, with Mage skills on the side as I've already done that :p.

But still curious!

Top Bottom