• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

NolbertoS

Actually, no. It looked like a genie, I think.

I had to backtrack to sleep at an inn but the dungeon is still going.

Now you got me scared. :(

That's where I hit the wall in DQVII a couple of days ago. There are two bosses u have to fight in that land, and one of them is genie and other is
Cumulus Vex (cloud boss)
. I got through it by mastering intermediate classss, which I recommend you best master, particularly for the 2nd boss

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Finally got around to finishing the main storyline. Really enjoyed the game overall. I had some minor annoyances like some backtracking, but nothing that really impeded my enjoyment. I really liked the central conceit of going to the past, solving a problem, then going to the future to see what happened to that land. Lots of great characters, and great monster names/designs/animations. I do wish I could have (incredibly minor spoiler in regards to party members)
used all five party members against the final boss, just seemed kind of mean to leave one person behind after everyone did so much
, but I understand why that was the case. I also really love games where after you beat the final boss you get to
go around and talk to a lot of the people you met throughout the game. I always smile when I get to do that.
Just very satisfying and fun to play.

I don't know how I would rank this overall, but it's definitely a great experience. Looking forward to 8, which I also haven't played. Really grateful to everyone involved for finally bringing this remake over to us. Now to do the post-game content to fill the void I always feel when I finish one of these :)

I don't understand his character design..His personality is a mismatch!

looks too much like a villain than a prince...

4f8bdd86.png

That's a general gripe I have with Toriyama's artstyle. I always wondered why everyone in Dragon Ball looked so angry.

Cloudy monster defeated!

I lost the first round but 20min of grinding solved the problem. I just needed some nice abilities to cause more damage.

With my team at their best jobs it wouldn't be a problem, I really missed all the stat spells!

Just beat Alltrades after spending a week or so trudging through it. It was a memorable scenario for sure, but it was pretty cruel. I am excited to finally be able to use jobs but I feel kinda beaten after all that. Can't wait to dig into this job system.

gblues

Banned
The trick to
Cumulus Vex
is
kill the adds ASAP when they get summoned. Otherwise they quickly overwhelm you with AoE attacks.

The trick to
Cumulus Vex
is
kill the adds ASAP when they get summoned. Otherwise they quickly overwhelm you with AoE attacks.

The only problem I had with him was when Vex himself would spam his AoE attack.
The fight can be ridiculously hard or very simple depending on what he chooses to do.

LordKano

I'm surely not the only one who almost dropped tears when, after the credits
they found the Kiefer's tablette from the past
?

Please tell me I'm not the only one.

redcrayon

?

I thought that was really sweet,
I actually think it's quite good that after Kiefer leaves you don't interact with him again, it means actions have consequences rather than being able to drop in for a visit whenever you like. The tablet rounded the game off nicely though as a reference to their friendship being the driving force at the start.

Anoxida

Been waiting to play this ever since it was announced for Japan. Never thought I would get to play it so it kills me that DQ7 left me disappointed. It's a solid game but it never reaches the same highs as VIII and V. Only one vignette really hit home with me.
the one with the woman who became a nun, got me almost teary eyed
. Eh I guess the characters just didn't connect with me.

One thing that worked out terrible was removing the random encounters. I consider designing a game around random encounters is a horrible decision but this game was clearly not designed to have visible enemies. First time I would ever prefer having RE. They really should've opened up the dungeons a bit while they were doing the remake so visible enemies made more sense. Does the 3ds remake of VIII suffer from the same problem?

Oregano

Was posted in other threads but this game only sold 35k in the US. That's barely more than DQ Heroes.

You failed us!

I'm in the UK so we failed worse ;_;

Heropon

Was posted in other threads but this game only sold 35k in the US. That's barely more than DQ Heroes.

You failed us!

I'm in the UK so we failed worse ;_;

The US and the UK dragging down the reputation of the "West" again. They should release Dragon Quest in French, Italian and Spanish only at this point. :p

LordKano

By the way, what am I supposed to do with the
remaining fragment after I've finished the game ? Is there a post-game dungeon or something like that ?

In the Buccanham fragment,
what do I do at the top of the tower with the black flame? It's like the one in the Emberdale quest so I go back there to get something?

Edit:
King told me to talk to the scholar about extinguishing the flame, and the scholar said to get dew from the rainbow cove in a small island in the centre of the world. Off I go then.

Niraj

?

I liked that, nice way to end things.

I thought that was really sweet,
I actually think it's quite good that after Kiefer leaves you don't interact with him again, it means actions have consequences rather than being able to drop in for a visit whenever you like. The tablet rounded the game off nicely though as a reference to their friendship being the driving force at the start.

Definitely. For those that do want a little more though, there is a tablet you can get from the download bar that I thought was a nice addition.

By the way, what am I supposed to do with the
remaining fragment after I've finished the game ? Is there a post-game dungeon or something like that ?

The basement in the shrine of mysteries

kromeo

Wish there was an option to have everything you pick up go straight into the bag, that's annoyed me in pretty much every game in the series

Raw64life

The 3D Wind Spirit Temple

guess they couldn't make enemies on screen work with it so they just do random encounters for it :\

Oregano

The 3D Wind Spirit Temple

guess they couldn't make enemies on screen work with it so they just do random encounters for it :\

Yeah I did that bit earlier. I liked the design of the dungeon though.

I'm at the end of the game now but I haven't nearly mastered enough jobs!

Sucks it didn't sell well. 8 didn't depend on sales did it? I'm starving to play it too.

Must say there have been times I've trudged in this game but I always come back. The vignettes of each piece are great but also utterly exhausting. Feel like I can only hop in for 2-4 hours at most. Hopefully the other chars and then story pay off.

Right now I just finished the area where
the guy was trying to convince them to chop down the Ygg tree
. Got about 4-5 vocations max on all 3 chars without any special grinding.

Niraj

This reminds me I've taken a shitload of screens during the final boss and the epilogue because, damn, this game has really nice visuals.

I'd link those without the img tags, just out of courtesy. Spoiler tag for images doesn't work for mobile.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
20 hours - got me some jobs

Went with sailor, mage and martial artist

Not sure why I went with sailor for avatar (robo), considered warrior (bye mp) and dancer. Sailor seemed like a decent all round job. Mage seemed like a natural choice for Maribel, and Ruff eh.. I guess he could've been a dancer, dunno.

Then again I haven't read up on what skills I'll get or anything so ... we'll see lol

Niraj

Crap, I didn't know. I hope I didn't spoil anybody by mistake. It's fixed.

I wouldn't feel too bad, you couldn't have known. Agree with your post too, I had to take one of this shot: https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/WVW69jtxFmk0CyTBQh (ending shot for anyone not following the conversation)

20 hours - got me some jobs

Went with sailor, mage and martial artist

Not sure why I went with sailor for avatar (robo), considered warrior (bye mp) and dancer. Sailor seemed like a decent all round job. Mage seemed like a natural choice for Maribel, and Ruff eh.. I guess he could've been a dancer, dunno.

Then again I haven't read up on what skills I'll get or anything so ... we'll see lol

Even if you end up regretting one of your choices (not saying you will :p), you level up the base classes super fast, so it's pretty painless to go for something else.

What's up with
Aisha and the
king of Estard? They just interacted in a weird way.

Did I miss something or more will be revealed later?

Also I'm 100% lost lol. I have unlocked all the islands but now I don't know what to do or where to go.

Linkura

What's up with
Aisha and the

Also I'm 100% lost lol. I have unlocked all the islands but now I don't know what to do or where to go.

Aishe is from the Roamer tribe in the present. Keifer joined the Roamer tribe in the past. Is that enough for you to make a conclusion?

Niraj

What's up with
Aisha and the

Probably :p

Are you done with Buccanham? If so, I believe at this point
you need to go to the pool of piety, which you may have come across already
. If you need more help,
east of Frobisher, the town with the robot problem
. Hope I'm not mixing this up with another part.

Tohsaka

The DQ7 manga handled this perfectly and gave him more character depth.

I don't doubt that, it just made me lose all respect for him, as far as the game goes.
He just decides to abandon his kingdom and two friends because of some hot tragic girl who caught his fancy.

Arkeband

Banned
Does "memories of a forgotten friend" end after the typical fade to black banquet message? The tablet's boss is still listed as ??????? even though I did fight a boss at one point.

Zee-Row

Banned
I'm at that desert town and I'm supposed to go to that river area but I don't know what to do. I already buried everyone at the abandoned castle.

Niraj

I'm at that desert town and I'm supposed to go to that river area but I don't know what to do. I already buried everyone at the abandoned castle.

Did you
get the seal of the sands from the town elder? If you have, use that to talk to the townspeople to figure out what you need to do

If you've already done that and are confused:
dig site in the present

wow, that's hyper depressing. Never getting X. :(

I never really expected that considering what it is. Was there any realistic expectation of us getting that? I am curious about DQ XI for 3DS though.

wow, that's hyper depressing. Never getting X. :(

If it means anything, it's apparently been sold out everywhere (Amazon currently has it listed on backorder for 2-5 weeks). If it really sold that little then it seems to me that the game had an equally small print run that it managed to sell through.

Top Bottom