• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

I just fought the final boss? and lost. I think I could have won but all my zings started to fail... meh.

I'm not even sure if I should be fighting that fight. There are so many unsolved quests!

What I posted isn't anything you don't already know. I just put it in spoiler tags for other folks.
Ok.

Well I obviously knew about that but from their conversation it looked like they had already met?

I just fought the final boss? and lost. I think I could have won but all my zings started to fail... meh.

I'm not even sure if I should be fighting that fight. There are so many unsolved quests!

I think I'm at the same point?

Went back in time via the digsite.
Maribel hasn't rejoined and I haven't found the torban player (the guy in Hubble that I assume is the guy was all depressed last visit), so I assume the big bad will survive this and the game will keep going.

I think I'm at the same point?

Went back in time via the digsite.
Maribel hasn't rejoined and I haven't found the torban player (the guy in Hubble that I assume is the guy was all depressed last visit), so I assume the big bad will survive this and the game will keep going.

You assume...right.

Taruranto

How do user-made tablets work? Like, what's the general level?

I have this example for example:

Boss Lv. 1
Found by Lv. 1
With Lv. 1
And Lv. 1
Owner.... Lv. 77 WAT

What's the general level for this?

NolbertoS

You know you can learn kazing, right?? Zing is a lower success spell of Phoenix Down using FF analogy. Kazing is a high success spell that always works Higher classes learn Kazing. That should help you out in the final battle.

This game is good, it's hard to put down. Haven't been able to say that about a jrpg in years. At the same time though the formula is pretty transparent to me as someone who has played jrpgs since the 90s, and of course this IS a remake of an old game. Still though, it's so easy to spot inconveniences in world design, tedious battles, common tropes, etc.. I almost have to suspend disbelief like a wrestling fan. That said, I don't think about it too much while playing, I'm just along for the ride.

Oregano

I can't get any more tablets from the download bar because I'm carrying too many, is there anyway to get rid of some?

It's a really weird limitation.

Taruranto

I can't get any more tablets from the download bar because I'm carrying too many, is there anyway to get rid of some?

It's a really weird limitation.

It's the area where the monsters are stored, you can access it from a teleport in the same underground tunnel the pedestal is in Haven. Talk to the old man.

Be sure to get the munchies from the table too!

Oregano

It's the area where the monsters are stored, you can access it from a teleport in the same underground tunnel the pedestal is in Haven. Talk to the old man.

Be sure to get the munchies from the table too!

Ahh cool, I must have missed that. I might as well get some of my monsters to find new tablets for me whilst I'm at it then.

Evilmaus

So I've never played a single DQ game. Is this a good place to start?

I'm torn between this and DQ Builders, but I'm aware builders strays from the game's original style.

Oregano

I'm torn between this and DQ Builders, but I'm aware builders strays from the game's original style.

It's an excellent place to start, but pretty much all of the modern games are. If you like classic turn based RPGs this is perfect for you.

Evilmaus

It's an excellent place to start, but pretty much all of the modern games are. If you like classic turn based RPGs this is perfect for you.

Sounds good! I'm all about turn based RPG's.
May need to wait for a bit though, as World Of Final Fantasy is out this month too, and I just don't have time to commit to both 🤔

Oregano

Sounds good! I'm all about turn based RPG's.
May need to wait for a bit though, as World Of Final Fantasy is out this month too, and I just don't have time to commit to both 🤔

Yeah, this one definitely needs a time commitment. It's a very long game.

LordKano

I wouldn't say it's the best place to start, since it's the longest game in the series, but if you're not afraid of putting 70hours+ in it then you're good.

Evilmaus

I wouldn't say it's the best place to start, since it's the longest game in the series, but if you're not afraid of putting 70hours+ in it then you're good.

Yeah that's fine. I'm no stranger to longer RPG's, just so long as the writing is good and the story is engaging. Otherwise you're relying on game mechanics to carry it, which can be tricky 50+ hours into a turn-based RPG 😅

Beat the final boss last night, a bit burnt out atm so I will save the extra stuff for later. Really a great game and probably my favourite rpg on the system, only thing I really didn't like was that the game didn't just give you a 5 hero party, it feels a bit silly leaving one of your guys behind for the final battle.

Joqu

Yeah that's fine. I'm no stranger to longer RPG's, just so long as the writing is good and the story is engaging. Otherwise you're relying on game mechanics to carry it, which can be tricky 50+ hours into a turn-based RPG 😅

Ought to be fine, I wouldn't play DQ7 for the mechanics.

... I wouldn't play it for the main story either tho. To me it's about the vignettes so far

Taruranto

Finally Ruff is a Champion, getting all my good abilities back, at least.

Not sure what I'm going to make the Hero. He would be fine as a Corsair I guess since he gets Sword Dance and some decent buff spells. Hero class should be easier to get into this remake, but it would still require some heavy grinding I guess.

Maribel is most likely going to end as a Druid, with Multiheal from Healslime heart.

Melvyn
... Armamentalist I guess? He would be fine as another Champion I guess, but that's a lot of grinding at this point of the game.

Does anyone know how to get the treasures in the Temple Palace? In the present, the ones behind the women. I got the ones in the past and the
Blood Ruby
, but they still won't let me pass.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Can someone link me to the steps I need to take to speed up the menus on this game? The custom firmware I need and how to install it.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
How do user-made tablets work? Like, what's the general level?

I have this example for example:

Boss Lv. 1
Found by Lv. 1
With Lv. 1
And Lv. 1
Owner.... Lv. 77 WAT

What's the general level for this?

Depends on the monsters and how far you are into the story. Owner level just indicates that the player created the tablet at that level, doesn't have anything to do with the monster strength necessarily. Only really have to factor in monster level. As you share tablets through streetpass or the download bar, the level of the lead monster of those tablets will increase, I believe on all tablets that monster is apart of. I think it makes the enemies tougher but not sure what else happens, if anything. Since those monsters are all level 1, none of that really matters, but just saying so you have a basic idea.

But anyway, only way to know how tough it is is to try it.

Oregano

Beat the final boss last night, a bit burnt out atm so I will save the extra stuff for later. Really a great game and probably my favourite rpg on the system, only thing I really didn't like was that the game didn't just give you a 5 hero party, it feels a bit silly leaving one of your guys behind for the final battle.

Yeah it's a weird design choice.

Sharkeye should have totally joined the party too.

EDIT:
How do I access to the tower South East of the aeolus vale?

Don't worry about it for the time being.

Oregano

End game spoiler:

Is it explained what happens to Frobisher? Everyone has disappeared.

I've yet to go through the cathedral of blight.

Getting my ass handed to me by the fire-breathing randoms in the
underwater palace before Gracos.
Does anyone have any suggestions? This is the first snag I've hit, I don't remember getting stuck here in the original.

Oregano

Does anyone have any suggestions? This is the first snag I've hit, I don't remember getting stuck here in the original.

I got wrecked by them too. Do you have a Sage?

I think this was a point in the game where you could still status effect enemies to make them waste turns, but I forget exactly what statuses/dances were best.

Those enemies are tough as crap. Try to avoid them. If you must fight, they're weak to confusion. If you have someone who mastered dancer, do the dance that confuses all of them. If not, settle for the Lucida Shard.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Glad I was not the only one who struggled with them. They have a ton of health on top of everything else as well.

solidsprite

Neo Member
Which of these would be the best starting point for someone new to the series (but not new to JRPGs in general): VII, VIII or IX?

I'm hesitant to buy into VII because of the time investment.

Linkura

Which of these would be the best starting point for someone new to the series (but not new to JRPGs in general): VII, VIII or IX?

Of those, I'd say VIII, but they are releasing it on 3DS soon with a lot of new stuff, so I'd wait for that. IX is quite different in a lot of ways than the other DQs. VII is probably the roughest starting point as it's basically a DQ game for DQ lovers. VIII is the most "modern" in many respects, but also plays to its roots, so I'd say it's a good starting point.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member

I feel like this is a pretty easy answer. VII is out now on handheld which makes it easy to pick up and play and has minimal load times. VIII is cool but you should have a PS2 and a CRT to play since that's preferred over the mobile port. Even so, the PS2 version has some annoying loading times that turned me off on a game of that length. I thought IX was forgettable all around. So get VII now and don't let yourself get burned out on it. Take your time and play in small chunks. You'll have plenty of time to beat it before VIII comes out on 3DS.

If you are worried about time investment, don't do viii. It's basically as long but with less content.

IX is fairly short

MoonFrog

I forget how long IX is, but I remember VIII as being pretty long back in 2005 or whenever it was that it came out. Pre-VII games are shorter. VI was I think 40 hours for me with V being shorter than that and the NES games, I-IV, even shorter. I could be remembering wrong.

I started the series at VIII myself. I particularly like IV, V, VII, and VIII. I like the rest that I've played (I-IX, with only III still unfinished but I've been working on that again after DQVII 3DS). Of VII, VIII, IX, VIII is probably the easiest to get into from a fan of JRPG in general as it cloaks the light plot, chain of vignettes behind a more talkative voiced cast and a persistent bad guy you are chasing. VII probably has the best vignettes. I don't dislike IX, but it didn't stick with me as well as other DQs have.

But personally, I'd really recommend IV. It is short but has a very charming structure and the vignettes are built around characters that will form your party. If you really like the vignettes, then do VII. If you want heavier main story and characters, do V and/or VIII. Dig into the series deeper from there. You can play most of these games on DS/3DS or phone.

Linkura

Of those, I'd say VIII,

If you are worried about time investment, don't do viii. It's basically as long but with less content.

IX is fairly short

get VII now

neogaf.gif

But personally, I'd really recommend IV. It is short but has a very charming structure and the vignettes are built around characters that will form your party. If you really like the vignettes, then do VII. If you want heavier main story and characters, do V and/or VIII. Dig into the series deeper from there. You can play most of these games on DS/3DS or phone.

I'd recommend IV as well if the entire series is on the table.

MoonFrog

IV would be a good starting point, but wasn't listed in his choices so...

True. That's why I had my second paragraph.

To sum that up and make myself more clear:

Among those 3, VIII will probably feel the most like another JRPG on the surface. VII is the better of the two that are more idiosyncratically DQ. I'd recommend those on those grounds, but they are both long. I don't remember how long IX was.

Brought up IV because it is short and I think it is a good way to test what you want out of Dragon Quest imo. Better diagnostic than any of those three and I think it is readily available on phones at least (idk what the DS version is going for).

Linkura

IX is the shortest of the 3 he listed, but you can spend a long time on optional stuff. My husband spent hundreds of hours on it (he's also a crazy DQ fan like I am).

coopolon

So should I just use seeds as I find them, not worrying if a characters leave? Or should I just use them all in the avatar.

I'm in the first dungeon. I've only played maybe 10 hours of dragon quest iv before this and never used seeds due to analysis paralysis.

Top Bottom