• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

LuchaShaq

Banned
I literally just beat the game solo.

You won't be locked out of anything. It may take you longer to reach lvl 99. But that's the only downside to playing the game solo. I did it as an Elf, which was supposed to be a difficult character.

Thanks for the info, glad to see Elf is soloable that/the fighter are by far and away the two classes I want to play just due to their look.

dwix

Finally unlocked the online last night, and oh man is it amazing. Rolled with a really solid group and leveled up 8 times while conquering a bunch of the harder bosses. Can't wait to jump on again tonight.

JokerAceX

As someone who does 99% of their gaming solo, is there much content I'll be locked out of/can't realistically beat solo?

The only time i found it was necessary to have ai partners was for fighting the kraken seeing as you have to manually load the canons the ai will do it you just have to light them with the torch.

Pejo

Man, some of the people online need to chill out. Had an Amazon in the party just rush through each area like they were playing Sonic the Hedgehog. What's the point of that?

Love the game, though. Most genuine fun I've had in ages with the PS3.

Yea that can get frustrating, but to be fair to the Amazon, they attack slow as balls once their berserk stacks reset. I find myself rushing stages a lot more when i'm on Amazon too.

Deitus

Minotaur and Vampire
down. What's the advantage of saving the girls in the
Vampire
boss fight?

I believe you get a score bonus based on how many you save. Also, the less that get turned, the less
vampires
you have to fight, but I think you could avoid that by not saving them in the first place (haven't actually tested it though).

VITA version is on sale at NewEgg for $34.99 with free shipping.

F*** them. I *still* haven't even received my preordered game from them that was shipped out Monday August 5th and I'm betting it won't even have the preorder artbook either.

Never ordering anything from Newegg again. Pretty pissed at Atlus too for not sorting out the preorder stuff with their supposed preorder retailers (like Newegg).

maomaoIYP

The only time i found it was necessary to have ai partners was for fighting the kraken seeing as you have to manually load the canons the ai will do it you just have to light them with the torch.
That part can be done with no AI partners. You don't even need to light the cannons, just takeout the tentacle that goes for the mast as soon as possible and just avoid the rest.

Minotaur and Vampire
down. What's the advantage of saving the girls in the
Vampire
boss fight?
3000 points per saved girl.

Skerj

Man, some of the people online need to chill out. Had an Amazon in the party just rush through each area like they were playing Sonic the Hedgehog. What's the point of that?

Love the game, though. Most genuine fun I've had in ages with the PS3.

Had the same thing last night, oddly enough with an Amazon as well. I'm trying to get us useful benefits from runes like double score, extra item stock, and the extra lifepoint from Phoenix Incantation and it was just a rush through the room asap.

Also breaking open 2 boxes and taking ALL the food, fortunately I'm using Wizard at the moment so I started teleporting in as soon as a box was broken to claim 2 pieces for myself. I'd normally give people more credit and believe they thought I was AI because I take all the food from the AI too, but they saw my cursor and checked my name.

This is probably a stupid question but can you change equipment during a quest?

Not a stupid question at all because the proper way to do it isn't open until you unlock online.
You store extra sets of equipment in bags with your second one being free and the others costing 2k a piece for a maximum of 9 bags.
However, you can only change these during quests when you pick which path to take.

F*** them. I *still* haven't even received my preordered game from them that was shipped out Monday August 5th and I'm betting it won't even have the preorder artbook either.

Never ordering anything from Newegg again. Pretty pissed at Atlus too for not sorting out the preorder stuff with their supposed preorder retailers (like Newegg).

agreed. The only thing that makes newegg bearable is the fact that they offered a 10off discount for PO

Skill offer to hook me up with an extra book but he got banned =(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is probably a stupid question but can you change equipment during a quest?
You can only change equipment after you finish a quest. It's why you see some characters that have multiple weapons in the same bag.

I believe you get a score bonus based on how many you save. Also, the less that get turned, the less
vampires
you have to fight, but I think you could avoid that by not saving them in the first place (haven't actually tested it though).
One of the side quests also requires this as a condition.

Emika Kidas rabbit art is the best. Is she on twitter or anyone else from VanillaWare?

Btw. Amazon.de and a lot other retailer list the pal version for the 11th October if you're still holding out for that one.

Hag

yeah some people online rush things like a fucking retard or take all the food.

In the beginning was the worst though, everyone using the cursor like crazy. But everyone was a noob so it was funny if you think about it lol

agreed. The only thing that makes newegg bearable is the fact that they offered a 10off discount for PO

Skill offer to hook me up with an extra book but he got banned =(

Well I just sent an email to "Monica" who has been (kind of) working with me on Newegg customer support. I asked her to please reimburse me $6.00 so I don't have to go through the hassle of filing for a RMA, returning the $40 preordered game (once I receive it!) and ordering the game from them at $34.99.

We'll see what they say.

I did hear back from Atlus yesterday finally. They said basically the same thing someone else said last week in this thread that preorder bonuses are "bonuses" and are not guaranteed, they had no more artbooks to send out, blah blah blah.

Very disappointed in how Newegg and Atlus both have handled this situation and I blame them both. Sure - I can understand not having enough of a preordered physical item (like a CD or an artbook) but there was absolutely NO indication given that by simply preordering from the wrong retailer that I would not receive the preorder item. And Newegg was one of six or so retailers listed on Atlus' own Dragon's Crown website that one could presumably preorder the game from AND get the preordered item. Except for one guy in this thread who said he preordered from Newegg and got the artbook (who never responded to any questions) I have not heard of anyone on this thread or elsewhere on the web that received the artbook from Newegg. So I'm not expecting to receive it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Well I just sent an email to "Monica" who has been (kind of) working with me on Newegg customer support. I asked her to please reimburse me $6.00 so I don't have to go through the hassle of filing for a RMA, returning the $40 preordered game (once I receive it!) and ordering the game from them at $34.99.

We'll see what they say.

I did hear back from Atlus yesterday finally. They said basically the same thing someone else said last week in this thread that preorder bonuses are "bonuses" and are not guaranteed, they had no more artbooks to send out, blah blah blah.

Very disappointed in how Newegg and Atlus both have handled this situation and I blame them both. Sure - I can understand not having enough of a preordered physical item (like a CD or an artbook) but there was absolutely NO indication given that by simply preordering from the wrong retailer that I would not receive the preorder item. And Newegg was one of six or so retailers listed on Atlus' own Dragon's Crown website that one could presumably preorder the game from AND get the preordered item. Except for one guy in this thread who said he preordered from Newegg and got the artbook (who never responded to any questions) I have not heard of anyone on this thread or elsewhere on the web that received the artbook from Newegg. So I'm not expecting to receive it.

This is a phenomenon that is no stranger to NewEgg. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, it's best to assume that their games come with no pre-order bonuses. This has happened quite a few times, even with bonuses that allegedly come with all first print runs of a game.

Both Gamestop and Amazon listed the pre-order bonus.

Wanny

Beat the game at level 30 on normal as dwarf. Best game I've played this year. And first time I want to continue on higher difficulties!

DLC potential is enormous as well.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Beat the game at level 30 on normal as dwarf. Best game I've played this year. And first time I want to continue on higher difficulties!

DLC potential is enormous as well.

Have they said anything about potential DLC? I'd love a new character or two.

This is a phenomenon that is no stranger to NewEgg. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, it's best to assume that their games come with no pre-order bonuses. This has happened quite a few times, even with bonuses that allegedly come with all first print runs of a game.

Both Gamestop and Amazon listed the pre-order bonus.

Well I know that *now* but its total bullshit that they are listed as a retailer to preorder from on Atlus' own website with a big fat picture of a preorder bonus item and NO indication that Newegg will NOT be providing said preorder item.

I haven't been preordering games for very long and only recently (last couple of years) got back into consoles, so I had no idea that Newegg was exempt from providing preorder items even though there is absolutely no indication as such. I don't remember Amazon showing that they offered the preorder item on their website either but they sent the preorder artbook out to customers who preordered the game from them.

This rage is not directed at you Guardian so please don't think I'm venting at you. This situation is just a mess and it floors me that video game customers seem to think being treated this way is fine? Not saying you personally are fine with it, but in all of the threads online I have read about Newegg not sending preorder items it is just amazing to me that video game customers in general seem to be okay with companies screwing them over.

But it's okay. Its just a stupid little artbook and yes I know its not something major. Just the lack of care from corporations like Newegg and Atlus to a situation like this is what is surprising and dissappointing me the most Guess this will cure me from preordering in the future. :)

I haven't heard back but if I do, I'm sure it'll be the same.

I'm completely livid since it doesn't seem unreasonable to click on a link from an Atlus web page advertising pre-order bonuses, to a store that you would easily assume include a pre-order bonus in your pre-order.

And then when it doesn't come through you get shrugged shoulders from newegg (I don't expect much from them) as well as Atlus (I did kinda expect better).

That was REALLY disappointing, especially since the artbook is one oft he main reasons I pre-ordered. I know it's entirely inadvertent, but ti feels like a complete and utter bait and switch. My retail copy of the game is less complete and "worse" than if I had pre-ordered elsewhere.

I'll never buy a game from newegg ever again, and this experience completely soured me on Atlus's otherwise generous pre-order incentives.

:\

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Well I know that *now* but its total bullshit that they are listed as a retailer to preorder from on Atlus' own website with a big fat picture of a preorder bonus item and NO indication that Newegg will NOT be providing said preorder item.

I haven't been preordering games for very long and only recently (last couple of years) got back into consoles, so I had no idea that Newegg was exempt from providing preorder items even though there is absolutely no indication as such. I don't remember Amazon showing that they offered the preorder item on their website either but they did.

This rage is not directed at you Guardian so please don't think I'm venting at you. This situation is just a mess and it floors me that as customers seem to think being treated this way is fine? Not saying you personally are fine with it, but in all of the threads online I have read about Newegg not sending preorder items it is just amazing to me that video game customers in general seem to be okay with companies screwing them over.

But it's okay. Its just a stupid little artbook and yes I know its not something major. Just the lack of care from corporations like Newegg and Atlus to a situation like this is what is surprising and dissappointing me the most Guess this will cure me from preordering in the future. :)

But Amazon did include it in the description:
  • The 64-page art book (Dragons Crown Artworks) will be included.

And I don't think that Atlus page ever explicitly said which retailers would carry the bonus. In fact, I think it mentioned "select retailers", but I can't access the page to check. But, I get it. It's absolutely frustrating. I'd be pissed too. You should absolutely fight it tooth and nail, but the anger should be directed really at NewEgg. I don't know what's going on with their distribution.

Basically, people fought Newegg over this before. The reason why some people aren't really batting eyelids is because we've been where you are now. I went ahead and returned my pre-ordered copy of Project X Zone, and bought a retail copy instead.

Rather than discourage you from pre-ordering, I'd use it as a reminder that if I care enough about a pre-order bonus, I'm going to make sure that the store will get it, small discount be damned.

I'm completely livid since it doesn't seem unreasonable to click on a link from an Atlus web page advertising pre-order bonuses, to a store that you would easily assume include a pre-order bonus in your pre-order.

And then when it doesn't come through you get shrugged shoulders from newegg (I don't expect much from them) as well as Atlus (I did kinda expect better).

That was REALLY disappointing, especially since the artbook is one oft he main reasons I pre-ordered. I know it's entirely inadvertent, but ti feels like a complete and utter bait and switch. My retail copy of the game is less complete and "worse" than if I had pre-ordered elsewhere.

I'll never buy a game from newegg ever again, and this experience completely soured me on Atlus's otherwise generous pre-order incentives.

I understand your frustration, but I don't see how it is Atlus's responsibility to send you another artbook when Newegg chose not to send you one with your order. You would have been able to learn this information beforehand if you had read all of the terms and conditions.

So I received a request to find a lost ship at the Pirate's Cove, but after going through the level a second time I couldn't find anything. What am I missing?

Sushigod7

Wow that does blow Newegg's customer service is really crap stopped using them last year after a issue with a Wii U pre-order. Just watch on eBay and try to grab one for cheap while a bunch are out there. I've seen some sell for decent prices maybe even with the game.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So I received a request to find a lost ship at the Pirate's Cove, but after going through the level a second time I couldn't find anything. What am I missing?
This one kind of sucks: enter the area where the narrator starts off saying "they were being duplicitous!" as pirates spawn and then click on the boat's flag right of the entrance.

Deitus

As you go through the level, one of the doors you can enter takes you to the deck of a ship. I'm pretty sure there is nothing special you need to do to get here other than having Ranny unlock it. Once you get there, you need proof that the ship you are on is the specific ship you are looking for.
Move your cursor over a sign posted on the ship and click on it to complete the quest. If I recall correctly, the sign has a picture of a ship on it.

Edit: Beaten

Have they said anything about potential DLC? I'd love a new character or two.

War Cleric class, please! And a proper Rogue.

This one kind of sucks: enter the area where the narrator starts off saying "they were being duplicitous!" as pirates spawn and then click on the boat's flag right of the entrance.
As you go through the level, one of the doors you can enter takes you to the deck of a ship. I'm pretty sure there is nothing special you need to do to get here other than having Ranny unlock it. Once you get there, you need proof that the ship you are on is the specific ship you are looking for.
Move your cursor over a sign posted on the ship and click on it to complete the quest. If I recall correctly, the sign has a picture of a ship on it.

Edit: Beaten

Ahh, thanks. I had a feeling it had something to do with that room but I didn't put 2 and 2 together I guess. Thanks!

web01

The artbook is crap, the paper and colour printing is very low quality. I was extremely disappointed expected better quality from Atlus. If you didn't get sent the pre order bonus you are not missing out on anything good.

Ran rp

The artbook is crap, the paper and colour printing is very low quality. I was extremely disappointed expected better quality from Atlus. If you didn't get sent the pre order bonus you are not missing out on anything good.

The colors are a bit dark and muddy, and my book did came with a banged up spine, but hey, it's free!

Skerj

Yeah it sucks, trust me I've been there. I've enough of my preorder bonuses sniped from Gamestop employees (Mirror's Edge Bag) or they just gave them away to whoever appeared even though I was the only one to preorder the bloody game (Persona 4 artbook) to see where you're coming from.

Hell when SFIV came out one of the employees kept the TE stick I paid for and refunded me the money because he wanted it. I'd later find out that he didn't even have a PS3 and never actually bought the stick as it stayed there for 2 weeks, I stopped preordering from there.

Fortunately it's still early so like a previous post suggested, hit eBay and snag the artbook while they're still cheap. I've recouped my nifty bonuses that way in the past, definitely not favorable since you were supposed to get it in the first place but at least you'll have it without having to pay that Collector's Markup in a few months. I'd give you one if I had an extra.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I wouldn't call it crap. It's a 64 page book with thick, sturdy pages. And it was free.

I wouldn't call it crap. It's a 64 page book with thick, sturdy pages. And it was free.

my thoughts exactly. I would expect more out of a real artbook, like early design stuff, commentary, etc. but you gotta realize this is a free version, it's actually pretty good considering that. that said, those who didn't get one aren't missing out on much. it's worth a once through and then its off to eternal dust collecting damnation

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
my thoughts exactly. I would expect more out of a real artbook, like early design stuff, commentary, etc. but you gotta realize this is a free version, it's actually pretty good considering that. that said, those who didn't get one aren't missing out on much. it's worth a once through and then its off to eternal dust collecting damnation

That got me thinking.

How does Vanillaware NOT have large artbooks printed in the U.S. for OdinSphere, Muramasa, and Dragon's Crown?

If you had to assign an arbitrary dollar value to it like ebay's completed listings do, then it's a $15 bonus that newegg somehow chose or somehow didn't get to hand out to pre-order customers. To get the same item I would have gotten on amazon I'd have to pay $65 instead of $50.

Again, all hands are tied and it's spilled milk, but it's one of those unfortunate jealousy situation where "everyone else" has gotten it, except me for choosing the one wrong pre-order merchant listed on the atlus web page.

Lesson learned: buy your amazon-themed games from Amazon.com.

Top Bottom